News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

UNCgolf

They did know what they were doing a while back, but then everyone clowned on them for The Last Jedi so they lost the plot as a result of that.

They never did. Force Awakens was pretty bad, and basically torpedoed the rest of the trilogy because it gave the sequel almost nothing to work with. I wasn't the biggest fan of Last Jedi either, but I think Rian Johnson was hamstrung by the awful choices from Force Awakens.

Regardless of personal opinions about the films' quality, though, the biggest issue is that they didn't have any kind of overarching plan for the trilogy from the start. The plan of having three separate directors each make their own film and do whatever they wanted with it didn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Miru

They had no plan for that trilogy. Each director seemingly did whatever they wanted.
Yes, they did. Too bad the plans at Disney, regardless of where you go, are made of Jenga pieces; the parks, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, WDAS, etc.

Lasseter was a darn great Jenga player, and now that he’s gone the plans are a lot more fragile.

Tha Realest

They never did. Force Awakens was pretty bad, and basically torpedoed the rest of the trilogy because it gave the sequel almost nothing to work with. I wasn't the biggest fan of Last Jedi either, but I think Rian Johnson was hamstrung by the awful choices from Force Awakens.

Regardless of personal opinions about the films' quality, though, the biggest issue is that they didn't have any kind of overarching plan for the trilogy from the start. The plan of having three separate directors each make their own film and do whatever they wanted with it didn't make any sense.
They did have a plan, though. Arndt and Lucas sold the property with a plotted out sequel trilogy. We’ll never know whether it would have been better or worse - but there was a planned out trilogy. Kennedy and Abrams made a power move push to jettison those plans in favor of TFA.

I disagree that TFA left them “nothing to work with.” I don’t want to rehash TLJ arguments, but TFA was both financially and critically an astounding success. It made over $2 billion at the worldwide box office and has a 93% RT score - a lot of audience and critics alike loved this film.

But to your broader point, I agree - it is an Enron level corporate malfeasance that they didn’t set out with a coherent plan in place for the TFA trilogy going forward. Whether that lies at the feet of Iger, Lucasfilm, Abrams or Johnson is up for others to decide.

UNCgolf

They did have a plan, though. Arndt and Lucas sold the property with a plotted out sequel trilogy. We’ll never know whether it would have been better or worse - but there was a planned out trilogy. Kennedy and Abrams made a power move push to jettison those plans in favor of TFA.

I disagree that TFA left them “nothing to work with.” I don’t want to rehash TLJ arguments, but TFA was both financially and critically an astounding success. It made over $2 billion at the worldwide box office and has a 93% RT score - a lot of audience and critics alike loved this film.

But to your broader point, I agree - it is an Enron level corporate malfeasance that they didn’t set out with a coherent plan in place for the TFA trilogy going forward. Whether that lies at the feet of Iger, Lucasfilm, Abrams or Johnson is up for others to decide.

The fact that it was sold with a plan is kind of irrelevant. They chose to make the sequel trilogy without a plan; that was my point.

And yes, TFA was a success both financially and critically, but so was Last Jedi. It obviously didn't make as much money as TFA, but that's partially an indictment on TFA too -- people weren't as excited about going to see Last Jedi because of TFA. But it still pulled in $1.3 billion.

I don't think I was a wild outlier. There were a lot of people who saw TFA in the theaters, enjoyed it because it was a new Star Wars film, then when they actually thought about it and/or watched it a second time, they realized it wasn't very good. I liked it when I saw it a couple of weeks after release, but when I watched it again at home (before Last Jedi was released) I didn't like it at all and it made me lose interest in even going to see TLJ in the theater. I think nearly every choice Abrams made in TFA was a bad one.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This is admitting the franchise had already been bungled by Lucas and is thus not bulletproof.
Not in the slightest. The prequels have aged surprisingly well, with the exception of Ep 1. None of the 3 sequel movies can stand up to even that low bar.

This really isn’t difficult but continued reading comprehension issues and ardent defending of the crap put out under KK by some are going to have me waving bye bye.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It was crap. A movie that raked because it was an “event movie” fueled by pent up anti- George cgi rage and really nothing more. A remake/reboot that no one on earth ever asked for in place of probably the most anticipated sequel in Hollywood history. All they had to do was poll some of the fanbase and they could have found that out in less than 10 minutes. They never did. It’s on Iger…100%…whether we want to admit it or not. Pattern in retrospect is the verdict.
The fact that it was sold with a plan is kind of irrelevant. They chose to make the sequel trilogy without a plan; that was my point.

And yes, TFA was a success both financially and critically, but so was Last Jedi. It obviously didn't make as much money as TFA, but that's partially an indictment on TFA too -- people weren't as excited about going to see Last Jedi because of TFA. But it still pulled in $1.3 billion.

I don't think I was a wild outlier. There were a lot of people who saw TFA in the theaters, enjoyed it because it was a new Star Wars film, then when they actually thought about it and/or watched it a second time, they realized it wasn't very good. I liked it when I saw it a couple of weeks after release, but when I watched it again at home (before Last Jedi was released) I didn't like it at all and it made me lose interest in even going to see TLJ in the theater. I think nearly every choice Abrams made in TFA was a bad one.
1000%.

Dead on 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not in the slightest. The prequels have aged surprisingly well, with the exception of Ep 1. None of the 3 sequel movies can stand up to even that low bar.

This really isn’t difficult but continued reading comprehension issues and ardent defending of the crap put out under KK by some are going to have me waving bye bye.
I think the prequel bump is 99% due to Disney just absolutely…inexplicably…destroying it. The prequels are crap…but far more watchable now because the last stuff is not tolerable at all.

Just as mark hamill’s performances in empire and Jedi look like sir Lawrence Olivier or Brando now in comparison to the rest…and for those that don’t remember or weren’t around…that was NOT what we thought in the OT era. Star Wars was just the coolest thing ever put to screen by the team at that time and for many years later. Now it’s citizen kane because of how stupid bad studio execs went afterward.

Miru

…due to mismanagement…much moreso than lack of potential
Mismanagement means that an IP technically hasn’t “run its course”; moreso it “ran the wrong course” and needs a reboot to try and get it to truly “run its course”, though perhaps a 3 strikes rule is needed to prevent the utter destruction of a franchise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mismanagement means that an IP technically hasn’t “run its course”; moreso it “ran the wrong course” and needs a reboot to try and get it to truly “run its course”, though perhaps a 3 strikes rule is needed to prevent the utter destruction of a franchise.
Disney has defiantly…intentionally…not course corrected.

It seems clear they decided (don’t have to look far to figure out who?) that they were intent on “re-inventing” what it was.

Bad move. Not surprising

Miru

Disney has defiantly…intentionally…not course corrected.

It seems clear they decided (don’t have to look far to figure out who?) that they were intent on “re-inventing” what it was.

Bad move. Not surprising
With The Acolyte, it’s like “We tried appealing to old fans, but they rejected us, so let’s do our own thing from now on”, with even the fanservice of the Sequel trilogy gone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With The Acolyte, it’s like “We tried appealing to old fans, but they rejected us, so let’s do our own thing from now on”, with even the fanservice of the Sequel trilogy gone.
And that…was terrible…as not at all surprising

And they never “tried”…because it involved understanding first and that was never the goal

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom