News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It seems like the majority of folks commenting on the Starcruiser simply don’t have the conceptual category to understand what this is/isn’t.

People vacation in different ways, and so much comes down to personal preference. I believe it’s wholly incumbent upon Disney to describe this in a way that allows customers to know what it is, and that they’ve not done a goood job of it here.

But this is a Disney fan site and lots of people who read this thread every day still really aren’t trying very heard to get it. Some of the reasons I’m discounting a lot of the opinions I’m seeing posted here:
  • Disney keeps calling this ”an immersive experience.” Why? Because that’s what they’re selling here. Not amenities, not rest and relaxation, not all-you-can-eat buffets, not live music, not even luxury (despite the use of that word to dscribe the Starship). They’re selling the feeling fans can have when the story unfolds around them and they have a tiny bit of influence in how that story unfolds.
  • This is more like a video game but in real life than a hotel or a resort or even a cruise. The cruise is the setting of the 360º interactive show. The closest thing we’ve seen to this in the Parks is probably Citizens of Hollywood.
  • The reason Disney hasn’t tried to market this the way they have other attractions/resorts is that this is a very different sort of thing. I agree with those who would have preferred in-character marketing rather than the behind-the-scenes Imagineer talking points approach, but people don’t get what this is. Marketing it as a “space cruise by Chandrila Star Line Cruises” would be leave customers to their own existing categories to understand it.
  • Watch how many reviews (first vloggers, then media, then actual paying customers) will include something to the effect of, “At first, I didn’t get it. But now, after the experience, I do get it! And I like it!”
  • The facilities are just the set for the show. Yes, we can see the seams from our computer screens, but that’s because we’re evaluating what we see while not immersed in the show.
  • I, too, think this is way overpriced. All of WDW is. But I don’t think they’ll lower the price. If they have a any difficulties selling rooms, I think they’ll add stuff instead. ”Experiences.”
  • This is NOT “aimed” at kids. It’s for fans of Star Wars (all of it, not just OT) who are willing to try something new.
BTW, I’m not an apologist or Pixie-duster. I just understand that Disney is trying to do something different here, and I think it’s going to gain them a corner of the fandom that few have tried to connect with at this level.
🙄. Yeah that must be it. We 'don't get it'. More like Disney does not get REAL Star Wars fans because there is NOTHING here REAL Star Wars fans want to experience that relates to the Star Wars they have known and loved for the past- oh I don't know- 40 FREAKING YEARS!! Most of the activities are for sure amied at little kids. No adult Star Wars fan wants to move rocks or disable a engine with a key or play bingo or do dance lessons that are found on Earth or play with a cheap lightsaber vs flashlight show when they can take their custom $200 plus Sabers and duel with them at home or play a worse version of Spaced Invaders on the Bridge when there are Playstation 5 Star Wars games with more realist graphics they can play at home and not have to watch bad community theatre actors. Yeah...'we don't get it' is the problem 🙄

SplashJacket

Could you imagine if there was a "Crew Lounge" "below deck" where they hung out when they're "off the clock"? Maybe Gaya pops down there between sets, the crew of the Halcyon hang out and talk shop, ship, and murmurs are heard of the true nature of the ship and the impending presence of the First Order . . . You either have to find it for yourself or be "invited" by someone in the crew?

A Star Wars Speakeasy on the ship?
This does make me wonder... If the staff are meant to be characters, how do their breaks work? And how long do they work? Can you find them during basically all waking hours? If so, their shifts must be insane, especially when you consider they have to drive to the Star Cruiser from wherever they live and have someone do their elaborate makeup. I wonder how something like this works without the labor exploitation mechanisms of real cruise ships. Undoubtedly they switch out the staff quite frequently. Maybe they only work every other cruise or on two off two? Since the characters are reoccurring face characters, they can't simply swap the morning staff out for the night staff. Very curious now.

SplashJacket

Random thought I had that I hope I don't jinx: given the close proximity with face characters, what happens when either an actor or guest ends up testing positive for COVID? What protocols would they have in place?
We're transitioning now from "avoid covid like the plague" to an endemic attitude of "meh." There will be many hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the life of the Star Cruiser that staff or guests contract covid. For the cast, they'd just stay home, just like if they had the flu. But how they will replace face characters from day one to two, is a very, very good question!

_caleb

🙄. Yeah that must be it. We 'don't get it'. More like Disney does not get REAL Star Wars fans because there is NOTHING here REAL Star Wars fans want to experience that relates to the Star Wars they have known and loved for the past- oh I don't know- 40 FREAKING YEARS!! Most of the activities are for sure amied at little kids. No adult Star Wars fan wants to move rocks or disable a engine with a key or play bingo or do dance lessons that are found on Earth or play with a cheap lightsaber vs flashlight show when they can take their custom $200 plus Sabers and duel with them at home or play a worse version of Spaced Invaders on the Bridge when there are Playstation 5 Star Wars games with more realist graphics they can play at home and not have to watch bad community theatre actors. Yeah...'we don't get it' is the problem 🙄
You continue to illustrate my point. Thanks!

SplashJacket

I hope that eventually regular park guests can reserve ship tours to eat at the restaurant and visit the ships store between cruises. I am sure there will be a price tag attached to such visits but definitely not the cost of booking a cruise.
I honestly doubt that'll ever happen. Reduces exclusivity, and thus, the incentive to take a trip on the Halcyon. If this is successful, as I assume it will be, I'd experiences like these, to bleed into the parks.

Super Nintendo World has the most interactivity of any theme park land. This takes it a step further, but Disney lacks an equivalent at the Theme Park level. With the introduction of Magic Band+, they definitely want to introduce more in-park interactivity.

Additionally, with the booming success of Space 220 (great food, great environment, at a high price point) I'd expect more equivalent dining experiences. I doubt the Star Wars sit-down restaurant is too far off on either coast. The designated expansion plots are still there on both coasts. It's something that'll make them money, instead of just increasing gate attendance.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You may have seen this video, but here the actor is calling participants by name. He then, in an in-story sort of stroll down memory lane, mentions a handful of story beats and asked who was present for each of them. I think there’s a production team keeping track of guest interactions and story choices. So it would make sense that a guest receive a datapad message as a follow-up to an assignment by a character (“don’t forget! In our brief discussion by the elevators, I asked you to go to the engineering room and steal the tool other guests are using to flip switches and stuff“).

And I am sure them calling them by name had nothing to do with them being vloggers Disney is trying to impress?? Nothing at all. 🙄Let's wait and see if they do that for the family from Indiana after they paid 6k because at that point Disney had their money.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And I am sure them calling them by name had nothing to do with them being vloggers Disney is trying to impress?? Nothing at all. 🙄Let's wait and see if they do that for the family from Indiana after they paid 6k because at that point Disney had their money.
They were using names for non-famous people, such as children who don't have their own YouTube channel.

Yet.

So... make up a new conspiracy theory please.

yensidtlaw1969

This does make me wonder... If the staff are meant to be characters, how do their breaks work? And how long do they work? Can you find them during basically all waking hours? If so, their shifts must be insane, especially when you consider they have to drive to the Star Cruiser from wherever they live and have someone do their elaborate makeup. I wonder how something like this works without the labor exploitation mechanisms of real cruise ships. Undoubtedly they switch out the staff quite frequently. Maybe they only work every other cruise or on two off two? Since the characters are reoccurring face characters, they can't simply swap the morning staff out for the night staff. Very curious now.
I would have to assume that the list of people on "Character Staff" and the "Real Staff" doesn't have any overlap - the performers are treated like Entertainment, and go on breaks according to that, and then the people who actually staff the Halcyon rotate throughout the day and the trip.

Not sure when someone like the Captain would arrive for work and then be able to leave, but they probably have extra breaks built in and are likely paid accordingly for the long day. It does seem like they also only perform every other voyage, at least at the moment.

999th Happy Haunt

Looking at your username
1645943246375.gif

Vegas Disney Fan

Random thought I had that I hope I don't jinx: given the close proximity with face characters, what happens when either an actor or guest ends up testing positive for COVID? What protocols would they have in place?

They may just be banking on the few day incubation period for guests, unless they show up sick they shouldn’t show symptoms until they are gone.

The cast will be easier, most are just crew and even the main characters could be replaced if needed, if the captain gets “called away” her assistant captain could fill in. If Gaya “feels under the weather” the guitarist could fill in. The first order captain could get called back by Kylo and replaced with another captain. It wouldn’t be ideal but it would work within the story.

UNCgolf

It's old hippie speak - I use it often
Very apropos for California culture, other places it is very rare and may get you an annoyed look.
I would guess that spot was created in Glendale rather than Orlando

I don't think this is true -- I grew up in North Carolina and currently live in Georgia and hassle/hassled is a relatively normal word in both places.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Do you know if the DIS get the 4-hour vlogger experience, or the full 2-day press experience?

I'm not sure why people think it was split this way. Not singling you out, because multiple people have said this, but I'm just wondering how it got started and then everyone ran with it. There are regular press outlets that only got the 4 hour experience.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom