News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

brettf22

Premium Member
This reminds me of a famous scene in the TV show "Westworld".
Where the creator of westworld (Anthony Hopkins) rejects the "imagineer with gigantic ego" story.
Because there is a big difference in shoving the story and forcing the person to follow that story. Or let the user develop his own version of the story based on certain minimal backstory, elements and interactivity.
I remember quoting that scene in a discussion on here, back when it first aired in 2016. Unfortunately, it seems to be even more relevant now:

"A couple of cheap thrills. Some surprises. It's not enough. It's not about giving the guests what you think they want. It's not that simple. Titillation, horror, elation: They're parlor tricks. The guests don't return for the obvious things we do, the garish things. They come back because of the subtleties, the details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before. Something they've fallen in love with. They're not looking for a story that tells them who they are. They already know who they are. They're here because they want a glimpse of who they could be. The only thing your story tells me, Mr. Sizemore, is who you are."

danv3

For example, last time I was on DCL... PALO upcharge costed only 15-20 USD per person.
It now costs like 45 USD and have limited selections. You no longer have unlimited a la carte food like you did before. Now you pay per dish if you go outside the "pre selected menu".

Specialty dining on cruises (not limited to DCL) is such a scam. You've already paid for dinner in your cruise fare and now they want an additional $45+ per person (plus 18% tip)? 😅 I rarely spend that much for a dinner out to begin with, let alone when I've already got a free (i.e., included) dinner sitting in front of me.

Cesar R M

Specialty dining on cruises (not limited to DCL) is such a scam. You've already paid for dinner in your cruise fare and now they want an additional $45+ per person (plus 18% tip)? 😅 I rarely spend that much for a dinner out to begin with, let alone when I've already got a free (i.e., included) dinner sitting in front of me.
Back then, PALO was definitively worth it. Now with almost all selections being paid Ala Carte.. def not worth it imho. But agree, plus the rotating menu is excellent. already on all Disney Ships.
And if I remember correctly, if you do not like the food of an specified theme restaurant, you can ask a selection from the OTHER restaurants.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
View attachment 623699
These two will come back with glowing reviews
Solid picture idea though!
So much potential here...
1645728133938.png

TrojanUSC

One other thing I’ve heard consistently is how bad the arrival visuals are. Not only are you basically driving around the backside of DHS/SWGE, as if you’re role playing as a DHS churro cart worker arriving for his shift, the entire concrete jail is visible on your arrival to the guard shack.

I thought at the very least they’d really build up the berm but the landscaping and obstruction of the show building seems to have been cut drastically.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
One other thing I’ve heard consistently is how bad the arrival visuals are. Not only are you basically driving around the backside of DHS/SWGE, as if you’re role playing as a DHS churro cart worker arriving for his shift, the entire concrete jail is visible on your arrival to the guard shack.

I thought at the very least they’d really build up the berm but the landscaping and obstruction of the show building seems to have been cut drastically.
Yes there is a real lack of trying to hide the warehouse. It is visible very clearly from World Drive, and you can see the box trucks docking for the Batuu transfer. And as you say, those actually going there take a backstage view of Galaxy's Edge and past the CM parking lot.

Incomudro

I remember quoting that scene in a discussion on here, back when it first aired in 2016. Unfortunately, it seems to be even more relevant now:

"A couple of cheap thrills. Some surprises. It's not enough. It's not about giving the guests what you think they want. It's not that simple. Titillation, horror, elation: They're parlor tricks. The guests don't return for the obvious things we do, the garish things. They come back because of the subtleties, the details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before. Something they've fallen in love with. They're not looking for a story that tells them who they are. They already know who they are. They're here because they want a glimpse of who they could be. The only thing your story tells me, Mr. Sizemore, is who you are."
Wow, that's a perfect summation.

durangojim

The more I see of this in totality the more I really wonder how the ball has been dropped so poorly. It seems like everything that has made Disney attractions amazing have been thrown out the window. I have no problem with using a cruise as the basis but they've gone in the opposite direction of what they've told us they were going to do.

I've gone on quite a few Disney Cruises, there's always excitement when you see the beauty of the ship as you're approaching the port and then boarding. Here, you see the warehouse you'll be staying in, and the concrete bunker where you'll be dropped off.

They told us this would be a luxury starcruiser. That makes me think it will have a beautiful lobby like the Dream or Fantasy, and the rooms will be thoughtfully laid out with nice amenities. Instead we get a room smaller than a value resort room with one small sink and bunk beds.
The restaurant was supposed to be amazing with great food. The food part sounds like it's the highlight but the ambience looks like a disco out of an 80s movie with a forgettable singer.
They showed us an amazing new lightsaber that extends. Then they told us we wouldn't get to use one as their for the talent only.
We're told and shown in concept art that we'd have lightsaber training. Instead we have colored flashlights shown at us while we wave regular sabers around.
Once again we're told we'll be immersed in our own story with trips to Batuu. We're shown that once we get to Batuu we're basically regular theme park attendees with fast passes and meal vouchers.

This whole thing makes me so sad, because the Disney I grew up with, which brought so much happiness and joy to me as a child and as a husband and father seems to finally be gone and focusing on things that I don't understand and my kids have little interest in.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The more I see of this in totality the more I really wonder how the ball has been dropped so poorly. It seems like everything that has made Disney attractions amazing have been thrown out the window. I have no problem with using a cruise as the basis but they've gone in the opposite direction of what they've told us they were going to do.

I've gone on quite a few Disney Cruises, there's always excitement when you see the beauty of the ship as you're approaching the port and then boarding. Here, you see the warehouse you'll be staying in, and the concrete bunker where you'll be dropped off.

They told us this would be a luxury starcruiser. That makes me think it will have a beautiful lobby like the Dream or Fantasy, and the rooms will be thoughtfully laid out with nice amenities. Instead we get a room smaller than a value resort room with one small sink and bunk beds.
The restaurant was supposed to be amazing with great food. The food part sounds like it's the highlight but the ambience looks like a disco out of an 80s movie with a forgettable singer.
They showed us an amazing new lightsaber that extends. Then they told us we wouldn't get to use one as their for the talent only.
We're told and shown in concept art that we'd have lightsaber training. Instead we have colored flashlights shown at us while we wave regular sabers around.
Once again we're told we'll be immersed in our own story with trips to Batuu. We're shown that once we get to Batuu we're basically regular theme park attendees with fast passes and meal vouchers.

This whole thing makes me so sad, because the Disney I grew up with, which brought so much happiness and joy to me as a child and has a husband and father seems to finally be gone and focusing on things that I don't understand and my kids have little interest in.
I'm not sure there is anyone there anymore who will say something is rubbish. After Walt, there appears to have still been individuals who would speak up. We have lots of documented cases where Eisner would see things and tell them flat out it wasn't good enough. It appears now, at least from the outside, that there is a huge amount of patting each other on the back and no real leadership to get things right even when it obvious to anyone that things are wrong.

Tha Realest

I'm not sure there is anyone there anymore who will say something is rubbish. After Walt, there appears to have still been individuals who would speak up. We have lots of documented cases where Eisner would see things and tell them flat out it wasn't good enough. It appears now, at least from the outside, that there is a huge amount of patting each other on the back and no real leadership to get things right even when it obvious to anyone that things are wrong.
They seem very pleased with themselves, and haven't considered the prospective audience and customers they serve (other than how to find more ways to upcharge)

TikibirdLand

Your drive up to the portico hides the building behind a berm and trees. I don't think that's going to be a problem. But, they may want to have a churro cart on the way...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom