News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

mightynine

Sounds like they're trying to see how they might be able to make parts of Starcrusin' into an add-on package for someone already going to DHS - basically, still pay-walling the dinner and a show while using as much technology as possible to replace as much of the human labor as possible.

Also, if this thing truly had such high guest satisfaction (which to me, should be tempered a bit by the fact that apparently there was a lot of repeat customers, so why wouldn't they score it high), there could still be some valuable data when crafting other guest experiences, upcharge or otherwise, in the future.

adam.adbe

I'd have "marketing" and "price" as my 1/2.

For some reason, Disney's PR never get out ahead of the phrase "$5,000 Star Wars Hotel". That's going to repel a lot of people. And even if you do a great job explaining that it's an experience, not just a hotel, that first impression is tough to overcome.

During the run up to the opening, and even in the early weeks, there was still a lot of confusion even on boards like this as to what exactly the product was. That's a pretty rookie marketing face-plant on Disney's behalf. Guests can't be expected to understand or be excited by a concept if the people making the pitch don't even seem to agree on what they are selling.

"$5,000 Star Wars Hotel" sticks in the mind much better than "highly themed interactive role-playing experience -- but don't worry, the role playing is optional -- in a not-hotel that's like a cruise, but not that much like a cruise."

Choose your market, choose your product, then communicate clearly.

Sir_Cliff

People who are wary are not going to pay top line price for something they'll get made of for on the internet. And while a cruise ship modality compares to the way this is structured, the actual experience doesn't line up at all.
Yes, that is another angle to all of this. To post photos of yourself on social media enjoying Galaxy's Edge or staying at a hypothetical Star Wars hotel is one thing. Posting about participating in a multi-day Star Wars LARP is kind of another.

Dranth

You’re gonna have to take the nametag off before we talk about this…

You already overused the buzzword and it’s getting me nervous
Just going to throw this out there...

It is possible this whole thing was a poor business decision that is doomed to never make them any money while also being loved by those that gave it a try. If pointing that out means I'm a shill then so be it. I'm not going to deny reality just because I don't understand the appeal and would never spend money on it personally.

AEfx

But I also now suspect that there are just not enough deep-pocketed adults who want to cosplay Star Wars. This never turned into the “must do” experience to Keep Up With The Jones.

As always, you make excellent points. As someone who travels in some of these Star Wars circles, I do think this one does need more context. I'm not deep-pocketed, but I am an adult who does spend at least a few grand a year on Star Wars, one way or another. It (and the stuff I create around it) is my main hobby and where my discretionary funds go.

To start, one thing I think far too many dismiss is the Sequel Trilogy theme. I assume this is because of general fatigue on the topic, but it's very easy to quantify this factor. In Star Wars fandom, no matter how hard Disney tried to force it (no pun intended) - the truth of the matter is, if an alien visited Earth, and they walked into a store that had every produced bit of Star Wars merchandise from the last five years, they would have no idea the Sequel Trilogy even existed. It's just a fact.

Dozens and dozens of companies make hundreds and hundreds of new Star Wars products every year, and they will sell anything that they can sell. They got burned with TFA products, only made the bare contractual minimums for TLJ, and had nearly completely given up by RoS. (RoS is the only film in the entire 40-year saga that Hasbro didn't even attempt a sub-line of figures for because the one they launched along side TLJ tanked so badly.) Star Wars products are just as popular as ever - but no one who spends money wants that era. The biggest sellers this year (besides the obvious Grogu/Mando-verse stuff, mostly aimed at mainstream consumers) have been things like background characters from Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi, LOL. That's what people who spend money want, Rey, Poe, Finn, and the rest just don't exist in that world. (There is an occasional Kylo unicorn, but we are talking less than 1% of the stuff that is produced.)

Even if this experience had launched as-is, at the same price point, but just themed around Darth Vader/Rebel Alliance, it would still be in business.

Now, all that said, that wasn't the only problem, but if you follow Star Wars communities, the flow over time was basically like this as all the information was being rolled out:

(initial announcement)

* A Star Wars hotel???!!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! TAKE MY MONEY!!

(soon after)

* Ugh, it's Sequel based? Well, I guess if it's well done...

(the price is announced)

* Wait, this is going to cost as much as a used car?? Well, I guess I can save up for it...I mean, it is still going to be the most immersive Star Wars experience on Earth, right?

(the details of the "activities" and schedule are released)

* Card games, costume parades, and playing on your phone? That's...it? Well, at least it will feel like living in Star Wars, right?

(the first photos/video reports start to come out)

* Hold up, stackable chairs in the "luxury" dining location? Why does the bar look like it's Star Trek? Where are the droids? Where is anything that actually looks like Star Wars?

Each step of the way, they lost more and more of the Star Wars spending audience, until people finally saw what it was - which broke even the last ones standing. It's honestly like they could not have messed this up more if they tried. Every single decision was just horrible.

I continue to be astounded by how poorly Disney has handled pretty much everything since they took over Star Wars. You can look up my post from a dozen+ years ago when this began, and I was a cheerleader for it - I thought it was the perfect match. But along the way they have made so many bad decisions, alienated so many fans, it's just...wow.

And, for the record, I'm not even a "hater" - I think they royally screwed up the ST (it's honestly a cinematic tragedy what an opportunity they wasted), but I actually like most of the streaming stuff. I also think they get a bad rap for certain things that isn't always warranted. But I cannot deny that people pulling the strings just have no concept of what Star Wars fans actually want, and instead of taking Star Wars to new heights have made one absolutely terrible decision after another - the Star Cruiser is just the biggest dumpster fire in the midst of a Mustifar landscape full of volcanic idiotic activity.

adam.adbe

Each step of the way, they lost more and more of the Star Wars spending audience, until people finally saw what it was - which broke even the last ones standing. It's honestly like they could not have messed this up more if they tried. Every single decision was just horrible.

My wife was trying hard to sell this to herself, but when she saw some of the distinctly Buck Rogers looking set pieces, and the drop-ceiling walkways, all of which kinda screamed "fast to reskin if things go sideways", she quit trying to convince herself or me.

lentesta

Premium Member
During the run up to the opening, and even in the early weeks, there was still a lot of confusion even on boards like this as to what exactly the product was. That's a pretty rookie marketing face-plant on Disney's behalf. Guests can't be expected to understand or be excited by a concept if the people making the pitch don't even seem to agree on what they are selling.

Before launch I was talking to Imagineers who worked on it, and people who'd play-tested it. I was able to sample food (granted, not fresh food) and some of the in-room stuff.

Even I wasn't sure how it the experience was going to work until a few weeks before launch.

When Disney announced CM discounts for Starcruiser earlier this year, I asked some CM friends if they were going to try it. The most common response was along the lines of "I don't really know what it is".

Granted, we don't expect CMs to know everything about everything. But it does it seem to indicate a marketing problem.

mattpeto

I like making predictions and I don't think Starcruiser will ever return to be an experience like it was. I know the survey kinds point to "life" here a bit, but I just don't they will take a massive risk with it again.

They can keep the core part of the hotel but expand out the rooms (yes more construction), add a pool and just make it a Star Wars hotel. If they are really worried about it, convert it to DVC - people will buy from there as long as the amenities are up to speed.

Create a table service or two, add a "day tour" and you'll make it a popular spot.

I still like my idea best, blow a hole through Galaxy's Edge and expand it and make Starcruiser part of an "backstage" attraction or the queue building (like UoE). How many ILL can they sell to justify ROI?

Indy_UK

So do we think that Starcruiser can ever be integrated into Galaxy’s Edge if the land was to get a large expansion joining it all together or would it have to stay as a separate experience that would require the transport?

. Price was an issue
. Disney did the most awful job of marketing it which if done correctly, they would of had more people paying what they were charging
. A point in the timeline that nobody cares about

pdude81

So do we think that Starcruiser can ever be integrated into Galaxy’s Edge if the land was to get a large expansion joining it all together or would it have to stay as a separate experience that would require the transport?

. Price was an issue
. Disney did the most awful job of marketing it which if done correctly, they would of had more people paying what they were charging
. A point in the timeline that nobody cares about
I think there would always be a transport if the concept is that you're being tendered to a large cruise ship that's already in space. They could do a small expansion but I think it would always require some sort of a shuttle.

Incomudro

As always, you make excellent points. As someone who travels in some of these Star Wars circles, I do think this one does need more context. I'm not deep-pocketed, but I am an adult who does spend at least a few grand a year on Star Wars, one way or another. It (and the stuff I create around it) is my main hobby and where my discretionary funds go.

To start, one thing I think far too many dismiss is the Sequel Trilogy theme. I assume this is because of general fatigue on the topic, but it's very easy to quantify this factor. In Star Wars fandom, no matter how hard Disney tried to force it (no pun intended) - the truth of the matter is, if an alien visited Earth, and they walked into a store that had every produced bit of Star Wars merchandise from the last five years, they would have no idea the Sequel Trilogy even existed. It's just a fact.

Dozens and dozens of companies make hundreds and hundreds of new Star Wars products every year, and they will sell anything that they can sell. They got burned with TFA products, only made the bare contractual minimums for TLJ, and had nearly completely given up by RoS. (RoS is the only film in the entire 40-year saga that Hasbro didn't even attempt a sub-line of figures for because the one they launched along side TLJ tanked so badly.) Star Wars products are just as popular as ever - but no one who spends money wants that era. The biggest sellers this year (besides the obvious Grogu/Mando-verse stuff, mostly aimed at mainstream consumers) have been things like background characters from Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi, LOL. That's what people who spend money want, Rey, Poe, Finn, and the rest just don't exist in that world. (There is an occasional Kylo unicorn, but we are talking less than 1% of the stuff that is produced.)

Even if this experience had launched as-is, at the same price point, but just themed around Darth Vader/Rebel Alliance, it would still be in business.

Now, all that said, that wasn't the only problem, but if you follow Star Wars communities, the flow over time was basically like this as all the information was being rolled out:

(initial announcement)

* A Star Wars hotel???!!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! TAKE MY MONEY!!

(soon after)

* Ugh, it's Sequel based? Well, I guess if it's well done...

(the price is announced)

* Wait, this is going to cost as much as a used car?? Well, I guess I can save up for it...I mean, it is still going to be the most immersive Star Wars experience on Earth, right?

(the details of the "activities" and schedule are released)

* Card games, costume parades, and playing on your phone? That's...it? Well, at least it will feel like living in Star Wars, right?

(the first photos/video reports start to come out)

* Hold up, stackable chairs in the "luxury" dining location? Why does the bar look like it's Star Trek? Where are the droids? Where is anything that actually looks like Star Wars?

I continue to be astounded by how poorly Disney has handled pretty much everything since they took over Star Wars. You can look up my post from a dozen+ years ago when this began, and I was a cheerleader for it - I thought it was the perfect match. But along the way they have made so many bad decisions, alienated so many fans, it's just...wow.

And, for the record, I'm not even a "hater" - I think they royally screwed up the ST (it's honestly a cinematic tragedy what an opportunity they wasted), but I actually like most of the streaming stuff. I also think they get a bad rap for certain things that isn't always warranted. But I cannot deny that people pulling the strings just have no concept of what Star Wars fans actually want, and instead of taking Star Wars to new heights have made one absolutely terrible decision after another - the Star Cruiser is just the biggest dumpster fire in the midst of a Mustifar landscape full of volcanic idiotic activity.
This is such an excellent post.
I really like the way you charted the course of the mindset of potential customers for it.
Your post sums up Disney's mishandling of Star Wars on a broader scale as well.
As I keep saying - they've got the perfect source material, but they screw it up over and over again because they believe they know better than the existing audience and/or the heck with that audience - we'll create a NEW audience!

Joel

I'm skeptical that any amount of marketing could have saved them from the "$5000 Star Wars hotel" meme because (a) the price was what it was and (b) a Star Wars hotel is literally what everyone expected and had been begging for. It's hard to understand how they so massively misread the room.

AEfx

As I keep saying - they've got the perfect source material, but they screw it up over and over again because they believe they know better than the existing audience and/or the heck with that audience - we'll create a NEW audience!
Thank you :)

On this point in particular - as we start to look at the 2010's through the rear-view mirror, it really is looking like the period of "we refuse to give audiences what they want/expect because we think it makes us arty".

It wasn't just Star Wars - though it certainly is the biggest example. The crop of filmmakers who came up during that time (Johnson, Trevorrow, etc.) were hell-bent on not fulfilling audience expectations. I think they were trying to be subversive, but that may work on your own, newly created original film, for example - but the thought that it should be applied to franchises with decades of history was just a huge, egotistical mistake.

What would have worked would have been if they were clever enough to give audiences what they wanted/expected, AND done it in a new way with a new twist. But instead, they just completely neglected the existing audiences in the best of circumstances, and totally gave them the middle finger and spat at them in the worst.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just going to throw this out there...

It is possible this whole thing was a poor business decision that is doomed to never make them any money while also being loved by those that gave it a try. If pointing that out means I'm a shill then so be it. I'm not going to deny reality just because I don't understand the appeal and would never spend money on it personally.

I think it's entirely possible that what they were trying to do is simply not viable. It is expensive to provide the level of interaction they were going for, which means you are going to have to price it at a level that will cut out a lot of guests.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Time to repost my Venn diagram:

View attachment 750007

In my personal situation, I am fully in the top two circles, having watched the OT in the theaters, bought the action figures, own the movies in Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. But while I could easily afford the cost, the thought of role playing for two days did not appeal to me. I’m not a fan of mystery parties, escape rooms, nor (gasp) the Adventurers Club. Not my cup of tea.

This isn’t to say cost was no factor. I have tried mystery parties, escape rooms, and the Adventurers Club back in the day, since the cost barrier was so low. Even though I’m a huge Star Wars fan, I would have hated to drop $5k only to be less than thrilled with the experience.

... and home many people that small group would be willing to do it more then once? I don't know the numbers but I would assume a big part of Disney's revenue comes from repeat visitors.

Smiley/OCD

Even us DVC members wouldn't be willing to pay what they would want to charge in points if it’s like what they do for regular cruises. They would never sell all the points available.
I agree, but it was said that Disney isn’t building hotel rooms, it’s true, they’re only building DVC (so it seems) just saying that it would probably be a selling point to new members…

Dranth

I think it's entirely possible that what they were trying to do is simply not viable. It is expensive to provide the level of interaction they were going for, which means you are going to have to price it at a level that will cut out a lot of guests.
That is where I land and while I am all for them trying again, don't think it will work.

I didn't go so this is obviously all conjecture but my guess is the "ship" was at least good enough to set the scene and ambiance but it was really the actors and interactions with them that people loved. Those personal moments where you really got to feel like you were a part of the story. You don’t get that for cheap no matter how you try to do it so I doubt they will be able to whittle it down and maintain what made it so popular for those that went.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom