News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

flynnibus

Premium Member
No that’s your definition, not mine haha.

I call money losing projects a failure. So Star Wars hotel and Disney+ and NBA experience make the list way above Disney Quest.
You think everything they invested into LBE and DQ was somehow made up by running the skeleton of DQ in DTD for 15yrs and turned that ugly duckling into a prize? ohh kay.

celluloid

When do you think that was? When was the last actual attraction added to DQ? It basically just ran 'as was' in place pretty much it's entire life after they punted on the concept.
The answer would be in what you quoted me.
It was ran as was plus Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for Buccaneer gold and a few other minor changes until it sat. I mentioned the neglect, most of which, including literally just closing but not fixing or replacing during Iger's time. You should read a post before commenting.

It made money, even when it was treated like a corpse. Bob Iger rode the coat tails until he had an idea that made even less money, so badly that it had to close. You can't say something made money as a corpse even when neglected and then call it a failure.

The one in Chicago did not work out. Using that logic, you would call The Disney Store concept a failure.

You don't see the corpse of Galactic Star Cruiser surviving do you? Use the noodle.

celluloid

You think everything they invested into LBE and DQ was somehow made up by running the skeleton of DQ in DTD for 15yrs and turned that ugly duckling into a prize? ohh kay.
Wait, isn't that people's logic of how many movies in theaters that did not make money will be successful over time on streaming and struggling television?

Which are far worse drains.

No one is saying Disneyquest was a smashing success. But it more than paid for itself until the neglect just had an idea that was even worse, most of which took place from 2005-2017. Who was CEO then running it as a corpse? The guy who could not even replace this corpse apparently.

Last edited:

Dranth

The answer would be in what you quoted me.
It was ran as was plus Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for Buccaneer gold and a few other minor changes until it sat. I mentioned the neglect, most of which, including literally just closing but not fixing or replacing during Iger's time. You should read a post before commenting.

It made money, even when it was treated like a corpse. Bob Iger rode the coat tails until he had an idea that made even less money, so badly that it had to close. You can't say something made money as a corpse even when neglected and then call it a failure.

The one in Chicago did not work out. Using that logic, you would call The Disney Store concept a failure.

You don't see the corpse of Galactic Star Cruiser surviving do you? Use the noodle.
It wasn't updated after they decided to cancel the project as a whole. It was just left there as something for people to do and that was long was before Iger took over.

You want to dump on the NBA experience then fine, that was a trash heap and well deserving of any shade thrown its way but the weird historical rewrite happening that DQ was somehow a success until Iger is odd.

celluloid

It wasn't updated after they decided to cancel the project as a whole. It was just left there as something for people to do and that was long was before Iger took over.

You want to dump on the NBA experience then fine, that was a trash heap and well deserving of any shade thrown its way but the weird historical rewrite happening that DQ was somehow a success until Iger is odd.
Again, I said it had Neglect before Iger. Nothing added from 2001-2005. Remember 9/11 recession though and the fact everything was ground up new since opening only six year prior. Four years of neglect in that time I referenced that was not good. The remaining 12 though, from 2005-2017 where things were breaking and closing completely closing under Iger. So yes, most neglect was under him. It made money all the whole until it was put out of its misery by something that did not even stick for a few years brand new.
What about that is non factual?

Last edited:

celluloid

I’d love to see a tale of the tape in terms of the losses between Disney Quest and, say, Galactic Starcruiser, HarmoniUs, EPCOT festival center

For film analogy:
I would say it would be like Hocus Pocus. Disappointing but Disney milked it and made money. Some even returned over the years to it.
They try and reinvent with Void situation but it was.kind of ugly but there (Hocus Pocus 2) property made money as a whole for not being deemed a hit initially.

Galactic Starcruiser was Indy 5.
People were excited and Disney thought mostly automatic, but as soon as result was revealed no one really went to spend their time or money on it. Lost a lot. Failure they gave up on.

Dranth

Again, I said it had Neglect before Iger. Nothing added from 2001-2005. Remember 9/11 recession though. Four years of it there. The remaining 12 though, from 2005-2017 where things were breaking and closing completely closing under Iger. It made money all the whole until it was put out of its misery by something that did not even stick for a few years brand new.
What about that is non factual?
Sure, Iger let it run too long. I agree with that but you are calling him out for letting something Eisner had already abandoned (before 9/11) rot. Eisner deemed it a failure. Eisner made the decision to not invest anymore. Eisner let it sit in place for years and only kept it open because it was cheap to run. Iger just came in and continued the same strategy that was already in place.

The only reason it wasn't as bad under Eisner is because he got ousted before it could reach that point under him.

Dranth

No one is rewriting history. It wasn’t a huge success. But comparing Disney quest to the Iger era disasters is not fair.

Now…. Go.com…..
Yes, SC lost more money. Of course it did, it was a much more expensive venture. It is the people trying to claim Iger somehow ruined DQ it I don't understand.

As for other disasters, every CEO who has been there long enough to make any real decisions has a nice list of them. People just tend to forget those things when looking back and only compare the good of the old to the bad of the new when in reality, there isn't a lot of difference.

celluloid

Sure, Iger let it run too long. I agree with that but you are calling him out for letting something Eisner had already abandoned (before 9/11) rot. Eisner deemed it a failure. Eisner made the decision to not invest anymore. Eisner let it sit in place for years and only kept it open because it was cheap to run. Iger just came in and continued the same strategy that was already in place.

The only reason it wasn't as bad under Eisner is because he got ousted before it could reach that point under him.
Your point has changed to agree with me.
First you claim I rewrite history. But it was in fact neglected for 12 years under Iger.(And to clarify again, neglect in those 12 years in terms of not only not adding anything new, but not replacing or fixing anything.

And it again, had a new attraction developed and open in the year 2000. Pirates of the Caribbean, Battle for Buccaneer Gold. No movie synergy required and was certainly the best thing at Disney quest besides Cyberspace Mountain. It eventually became the gun tech for Toy Story Mania. The games and attractions were in operating order. Only two years after the entire thing was open and after deemed not viable.elsewhere. 2001 saw cuts and tourism hurt all across and we got nothing major at the theme parks after Mission Space and before Everest as well(still as fast as most Iger build gaps)
There is a difference between only adding one attraction in 2000 after opening in 1998 and nothing but operating as functional, vs the visits I took in 2011 and onward where more and.more was.cllsed, not staffed and or broken and given up on completely with. Nothing new, fixed or added in 12 years.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Your point has changed to agree with me.
First you claim I rewrite history. But it was in fact neglected for 12 years under Iger.

And it again, had a new attraction developed and open in the year 2000. Pirates of the Caribbean, Battle for Buccaneer Gold. No love synergy required and was certainly the best thing at Disney quest besides Cyberspace Mountain. It eventually became the gun tech for Toy Story Mania. The games and attractions were in operating order. Only two years after the entire thing was open and after deemed.not.voable.elsewhere. 2001 saw cuts and tourism hurt all across and we got nothing major at the theme parks after Mission Space and before Everest as well(still as fast as most Iger build gaps)
There is a difference between only adding one attraction in 2000 after.opeming in 1998 and nothing but operating as functional, vs the visits I took in 2011 and onward where more and.more was.cllsed, not staffed and or broken and given up on completely.
That game was on our cruise boat in January 2020.

celluloid

That game was on our cruise boat in January 2020.
I hope this is not a joke on a pirate hostage situation.
That is fun. Ha. Probably THE same hardware. So dated for sure. And here is the company under Iger still using the last DisneyQuest attraction Eisner's era had on one of the company's most expensive experiences.
Battle for Buccaneer Gold still lives as a side attraction offering. Disney Quest lasted for nearly 19 years, and people are seriously conflating it's bummer but money making time it had as a failure to Galactic Starcruiser? The result is under the same leadership.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wait, isn't that people's logic of how many movies in theaters that did not make money will be successful over time on streaming and struggling television?

Talking about a single film making it’s money back is not the same discussion as a strategic initiative. One is a point product - one is a growth strategy.

Disneyquest failed and with it, Disney’s plans to build location based entertainment venues around the country.

Tha Realest

Talking about a single film making it’s money back is not the same discussion as a strategic initiative. One is a point product - one is a growth strategy.

Disneyquest failed and with it, Disney’s plans to build location based entertainment venues around the country.
Show me where Disney Quest’s scuttled expansion plans incurred a write down in the hundreds of millions.

celluloid

To your first part.
While not perfect,and I said it was a film analogy, not a perfect comparison. Sure it is. But worse when they have record budget tent poles fail. That's why movies are called franchises. It kills at synergy in sequels, theme parks and video games etc. What kind of movies the company will make and produce. Where they will release and distribute. The list goes on and on.

To the second.
You should fact check yourself. The regional ideas officially, completely died under Iger's time circa 2010, when Iger pulled the plug and ESPN Zone he was still trying to build and operate were dying and the division was eliminated.

Disney Quest lived seven years after that making money. Not a smash hit. Greatly reduced from it's original goals when Chicago did not work. But worked well into Iger's reign making the company money.
Look how quickly the plug was pulled on Star Cruiser vs how they kept Disney Quest Operating. If there was even a chance the shell of it could make money with lower pricing and no future advancements as bits broke, they would have ridden that for years.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is a difference between only adding one attraction in 2000 after opening in 1998 and nothing but operating as functional, vs the visits I took in 2011 and onward where more and.more was.cllsed, not staffed and or broken and given up on completely with. Nothing new, fixed or added in 12 years.

Because the entire concept was shutdown in 2001! DTD DQ was just left to run in place… a farce of itself for 15+yrs … dead man walking… simply because it was better for disney to keep the corpse open then tear it down. Disney could sell it false value in tickets and because it provided a rainy day ‘something’.

Tearing stuff down costs money too. Disney just chose the weekend at bernie’s strategy because it was a big uncontested asset they had nothing better to put in it’s place.

They were never going to put any more into it after they gave up on the concept- because the project was shuttered. It was left there to busy guests and milk whatever they could out of the corpse. Dead Man walking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom