News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

corran horn

The pricing model was a complete cash grab / exploitation of the rabid fans.

This can be said of every Disney park entertainment offering.

I think the demand waning may accelerate the need for a new story. A good amount of people in the “niche within a niche”, would do it again if the story changed. Granted some of those people have already been several times

We'd go again with more immediacy if they changed the story. If they don't we might go again with five years.

GimpYancIent

This can be said of every Disney park entertainment offering.

We'd go again with more immediacy if they changed the story. If they don't we might go again with five years.
Question - Would you go if the price per cabin (regardless if one occupant or 4 occupants) was what is being currently charged per person? Would it be easier and simpler arriving and departing if the valet parking was done away with? Just asking.

MagicHappens1971

Question - Would you go if the price per cabin (regardless if one occupant or 4 occupants) was what is being currently charged per person? Would it be easier and simpler arriving and departing if the valet parking was done away with? Just asking.
The valet parking won’t go away, it’s part of the arrival/departure process. There’s also no way to walk to the terminal

corran horn

I mean I certainly wouldn't mind it being cheaper if the experience were the same. I'd be dumb not to. I would say that, unlike many things, the value was there on 'the stage' to be seen rather than being priced-up just because they could. That's relative though. Some people feel different.

We cab'd from Boardwalk as we got in a day early (ended up being Cosmic Rewind opening day and we did that) so I didn't care about the arrival/parking situation.

MagicHappens1971

There always a way and processes (Disney has demonstrated it many times) can be modified / changed or done away with.
With this, I’d argue there isn’t. They would literally be forced to see the big grey box that is the Starcruiser if there was a walking path to the terminal. There’s also no reason to do it. Plus it would make the check in process even more hectic as they hold vehicles until they get more free cast to do the next check in

Wendy Pleakley

I'll grant you the first, but this is arguably the most creative, imaginative shot they've taken in decades.

This is something I've said. It's great to see Disney producing something that is unique, not found anywhere else, and something only they could create.

However, they've made something for a tiny subset of their customer base. They'll make money, but it's not any sort of draw for the general public. It's not going to reach enough people who will want to come back because of something unique they experienced.

That's why I continue to think shuttering something like the Adventurer's Club was short sighted. That was something that made me feel that going to WDW is going to provide super unique experiences I never see in the real world. It's a little-ish thing that makes we want to return, and want to stay longer because there's cool thing(s) beyond just doing the theme parks for four days.

So, I'd love to see them continue to develop this sort of themed experience, but make it broader. Offer a scaled down equivalent where people could pay for a Star Wars experience lasting a few hours or something.

corran horn

Is anything less than completely sold out “sputtering?“
I wonder what their balance sheet for this looks like. They're certainly not paying the talent involved what they're worth to the experience. There were certainly some tech development and construction costs as well. They have to be making money hand over fist.

_caleb

I wonder what their balance sheet for this looks like. They're certainly not paying the talent involved what they're worth to the experience. There were certainly some tech development and construction costs as well. They have to be making money hand over fist.
Obviously, we’ll never really know. But I agree. They’ve already made a lot of money, and this will continue for a while even if they have to lower the price (hopefully they don’t cut services/actors).

I also imagine they have a plan to add storylines/missions to add to the replay value. The Halcyon could easily fit into any era of the Star Wars universe. (And yes, I know this is what they said about SW:GE, too).

GimpYancIent

With the current pricing model yes, the guests are being fleeced thoroughly. Absolutely any success for this project is due to the performance of the CM's, they deserve bonuses.

UNCgolf

I also imagine they have a plan to add storylines/missions to add to the replay value. The Halcyon could easily fit into any era of the Star Wars universe. (And yes, I know this is what they said about SW:GE, too).

While I think they'll have to change the storyline eventually (unless they overhaul the whole experience into something else), I imagine they'll keep this one going until the last possible moment. It will be quite costly to set up an entirely new story.

_caleb

While I think they'll have to change the storyline eventually (unless they overhaul the whole experience into something else), I imagine they'll keep this one going until the last possible moment. It will be quite costly to set up an entirely new story.
I agree. While it would cost a lot if the new story were to require extensive reprogramming, their current approach does have a lot of flexibility built-in.

The “easiest” (from the perspective of my sofa) way for them to change it up a bit would be to invent in-world “holidays” to celebrate—like the Wookies’ ”Life Day” The story could remain the same, but with banners/decorations/special food for the holiday.

UNCgolf

I agree. While it would cost a lot if the new story were to require extensive reprogramming, their current approach does have a lot of flexibility built-in.

The “easiest” (from the perspective of my sofa) way for them to change it up a bit would be to invent in-world “holidays” to celebrate—like the Wookies’ ”Life Day” The story could remain the same, but with banners/decorations/special food for the holiday.

That would definitely be the easiest/cheapest thing to do, but I'm not sure that would be enough to attract repeat guests due to the price point. Feels like there aren't many people who'd be willing to pay an additional $5k to go again just for some decorations/special food.

Disstevefan1

If they do not create a Life Day overlay with a script change for the holiday season, they are just being stupid and lazy.

corran horn

If they do not create a Life Day overlay with a script change for the holiday season, they are just being stupid and lazy.
They already didn't do it.

I spent some time thinking about what would truly need to change. They belabor the point in other media of the ship being so old, etc. Anakin/Padme and Han/Leia visiting, etc.

There's certainly some ship renderings (TIE fighters specifically) that might need to be changed, and various little things (without spoiling) on the ship that might require physical changes just to modify the story (heist stuff) but none of it seems unchangeable.

They could also change the story and keep it in the timeline where it is. (which would at least be consistent with Battu East, which is absent Boba Fett)

If I had to guess, even if they were to change it, they'd wait a few years to extract maximum value from the story as-is.

GimpYancIent

They already didn't do it.

I spent some time thinking about what would truly need to change. They belabor the point in other media of the ship being so old, etc. Anakin/Padme and Han/Leia visiting, etc.

There's certainly some ship renderings (TIE fighters specifically) that might need to be changed, and various little things (without spoiling) on the ship that might require physical changes just to modify the story (heist stuff) but none of it seems unchangeable.

They could also change the story and keep it in the timeline where it is. (which would at least be consistent with Battu East, which is absent Boba Fett)

If I had to guess, even if they were to change it, they'd wait a few years to extract maximum value from the story as-is.
I believe you are being generous giving as-is "a few years".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom