News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Morkey Moose

Expectation:
81uGy0IfHGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reality:
description_image_9dd8faa590379a6f3682e794478970b2_terrible_horrible_no_good_very_bad_star_war...jpg

Roy G. Dis

I'm about 90% interested in how the storytelling and immersion works and then 10% interested in the food and lodging works.

In a time when some corporations are trying to sell us on the metaverse and virtual experiences here is a real life stage production where guests are the independent variables. It may fail but its ambition is awesome.

GimpYancIent

I'm about 90% interested in how the storytelling and immersion works and then 10% interested in the food and lodging works.

In a time when some corporations are trying to sell us on the metaverse and virtual experiences here is a real life stage production where guests are the independent variables. It may fail but its ambition is awesome.
1645974155182.png

GimpYancIent

Right. And those experiences are ones I am most blah on. The bridge training? Not into that for long tbh. That stuff a absolutely is what will suck the kids in. Honestly a good portion felt dumbed down in a way. Not for long term SW fans. It doesn't even look like SW to me much. Which makes me like it less.

I suppose that's my issue is that good portions I have seen are aimed at families with honestly younger kids. The rest feels for those who have been dreaming of their created cosplay characters lived out in an elaborate show.

It definitely was marketed and designed for families though or the bunks are for nothing.

I'm still sad this is how it turned out. Just not my bag and I love SW. While Batuu is still not as much older SW the vibes are right.
1645976517228.png

999th Happy Haunt

So as far as we all know there is one…and only one…ending to this entire experience and that ending is now completely online and available for anyone to view.

So no matter what you do on board, no matter who you talk to, no matter who you help…it all ends with the same finale. Everything you do in “your story” is moot to the overarching story.

Sure the discovery is fun but the outcome will ALWAYS be the same.

Am I alone in finding that extremely disappointing?
I mean, isn’t that true for every attraction? Journey, not destination.

LovePop

I highly recommend the DFB video about the Starcruiser if you haven't seen it already. It's the best on Youtube and perfectly done. Whether you like the Starcruiser or not, the video is cool to watch. My feelings about the Starcruiser hasn't changed since the beginning: I wouldn't mind being in there for a couple of hours, looking around at the theming and playing some games and eating. I don't want to be there for a couple of days for any amount of money. I don't have the energy or patience for it.

999th Happy Haunt

Any shot some of the new MagicBand+ stuff we know is coming to Galaxy’s Edge resembles some of the story telling and missions in the Starcruiser? We know the game is supposed to be about collecting bounties, can’t see how that can be done effectively without some cast member interactions or datapad integration.

LovePop

I just got to thinking, every 2 days they have a down time between 10am to 1pm where guests checkin/checkout, when they clean and stuff. Why don't they charge say, $300 for a family of 4 to be there during that time? They can look around, eat some snacks, play some games. They will also be cleaning and some of the experienes will be down or not work (just like the parks), many characters missing, so the experience won't be near as pristine or immersive, but the price will also be more approachable to the masses. Then at 12:30pm, everybody gets moved out and the overnight guests come in at 1pm. It's a win win.

Communicora

Premium Member
I just got to thinking, every 2 days they have a down time between 10am to 1pm where guests checkin/checkout, when they clean and stuff. Why don't they charge say, $300 for a family of 4 to be there during that time? They can look around, eat some snacks, play some games. They will also be cleaning and some of the experienes will be down or not work (just like the parks), many characters missing, so the experience won't be near as pristine or immersive, but the price will also be more approachable to the masses. Then at 12:30pm, everybody gets moved out and the overnight guests come in at 1pm. It's a win win.
People are partially paying for the exclusivity of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You want upsells within an upsell before it even opens?

Any other ideas, Bob?

_caleb

Anyone who did this would be disappointed. Just like a lot of the disappointment you’re reading here, the physical location and the in-story ”activities” were not designed to stand alone. The entire thing depends on the actors and interactions. It’s all more of a cool backdrop to help people pretend they’re in a Star Wars story. That’s the experience Disney is selling here.

Without the story, the setting is, um, lackluster.

UNCgolf

This doesn't excuse getting rid of the entertainment and atmosphere for SW:GE. However, I was always a bit suspicious of the notion that over-burdened, under-paid CMs were suddenly going to have to have potentially hundreds or thousands of interactions with random guests each day about their ride experience or other aspects of their time in the land while working retail or food service. Perhaps attractions can be made more interactive (though they also need to more broadly address issues of capacity), but I suspect the ideal of any area of the park in which tens of thousands of people are going to be wandering through every day having anything but seperate interactive experiences like attractions or shows is going to remain a pipe dream for some time if not forever.

Honestly, I think they instead need to look more to live entertainment and streetmosphere-type stuff to provide unique, interactive experiences.

The idea that SW:GE was going to have a bunch of stories that could play out differently for different guests was never remotely believable to me -- again, barring something incredibly simple that would have disappointed basically everyone. It would require logistics on a massive scale considering the number of people in the parks each day.

Putting that kind of storytelling in the Starcruiser, a much smaller and far more easily curated experience, makes sense even if the price is ridiculous. However, larger shows like the Rey/Ren battle and the dinner theater (not to mention characters/effects) on display should also be in Galaxy's Edge. That's not to say they shouldn't have their own unique set pieces on the Starcruiser, but GE should absolutely have that kind of thing as well to give it more life.

It's my biggest concern with the Starcruiser -- that if it's a huge success, they'll continue to push all of that into upcharge experiences and really drain the life out of the theme parks.

Last edited:

TP2000

…at the pool

Richard Nixon said “I am not a crook” in the contemporary

I have often wanted to go find the exact ballroom he gave that infamous speech in at the Contemporary. But I usually crash at the Poly, and it's one of those things that I never get around to doing once I'm there at WDW. I was never a big fan of The Beatles, so that's lost on me when I'm at the Poly.

asianway

I have often wanted to go find the exact ballroom he gave that infamous speech in at the Contemporary. But I usually crash at the Poly, and it's one of those things that I never get around to doing once I'm there at WDW. I was never a big fan of The Beatles, so that's lost on me when I'm at the Poly.
Balllroom of Americas 2nd floor. You passed it if you ever took the escalator

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom