News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
8 million American families make over $250,000 a year, that’s their target demographic, and thats just in the USA, if this were a bigger hotel I’d absolutely agree but they only need to sell 300 packages a week, I don’t think they’ll have a problem keeping it near capacity for years.

I worked a couple years at our pool party and we had no problem selling out our 100 or so poolside cabanas every week, on a normal weekend they’d go for $5k-10k, on a holiday weekend they’d have $10k-25k minimums… they sold out every week and that was just for 8 hours of partying at a pool.
They would have to be receptive to Star Wars…so not that many would bother. It will work if it’s fantastic…nothing short of that.

mergatroid

For you folks that are going on your own dime,I’d love it if you could answer these questions when you come back:
Is everything nonstop or is there some down time?
Do you feel like you missed anything you’d like to have experienced because it wasn’t part of “your story”?
Did the experience get old after a while and you wished you could have taken a break and done something “off stage” for a while?
Did traveling to GE feel like it was part of the story or did it break the illusion and make you feel like you were in a theme park?
What do you wish was different?

Thanks!
Ok, this actually addresses your points. It's a comped visit but is very fair in it's assessment. Forget her opinions on whether she enjoyed it or not, just concentrate on her answers to your questions. The only ones she doesn't answer is the travel to GE. It's worth a watch just for the answers you seek rather than her judgements

Last edited:

uncloaking

Be careful what you wish for. All of this entertainment was originally planned to be in Galaxy’s Edge. It was then moved out to Starcruiser with an enormous price tag. Is that how you want the future of the parks to be?

I fear what we're watching is nothing more than a proof-of-concept / test-and-adjust for what will really be Disneyland Forward!

A boutique-sized exclusive mini-theme park where you can stay and roam at will 24/7.

What was the code name for all this again.....?

TP2000

Forgive me if this has already been discussed as this thread has become overwhelmingly long, but... Space Bingo?

WARNING: I will be critiquing the CM's training and management, not the actual perky undergrad at Valencia Junior College working part-time at WDW.

And yet again, the tone from these CM's is just... off. It's too casual, too chirpy and contemporary, too 2020's Carnival Cruise lounge activity on a rainy day. Was there any training whatsoever given to these CM's about playing a role that involved a luxury cruise ship in a Star Wars galaxy? Any training involving vocabulary and tone and phrasing? And are the managers supervising this thinking "Space Bingo! Yup, we really nailed it on this immersive adventure!"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I fear what we're watching is nothing more than a proof-of-concept / test-and-adjust for what will really be Disneyland Forward!

A boutique-sized exclusive mini-theme park where you can stay and roam at will 24/7.

What was the code name for all this again.....?
Project H.

But, for Hubble, not Halcyon.

FerretAfros

I'm not a fan of that either - but the difference there, of course, is that 1) Disneyland doesn't have the spatial opportunity to Master Plan this stuff the way they do at Walt Disney World, who could have been more strategic if they so chose, and 2) Guests pulling into the parking structures at Disneyland aren't on the approach for their $6,000+ two-night, dedicated Star Wars Extravaganza.

Under those circumstances it should be reasonable to expect more showmanship from Disney. Even simply rerouting the entrance along the other side of the Starcruiser building would have helped.
Disneyland also put in a little extra effort to help make the backside of the buildings a little more palatable. There are colored metal panels to break up the large expanses of building wall, and all the rock work extends to the building to help preserve the illusion somewhat. The addition rockwork is not nearly as detailed as the park-facing stuff, but it does a reasonably good job at concealing a backstage view. It’s not perfect by any means, but given how they had to squeeze the land into the park (which, this is one of the many arguments that it’s a poor fit for its location), it seems like a reasonable compromise. Here’s a look at it from during construction, before all the additional rockwork was completed, but the spires on the left show what’s possible with minimal effort:

https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F03%2F1-Galaxy-Edge-Feb-2019.jpg

Now compare that to the blank expanses of warehouses and floating rocks-on-sticks that greet guests on their way to the Starcruiser. Disneyland usually gets a little more leeway for these sorts of things, due to the limited physical space of the resort and the age of the existing infrastructure. WDW, on the other hand, has “the blessing of size,” and this is a new build for a premium experience, yet it still fares worse than the experience for the masses on the other coast.
Those outfits are terrible. Again…Star Trek 1 to save money. Not Star Wars at all
The outfits are definitely interesting to me, especially considering that the costumes for the Galaxy’s Edge cast members have far more style, texture, and options than anything else they’ve created in decades. Similar to the DL backside views, if the experience for average park-goers sets one standard, why doesn’t this premium experience at least meet that same standard, let alone raise the bar?

https:///wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Janina-Austria_1-630x473.jpg

brettf22

Premium Member
Be careful what you wish for. All of this entertainment was originally planned to be in Galaxy’s Edge. It was then moved out to Starcruiser with an enormous price tag. Is that how you want the future of the parks to be?
For me, this has to be the most discouraging part. I was hopeful that Disney would develop new techniques and technologies for the Starcruiser that would make their way to the parks. Based on what we’ve seen today, they’ve seem to done the exact opposite.

UNCgolf

8 million American families make over $250,000 a year, that’s their target demographic, and thats just in the USA, if this were a bigger hotel I’d absolutely agree but they only need to sell 300 packages a week, I don’t think they’ll have a problem keeping it near capacity for years.

I worked a couple years at our pool party and we had no problem selling out our 100 or so poolside cabanas every week, on a normal weekend they’d go for $5k-10k, on a holiday weekend they’d have $10k-25k minimums… they sold out every week and that was just for 8 hours of partying at a pool.

That's the thing, though. The number of people in that group who are interested in partying at a pool is significantly higher than the number of people who are interested in something like this (or even in theme parks in general).

It's much easier to sell poolside cabanas than an experience like this.

That doesn't mean I'm saying it's going to fail (from what I've seen, it likely won't), just that it has a relatively small potential customer base.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
After seeing a bunch of videos it looks great. It looks exactly like a MMLARP looks like. The integration of tech takes a huge burden off of the "gamemasters" (i.e., the CMs) to be giving out missions and checking if they've been done. There are a few things that could be polished up a bit.

If anyone was truly scared away by "poor and cringey" marketing, the videos posted here should allay any fears.

The big fault, tho, and the one keeping me away: the price.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That's the thing, though. The number of people in that group who are interested in partying at a pool is significantly higher than the number of people who are interested in something like this (or even in theme parks in general).

It's much easier to sell poolside cabanas than an experience like this.
Not if the cabanas were $3K/day.

UNCgolf

Not if the cabanas were $3K/day.

I disagree. For the general public, sure, but we're only talking about the wealthiest of the wealthiest here. It's much easier to sell a regular experience like that than tell them they're going to stay in this immersive environment for 2 nights if it's an environment they don't care about.

Anyways, my overall point is that it's faulty to take a set of the population and say, "See, there are this many people and they only need a tiny percentage of them!". That's true, but it's also meaningless because there are too many other factors involved. Only needing 1% of a population can still be impossible depending on what you're asking/expecting that 1% to do.

I have no idea what the actual potential customer base is for this, but there are multiple limiting factors. Price is by far the biggest, of course -- which is why I still think we will see the price drop relatively quickly (as in within a couple of years; not within a few months).

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Not sure if others have mentioned this: the set of actors playing the characters were different for the vloggers who had the abbreviated experience compared to those who had the two night cruise. It seemed that the actors on the two night cruise were the A team as they’re all the ones in the commercials.
Correct. And no actor can be there all time time. Right now is as good as it is going to get until a future refurbishment and rewrite.

After seeing a bunch of videos it looks great. It looks exactly like a MMLARP looks like. The integration of tech takes a huge burden off of the "gamemasters" (i.e., the CMs) to be giving out missions and checking if they've been done. There are a few things that could be polished up a bit.

If anyone was truly scared away by "poor and cringey" marketing, the videos posted here should allay any fears.

The big fault, tho, and the one keeping me away: the price.
And here is the proof positive that people have vastly different opinions. When I watch that Kylo Ren and Rey "fight", I find it so lackluster as to be embarrassing. You think it looks great. Different strokes for different folks. Disney just has to wonder how many folks will pay attention to the first round of "reviews" and plop down a huge chunk of change.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Correct. And no actor can be there all time time. Right now is as good as it is going to get until a future refurbishment and rewrite.

And here is the proof positive that people have vastly different opinions. When I watch that Kylo Ren and Rey "fight", I find it so lackluster as to be embarrassing. You think it looks great. Different strokes for different folks. Disney just has to wonder how many folks will pay attention to the first round of "reviews" and plop down a huge chunk of change.
There was a crowd cheering them on... so... it wasn't like it landed like a dud with the guests. I think the folks there knew that it was merely stage fighting and they know what they were getting.

None of the videos or reviews posted in this thread have thus far panned the battle.

The more-realistic light-saber reveal was cool tech (despite the switch-off being clunky). And the conveyor belt for a Force pull were great uses of tech. And the crowd appreciated it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom