News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Wendy Pleakley

My 2 cents as posted elsewhere:

They are trying to depict luxury in Star Wars, something you NEVER see in the OT, and only quickly glimpse in the other films. The HEROES of Star Wars are never seeking luxury. You don't want to be one of the rich villains, do you? They need to wear-and-tear the whole ship down. Grunge it up.

Or have the place be fancy, but treat guests like they're 3rd class passengers on the Titanic. You can see a poster for the nightclub, but you can't go to it because you're too poor! (ie. You don't have to be subjected to it any longer than you would in one of the SW movies.)

But darn it, that won't work, because you can only afford this experience if you are wealthy. I guess that makes you a Star Wars villain, then. Enjoy your twi'lek entertainment.

This is like setting out to build an Indiana Jones Resort, and having it all look like ritzy Club Obi Wan from Temple of Doom. I mean, yeah, it's canon, but I was expecting a lot more caves, jeeps and skeletons, and less art deco & dancing girls.

There could be ways to include both aesthetics, depending on space restrictions.

Maybe the inner most areas look like an old rust bucket but some areas are spruced up to trick the First Order into thinking it's a luxury cruise ship, hiding its' true status as a scrappy Resistance ship. Guests discover these parts of the ship as the story unfolds.

That could be more interesting from a storytelling standpoint as well. My worry is that the story they appear to be telling is a bit by the numbers.

It also lets guests choose their role. They can just be a regular cruise guest who gets caught up and watches the story more passively, or go full role play as a Resistance member.

Magic Feather

There could be ways to include both aesthetics, depending on space restrictions.

Maybe the inner most areas look like an old rust bucket but some areas are spruced up to trick the First Order into thinking it's a luxury cruise ship, hiding its' true status as a scrappy Resistance ship. Guests discover these parts of the ship as the story unfolds.

That could be more interesting from a storytelling standpoint as well. My worry is that the story they appear to be telling is a bit by the numbers.

It also lets guests choose their role. They can just be a regular cruise guest who gets caught up and watches the story more passively, or go full role play as a Resistance member.
Cough Engine Room Cough

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, I know. I'm saying they should change the story from star cruiser to ore miner and it would feel more Star Warsy.

How does this improve the story? How does this even fit better? No one is a stowaway... you didn't enter this place on a mission before you got there, etc.

This is 'taking a tool and misapplying it'. Just because Lucas used the grunge as a method to make Star Wars look lived in and believable doesn't mean everything is meant to be that way.

You say the Heros weren't seeking luxury? Large parts of the 'heros' are senators, governors, blue bloods, etc. Don't mistake Luke's diamond in the rough tale as a blanket description of everyone.

rreading

I'm going to be honest. That video they just released is the worst thing I have ever seen in regards to an actually constructed theme park concept. I am truly speechless.
🤷‍♂️ Didn't look bad to me. I hope that they do a good enough job for me to be interested, but right now we're just seeing the framework. The actual experience may be as flat as it appears in the Josh video, but describing how a LARP (which is not necessarily my thing) is exciting to someone who has never done it would seem to be a difficult job. I don't really care that much, but I do hope they do a good job with this and still think it possible.

Minthorne

It's confirmed, Only Kronk pulls the lever.

1638217422947.png

Casper Gutman

People are talking about this as a LARP, which seems correct to some extent, but it also doesn’t seem particularly accurate. It seems like it will be more akin to a normal cruise, with guests rotated through preplanned, tightly scheduled events - which, yes, is role playing in the sense that you are pretending to be IN SPACE!!! but not in the more traditional sense that you are a clearly defined character (not just Cruise Ship Guest 272) interacting in an adventure in which your choices dramatically effect the narrative. To the extent that that kind of role playing is present, it seems to be only about an hour of the experience scattered over one and a half days.

I think pretending this will have very much in common with a traditional LARP attended by a few dozen dedicated enthusiasts is silly.

Skywise

Another missed opportunity that occurs to me is that there are no "shuttles flying" around this spaceport. The resort isn't "the resort" it's just the starport where you get onto the shuttle to board the Hyperion and it'd be really cool to see your fellow cruise passengers departing or arriving from the Halcyon as you unload your car! With some forced perspectives and a large drone I bet they could've worked up a shuttle departing and arriving during the day. Maybe even using a fixed cable that would travel between the resort and the park. (Certainly the park could use some flying ships around it as well)

Casper Gutman

How can that be projected accurately at this point?
Based on what has been shown in multiple PR video presentations, the example itinerary that was released, lots and lots of official text, and a logical assessment of how this will all work based on what we know about capacity, attendance, length, etc.

Are you opposed to making informed predictions about all future events, or just WDW?

durangojim

My 2 cents as posted elsewhere:

They are trying to depict luxury in Star Wars, something you NEVER see in the OT, and only quickly glimpse in the other films. The HEROES of Star Wars are never seeking luxury. You don't want to be one of the rich villains, do you? They need to wear-and-tear the whole ship down. Grunge it up.

Or have the place be fancy, but treat guests like they're 3rd class passengers on the Titanic. You can see a poster for the nightclub, but you can't go to it because you're too poor! (ie. You don't have to be subjected to it any longer than you would in one of the SW movies.)

But darn it, that won't work, because you can only afford this experience if you are wealthy. I guess that makes you a Star Wars villain, then. Enjoy your twi'lek entertainment.

This is like setting out to build an Indiana Jones Resort, and having it all look like ritzy Club Obi Wan from Temple of Doom. I mean, yeah, it's canon, but I was expecting a lot more caves, jeeps and skeletons, and less art deco & dancing girls.
Eh, the riff raft can go fly on Star Tours. They take anyone.

Casper Gutman

It's not the outside of a "hotel."
It's the outside of a check in terminal for a space shuttle that takes you to the Halcyon.
I don’t think the exterior appearance is a big deal, but it doesn’t particularly look like a shuttle port, either. It seems to look primarily like a concrete bunker. Perhaps they could have had a shuttle sitting near the entrance?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
People are talking about this as a LARP, which seems correct to some extent, but it also doesn’t seem particularly accurate. It seems like it will be more akin to a normal cruise, with guests rotated through preplanned, tightly scheduled events - which, yes, is role playing in the sense that you are pretending to be IN SPACE!!! but not in the more traditional sense that you are a clearly defined character (not just Cruise Ship Guest 272) interacting in an adventure in which your choices dramatically effect the narrative. To the extent that that kind of role playing is present, it seems to be only about an hour of the experience scattered over one and a half days.

I think pretending this will have very much in common with a traditional LARP attended by a few dozen dedicated enthusiasts is silly.
Large scale LARPs have designated 'events' that move the plot along to which most participants (who want to be involved) will attend. In-game, that's the ship's itinerary. We've already been given the spoiler that the event of bridge-training leads to an actual battle. Which will probably lead to a special guest showing up.

But all the info coming from Disney about this also keeps saying over and over that there will be opportunities to interact with Cast Members (who truly are a 'cast' in the proper sense of the word) whose outcomes depend on the player.

Then there are self-guided tasks to do that will be guided by one's own 'data pad.'

There there are guests interacting with one another in character.

When the itinerary was shown, people with no clue over what a LARP is, decided that "everything is tightly scheduled and there is no room for the role-playing that we were promised!!" That was a very wrong presumption. And they seem to refuse to let updated information correct them on their wrong presumption.

But people around here don't let a mere presumption with no evidence stop them from lashing into Disney for... reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom