News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

mickEblu

I think that’s because you’re trying to evaluate it apart from the story. The play acting is the experience. The environment is themed just enough to help uptight grownups relax enough to pretend they’re in a Star Wars story. Without the pretending, of course it’s not ”worth it.”

Of course for me it’s absolutely not worth it, even if there was some beautiful lounge for a dinner show. Just disappointing to see they cheaped out on that. I wanted to see a Star Wars version of an old school Vegas style/ Copacabana dinner and show. In fact I’ve always wanted to find one of these in real life. Do these still exist?

_caleb

Of course for me it’s absolutely not worth it, even if there was some beautiful lounge for a dinner show. Just disappointing to see they cheaped out on that. I wanted to see a Star Wars version of an old school Vegas style/ Copacabana dinner and show. In fact I’ve always wanted to find one of these in real life. Do these still exist?
I’m not sure. But the things that you’re disappointed about here are things that don’t matter so much to the people this is actually aimed at. They’re interested in using their imaginations.

celluloid

Not exactly the same but similar vibes and spirit to that kind of thing over at Mango's in Orlando.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Does anyone know if the costumed performers onboard the Halcyon are Equity or for that matter union at all? I'm trying to map out in my head what the drivers are that got Disney to the aggressive pricing of this whole thing. It's clear the construction on a per guest room basis is well above what they might normally spend but that doesn't account for all of the price.

It's clearly an extraordinarily labor-intensive operation with indications there are many behind-the-scenes people supporting the engagement of the crew members on board through headsets feeding them info and cues. I'm guessing the cast to guest ratio is way, way higher even than it is on the cruise line. If all of those are equity performers that would be a factor in the total costs. Not to mention the extraordinary amount of training and test-and-adjust costs to get everything and everyone ready for opening.

Based on prior readings of the Equity contract with Disney, I would assume that all of the on stage costumed performers are Equity. It might be possible that those in mask/headgear could possibly not be (if they are not delivering their own lines and are just miming) but I'd be shocked if they are not also Equity. The backstage folks would not necessarily need to be Equity, but I would expect a lot of overlap.

While Disney has certainly continued to cut corners in entertainment over the past 20+ years, it would appear that this venture is quite entertainment-labor intensive which certainly impacts the cost.

mickEblu

I’m not sure. But the things that you’re disappointed about here are things that don’t matter so much to the people this is actually aimed at. They’re interested in using their imaginations.

Suspending disbelief and using your imagination are not the same thing. And yes I’ll admit the roleplaying thing is not for me but I still don’t it’s being done well or that they knocked this thing out of the park making it worth the price.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

That's the strange thing, the addition of the story line does make this look possibly fun instead of a complete ripoff--but you definitely need to be a bit of a theater kid if you want to enjoy it as an adult (instead of just doing it to make your kids happy). That personality type doesn't necessarily overlap with "Star Wars fan."

I'm really curious to see how people react to THAT long a stint of immersive theater. Both the guests and the performers...
Fair points you brought up.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think most young humans enjoy pretending. It’s the grownups that have to relearn this. You don’t have to be a theater kid to get caught up in a story, and when the story is unfolding all around you (and you’ve invested a TON of money), it’s even easier.
Disney adults being the possible exception to that rule, we already pretend we’re meeting the real characters when we do a meet and greet or watch a parade, we gasp and applaud when Tinkerbell flys during the fireworks, we wear the clothes, lose ourselves on the rides, chase after rare characters... many of us already go to the parks to act like kids.

We are the perfect demographic for this.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You don’t understand fandoms. Quidditch is a professional sport, with leagues around the world. The price is high. It’s not worth it to people like you. We’ll see whether the people it was designed for feel the same way.
I understand fandoms. The quidditch leagues I understand. Those, despite the rules being real meaningless and the fact flying brooms don't exist, look fun. It was started by the fans for the fans. I support that. I can't support a fundamentally flawed hotel by a corporation who does not understand the franchise they purchased for $4 Billion

Cesar R M

I don't remember that luxury room on the space cruise scene for Fifth Element at all - was that cut from the final movie print?
The room Dallas( Bruce Willis) is IS the luxury suite (in the cruise).
Where he calls his exwife.
And also there is the room where Lelo fights the army of aliens and where Zorg (Gary Oldman) plants the bomb.

celluloid

Disney adults being the possible exception to that rule, we already pretend we’re meeting the real characters when we do a meet and greet or watch a parade, we gasp and applaud when Tinkerbell flys during the fireworks, we wear the clothes, lose ourselves on the rides, chase after rare characters... many of us already go to the parks to act like kids.

We are the perfect demographic for this.

This is true, the question there is Doing that for 600 dollars for the year, with random weekdays and weekends for hours at a time is different than the person who is going to afford this for them and possibly their mixed level of committment family for nearly two days straight no matter what moods or random things come up in their minds during.

Not that it won't be a hit enough to keep prices and current format going, but its an experiment for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom