News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just went back and looked, and I wrote "costs" instead of "price." I think if they try again they should keep PRICES low and try to make money selling merch.
The “huh?” Was for the notion they’re trying again…

That would happen in a Galaxy far, far away

It BOMBED…this thread has spent weeks trying to twist that in an effort to not hurt Disneys feelings - which is hard to do for a monolith that has no feelings lead by a has been cheap suit…

There may be some effort to “rework” it…but as a
“Land cruise ship” based on the awful Disney content?

No.

Demolition way more likely

Tha Realest

It would have ran out of customers in short order anyway…

That’s because of just how bad they’ve run Star Wars. It’s more of a cultural afterthought now than in 2005…that took some doing.

The echo chamber here doesn’t seem to believe. But as it stands…they will…eventually.

The only counter would be if it was massively unique/more exciting…like battling in real time melee like the old xmen danger room…

Which by the way…there’s a laser tag room on half the cruise ships and those are low budget hoots…
Why “wasn’t” there one of those? Not enough money for that AND the electric slide?
I’d argue they’ve also mismanaged the Mando phenomenon

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd have "marketing" and "price" as my 1/2.

For some reason, Disney's PR never get out ahead of the phrase "$5,000 Star Wars Hotel". That's going to repel a lot of people. And even if you do a great job explaining that it's an experience, not just a hotel, that first impression is tough to overcome.

I always expected them to pitch this in person like DVC and treat it like an exclusive, mysterious, luring thing… direct sales engagement.

When they went full on wdw blogger and online… i knew they were doomed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d argue they’ve also mismanaged the Mando phenomenon
Well it started out with incredible promise…tugging on the core/OT heartstrings…

…but yeah…they’re probably not playing it right

Instead of more limited seasons and really poor spin off limited series on the streaming money pit…they should have transitioned it to a film or series films with OT heavy stuff…

Sticks to the ribs more.

My contention is Mando looks much better than it is because of the chaos around it.

The Asohka series doesn’t look to be great shape…and that sucks

More cartoons and releases of empire strikes back lego sets inbound 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd have "marketing" and "price" as my 1/2.

For some reason, Disney's PR never get out ahead of the phrase "$5,000 Star Wars Hotel". That's going to repel a lot of people. And even if you do a great job explaining that it's an experience, not just a hotel, that first impression is tough to overcome.
If wdw is such an “luxury” spot…as I’ve watched near EVERYONE with a dvc contract and/or an F-150 parade through the forums and repeat like dogma for 10-15 years…

Then why is $2500 a pop too steep?

Someone needs to get a chart and a laser pointer for this one 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always expected them to pitch this in person like DVC and treat it like an exclusive, mysterious, luring thing… direct sales engagement.

When they went full on wdw blogger and online… i knew they were doomed.
It’s Star Wars

Until that isn’t Disney’s main stumbling block - and it is - then they’ll continue to stub toes.

You have to understand what you have first. They. Do. Not.

tanc

Very few people are willing to spend the cost of a Disney vacation for 2 days on a larp attraction. Although generally it was a very positive experience, some star wars fans thought the larp was not good enough for the cost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very few people are willing to spend the cost of a Disney vacation for 2 days on a larp attraction. Although generally it was a very positive experience, some star wars fans thought the larp was not good enough for the cost.
They could have mined their data to figure that out in the exploratory phase…

And should have. That’s the big mistake.

I wonder when they did that research? Or did they really do it at all?

_caleb

The “huh?” Was for the notion they’re trying again…

That would happen in a Galaxy far, far away

It BOMBED…this thread has spent weeks trying to twist that in an effort to not hurt Disneys feelings - which is hard to do for a monolith that has no feelings lead by a has been cheap suit…

There may be some effort to “rework” it…but as a
“Land cruise ship” based on the awful Disney content?

No.

Demolition way more likely
Oh, I definitely think they're going to try immersive/interactive role-playing again. Maybe not w/this particular facility, and maybe not w/Star Wars, but they're going to want to do something with these guest satisfaction numbers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, I definitely think they're going to try immersive/interactive role-playing again. Maybe not w/this particular facility, and maybe not w/Star Wars, but they're going to want to do something with these guest satisfaction numbers.
Well that I can believe…

But it needs to be built from square 1…this one was a misfire

I would love to see Comcast try it with a potter?
It lends itself to cosplay and this kind of setup Better than Star Wars

_caleb

Well that I can believe…

But it needs to be built from square 1…this one was a misfire
Again, this had the highest guest satisfaction ratings of anything they've done! Something obviously went wrong, but I don't see how you can claim it was a total misfire.
I would love to see Comcast try it with a potter?
It lends itself to cosplay and this kind of setup Better than Star Wars
But only the earlier Chris Columbus films, right? WB really messed it up with all the YA romance stuff in the later films, don't you think? All us real fans know the Yates films weren't truly HP.

brettf22

Premium Member
Time to repost my Venn diagram:

1697820501827.jpeg

In my personal situation, I am fully in the top two circles, having watched the OT in the theaters, bought the action figures, own the movies in Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. But while I could easily afford the cost, the thought of role playing for two days did not appeal to me. I’m not a fan of mystery parties, escape rooms, nor (gasp) the Adventurers Club. Not my cup of tea.

This isn’t to say cost was no factor. I have tried mystery parties, escape rooms, and the Adventurers Club back in the day, since the cost barrier was so low. Even though I’m a huge Star Wars fan, I would have hated to drop $5k only to be less than thrilled with the experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again, this had the highest guest satisfaction ratings of anything they've done! Something obviously went wrong, but I don't see how you can claim it was a total misfire.

We gotta stop on this too…. “Guest satisfaction” ratings are not independently audited by PWC. That is a wing of corporate PR…whether you want to accept it or not.

As far as “total misfire”…it opened/got cut and closed in 1 year. Name the list of Disney projects that had that happened? The list is short…but distinguished.

But only the earlier Chris Columbus films, right? WB really messed it up with all the YA romance stuff in the later films, don't you think? All us real fans know the Yates films weren't truly HP.

Granted

I was suggesting the wizardry/world…not teenage romance.

Diagon alley was built well enough to show that they could engineer something like this…

_caleb

Time to repost my Venn diagram:

View attachment 750007

In my personal situation, I am fully in the top two circles, having watched the OT in the theaters, bought the action figures, own the movies in Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. But while I could easily afford the cost, the thought of role playing for two days did not appeal to me. I’m not a fan of mystery parties, escape rooms, nor (gasp) the Adventurers Club. Not my cup of tea.

This isn’t to say cost was no factor. I have tried mystery parties, escape rooms, and the Adventurers Club back in the day, since the cost barrier was so low. Even though I’m a huge Star Wars fan, I would have hated to drop $5k only to be less than thrilled with the experience.
Disney literally makes billions off of people who aren't fans, hate crowds, and can't afford it.

Bocabear

Which is why I think a Star Wars themed hotel on a grander scale, gorgeously designed, not a larping experience, set on a planet so there can be a pool and some interesting landscapes all insta-worthy would be a huge hit...add in the shuttle access to SWGE plus regular park transportation and a couple light entertainments from the first trilogy of characters, make it a deluxe plus level , and I know a lot of people that would love that... especially with the SWGE shuttle...One wing of the new hotel could be the Halcyon, the other would be the newer grander wings. A spectacular restaurant accessible by anyone like the ones at all the other Deluxe resorts would be a "must do" for most Disney and Star Wars fans...

Indy_UK

Well it started out with incredible promise…tugging on the core/OT heartstrings…

…but yeah…they’re probably not playing it right

As always with Disney. They want everything to be a success but when they get a hit that they don’t expect like Mandalorian, Frozen and Encanto, they are so painfully slow to capitalise on it that the phenomenon has passed. Then they flog it to death with sequels instead

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is why I think a Star Wars themed hotel on a grander scale, gorgeously designed, not a larping experience, set on a planet so there can be a pool and some interesting landscapes all insta-worthy would be a huge hit...add in the shuttle access to SWGE plus regular park transportation and a couple light entertainments from the first trilogy of characters, make it a deluxe plus level , and I know a lot of people that would love that... especially with the SWGE shuttle...One wing of the new hotel could be the Halcyon, the other would be the newer grander wings. A spectacular restaurant accessible by anyone like the ones at all the other Deluxe resorts would be a "must do" for most Disney and Star Wars fans...
I think that’s a better long term play…

But if you notice: they really don’t build/want new hotel rooms anymore…

Dranth

We gotta stop on this too…. “Guest satisfaction” ratings are not independently audited by PWC. That is a wing of corporate PR…whether you want to accept it or not.
The experiences it is being compared to are also collected by the same group. It is a like to like comparison.

If that isn't viable, how exactly do you tell if people truly enjoyed an experience if we don't believe what they tell us? I know you don't think it is money otherwise you would be suggesting that The Last Jedi is a top 25 all-time movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The experiences it is being compared to are also collected by the same group. It is a like to like comparison.

If that isn't viable, how exactly do you tell if people truly enjoyed an experience if we don't believe what they tell us? I know you don't think it is money otherwise you would be suggesting that The Last Jedi is a top 25 all-time movie.
You’re gonna have to take the nametag off before we talk about this…

You already overused the buzzword and it’s getting me nervous

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom