News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TrojanUSC

I can obviously only speak for myself, but it's a matter of attention for me. The transitions and sight lines used to be an important part of Disney Parks design. (Heck, it was even part of my Traditions training way back when.). And they passed on a number of projects and project designs because of that. With that, there is also a point at which you can only do so much. Disneyland was masterful at doing this through most of it's time as did original Epcot Center, I would argue. But both had views where it wasn't practical like the skyway and monorails.

But, today, it feels like they just don't care much at all. And, all too often, they are designing things as if they are only viewed from one angle. The "full view" or wide and close up shots have really been lost, presumably because people don't care. Though I would argue, as has been proven with much design especially in hospitality, people often don't know why they perceive quality and attention to detail consciously but they still do.

As a non Disney example, several of the new things feel like that house with the immaculate facade - which you then see is just siding and basic windows on the other three sides. Fine if it's up a hill. But they are now doing that on a corner lot where seeing the side view is guaranteed.

And to your examples, I actually agree with both Alice and Skyliner. They planted trees and put in space to transition from TL to FL, ala the original design. And seeing the peaks of the countries (most of which are finished in all angles, at least at the top) is part of the fun. Where I have an issue is the flat facades of Remy with the very clear show building and supports visible both on the Skyliner and within Epcot. Especially since that was placed where it was for Skyliner purposes. That's where it feels cheap and poor show. (And for SW, my assumption was if you see the unthemed hotel building driving up as the original poster mentioned with no attempt to have it blend in or hide in plain sight.)

Hopefully that gives some better context!

Yep, I used to give backstage tours and guests would be SHOCKED that Splash Mountain wasn't in the actual mountain or the Haunted Mansion wasn't in the mansion. Truly was mind-blowing to them. Even DAK did a great job - the DINOSAUR show building is masterfully hidden. Somehow they just gave up on this. TRON could be so much better if they designed a unique piece of architecture (like its earlier cousin Space Mountain) instead of a big blue box.

Cesar R M

I don’t think the exterior appearance is a big deal, but it doesn’t particularly look like a shuttle port, either. It seems to look primarily like a concrete bunker. Perhaps they could have had a shuttle sitting near the entrance?
and a fake control tower would do wonders XD

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep, I used to give backstage tours and guests would be SHOCKED that Splash Mountain wasn't in the actual mountain or the Haunted Mansion wasn't in the mansion. Truly was mind-blowing to them. Even DAK did a great job - the DINOSAUR show building is masterfully hidden. Somehow they just gave up on this. TRON could be so much better if they designed a unique piece of architecture (like its earlier cousin Space Mountain) instead of a big blue box.
But… it’s a painted big blue box. Isn’t that good enough? Oh wait, that’s what today’s Disney strives for.

corran horn

I can obviously only speak for myself, but it's a matter of attention for me. The transitions and sight lines used to be an important part of Disney Parks design. (Heck, it was even part of my Traditions training way back when.). And they passed on a number of projects and project designs because of that. With that, there is also a point at which you can only do so much. Disneyland was masterful at doing this through most of it's time as did original Epcot Center, I would argue. But both had views where it wasn't practical like the skyway and monorails.

But, today, it feels like they just don't care much at all. And, all too often, they are designing things as if they are only viewed from one angle. The "full view" or wide and close up shots have really been lost, presumably because people don't care. Though I would argue, as has been proven with much design especially in hospitality, people often don't know why they perceive quality and attention to detail consciously but they still do.

As a non Disney example, several of the new things feel like that house with the immaculate facade - which you then see is just siding and basic windows on the other three sides. Fine if it's up a hill. But they are now doing that on a corner lot where seeing the side view is guaranteed.

And to your examples, I actually agree with both Alice and Skyliner. They planted trees and put in space to transition from TL to FL, ala the original design. And seeing the peaks of the countries (most of which are finished in all angles, at least at the top) is part of the fun. Where I have an issue is the flat facades of Remy with the very clear show building and supports visible both on the Skyliner and within Epcot. Especially since that was placed where it was for Skyliner purposes. That's where it feels cheap and poor show. (And for SW, my assumption was if you see the unthemed hotel building driving up as the original poster mentioned with no attempt to have it blend in or hide in plain sight.)

Hopefully that gives some better context!

I agree with you. But the Skyway was also a thing for decades at both parks.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with you. But the Skyway was also a thing for decades at both parks.

That's a very valid point. It's definitely an art vs. a science. It comes down to cost vs. experience vs. physical reality. You could enclose the skyway (defeating the purpose of it - physical reality). You could theme every rooftop (not necessarily the best use of funds for a minor attraction - cost and experience balance). Similarly, you have rooms in hotels that overlook roof tops or parking lots.

However, Disney used to look for ways to camouflage where they could. This was before the crazy cost overruns. I would also note many of the attractions people cite like skyway and monorail were built at the BEGINNING of Walt Disney World. Ticket prices and expense are much, much, much higher now. So, there is a valid argument they should be doing BETTER now given the capital. (Yes, I know it's a business... but that is a corporate argument, not a quality argument.)

The best example of this is the Skyliner. Previous Disney would have ensured the Skyliner didn't impede on the vista view of WS from Showcase Plaza (Stargates notwithstanding). That doesn't mean bury the Skyliner. Rather look at available trees so it would be covered in time. Similarly, they would have themed the side of Rat coming in to look like buildings and start to build the fantasy. If you recall, the facades facing International Gateway were themed. Not as detailed as the rest of the pavilion, but still themed. They weren't just painted green.

Again, you are absolutely correct it's a balance. I would simply argue they've taken it way too far to the negative side and seem to be getting worse - not better.

Incomudro

Does the approach and entrance look like a spaceport? It would be part of the experience to give the impression of approaching and entering a spaceport. The facade design and, yes, a prop or two would do it as well as screening off the earthly building.
Well, the approach does look like a terminal for a flight or cruise.
I really don't have a problem with what they did here in that regard.
More could have been done though, and a Disney of 'yore probably would have provided more to build the anticipation.
I'm wondering if once inside there is some simulation of a view (screens) that shows your shuttle?
Or do you never see a rendition of the outside, and merely walk through a doorway to the inside?
From the way things seem to be going here, I'm betting it's the second one.

JoeCamel

Well, the approach does look like a terminal for a flight or cruise.
I really don't have a problem with what they did here in that regard.
More could have been done though, and a Disney of 'yore probably would have provided more to build the anticipation.
I'm wondering if once inside there is some simulation of a view (screens) that shows your shuttle?
Or do you never see a rendition of the outside, and merely walk through a doorway to the inside?
From the way things seem to be going here, I'm betting it's the second one.
The burning question will be what the gate guard's uniform will be....
Could set the tone for the entire cruise

corran horn

The burning question will be what the gate guard's uniform will be....
Could set the tone for the entire cruise

I actually was wondering if they'll have somebody valet your car. I assume so. To do otherwise would truly fracture the immersion.

(unless to get there at all you arrive by some special transportation yet-to-be revealed)

LovePop

Not defending it, but that concept art was supposed to be showing the inside of the transport vehicle, not a hallway.
I get that it isn't the hallway, but I took the picture to mean that the hallway of the hotel would be similarly decorated like any space ship I've seen, say in the Falcon or Death Star, not just a plain white ceiling with nearly nothing on the walls. All in all, I have to say that for $3K per night, I was imagining more than what they are showing here.

Skywise

I get that it isn't the hallway, but I took the picture to mean that the hallway of the hotel would be similarly decorated like any space ship I've seen, say in the Falcon or Death Star, not just a plain white ceiling with nearly nothing on the walls. All in all, I have to say that for $3K per night, I was imagining more than what they are showing here.
Cruise ship hallways aren't that much different are they?

They may have also been constrained by building codes (though I think those could've been easily worked around)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom