News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

doctornick

Star Wars is all about the characters

Hmmmm... I've noticed a lot of talk about this on this thread. Including in the blogger reaction video posted recently. And about GE since it opened. And I'm not saying it's not true but... I don't think it's true for me at least.

I guess I always loved the plot and the ambiance of Star Wars more than being attached to specific characters. The good versus evil, how the Force is mysterious and fascinating, the lived in future. How they are basically westerns/samurai films but in space. I mean, if someone would ask what I'd want to do if I lived in Star Wars it wouldn't be to meet Luke or Han but to pilot an X-wing (or the Falcon!) or learn the Force. Sure, I think using the characters can help build that connection and by all means I can see the argument that Disney is failing at it, but I've never really thought that the "problem" with GE (or seemingly with Halcyon) is not being able to meet Yoda but moreso that there wasn't enough clear connection to the established universe (among other things; GE has a bunch of arguable problems).

As an aside, I think this what makes Harry Potter lands so great - it's not that you are meeting Harry and Hermione and being a part of their story (in fact, I think Gringotts suffers by trying to do that) but that you are the one visiting and experiencing the Wizarding World yourself.

One of the reasons I think Star Tours 2.0 is better than the original (beyond the obvious like the randomization and improved film quality) is that instead of focusing on a specific event - which I always felt was off being in the middle of the climax of Ep IV - is that you get to explore the various corners of the Star Wars universe but on your own. It was a good way to explore the universe we know without directly being involved in the storylines already developed.

I look at The Mandalorian. It's easily the most universally praised piece of Star Wars entertainment since, well, probably Episode V to be honest. And season 1 which was fantastic had... no previously established characters. But there's a ton of references that connect it to beloved material. It didn't feature Boba Fett or Yoda but you watch the first episode and see a guy in the armor and a being of that species and you have that connection. The Force exists but isn't as huge of a part of the story but it's there and it's cool how it thought of in a very different way from a different prospective. You kinda have the Empire but it's not Vader or Palpatine or Tarkin but The Client and Moff Gideon - evocative but not the same. They brought back a Devarorian as low budget a look as that was in EpIV! And an Ugnaught. And yes Tatooine including going to the cantina.

My point is that The Mandalorian Season 1 featured nobody we knew and we loved it. Because it felt like Star Ways. Because it was clear it was in that universe. Personally, while I loved Season 2, I felt that the multiple guest appearances by previously established characters actually weighed it down. It actually brought back a problem that SW has IMHO - too many connections among the storylines. There's like tons of planets and different aliens and somehow everyone seems to know everyone else from the stories we get. It makes it feel too small for what should be sprawling.

I know this is long winded but I guess my point is maybe that not everyone wants to the same thing of Star Wars? I think that the Starcruiser in principle sounds great. I think the issues so far is that the press material doesn't feel like Star Wars and needs to be more evocative of the IP. And what we've seen in terms of the activities just don't look that good. I think you could take the itinerary of what they announced and it could be really cool. It's the execution that seems way off, like they are doing the are minimum instead of making it as fantastic as it could be. Missing the Disney "plussing" of old. And I'm just shocked if this ends up being the case as I felt this experience with this price tag and this exclusivity would finally be the thing that saw Disney pull out all of the stops and make it the thing that is so fantastic that everyone would talk about it and people would be crushed they can't afford it.

Hey, maybe they are just holding back all the awesome stuff. 😜

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Did you send them email saying this was the reason you cancelled?

I'm sure if they get cancellations they won't think much of them, as they could be for any number of reasons, but if you say you were on board until the end product looked underwhelming they may [MAY] take that somewhat seriously.

They pulled a promotional video that was embedded in national news stories. They know why people are cancelling.

pdude81

This thread is full of a bunch of bluists. Sad.
5x1v25.jpg

abaker1975

It is interesting watching the reaction from both camps of the fandom I am in. Seems both Disney (Theme Park) fans and Star Wars fans are absoloutely hating on this.

Disney really are losing all the good will and respect of being the number one player in theme parks/vacations.

The only way we are going to get back the quality that made us all Disney fans is for them to get a good kicking by the fans and a drop in revenue. I hope this starts happening soon.

I would have thought it would be almost harder for a company like Disney to mess up such a rich franchise as Start Wars, but what they are doing is just a sympton of how they are treating all aspects of their current offering.

SWGalaxys_Edge

It is interesting watching the reaction from both camps of the fandom I am in. Seems both Disney (Theme Park) fans and Star Wars fans are absoloutely hating on this.

Disney really are losing all the good will and respect of being the number one player in theme parks/vacations.

The only way we are going to get back the quality that made us all Disney fans is for them to get a good kicking by the fans and a drop in revenue. I hope this starts happening soon.

I would have thought it would be almost harder for a company like Disney to mess up such a rich franchise as Start Wars, but what they are doing is just a sympton of how they are treating all aspects of their current offering.
Big problem is - Disney acquired "Star Wars" then treated it like any other Disney "thing" they own. They didn't take into the account the major differences in fan bases and what they [SW fans] have come to expect in handing their IP. Disney fans are used to paying big bucks for everything and acting like 5 years olds with their "Disney Magic" - Star Wars fans want everything quick and cheap. SW fans like the spoilers and backstage stuff - Disney fans are all offended if you tell them Mickey is not real. Disney is learning the hard way that you can't just shove "the Disney way" down SW fans throats and expect them to just swallow it. I'm a big supporter of the Galactic Starcruiser, and Galaxy's Edge - because #1 I am a Star Wars fan so I love anything Star Wars, but Disney has found a way to that up and alienate its newly acquired fan base. It doesn't seem to care as long as its long time "Disney magic" fan base are still spending their $$

ImperfectPixie

Big problem is - Disney acquired "Star Wars" then treated it like any other Disney "thing" they own. They didn't take into the account the major differences in fan bases and what they [SW fans] have come to expect in handing their IP. Disney fans are used to paying big bucks for everything and acting like 5 years olds with their "Disney Magic" - Star Wars fans want everything quick and cheap. SW fans like the spoilers and backstage stuff - Disney fans are all offended if you tell them Mickey is not real. Disney is learning the hard way that you can't just shove "the Disney way" down SW fans throats and expect them to just swallow it. I'm a big supporter of the Galactic Starcruiser, and Galaxy's Edge - because #1 I am a Star Wars fan so I love anything Star Wars, but Disney has found a way to **** that up and alienate its newly acquired fan base. It doesn't seem to care as long as its long time "Disney magic" fan base are still spending their $$
I would argue that they're showing they don't give a rat's behind about their long-term Disney fans, either. Middle class family with 4 kids that regularly went to Disney with Grandma and Grandpa? Now priced out...that's three generations who are now soured to the brand.

zooey

the ship was designed to be a flex stage where many props can be swapped out, the digital window media can be swapped out, etc. in the future they’re going to offer weeks of Marvel cruises with transportation to future world/Xandar to expand the appeal of the hotel outside of just Star Wars fans

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the underling problem is...You can't charge a Ferrari price and deliver a cheap Fisher Price level toy.

The things shown so far look cartoonish and built for theme parks - not authentic and personal. I mean, even the media content (thinking the captain intro) look horribly fake.

Personally I think Disney showing all this stuff ahead is a horrible idea - when your product is 100% the experience you don't spoil that. That includes limiting guests videoing.

But unfortunately I don't think anything they have shown except the light saber training has been superior to the artist rendering. The twilek is fine... but everything else has been kinda cringe worthy. If I were paying for a $200 2/hr diversion, you could stomach more of that. But as a 5k+ adventure.. I want a real feeling experience. I want things like ear popping atmosphere changes in my shuttle ride... environmental shifts... surfaces and controls that have meaning and consequence. I want staff that look and play the role.. not a few cartoon characters intermixed with fat kids in polyester pants.

pdude81

Personally I think Disney showing all this stuff ahead is a horrible idea - when your product is 100% the experience you don't spoil that. That includes limiting guests videoing.
The "data pad" (Play Disney Parks app) is a big part of managing the experience, so there is zero chance they are able to stop video from leaking out quickly. I agree though that they shouldn't be showing any of it up front as it can cheapen the experience.

ImperfectPixie

The "data pad" (Play Disney Parks app) is a big part of managing the experience, so there is zero chance they are able to stop video from leaking out quickly. I agree though that they shouldn't be showing any of it up front as it can cheapen the experience.
I don't think they have a choice but to release teasers like they have. Can you imagine the outrage if someone booked and wasn't given even a clue of what to expect and was enormously disappointed?

LovePop

Despite all the complaints, the hotel is still fully booked for the first 4 months. So for the people who are going, the trailer videos aren't enough to make them cancel. They like the luxury experience with a SW theme. It's like going to a spa where you get pampered. I've never understood spas, it looks so boring. But spas are popular because people like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom