News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

TrainsOfDisney

His version was The Disney Institute/Disneyquest. Which had more viability potential and did better than this.
Disney Institute still exists as well. The physical institute was a repurpose of existing hotel / villas so not a huge investment.

Disney Quest was still making money until Iger era converted into NBA which was a flop just like the Star Wars hotel. Hmm… what’s the common denominator?

celluloid

I mean everything makes a comeback at some point right? They continue making those stupid live action remakes that don’t make them any money lol

The approach would be doing it in a less Planet Hollywood way and more like if Be Our Guest or Space 220 were standalone restaurants somewhere in the US. Or even something small like an Oga’s cantina sized bar. I don’t think that’s an approach that has been tried and celebrities have less staying power than something like Disneys popular IPs.

Maybe, but why risk that when people are just going to come to you if you have a great product? They did have a Mickey themed kitchen and regional places in the 90s but it just did not work out.

That is ultimately the lesson of the major theme parks vs regional entertainment. It could give people a Disney fix, but more than likely those are the people who are going to save and spend that money and more to a destination that provides.

I am sure they always toy with viability, but there is always bigger fish to fry and money to make. Those establishments would also have to try harder for repeat business. as Disneyquest Chicago and the other restaurant locations of the 90s found out.

Not saying it is a terrible idea, but giving the reasons why it is a rough sell.

Below a pic of one of the attempts from back in the day.
1697655515602.png

Last edited:

Bocabear

Disney Institute still exists as well. The physical institute was a repurpose of existing hotel / villas so not a huge investment.

Disney Quest was still making money until Iger era converted into NBA which was a flop just like the Star Wars hotel. Hmm… what’s the common denominator?
It was built as the Disney Institute and then after it's demise they converted the Disney Institute Campus buildings into resort amenities for Saratoga Springs as I remember....Though I guess part of the old Treehouse resort was there too...

TheIceBaron

Maybe, but why risk that when people are just going to come to you if you have a great product? They did have a Mickey themed kitchen and regional places in the 90s but it just did not work out.

That is ultimately the lesson of the major theme parks vs regional entertainment. It could give people a Disney fix, but more than likely those are the people who are going to save and spend that money and more to a destination that provides.

I am sure they always toy with viability, but there is always bigger fish to fry and money to make. Those establishments would also have to try harder for repeat business.

I think in terms of risk, it would be just the normal risk of opening a themed restaurant. It wouldn’t have a huge footprint such as Disney quest or the tech needing updated frequently necessarily. I also think just in terms of restaurants, how often you yourself go to a particular restaurant in a year? For some, such as myself, unless it was a bad or just meh experience, it’s not a one and done thing. I go to a sit down restaurant probably once a week and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

Think of your normal restaurant or bar area in the city and imagine a Disney owned and operated restaurant that has Disney level of theming, but not something on the size scale of a rainforest cafe necessarily. Each location will be appropriately sized to ensure that it’s more or less always full.

For example where I am from in the Midwest, the pop up immersive Disney animation experience has been hugely popular amongst lots of demographics that they have extended its run. I think the demand is there for Disney level of entertainment or dining just a short 10-20 min drive away from where you live.

celluloid

I also think just in terms of restaurants, how often you yourself go to a particular restaurant in a year? For some, such as myself, unless it was a bad or just meh experience, it’s not a one and done thing. I go to a sit down restaurant probably once a week and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

You go to a sit down resteraunt once a week, which maybe is not the most uncommon for families who are doing well. Going to the same Disney themed venue priced restaurant once a week, is not very likely. The average family of four, at least in their early years are not likely eating out at a costlier sit down restaurant once a week. And the same one, even less likely.

Applebees, Olive Garden or Golden Corral are not equivalent to Disney's prices so families would probably not eat there as often as their saturday meal out.

Most(but all need the parks and resort to maintain their level of success) of Disney's themed restaurants compliment the park and resort experience, standing alone they would be rough.

Its not the worst idea and I am sure the company still tosses it around, but its not likely worth it to them for reasons stated.

If the concept was viable, you would see more Rainforest Cafe's and others popping up, not closing.

The pop ups have novelty. And they can extend runs due to things working in their favor with the venue. But by nature, they are novel. That animation exhibit would not likely to do well without serious investment in a year, two or three from now. They make more having the pop up pack up and pop up somewhere else, and maybe come back to your area next year or in a few. Museums figured this out long ago and why local museums change exhibits.

Tha Realest

I mean everything makes a comeback at some point right? They continue making those stupid live action remakes that don’t make them any money lol

The approach would be doing it in a less Planet Hollywood way and more like if Be Our Guest or Space 220 were standalone restaurants somewhere in the US. Or even something small like an Oga’s cantina sized bar. I don’t think that’s an approach that has been tried and celebrities have less staying power than something like Disneys popular IPs.
Almost three decades later and Bubba Gumps trudges onward

celluloid

Almost three decades later and Bubba Gumps trudges onward

Typically in Theme Park Resorts or tourism destination promenades. Where they still have struggled under Landry's the company who also operates Rainforest Cafe, and have gone from over 40 locaitons to being in the 20s in the last twenty years.

TheIceBaron

You go to a sit down resteraunt once a week, which maybe is not the most uncommon for families who are doing well. Going to the same Disney themed venue priced restaurant once a week, is not very likely. The average family of four, at least in their early years are not likely eating out at a costlier sit down restaurant once a week. And the same one, even less likely.

Applebees, Olive Garden or Golden Corral are not equivalent to Disney's prices so families would probably not eat there as often as their saturday meal out.

Most(but all need the parks and resort to maintain their level of success) of Disney's themed restaurants compliment the park and resort experience, standing alone they would be rough.

Its not the worst idea and I am sure the company still tosses it around, but its not likely worth it to them for reasons stated.

If the concept was viable, you would see more Rainforest Cafe's and others popping up, not closing.

The pop ups have novelty. And they can extend runs due to things working in their favor with the venue. But by nature, they are novel. That animation exhibit would not likely to do well without serious investment in a year, two or three from now. They make more having the pop up pack up and pop up somewhere else, and maybe come back to your area next year or in a few. Museums figured this out long ago and why local museums change exhibits.

All of the points you raise are fair and certainly not all Disney Park restaurants would survive on their own, but I think some Disney Park styled restaurants could do well across the US if the location and scope are appropriately analyzed.

The rain forest cafe type of restaurants I think are simply too big in size that there is often mismatch in demand and staffing as well as much harder to update. A smaller sized restaurant is easier to staff and refresh from time to time. (Star Wars restaurant maybe swap out planet or time period)

More just in conclusion I like when Disney experiments with things outside of the norm, and don’t want to mercilessly dunk on them for trying stuff like that.

Rich Brownn

The issue with DisneyQuest was it required more and more expensive updates and maitenece. By the end half the stuff wasn't working properly. The idea was multiple DQ's would have allowed experiences to be rotated around reducing costs. But with the failure of Chicago it just became impractical. At the end the systems running the games were more antiquated than some of the top of the line PCs.

TrainsOfDisney

The issue with DisneyQuest was it required more and more expensive updates and maitenece. By the end half the stuff wasn't working properly. The idea was multiple DQ's would have allowed experiences to be rotated around reducing costs.
Yes, however there were solutions that were not looked at because they had given up on the idea.

Disney Quest certainly needed a refresh, but that could easily be done. Keep a retro arcade (wreck it Ralph overlay?), add animation academy workshops, add a 3-d theatre with something like Pixar shorts playing, add character meets….. lots of simple solutions.

Same issue with adventurers club and comedy warehouse, they could have stayed and been profitable but the entire pleasure island concept was completely swept away

Splash4eva

Didn't Disney experiment with AP and DVC discounts.

Cash from tax savings via write off vs operating the cruiser is certainly a valid consideration. I, incorrectly, thought write off was intended for things like destruction due hurricane... i didn't realize a company could abandon an asset, claim it wasn't profitable and write it off. Batgirl and a buch of Disney + stuff are other examples.

Tax savings are real. Some people look at the bottom line without debating how much is gimmick
Then everyone cant sit here and say how this was some huge success….

Wendy Pleakley

Was Disney Quest making money because people valued it, or because it was included with the 'water parks and more' add on to tickets, so people went because it was "included"?

Robbiem

I think there are a few places where a standalone Disney IP restaurants or bar could work. Something like a star wars cantina in Las Vegas or New York could do well or maybe a tie in restaurant paired to a Broadway show. It would be nice to see a more adult take on some things which Disney doesn’t appear to want to do at the resorts now

Bocabear

no, it was a repurpose of the former Disney Village Resort.
You are right...I had forgotten that even existed... I stayed at the Village resort back in the early 80s...
I thought most of it had been shut down before the Disney Institute came into being building all new campus buildings... That must have been like 1983 when I stayed there...

Dranth

People are remembering a different DisneyQuest than I am. The only one built outside of WDW was closed in 2001 because it wasn't generating enough profit and all the additional planned builds were cancelled including the updates for the one in WDW. That was 4 years before Iger became the CEO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom