News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

celluloid

I think those scheduled activities were for the in-story cruise itinerary. More like an ostensible reason to get ”passengers” to the right places on the ship so they can observe different scenes of the story unfolding.

So the 3:30PM ”dance lessons” are “real” in that they really happen, but Disney doesn’t put a whole lot of effort into them because they don’t want to compete with the actors acting out story beats all around the atrium during the ”lesson.”

EDIT TO ADD: Check out this video of the TERRIBLE ”dance lessons,” but listen to the audio at around the 1 minute mark. Sounds like a Stormtrooper saying something story-related to me:

I think you are reaching because that is what I wish happened too. It is probably the intent somewhere in the Entertainment department but does not come across that way.

That Dance lesson could have been a two-minute thing as other important things start to interrupt and change the goal with acticity people becoming more concerned by the presence of Storm Troopers. I think this is just a thing to fill the area while other members of the family go sit at the bar.

_caleb

I think you are reaching because that is what I wish happened too. It is probably the intent somewhere in the Entertainment department but does not come across that way.

That Dance lesson could have been a two-minute thing as other important things start to interrupt and change the goal with acticity people becoming more concerned by the presence of Storm Troopers. I think this is just a thing to fill the area while other members of the family go sit at the bar.
Obviously some people are actually into the dance lessons.

But even the “Lightsaber training” is actually just an in-story activity that really only serves as an excuse for a story beat:

_caleb

But...here me out here, what if you make the activity also elaborate and exciting in itself?
Yeah, I totally get that. But I honestly think they don’t want the “itinerary activity” to overshadow the story moments. They don’t want someone saying, “I wish they hadn’t interrupted my AMAZING dance lesson with a scripted moment!”

I’m telling you- “be down at the Atrium for space basket weaving” is just a way to get people to intercept actors acting out a story moment at the elevators (see the 18:50 mark of the video I shared above for another example).

_caleb

Also, they don’t want all 100-rooms worth of guests crowding around each of the secret spy interactions. The activities are a great diversion to keep those interactions more intimate and special. They’re also to make it so guests have to interact with one another to get different threads of the story.

Which makes it even more fun because: “some random guy in cargo shorts just told me that the green alien guy pulled him aside and told him that the blue captain lady is actually a Sith Lord ad we should lock her in a closet but I don’t know if I should believe him”

celluloid

Yeah, I totally get that. But I honestly think they don’t want the “itinerary activity” to overshadow the story moments. They don’t want someone saying, “I wish they hadn’t interrupted my AMAZING dance lesson with a scripted moment!”

I’m telling you- “be down at the Atrium for space basket weaving” is just a way to get people to intercept actors acting out a story moment at the elevators (see the 18:50 mark of the video I shared above for another example).

It can be impressive and further impressive as story interruption. It can still remain a dance lesson or activity while having character interaction. It does not have to be a can't miss story element that stops what you were doing completely either.

It can be integrated as a part of it. Even if it was just someone from the first order attempting to participate and the host calling them out. Some bickering and some references to side missions or just good character improv.

Disney used to know this through Adventurer's Club.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m still interested and see what kinds feedback comes in next week…and then 3 months after…then 6

You’d expect the level of positive reviews to fall…but not too much is the goal.

I also hope Disney is committed to change. This will require adjustment and reinvention or it will be at 40% capacity before too long.

They haven’t been good at that since the Bobs were appointed dictators. They just double down and increase prices for everything.

_caleb

It can be impressive and further impressive as story interruption. It can still remain a dance lesson or activity while having character interaction. It does not have to be a can't miss story element that stops what you were doing completely either.

It can be integrated as a part of it. Even if it was just someone from the first order attempting to participate and the host calling them out. Some bickering and some references to side missions or just good character improv.

Disney used to know this through Adventurer's Club.
I think they’re going for a more layered and piecemeal storyline to add to the immersion. You’re right, they could have actual dance lessons and really cool arts and crafts, but I think they just want to keep people halfway engaged so they don’t miss out on the story stuff. Don’t forget, some guests are “recruited“ to work for the ”good guys,” but others are tricked into doing little side missions (like spreading disinformation among guests) for the First Order (probably while thinking they’re working for the rebels).

Again, I don’t think the dance lessons are real. I think they’re an activity passengers can do for “cover” while they’re doing their “side missions.”

Lil Copter Cap

I’m still interested and see what kinds feedback comes in next week…and then 3 months after…then 6

You’d expect the level of positive reviews to fall…but not too much is the goal.

I also hope Disney is committed to change. This will require adjustment and reinvention or it will be at 40% capacity before too long.

They haven’t been good at that since the Bobs were appointed dictators. They just double down and increase prices for everything.
VERY interested in how paying guests rate this experience.

Going back a few pages, I think this is exactly why they created an elaborate backstory about the Halcyon being 275 years old. This expands its timeline into pretty much any Disney-created Star Wars era starting with the new High Republic books/comics they released.

At the press junket last week, a question was asked if guests aboard the Halcyon would celebrate holidays or have different storylines dependent on time of year. The WDI employees present seemed confused and mentioned, "Well, they could celebrate Life Day..."

I really do think this thing was budget cut to heck and what we see is what we get...until some greenlit reinvention is given...maybe...

EDIT: I do think that any reinvention won't be possible until they agree to break the timeline of Galaxy's Edge. I just remembered that SW:GE relives the same day, which is why the Batuu planet excursion happens at the same time every trip.

Further, this is why, currently, the story itself that plays out on the Halcyon does not have different endings. It's the same story that offers the guests choices to give the illusion of impacting the overall story.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

I think those scheduled activities were for the in-story cruise itinerary. More like an ostensible reason to get ”passengers” to the right places on the ship so they can observe different scenes of the story unfolding.

So the 3:30PM ”dance lessons” are “real” in that they really happen, but Disney doesn’t put a whole lot of effort into them because they don’t want to compete with the actors acting out story beats all around the atrium during the ”lesson.”

EDIT TO ADD: Check out this video of the TERRIBLE ”dance lessons,” but listen to the audio at around the 1 minute mark. Sounds like a Stormtrooper saying something story-related to me (also see Stormtroopers at the back of the room around 2m:20s):

Space Zumba?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As several main characters have ear pieces in, I wonder if there's a director sat somewhere watching screens and instructing them when to enter rooms or which guests have been asked to help earlier on etc? Now that would be a cool job.
Yeah, I'm wondering about the integration of the tech with the live encounters.

Several videos show people being contacted on their datapad by one of the GMs (Cast Members playing as NPC Game Masters) after running into them. Does that happen because:
1. The GM informs central control about the encounter and give the OK to give them a mission?​
2. The MagicBand tracking shows that the player spent some time near a GM, and then sends them a message if they're interested in 'helping out'?​
3. The players just get random contacts even if they didn't have an interaction with the GM?​
Whose willing to test this out by spending a few thousand bucks to just stay in your room to see what happens?

_caleb

Yeah, I'm wondering about the integration of the tech with the live encounters.

Several videos show people being contacted on their datapad by one of the GMs (Cast Members playing as NPC Game Masters) after running into them. Does that happen because:
1. The GM informs central control about the encounter and give the OK to give them a mission?​
2. The MagicBand tracking shows that the player spent some time near a GM, and then sends them a message if they're interested in 'helping out'?​
3. The players just get random contacts even if they didn't have an interaction with the GM?​
Whose willing to test this out by spending a few thousand bucks to just stay in your room to see what happens?
You may have seen this video, but here the actor is calling participants by name. He then, in an in-story sort of stroll down memory lane, mentions a handful of story beats and asked who was present for each of them. I think there’s a production team keeping track of guest interactions and story choices. So it would make sense that a guest receive a datapad message as a follow-up to an assignment by a character (“don’t forget! In our brief discussion by the elevators, I asked you to go to the engineering room and steal the tool other guests are using to flip switches and stuff“).

TP2000

One of the big talk radio stations here in SoCal (KNX 1070) just had a news break from CBS News national. After an update on Ukraine, the Star Wars theme song began and they did a quick story about the "new fully immersive Star Wars hotel opening at Disney World". In the approximately 30 second spot they explained it's a "sleek cruise ship in space, where Han Solo and Princess Leia spent their honeymoon", and then said that you "might be hassled by Stormtroopers in the lobby, or discover a transmission from Yoda, or meet any of your other favorite Star Wars friends" and then immediately there was a sound clip of Chewbacca roaring. They covered that the pricing "starts at $4,800 per couple for the two night cruise" and then ended the report.

Missing entirely from this snippet were any mentions of the following:
-Kylo Ren
-Gaya
-That Rey girl who wears the gauzy linen outfits
-Dance lessons, space bingo, or Sabacc tournaments
-Captain Kavan
-Batuu

As someone with a circa 1980 frame of reference for Star Wars, it was striking to me that this national CBS News report in 2022 used only references from the 1977 movie (plus Yoda) and completely ignored the newer characters that Disney forced into this Starcruiser concept. Take that how you will.

I just found it interesting, and more than a little comforting that I'm not the only one who is still scared of Darth Vader but couldn't give a crap about Kylo Ren. 🤣

sedati

What kills me with the lightsaber training aboard the Starcruiser is "Vader Immortal VR" did it better, and at a fraction of the cost, even if you're needing to buy a headset. Now I'm aware you can't directly compare a video game to real-life entertainment, but Disney should've figured out a way to do it better than something that could appear in a well-equipped arcade.

Vader's Dojo Side-game (there's the main story, all three parts together run for about 45 minutes and it feels like a theme park attraction, then there's the Dojo where you can test your lightsaber skills):

Vader Immortal is phenomenal and I’ve finished the dojo to max with both my right and left hands. Still play it now and then. Good exercise too.

Thanks KK!

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One of the big talk radio stations here in SoCal (KNX 1070) just had a news break from CBS News national. After an update on Ukraine, the Star Wars theme song began and they did a quick story about the "new fully immersive Star Wars hotel opening at Disney World". In the approximately 30 second spot they explained it's a "sleek cruise ship in space, where Han Solo and Princess Leia spent their honeymoon", and then said that you "might be hassled by Stormtroopers in the lobby, or discover a transmission from Yoda, or meet any of your other favorite Star Wars friends" and then immediately there was a sound clip of Chewbacca roaring. They covered that the pricing "starts at $4,800 per couple for the two night cruise" and then ended the report.

-Kylo Ren
-Gaya
-Captain Kavan
-Batuu

As someone with a circa 1980 frame of reference for Star Wars, it was striking to me that this national CBS News report in 2022 used only references from the 1977 movie (plus Yoda) and completely ignored the newer characters that Disney forced into this Starcruiser concept. Take that how you will.

I just found it interesting, and more than a little comforting that I'm not the only one who is still scared of Darth Vader but couldn't give a crap about Kylo Ren. 🤣
Interesting that they only mention the popular characters, huh?

And it probably was sent straight from Burbank.

The more people deny where the franchise is…the more sad it becomes

TP2000

Interesting that they only mention the popular characters, huh?

And it probably was sent straight from Burbank.

The more people deny where the franchise is…the more sad it becomes

Yes. To be fair, this was from a CBS Radio affiliate, and the entire news segment was filed by "CBS News". I imagine the entire segment, from the Ukraine news to this "fun news" story, was created out of New York and then sent nationwide to affiliate stations to air.

If it was from ABC News, then I would be really worried. 🤔

But they only mentioned 1977 characters, and even had the original John Williams score playing in the background under the news reporters segment. They made such a dramatic point to mention that the Halcyon was the ship "where Han Solo and Princess Leia spent their honeymoon!". It could have been something Disney World was opening in 1979 for all we know. The news story was quite notable for the things/characters it never mentioned.

JoeCamel

-Kylo Ren
-Gaya
-Captain Kavan
-Batuu

Did they really say "hassled"?
So so-cal

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom