News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Inspired Figment

The biggest takeaway from this, might ultimately be that original content pales in comparison to the emotional draw of IP.
or ya know.. could simply be that not only was the price almost entirely out of reach to the typical family but guests at a Star Wars hotel expect to see the most famous characters they’d grown to love for 40+ years. The non-ip vs ip argument doesn’t work here because clearly, it’s specifically supposed to be themed around the Star Wars IP and fails to do it properly. It’s not rocket science.

Original content truly only works best for an original, new concept. Not to say you can’t do sequels or extensions tastefully, but you have to do it in a way that respects the core foundations of said franchise (see Star Tours). Disney hasn’t been very good at this as of late, with the exception of basically the first couple seasons of Mandolorian and the like. You don’t go on a Mickey Mouse ride and then you’re presented with an alternate universe of said franchise where Mickey and the Gang, familiar landscapes, etc. aren’t core characters or parts in little to no capacity. That’s just stupid. You keep the core foundations, locations, etc. folks love from the movie and simply continue and add more parts to the story, development, etc. from there. It’s not that hard.

Last edited:

Brian

Disney really needs a new CEO with a fresh perspective.
I know just the man for the job.

230117130618-bob-chapek-1108-file-restricted.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All this because I dared to point out that it has received generally positive reviews from those who’ve experienced it and might have done well if priced more affordably.
Saying “positive reviews” diverts blame back to the customers who are “just too poor” to pony up for this “amazing experience”

Be sure to sue Iger for damages after the years of psychological messaging he’s subjected you to.

LittleBuford

No one wanted to go. No Luke,Han,Leia. No Darth Vader and original storm troopers.
Disney screwed it up.
It’s a fact that it received many positive reviews from those who did go.

It’s a supposition that it may have done better had it been more affordably priced.

The latter, which is my subjective opinion, is something I’m happy to be challenged on. The former, however, should not prompt cries of “Those people are fooling themselves!” from posters who simply can’t credit that others may not feel as they do.

MagicRat

Harmonious was bad and so was this hotel but what really had me confused was the Lightning McQueen show in the white box replacing the Villain’s Party. That was an up charge event worth keeping. All you can drink and dancers for the dads, rare character opportunities and fun deserts for the moms and well the kids had fun too.

I support a lot more things the company does than most on here but man why Villains Party?

CinematicFusion

Walk into the Boardwalk lobby and there are 8-10 Cast Members stationed there.

Dump the more exotic aspects of this, turn it into a regular hotel themed for Star Wars, use the dining hall as an ADR experience, and run the shuttle to Galaxy’s Edge.

Maybe turn some of the space into retail.

The rooms are small, not something you want to stay in for an entire vacation. But at the right price, this will fill up, with many Guests wanting to try the experience and willing to do a split stay to try it.

No pool or extensive grounds to maintain. Heck, no windows to clean. ;) Disney has already sunk the cost into the building and furnishings. Now it’s just left with a small structure to maintain. There’s got to be a way to get opex way down.

The problem is this was a $2500 per night experience. Remove all the expensive extras (e.g. DHS tickets, GE LL access, Cast Member intensive experiences, etc.) and I think there’s a way to turn this into a nice little experience that most WDW Guests would like to do and can afford.
The problem was the experience. It wasn’t Star Wars. I would have paid the money and wanted to but once I saw it was Disney Star Wars I wasn’t interested. Nothing felt like the George Lucas Star Wars with Vader and company.
Everyone knew not using those characters was a mistake.

LittleBuford

Saying “positive reviews” diverts blame back to the customers who are “just too poor” to pony up for this “amazing experience”

Be sure to sue Iger for damages after the years of psychological messaging he’s subjected you to.
I’m not blaming anyone for being put off by the price. The fault is entirely Disney’s for making it so prohibitively expensive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Walk into the Boardwalk lobby and there are 8-10 Cast Members stationed there.

Dump the more exotic aspects of this, turn it into a regular hotel themed for Star Wars, use the dining hall as an ADR experience, and run the shuttle to Galaxy’s Edge.

Maybe turn some of the space into retail.

The rooms are small, not something you want to stay in for an entire vacation. But at the right price, this will fill up, with many Guests wanting to try the experience and willing to do a split stay to try it.

No pool or extensive grounds to maintain. Heck, no windows to clean. ;) Disney has already sunk the cost into the building and furnishings. Now it’s just left with a small structure to maintain. There’s got to be a way to get opex way down.

The problem is this was a $2500 per night experience. Remove all the expensive extras (e.g. DHS tickets, GE LL access, Cast Member intensive experiences, etc.) and I think there’s a way to turn this into a nice little experience that most WDW Guests would like to do and can afford.
It has no amenities.

It’s dead.

It’s going to be razed…or razed under the banner of “reimagineeing” to save face

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom