News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

ParentsOf4

There's no way they could lower the prices and keep it profitable. It was an incredibly cast heavy experience and the cost of cast is increasing rapidly.
Walk into the Boardwalk lobby and there are 8-10 Cast Members stationed there.

Dump the more exotic aspects of this, turn it into a regular hotel themed for Star Wars, use the dining hall as an ADR experience, and run the shuttle to Galaxy’s Edge.

Maybe turn some of the space into retail.

The rooms are small, not something you want to stay in for an entire vacation. But at the right price, this will fill up, with many Guests wanting to try the experience and willing to do a split stay to try it.

No pool or extensive grounds to maintain. Heck, no windows to clean. ;) Disney has already sunk the cost into the building and furnishings. Now it’s just left with a small structure to maintain. There’s got to be a way to get opex way down.

The problem is this was a $2500 per night experience. Remove all the expensive extras (e.g. DHS tickets, GE LL access, Cast Member intensive experiences, etc.) and I think there’s a way to turn this into a nice little experience that most WDW Guests would like to do and can afford.

pdude81

Equity was not on two day long shifts. Equity came in for the evening did their shows and then they would leave. From paying them standpoint this was no different than equity showing up for any other entertainment shifts, performing the role, and then going home until the next shift they have to report for.

I'm also not specifically aware of any college program activity at the star cruiser. That doesn't mean there wasn't any but Most of the onboard services were handled by full time cast members who had to transfer into the role.
I can't speak to the equity cast leaving and returning, but that makes sense. They really were kind of visible for the most part from like 3:30-11:30. However their roles required knowing the names and basic alliances of many of the guests over those two days. Also it would involve inviting guests to small group gatherings set throughout the duration of the voyage. I see this as a much more significant assignment than if they were to be in HDDR or meeting guests at Akershus in costume.

Also we have had many reports and pictures going back to the launch where passenger services were largely made up of younger CP members. Much of this is discussed in the massive thread that started when it was announced. I certainly interacted with some supervisors and tech staff that seemed like they were full timers as well, but couldn't ask anyone about their real life backgrounds while in character as a CSL employee.

brettf22

Premium Member
Untitled.jpg

TP2000

Hmmmm, seems just recently the same chorus of pathetic Disney Defenders were trying to convince @TP2000 that this obvious complete bust was a huge hit and we can't extrapolate ANYTHING from the discounting or empty booking calendars. Who knew?!?!

There's only one cabin left on most nights that have vacancies! 🤣

Over in the Starcruiser forum a mere week ago I posted this below...

I don't know how you save it, to be honest. Reducing the operation to 5 days a week in summer and running a 60% vacancy rate the rest of the year is not something that is sustainable. I give it until Christmas at the latest, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see an "announcement" about Galactic Starcruiser this August.

While I'm not the least bit surprised by today's announcement, I'm very mad at myself. I usually preface those types of bold yet easy predictions with the phrase "I would bet ten churros that..." and this time I forgot to type that! :banghead:

I think I deserve a couple of churros out of this Galactic Starcruiser failure, don't you?!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that is part of it. But from running this site, I noticed a distinct change in guest sentiment when this was announced -
…you don’t need my opinion…

…but HEEEEEEEEEE it comes…

I’m glad you brought this up.

This was a Waterloo in my book. Not because they make awful Star Wars movies and crap on the $100,000,000,000 generating fanbase even more than George did…and they do…

…Disney parks are designed and profit off a MIDDLE CLASS model…to billions a year. This was a shot In the face of that model…and the empire started to get restless. Just my opinion.

mightynine

Walk into the Boardwalk lobby and there are 8-10 Cast Members stationed there.

Dump the more exotic aspects of this, turn it into a regular hotel themed for Star Wars, use the dining hall as an ADR experience, and run the shuttle to Galaxy’s Edge.

Maybe turn some of the space into retail.

The rooms are small, not something you want to stay in for an entire vacation. But at the right price, this will fill up, with many Guests wanting to try the experience and willing to do a split stay to try it.

No pool or extensive grounds to maintain. Heck, no windows to clean. ;) Disney has already sunk the cost into the building and furnishings. Now it’s just left with a small structure to maintain. There’s got to be a way to get opex way down.

The problem is this was a $2500 per night experience. Remove all the expensive extras (e.g. DHS tickets, GE LL access, Cast Member intensive experiences, etc.) and I think there’s a way to turn this into a nice little experience that most WDW Guests would like to do and can afford.
I still think the issue becomes the areas that would remain in use (shuttle, restaurant, interactive areas, lightsaber fight show) just weren't built to handle the daily visitor count of the main theme park, so you're probably not able to handle that many more people and you're guaranteed to still make less money overall, right?

Because I, like you, assumed "day trips" would be something in the future that would be done once bookings dried up.

I'd also assume this will lead to the timeline breaking like we've seen over at DL.

WaltsTreasureChest

View attachment 717211
If I were them I would’ve given it one last go by lowering the price a bit and putting in Han, Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader and removing the Sequels. Of course if it was a success they would’ve been eating more humble pie.

Oh well.
Only someone with a brain would’ve added Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker to a, I don’t know, a Star Wars hotel? Which is why that never happened.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good. This is what they get for charging people insane prices for a mediocre experience. The cafeteria they served dinner in with the one rando character was probably the biggest offense.
It’s not an “experience”…it’s a product with an appropriate value.

Stop with this…it’s what’s allowed them to run this car into the ditch for 15 years on slow burn.

Take the narrative back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom