News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Of course there are some things that this won't tell us...

1635528507906.png

For example, when they started with the big bucks people, for all we know the highest tier suites could be filled up to the end of June, but if the regular staterooms aren't all booked, all we see is that the date is available.

Conversely, if all the regular staterooms are all booked to the end of June, but the even more expensive suites are still available, all we see is that the date is available.

What we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.

UNCgolf

Average $5,500 per room per 'cruise.'

100 rooms per cruise.

Sixty-nine full 'cruises' so far.

$19 Million in revenue.

And that's not counting all the partially booked days so far...

A fully booked year would be: $100 million. Not counting the merch.

Which is almost certainly the reason they've priced it this way. Even if they have trouble filling the rooms in 2-3 years (which I'm expecting, but who knows) they'll probably have already come close to recouping what they spent to build it. And then they can lower the price to keep it fully booked and still make money.

mergatroid

And April is filled. The site won't show March nor April anymore.

View attachment 596735
"But nobody is interested in it", "It's going to be a complete failure", "Who'll book a hotel without a swimming pool" etc, etc :D

And I'm not even bothered about going myself so don't even have a dog in the fight (I'm not into animal cruelty by the way, in fact I'd happily castrate anyone caught dog-fighting and it's just a saying). I do struggle understanding the hatred and desire for this to seemingly fail by many on here though? For me personally this does nothing to affect me if I choose not to go. It's not really using valuable real estate, doesn't take anything away from me and if successful could even encourage more money being invested into the parks.

bubbles1812

"But nobody is interested in it", "It's going to be a complete failure", "Who'll book a hotel without a swimming pool" etc, etc :D

And I'm not even bothered about going myself so don't even have a dog in the fight (I'm not into animal cruelty by the way, in fact I'd happily castrate anyone caught dog-fighting and it's just a saying). I do struggle understanding the hatred and desire for this to seemingly fail by many on here though? For me personally this does nothing to affect me if I choose not to go. It's not really using valuable real estate, doesn't take anything away from me and if successful could even encourage more money being invested into the parks.
Granted, I haven’t posted in a while and didn’t read this whole thread but your note about the swimming pool made me laugh… When booking today, that wasn’t even a thought in my head. I do not care about the presence of a pool during a two night hotel stay.

And as for people not being interested… my father was last at Disney in 2001. When I mentioned this, it was the first time he’d shown interest in coming on our every 18-24 month trips since… 2001.

Now, I doubt I’ll do this again, or at least for many years, but I’m excited to try it at least once.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Granted, I haven’t posted in a while and didn’t read this whole thread but your note about the swimming pool made me laugh… When booking today, that wasn’t even a thought in my head. I do not care about the presence of a pool during a two night hotel stay.

And as for people not being interested… my father was last at Disney in 2001. When I mentioned this, it was the first time he’d shown interest in coming on our every 18-24 month trips since… 2001.

Now, I doubt I’ll do this again, or at least for many years, but I’m excited to try it at least once.
Well today alone somebody says they and their friend are Star Wars fans and don't 'feel this' and equate that to mean Star Wars fans probably aren't interested because they're not. They're perfectly entitled to hold that view but it seems bizarre to use your own personal 'judgement' (of something you've absolutely no experience of as it isn't even open yet) to measure the success of something. As I mentioned earlier, this very thread contains numerous examples of those interested in going (including your dad) and yet this is discounted in measuring the success of this 'hotel' by the same people. Note I'm not using initial interest to guarantee success, just pointing out that we don't know either way yet so should hold fire. However the poster gleefully predicting that it will never be fully booked beyond it's first month has already been proven wrong after making a long post about why their prediction meant it would fail.

When it's open if those visiting report back favourably about it, perhaps we'll be told that their opinion doesn't count and they're lying about their experience? If booking rates remain high after opening day and reports, perhaps the goal posts will be moved again and we'll be told it only works as there's only a small capacity and most proper Star Wars fans don't go therefore making it a failure? Again it's not for me unless I win the lottery and even then I'd look forward more to a 2 week stay in a Contemporary Suite than the 2 day stay in the Starcruiser which I'd do out of curiosity more than anything.

Last edited:

Lirael

I do struggle understanding the hatred and desire for this to seemingly fail by many on here though? For me personally this does nothing to affect me if I choose not to go. It's not really using valuable real estate, doesn't take anything away from me and if successful could even encourage more money being invested into the parks.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I do believe the majority of the hatred is not for the endeavor itself, but the value: aka, the price + what you get for it. People feel the price is too much for what they're offering.

And why this results in wishes that it fails? Because if it succeeds, it'll show Disney yet again that they can scam the living daylights out of their guests, putting prices way up high while not offering something on par with it, and people will still excitedly pay for it.

People want it to fail so that disney will either a) pull the price down to something reasonable or b) start offering something better for that price.

I doubt anyone hates the idea of disney being innovative, even if said innovation isn't their cup of tea. The issue, as always, seems to be the daylight robbery.

lentesta

Premium Member
My understanding is that the long wait times to book are because there are four non-connected computer systems that need to be updated for each Starcruiser reservation. Because they're not connected, you have to re-enter everyone's information in each, possibly along with some other information from the previous systems.

When I booked, the phone lines opened at 7 a.m. I was connected to an agent at 10 a.m. who said I was their second call of the day.

corran horn

Which is almost certainly the reason they've priced it this way. Even if they have trouble filling the rooms in 2-3 years (which I'm expecting, but who knows) they'll probably have already come close to recouping what they spent to build it. And then they can lower the price to keep it fully booked and still make money.
By then I'll have my model of the ship and my onboard photo and my picture of a towel folded like a droid or whatever so I won't care if it turns to dust!

(and I suppose my kids will have some nice memories, blaa blaa blaa)

JoeCamel

My understanding is that the long wait times to book are because there are four non-connected computer systems that need to be updated for each Starcruiser reservation. Because they're not connected, you have to re-enter everyone's information in each, possibly along with some other information from the previous systems.

When I booked, the phone lines opened at 7 a.m. I was connected to an agent at 10 a.m. who said I was their second call of the day.
Gee, you would think they knew this was coming and built some "synergy" into the system to be ready for it?
Guess no one told reservations to do some planning.

mergatroid

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do believe the majority of the hatred is not for the endeavor itself, but the value: aka, the price + what you get for it. People feel the price is too much for what they're offering.

And why this results in wishes that it fails? Because if it succeeds, it'll show Disney yet again that they can scam the living daylights out of their guests, putting prices way up high while not offering something on par with it, and people will still excitedly pay for it.

People want it to fail so that disney will either a) pull the price down to something reasonable or b) start offering something better for that price.

I doubt anyone hates the idea of disney being innovative, even if said innovation isn't their cup of tea. The issue, as always, seems to be the daylight robbery.
For some you're probably right. Just throughout the thread it's full of posts of doom. There's a reason for some of it, however there's also a general attitude by a minority to just trash anything without knowing much about it.

bubbles1812

But can we really know if the price is too much for what they are offering? No one has experienced it. It’s effectively a deluxe tier all inclusive for two days with planned and unplanned fun activities.

I get that it’s frustrating that this may be out of many peoples’ price points (and I am thankful I earn in a range that this does not break my bank and that other family members will split the bill with me), depending on the number of family members, but I’m not sold that this is dramatically outside the realm of “normal Disney expensive.”

For my family, choosing to do this means shortening our usual weeklong trip by a couple days but none of us were shocked by the price tag when they first announced it. We just had to decide what was important to us this trip and plan accordingly.

(I’d also argue there is no scam here. I read all the information about what is being offered. I accepted the price. I think the majority of people signing up for it are going in with eyes wide open. I’ll of course be able to give a better opinion after Sept 11th, 2022, but at this point, I do not feel upset about my choices. I guess they haven’t pushed me to my ‘no more’ point, but I understand there are those who have reached that limit.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom