News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

The Genie app seems to recommend more based on load times and wait times than your choices or visits according to many vloggers.
So I do not think the Genie+ is smart (as in predicting). And more like a tool to spread the loads across the parks.
Yeah. Which means that even though the app is being promoted as something that can help guests experience things they might like, it’s actually an app to help Disney distribute crowds.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Right. But we’ve been talking about more starwarsy alternatives to the current aesthetic of the Starcruiser. The question was, “in the movies, what are some examples of a ”luxury” environment?”

To my knowledge, there are no scenes in the films that take place in a luxury ship. So we’ve been throwing around other locations that might at least feel a little but spaceshipy.
This thread is filled with suggestions on how they could have made it better and look more like Star Wars. I'd suggest you start on page 1 and work your way up

Cesar R M

Yes, its a failure. Sold out in March, April, over half of May and all of June. It looks clear that people hate this. No one wants to go and that is why its selling out.
Its a classic blogger and reviewer hype.
There are always boosts in buying/reserving when something is announced and finally out.
Long term will dictate if its a real success.
Hopefully it will be and we will see more offers like this. But not begin huge paywalls.

Cesar R M

View attachment 624507
"Say, Billy, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"
captainamerica_understoodreference.png

Poor Billy, he probably will get asked if he seen a grown man naked.

The kid is very clearly wondering how Star Lord got into the Star Wars LARP.

Considering how old this Star Lord..
He is close to be "Back in my days, we saved the galaxy.. no magical bull like the force"
and kid be like "Sure Pah, Let's get to Gaya's"

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I’m sure the acting will improve with practice (and then possibly devolve into corny and intentionally self-deprecating dad jokes á la Jungle Cruise, should it last that long).

So far, I'm avoiding the videos so I'm not really going to get into the quality of acting... but knowing that at least 3 of the regular (and at times main) cast are veterans of the Adventurer's Club in PI, my expectations are pretty high. Those are some folks with some solid skills at interacting with guests and improvising in character.

celluloid

So far, I'm avoiding the videos so I'm not really going to get into the quality of acting... but knowing that at least 3 of the regular (and at times main) cast are veterans of the Adventurer's Club in PI, my expectations are pretty high. Those are some folks with some solid skills at interacting with guests and improvising in character.

I am glad you are avoiding videos in case you go. Let me say, as someone who has been in themed entertainment, specifically involved with themed entertainment before and a geek for longer than that, it is as good as live interactive theater can get. This was not the issue with this hotel. The cast and crew have done amazing.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I am glad you are avoiding videos in case you go. Let me say, as someone who has been in themed entertainment, specifically involved with themed entertainment before and a geek for longer than that, it is as good as live interactive theater can get. This was not the issue with this hotel. The cast and crew have done amazing.
Um no. The acting is crap. It's obvious you have never been to Medival Times that has a PERFECT combo of good acting and dinner theatre.

_caleb

This thread is filled with suggestions on how they could have made it better and look more like Star Wars. I'd suggest you start on page 1 and work your way up
I’ve been following from the beginning. I’m aware of past suggestions. I’ve made a few myself. But most of those were based on the concept art and then on the sneak peek videos. Now we’re seeing long-form videos so the question is the same but our answers might have changed.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

Not avoiding videos in case I go, just avoiding videos. I find cell phone videos with crappy phone microphones and compressed video to post to youtube to be painful. And almost always a disappointment compared to a live experience. If I was ever to actually get to experience this, I have the utmost faith in the cast and crew (if not the utmost faith in my credit rating).

_caleb

I agree. And yes, improvising with unpredictable guests while staying in character is a very unique skill set. Here’s hoping they do a consistently good job.

And let’s pour one out for the Adventurer’s Club!

kingdead

I’m not sure what you’d call “tame.” I do believe guestes sign a waiver allowing actors to physically touch them. In several videos, Stormtroopers “grab” suspicious guests and the “spy” pats people on the back.

I’m sure the acting will improve with practice (and then possibly devolve into corny and intentionally self-deprecating dad jokes á la Jungle Cruise, should it last that long).
I'm comparing it to other immersive theater experiences, like Punchdrunk or those interactive movie screenings where you participate in a themed experience beforehand. Or something like Meow Wolf, where it's a big art installation that you can interact with. You can take older kids to some of those experiences but their primary audience is adults and they may involve gory imagery, ideological references, and yes, s-e-x (or at least the idea that it exists!) Nothing in this cruise is going to make the parents of a seven-year-old have to answer any uncomfortable questions.

It's interesting, what Disney is doing with Star Wars here reminds me of what they did with fairy tales--Star Wars was aimed toward kids, but there were still a few jagged edges (Luke's family dies, his hand gets cut off, Han and Leia flirt and fall in love, the whole fall of Anakin storyline). The new product is a little bit more... sanded down? I wouldn't expect the Starcruiser to be any different.

celluloid

Um no. The acting is crap. It's obvious you have never been to Medival Times that has a PERFECT combo of good acting and dinner theatre.

Dinner theater and immersive improv are different. I have written and directed themed entertainment. I know one person who is approved to play Croy personally and the person works hard and is great at what he does. I am not the best at what I have done, and I admit that show saber switched to stunt saber needs to be rectified ASAP, but I am far from not knowing some basics. Not diminishing Medieval Times, it is great, but not the same as improv other than foyer meet and greets which I have not seen much of in a while and is different than always being on. (I have been twice by the way)

Last edited:

_caleb

I'm comparing it to other immersive theater experiences, like Punchdrunk or those interactive movie screenings where you participate in a themed experience beforehand. Or something like Meow Wolf, where it's a big art installation that you can interact with. You can take older kids to some of those experiences but their primary audience is adults and they may involve gory imagery, ideological references, and yes, s-e-x (or at least the idea that it exists!) Nothing in this cruise is going to make the parents of a seven-year-old have to answer any uncomfortable questions.

It's interesting, what Disney is doing with Star Wars here reminds me of what they did with fairy tales--Star Wars was aimed toward kids, but there were still a few jagged edges (Luke's family dies, his hand gets cut off, Han and Leia flirt and fall in love, the whole fall of Anakin storyline). The new product is a little bit more... sanded down? I wouldn't expect the Starcruiser to be any different.
I see what you‘re saying. And yes, I would expect everything in-story on the Starcruiser to be family-friendly.

But I don’t think that necessarily means it will be boring or “mainly for kids.” If (and I keep emphasizing the “if”) adults will let down their hair and play along, I think they could find it quite thrilling. In one of the videos posted earlier in the thread, a vlogger was getting super stressed out trying to remember the top-secret instructions given to him by a spy character while he was also trying to sort out whether or not he wanted to trust that the spy was a good guy and not a bad guy.

I don’t think there is any (legal) level of detail that Disney could possibly provide that would make it unnecessary for guests to suspend disbelief and also use their imaginations a bit.

_caleb

I haven’t seen any indication that the interior Starcruiser is equipped with any special effects meant to simulate blaster damage. I’ve seen the sparking mechanisms on the railing for the lightsaber dual and the chandelier that “falls,” but no blaster marks on walls or anything like that.

It would be cool if they incorporated some of those Muppet Vision 3D damage effects!

Skywise

The room Dallas( Bruce Willis) is IS the luxury suite (in the cruise).
Where he calls his exwife.
And also there is the room where Lelo fights the army of aliens and where Zorg (Gary Oldman) plants the bomb.
yeah - I remember the phone call (and the bomb! :D ) - I just don't remember that rug! Guess I'll have to do a rewatch :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom