News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

fgmnt

Probably the MCU. Not every individual MCU film was a huge critical and financial success, but it's been a massive success overall.

The first two films of the sequel SW trilogy were very successful both critically and financially too, even though I wasn't a fan of any of three.
This was the closest I could think of, the broad expansion of the Marvel IP. It's losing some steam but that has been the biggest win. I am enough of a hater that I personally won't give him full credit as Marvel Studios was already working through their plan with Paramount and Universal at the time of purchase. I believe The Avengers was the first movie to be distributed by The Walt Disney Company? I think it's still a modest success without Disney but you can definitely credit Iger for pouring on the rocket fuel.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Tangentially, I would love a discussion surrounding the creative pursuit with the highest composite critical and financial success the company executed under Iger, and how they compare to successful creative pursuits under predecessors. What is the one thing, any investment in any division of the company, really jumps off the page as a critical and commercial success? Frozen? Pandora?

I also can't think of any locked-in successful novel business line creation under Iger. Disney+ might very well be that, but I can't think of anything he has done like Disney on Broadway, Disney Cruise Line. Closest I can think of is Shanghai Disney?
To be fair to Iger…he inherited a big company…Eisner a puny studio and decent park operation…and all other prior a family gig…

So the comparisons aren’t 1:1

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Probably the MCU. Not every individual MCU film was a huge critical and financial success, but it's been a massive success overall.

The first two films of the sequel SW trilogy were very successful both critically and financially too, even though I wasn't a fan. The third, not so much.

This was the closest I could think of, the broad expansion of the Marvel IP. It's losing some steam but that has been the biggest win. I am enough of a hater that I personally won't give him full credit as Marvel Studios was already working through their plan with Paramount and Universal at the time of purchase. I believe The Avengers was the first movie to be distributed by The Walt Disney Company? I think it's still a modest success without Disney but you can definitely credit Iger for pouring on the rocket fuel.

MCU was already in place/rolling when they bought…the structure and manpower as well…

So even that doesn’t qualify.

Original creative accomplishment?
That’s actually really tough.

I actually think it’s Tangled. And some of the Disney animateds like Big Hero 6 and Wreck It

UNCgolf

MCU was already in place/rolling when they bought…the structure and manpower as well…

So even that doesn’t qualify.

Original creative accomplishment?
That’s actually really tough.

I actually think it’s Tangled. And some of the Disney animateds like Big Hero 6 and Wreck It

It had barely started -- Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk are the only MCU films released prior to Disney's ownership. Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America were also distributed by Paramount, but that was because of preexisting deals. Disney already owned Marvel for their releases.

Still, though, you're right that the idea was conceived prior to Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It had barely started -- Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk are the only MCU films released prior to Disney's ownership. Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America were also distributed by Paramount, but that was because of preexisting deals. Disney already owned Marvel for their releases.

Still, though, you're right that the idea was conceived prior to Disney.
Right…released…but the stories/production of about the first 8 were laid out…pretty much up to avengers…

Still…Bob gets credit for not messing with it

celluloid

California adventure was a pretty big mess…but that was alot about maneuvering in Anaheim…

Studios paris they had no choice…blame him for euro.

However…euro is beautiful. It really is
DCA has many mistakes and obviously came past passing of Welles. And he made Europe right in the end because he let Imagineers do their thing and he and had showman sensibilities. All while Disney theme parks had E Tickets and realized theme parks.
Also, if not for his deals with Lucas, there would not have been an easy thought to sell to Disney. Star Tours and Lucas partnerships since So had a strong connection.

I mean they are still cloning or comparing rides that were produced in the Eisner era.
I don't think even Iger's era at its best has produced anything as good as Indiana Jones, Tower of Terror or Disney Sea.
Even Soarin' film brought back.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

I just had dinner last week at the Bacchanal Buffet at Ceasars Palace. As usual, it was fabulous; service, food, aesthetics.

But that massive buffet is more immersive and decorated than the Starcruiser's dining room...

bacchanal-buffet.jpg

flatten;crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

Even their movable line stanchions at the entrance cashier are custom made at the Bacchanal Buffet. Can you imagine if Disney was at this level of detailing and design to custom make queue stanchions for a buffet?

bacchanal_buffet_caesars_reopens1.jpg
I stand corrected. Vegas buffets have stepped their game up. Makes the soon to be a Spirit Halloween Galactic Star Cruiser look even worse!

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

S
You don't know that. They have said something will be done next. Disney does not announce things until they are ready. If there is work going on there (as the public work order filing suggests), then they most likely have already gone back to that drawing board. That and other grapevine indicators suggests various levels of activity under way. My guess is it will probably be sometime in 2024 before the public gets to find out what they have chosen as a new direction.

As for the personal shots against me as newer to posting on these boards, that's all fine. But I have been in business longer than most on these boards have been alive. I've learned along the way that sometimes the best products fail in the market. Disney seems to have a "build it and they will come" attitude sometimes. But it doesn't work that way. Some amazing products and many products that were higher quality than their competitors have failed over the decades because the companies didn't figure out how to win in the marketplace regardless of how good their products were. Anyone remember Betamax?
Spirit Halloween location maybe?

Mickey's Pal

Simply put... its far easier for people to poke fun at something they've already decided they would never do themselves. It's inevitable that people will do so in a subconscious way to either justify their choice or rally others to the same.
Well the fact it closed forever makes it even easier for me.

Dranth

Exactly. Eisners attempts that did not work out were all still profitable assets for the company.
Eisner was a great CEO in many ways, but he had his failures as well. For example, he started studios that failed (Hollywood Pictures) or how about unpopular ride refreshes that were disasters (Rocket Rods)? Even some of his stuff that is still here had to be fixed by someone else (DCA).

Point being that if you go back through the history of CEOs at the company you will find every one of them had failures.

Bocabear

Eisner was a great CEO in many ways, but he had his failures as well. For example, he started studios that failed (Hollywood Pictures) or how about unpopular ride refreshes that were disasters (Rocket Rods)? Even some of his stuff that is still here had to be fixed by someone else (DCA).

Point being that if you go back through the history of CEOs at the company you will find every one of them had failures.
Rocket Rods could have been amazing if the budget had not been cut during the construction... Had they installed the show scenes that were discussed and banked the curves so there would be no slowing down every few seconds, it could have been amazing. The idea to make the People Mover at Disneyland a sort of experimental futuristic transportation thrill ride was good.... The budget cutting killed it. It really needed a different ride system... I wish they would rework it and do it right...

celluloid

Right, however, ultimately, Disneyquest was still profitable for the company. It was even profitable into Iger's time until it continued to be neglected, like many things Iger has made worse through said neglect. That is why I was speaking in reference to the non theme park attraction attractions/experiences people were speaking of here. Esner also piloted the fact that we have a Disney Cruiseline that is not a joke in the Cruise industry, but a standard. Much harder to operate than a themed hotel venture and has done escapism programs well since day one.

Even Disney Institute made its money back before changing back to a resort.

We can go into Hollywood film follies, but no contest on who rested on laurels more there, as evident now. Iger came in to a good situation because of what Eisner salvaged. Every CEO has their time and then their time to go, Iger has just past this a few times is the biggest difference. Hollywood Pictures was not financial liability. It had some big hits both in film and its music label. Eventually, it was seen as redundant, but not a failure. It is not a liability like Fox's current debt or any of the streaming situations they are in.

I am going to go with the guy who put tents in tomorrowland and buses backstage for express travel as the one who understood how to run major theme park showmanship less and has returned to take credit, rather than blame two times rather than the guy who had some risk taking failures like Rocket Rods and odd overlays.

Last edited:

TheIceBaron

On the Disney Quest point, I wonder if they have thought of non-park Disney styled IP restaurants or experiences across the US. Like would a Disney owned or franchised Star Wars bar in Chicago do well?

I feel like that is less of a financial commitment and wouldn’t necessarily need to update the technology as often as Disney Quest. Plenty of IP that likely won’t make it into the parks that they could make restaurant experiences out of. Possibly be a way for non park goers to get the Disney experience in a more accessible fashion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the Disney Quest point, I wonder if they have thought of non-park Disney styled IP restaurants or experiences across the US. Like would a Disney owned or franchised Star Wars bar in Chicago do well?

I feel like that is less of a financial commitment and wouldn’t necessarily need to update the technology as often as Disney Quest. Plenty of IP that likely won’t make it into the parks that they could make restaurant experiences out of. Possibly be a way for non park goers to get the Disney experience in a more accessible fashion.
You mean the celebrity/themed variety that exploded everywhere in the 90’s and had all collapsed and gone bankrupt by about 2010?

TheIceBaron

You mean the celebrity/themed variety that exploded everywhere in the 90’s and had all collapsed and gone bankrupt by about 2010?

I mean everything makes a comeback at some point right? They continue making those stupid live action remakes that don’t make them any money lol

The approach would be doing it in a less Planet Hollywood way and more like if Be Our Guest or Space 220 were standalone restaurants somewhere in the US. Or even something small like an Oga’s cantina sized bar. I don’t think that’s an approach that has been tried and celebrities have less staying power than something like Disneys popular IPs.

lewisc

Dropping the price- even just offering limited time discounts. I think this would have brought in a lot of fans who hadn't previously booked
Didn't Disney experiment with AP and DVC discounts.
tax write off is not a valid one imo
Cash from tax savings via write off vs operating the cruiser is certainly a valid consideration. I, incorrectly, thought write off was intended for things like destruction due hurricane... i didn't realize a company could abandon an asset, claim it wasn't profitable and write it off. Batgirl and a buch of Disney + stuff are other examples.
I am NOT buying the accounting loss 1 bit… it obviously needs to be disclosed & do you really think anyone with a brain on Wall St is nit going to see thru that “gimmick”. I assure you they are not….
Tax savings are real. Some people look at the bottom line without debating how much is gimmick

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom