News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

I'm assuming the playacting is going to be all very, very tame and broad and the baddie is going to come across as more annoying and campy than menacing. I was listening to the Orlando Sentinel podcast and the press guy described the acting vibe as "corporate retreat"--he's not a Star Wars fan, though, so perhaps the pixie dust, I mean Force wouldn't work on him.
I’m not sure what you’d call “tame.” I do believe guestes sign a waiver allowing actors to physically touch them. In several videos, Stormtroopers “grab” suspicious guests and the “spy” pats people on the back.

I’m sure the acting will improve with practice (and then possibly devolve into corny and intentionally self-deprecating dad jokes á la Jungle Cruise, should it last that long).

_caleb

Bespin and Naboo are the finest examples of star wars "luxury" that is not brutalist (the other being the Emperor's quarters, which are mostly minimalistic)
Yeah. Probably Cloud City. Naboo has that Spanish architecture that doesn’t really feel all that “spacey” to me.

celluloid

Also the hidden cameras in each room should help prevent theft.

(presuming that is a joke based on concerns before) Well, if Disney is going that illegal...ha. RFID chip would actually be the best route if we are going back to realistic on that.

Luckily the rooms offer so little, there is not much to take inventory on when room service checks. "Oh they took that glass mug vase thing. Charge the card and get a new one out of the closet."

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Yeah, I'm wondering about the integration of the tech with the live encounters.

Several videos show people being contacted on their datapad by one of the GMs (Cast Members playing as NPC Game Masters) after running into them. Does that happen because:
1. The GM informs central control about the encounter and give the OK to give them a mission?​
2. The MagicBand tracking shows that the player spent some time near a GM, and then sends them a message if they're interested in 'helping out'?​
3. The players just get random contacts even if they didn't have an interaction with the GM?​
Whose willing to test this out by spending a few thousand bucks to just stay in your room to see what happens?
I assume since almost all CMs that are story specific, have microphones and on-ears set. They are all connected to a "game master" that knows who and what.
Disney already had face recognition going on, so linking that with the magicbands LPS(local gps) and camera tracking would make things easier.

Last edited:

_caleb

You kidding right?
Star Wars IS Fantasy SCIFI.

At this point I'm not even sure if you're just outright being a troll or just really that dense trying to counter everything you read here.
Science Fantasy and Science Fiction aren’t the same thing.

Are you new to Star Wars fandom? Because this is something that’s been debated for 40 years.
Here’s an un-academic essay about it that you might find helpful.

I promise I’m not a troll. Just a Star Wars and Disney fan who likes talking about the things I like with other people who are interested in them.

Vegas Disney Fan

I assume since almost all CMs that are store specific, have microphones and on-ears set. They are all connected to a "game master" that knows who and what.
Disney already had face recognition going on, so linking that with the magicbands LPS(local gps) and camera tracking would make things easier.

I’m curious if it requires a live person vs just magic band tracking. All the missions, what rooms you’ve explored, what you did in Batuu, what characters you’ve spent time with, etc could simply be magic band tracking. It may just be a computer algorithm running the show. If A then B, if not A then C…

Cesar R M

Yep. This is what @MisterPenguin was referring to. How does the datapad know what side missions I've been assigned? Somehow, when the character gives an assignment/mission, that mission is added to the itinerary of those who were within earshot? It must be connected to the Magic Bands (or whatever Starwarsy name they've been given in-story). This is pretty neat.

Wouldn't it be cool if something like this was implemented for character meet-and-greets in the Parks? Like instead of my kid collecting signatures, they were able to "friend" the characters on some Disney Parks social media network and continue to interact with those characters after the encounter?

Does the Genie app do anything like this?
The Genie app seems to recommend more based on load times and wait times than your choices or visits according to many vloggers.
So I do not think the Genie+ is smart (as in predicting). And more like a tool to spread the loads across the parks.

_caleb

I’m curious if it requires a live person vs just magic band tracking. All the missions, what rooms you’ve explored, what you did in Batuu, what characters you’ve spent time with, etc could simply be magic band tracking. It may just be a computer algorithm running the show. If A then B, if not A then C…
I think it’s both. The production team providing cues to the actors and keeping track of any ad-libbed beats that could influence the story.

Cesar R M

Could you imagine if there was a "Crew Lounge" "below deck" where they hung out when they're "off the clock"? Maybe Gaya pops down there between sets, the crew of the Halcyon hang out and talk shop, ship, and murmurs are heard of the true nature of the ship and the impending presence of the First Order . . . You either have to find it for yourself or be "invited" by someone in the crew?

A Star Wars Speakeasy on the ship?
Also, add a maze in the cargo room where you have to sneak and evade First Order soldiers.
The Halcyion feels a bit cramped size wise.

_caleb

Considering how Naboo City is on a planet and not in Space why should it feel 'spacey? It is a palace. On a Planet.
Right. But we’ve been talking about more starwarsy alternatives to the current aesthetic of the Starcruiser. The question was, “in the movies, what are some examples of a ”luxury” environment?”

To my knowledge, there are no scenes in the films that take place in a luxury ship. So we’ve been throwing around other locations that might at least feel a little but spaceshipy.

Cesar R M

They've talked a lot over the years about making the parks more interactive, but that has never really translated into anything concrete and I wonder how you can practically make it work in such a volume business. Everything they've come up with from you're name flashing up on a poster in the Rock'n'Roller Coaster queue to ap-based games has always seemed a little lacklustre and hardly worth the effort.

This doesn't excuse getting rid of the entertainment and atmosphere for SW:GE. However, I was always a bit suspicious of the notion that over-burdened, under-paid CMs were suddenly going to have potentially hundreds or thousands of interactions with random guests each day about their ride experience or other aspects of their time in the land while working retail or food service. Perhaps attractions can be made more interactive (though they also need to more broadly address issues of capacity), but I suspect the idea that any area of the park through which tens of thousands of people are going to be wandering every day will have anything beyond seperate interactive experiences like attractions or shows is going to remain a pipe dream for some time if not forever.

Honestly, I think they instead need to look more to live entertainment and streetmosphere-type stuff to provide unique, interactive experiences.

I agree. I know we have a language all of our own, but hassled is certainly a normal word in Australia, e.g. "I was hassled by a bloody copper for drinking a stubbie down by the billabong this arvo."
Don't worry. Since thousands of kids from colleges will initiate their cheap labour, I mean.. enjoyable time as CMs when Disney reopens the college program...
Disney will have more manpower to offset the costs of returning real actors.
But even then, Disney might be pushing the "LOOH FOLKS. HOW MUCH MONEY WE AVE BY NOT HIRING THE ACTORS WE USED TO HAVE!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom