News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

corran horn

Based on what has been shown in multiple PR video presentations, the example itinerary that was released, lots and lots of official text, and a logical assessment of how this will all work based on what we know about capacity, attendance, length, etc.

Are you opposed to making informed predictions about all future events, or just WDW?

I just don't know how informed it is. Judging by this there's plenty of opportunity for role playing if someone is keen to it. Several of these are immersive. Even just the 'story moments' are 2 hours by themselves.

surfsupdon

I’m glad the Star Wars fans have this as I’m sure it’s super cool for them.

But I genuinely don’t care. Star Tours and SW:GE are not must do’s while at Disney. But I am glad it is for others :)

UNCgolf

I just don't know how informed it is. Judging by this there's plenty of opportunity for role playing if someone is keen to it. Several of these are immersive. Even just the 'story moments' are 2 hours by themselves.

Two hours isn't really that much over the course of a day and a half (especially at the price point). Regardless, I'm more curious about how those story moments actually work and how individual they really are. I have a hard time thinking it won't essentially boil down to a few binary decisions and then everyone who made the same set of binary decisions are all grouped together for the final longer story moment, more or less doing the same thing. That's just a guess, though.

I also think most of the photos they've shown of the interior, up to this point, are pretty bad. That hallway was maybe worse than the bridge. Everything looks like a sized up version of a kid's plastic playset.

Luckily all this random speculation will stop soon as people actually go on the thing and we get more information and photos/videos.

techgeek

Count me in on the crowd that’s underwhelmed with the ‘placemaking’ we’ve seen out of this project… and that’s why we all come to Disney in the first place, isn’t it? World class themed environments and settings. The story is almost always simple, and secondary.

Those looking for the story to save the placemaking failures here… when in the history of WDW has that worked out?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1638227432174.png

1638227458599.png

bubbles1812

The issue there is you see the massive cruise ship you are about to board. If they put a huge space shuttle on top of the building, that could work. Otherwise, the illusion is broken.
This is honestly something I’ve never quite gotten when people complain. The “illusion” is broken all the time at Disney. I mean, should I complain I can see the back of the facades of multiple countries and the show building for Remy when traveling on the Skyliner? Or that I can see the Teacups from the Speedway?

I think we sometimes make a bigger deal of this than most people actually care about. I wasn’t expecting them to do anything special to the parking lot. And I mean, do we even know how they are shuttling guests back and forth to the park? (Sorry if I missed it.)

Incomudro

I don’t think the exterior appearance is a big deal, but it doesn’t particularly look like a shuttle port, either. It seems to look primarily like a concrete bunker. Perhaps they could have had a shuttle sitting near the entrance?

It certainly would have been nice to have a mock-up of the shuttle you are supposed to board that could be seen as part of the drive up to the terminal.
Or maybe one that could be seen through windows inside the terminal, like when you see your jet at the airport.
I blame Chapek.

Epcot82Guy

This is honestly something I’ve never quite gotten when people complain. The “illusion” is broken all the time at Disney. I mean, should I complain I can see the back of the facades of multiple countries and the show building for Remy when traveling on the Skyliner? Or that I can see the Teacups from the Speedway?

I think we sometimes make a bigger deal of this than most people actually care about. I wasn’t expecting them to do anything special to the parking lot. And I mean, do we even know how they are shuttling guests back and forth to the park? (Sorry if I missed it.)

I can obviously only speak for myself, but it's a matter of attention for me. The transitions and sight lines used to be an important part of Disney Parks design. (Heck, it was even part of my Traditions training way back when.). And they passed on a number of projects and project designs because of that. With that, there is also a point at which you can only do so much. Disneyland was masterful at doing this through most of it's time as did original Epcot Center, I would argue. But both had views where it wasn't practical like the skyway and monorails.

But, today, it feels like they just don't care much at all. And, all too often, they are designing things as if they are only viewed from one angle. The "full view" or wide and close up shots have really been lost, presumably because people don't care. Though I would argue, as has been proven with much design especially in hospitality, people often don't know why they perceive quality and attention to detail consciously but they still do.

As a non Disney example, several of the new things feel like that house with the immaculate facade - which you then see is just siding and basic windows on the other three sides. Fine if it's up a hill. But they are now doing that on a corner lot where seeing the side view is guaranteed.

And to your examples, I actually agree with both Alice and Skyliner. They planted trees and put in space to transition from TL to FL, ala the original design. And seeing the peaks of the countries (most of which are finished in all angles, at least at the top) is part of the fun. Where I have an issue is the flat facades of Remy with the very clear show building and supports visible both on the Skyliner and within Epcot. Especially since that was placed where it was for Skyliner purposes. That's where it feels cheap and poor show. (And for SW, my assumption was if you see the unthemed hotel building driving up as the original poster mentioned with no attempt to have it blend in or hide in plain sight.)

Hopefully that gives some better context!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom