News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you’ll get an app to guide you thru your stay. ;)

Seriously, I’m sure there will be concierge rooms, but I doubt that all rooms will come with such service. I really do think an app is more likely.
Can’t use an app when your phone is locked away at the front door;););) I have no doubt they will either offer some sort of app or possibly a device given to you at checkin. Believe it or not some people actually still don’t have smart phones. I would expect some form of human interaction as well. Not a private guide, but someone who can help people get the most out of their experience.

I don’t actually know anything for certain so this is all speculation on my part, just piecing together various things I’ve read here and a few other places. There very well may be different levels of service based on how much you are willing to pay. That makes a lot of sense with this type of experience. However, I do expect the basic or lowest level of service will be on par or better than the other deluxe resorts on property. They have size on their side and since guests are going to be spending all day/night at the resort there needs to be a larger concentration of CMs providing assistance.
If the butler isn't a droid, I want my money back.
The droid butler will be part of the VIP package. This is Disney, not HBO, so don’t expect the droids to do any of the stuff the ones on Westworld do...including killing all the guests:)
I agree with much of your post, but even with top notch attention and services, the rooms - at least in the depictions - are hard plastic and or fiberglass quarters - cold and stark.
That’s more a matter of personal taste. I’ve heard a lot of people say CR is cold and not inviting. That’s more an issue with theme than luxury.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think a few things to consider for this. First, Disney's new model is to nickel and dime you to death (aka Dessert Parties, VIP seating) and as they've stated, optional costuming, level of participation, and other potentials will be provided for this experience. You can be ensured there will be more than enough things to sap your cash that you'll be out a LOT by the time you leave. Of course, now that Disney is closing in on the Fox deal, one of the droids may be named Bender and he'll simply pick pocket all the chumps and meat bags as they leave. ;-) So the price may be a bit lower, but chances are good that by the time a batch of folks check out, the pricing will have averaged out. Much like a cruise, you pay your "inclusive" price, but don't even attempt to tell me there are no opportunities to open the wallet and shake it out.

For those who think a "space themed hotel" isn't luxury because of the theme, the comparison to AKL and others emphasizes the potential trim level. After all, they are simply different themes that appeal to different people. If you think space is cold and not luxury but prefer AKL or even BLT, there are ample folks who I've heard complain about the themeing of those but for different reasons. Value (er, uh, Deluxe) is in the eye of the spender, in this case.

@George - I liked the Mad Max reference. Too bad they got rid of "Lights, Motors, Action!" as that would have made a nice conversion to Thunder Dome! I wonder if Barter Town would be powered by Muppet Pigs?
All good points.

I could think of a dozen huge profit upcharges off the top of my head they could add on for this type of experience. Imagine what they could hit people up for for a photo package. Plus all the gear and accessories.

Incomudro

I think a few things to consider for this. First, Disney's new model is to nickel and dime you to death (aka Dessert Parties, VIP seating) and as they've stated, optional costuming, level of participation, and other potentials will be provided for this experience. You can be ensured there will be more than enough things to sap your cash that you'll be out a LOT by the time you leave. Of course, now that Disney is closing in on the Fox deal, one of the droids may be named Bender and he'll simply pick pocket all the chumps and meat bags as they leave. ;-) So the price may be a bit lower, but chances are good that by the time a batch of folks check out, the pricing will have averaged out. Much like a cruise, you pay your "inclusive" price, but don't even attempt to tell me there are no opportunities to open the wallet and shake it out.

For those who think a "space themed hotel" isn't luxury because of the theme, the comparison to AKL and others emphasizes the potential trim level. After all, they are simply different themes that appeal to different people. If you think space is cold and not luxury but prefer AKL or even BLT, there are ample folks who I've heard complain about the themeing of those but for different reasons. Value (er, uh, Deluxe) is in the eye of the spender, in this case.

@George - I liked the Mad Max reference. Too bad they got rid of "Lights, Motors, Action!" as that would have made a nice conversion to Thunder Dome! I wonder if Barter Town would be powered by Muppet Pigs?

I agree with most of your post, but look at the images of the rooms: They are cold, stark, glossy hard plastic and fiberglass.
Hardly the stuff of luxury.

Bocabear

I agree with most of your post, but look at the images of the rooms: They are cold, stark, glossy hard plastic and fiberglass.
Modern can be luxurious... It's all about the details and the linens and amenities...
I remember staying at the Grand Floridian once years ago and they had the cheapest mattresses and linens... It was ridiculous. I think they have rectified that situation since then... But now if those mattresses were all sleep number beds with very nice linens, and the bathrooms were large and spa-like while still being in theme, I think it could definitely feel luxurious...and for what they will most likely be charging for this experience, it should be... They should have the Sleep Number company create a special mattress just for them with all the bells and whistle... The cooling/heating mattress toppers and full range adjustability.

Unplugged

Like an iPhone X, Galaxy S8, or an MacBook Pro? Big ticket items that have lines out the door for new ones, and EVERYONE spending on luxury items has one of them.

I'm only giving you a hard time as I understand where your coming from. This is a complex claim as very modern (Contemporary) hotels are cold, stark, glossy hard plastic, metal, and glass, yet they can go for a lot per night as well. If we took the Geek approach, we could say that these rooms are a lot better than having to sleep aboard a Klingon Bird of Prey. Though I can ensure you that if a "Sleep on a Bird of Prey" experience existed, there are ample people who would pay extra for the immersive experience.

My point is just that the services offered may be comparable to a Deluxe resort, while the style is really a choice. I find the stark futuristic room more appealing than the Grand Floridian. While I find GF a beautiful resort, it isn't my style. Believe it or not, I'm DVC over at WL Boulder Ridge and love that cozy feel it has. However, I have no issue with a deluxe room styled as a star ship either. Though I would also skip out on the Klingon experience. I can't eat Klingon Gagh in the morning as serpent worms upset my stomach. ;-)

flyerjab

Back to topic. I think that the one thing that could really help this succeed is the interactive elements. They could have gun stations that people could man if the ship or space station they are on comes under attack (just imagine the video footage that could be used on all of the fake windows looking out into space. Even people not participating could watch events unfold. Or they could have something like the Void Star Wars experience in Disney Springs. Plus, cast members in character will have a big impact on the success or failure of this. I really hope that they make this work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incomudro

Like an iPhone X, Galaxy S8, or an MacBook Pro? Big ticket items that have lines out the door for new ones, and EVERYONE spending on luxury items has one of them.

I'm only giving you a hard time as I understand where your coming from. This is a complex claim as very modern (Contemporary) hotels are cold, stark, glossy hard plastic, metal, and glass, yet they can go for a lot per night as well. If we took the Geek approach, we could say that these rooms are a lot better than having to sleep aboard a Klingon Bird of Prey. Though I can ensure you that if a "Sleep on a Bird of Prey" experience existed, there are ample people who would pay extra for the immersive experience.

My point is just that the services offered may be comparable to a Deluxe resort, while the style is really a choice. I find the stark futuristic room more appealing than the Grand Floridian. While I find GF a beautiful resort, it isn't my style. Believe it or not, I'm DVC over at WL Boulder Ridge and love that cozy feel it has. However, I have no issue with a deluxe room styled as a star ship either. Though I would also skip out on the Klingon experience. I can't eat Klingon Gagh in the morning as serpent worms upset my stomach. ;-)

I understand, but modern and contemporary is not the same as space ship sleeping quarters.
At least in the way we see them in the concept art depictions

Lensman

Back to topic. I think that the one thing that could really help this succeed is the interactive elements. They could have gun stations that people could man if the ship or space station they are on comes under attack (just imagine the video footage that could be used on all of the fake windows looking out into space. Even people not participating could watch events unfold. Or they could have something like the Void Star Wars experience in Disney Springs. Plus, cast members in character will have a big impact on the success or failure of this. I really hope that they make this work.
I hope so too!

Your post got me thinking about Ender's Game and the idea of simulations and training vs "telepresence". I want to avoid spoilers so I will leave it there. But I could also see the kids getting into this as a 2 day long TSMM. I would want more but I've learned to never underestimate how long they can be absorbed by mindless screen time.

I understand, but modern and contemporary is not the same as space ship sleeping quarters.
At least in the way we see them in the concept art depictions
I don't recall seeing shipboard sleeping quarters in any of the movies. I haven't watched all of the animated features either. I wonder what kind of ship this is? I'd assume that we will still somehow be civilians and any space combat we see will just be on a "desperate need" basis. I was thinking we would be on a luxury liner like the Colonial One from Battlestar Galactica.

I wouldn't mind the kids being in the bunk beds but I would be unhappy if we had to sleep in one.

I wonder how much down time we will have? I was wondering if rooms would have a TV? I hope I don't trigger another massive bikeshed fight about whether Disney won't have TVs in the room because it breaks immersion.

Back stories remove the mystery too.
Once they are done, the audience can no longer have their own theories, their own sense of wonder.
It's been taken away from them.
I thought "Oh no!" when I first heard that Lucasfilm was planning a Han Solo backstory movie, and so did everyone else I talked to. I think this was another major headwind that the movie faced - that so many people thought it was a bad idea from the start.

Thinking about it, the entire first trilogy was a backstory for Darth Vader. Like many, I found it a compelling backstory but the execution was so poor that I was disappointed except for a few moments of appreciating the realization of my imagination of Coruscant or of Anakin and Obi Wan's lightsaber duel.

Indy_UK

Anyway, when are they going to break ground and actually start building this hotel. This is obviously penning for a 2021 release date?

Last edited by a moderator:

nickys

Premium Member
Anyway, when are they going to break ground and actually start building this hotel. This is obviously penning for a 2021 release date?

Well the retention pond is started I believe. The site is confirmed. And permits refer to Project H (for Hubble).

As soon as further permits are filed for actual building, I'm sure @danlb_2000 will post both here and on the Permits thread. Keep following these two threads and we'll know well before any official announcement!

S 2

Just noticing the mound of dirt in the background taking on a new shape.. could this be the beginning of progress for the new hotel?
Star-Wars-Land_Full_32917.jpg

Unplugged

According to the angle of that photo, behind the dirt is Osceola Parkway and the Studio Drive interchange. As Studio Drive is slated to go away (no more back entrance) if I remember correctly, then the hotel should be going in front of the dirt and within the ditch that creates the park perimeter. Though I too am piecing this together and my perspective could be all wrong.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
According to the angle of that photo, behind the dirt is Osceola Parkway and the Studio Drive interchange. As Studio Drive is slated to go away (no more back entrance) if I remember correctly, then the hotel should be going in front of the dirt and within the ditch that creates the park perimeter. Though I too am piecing this together and my perspective could be all wrong.

Best guess based on permits...

1529985916697.png

1529985948943.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom