News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right.. a resort, themed,and interactive, probably close to all-inclusive.. it’s not actually a cruise ship.

I think people can grasp the concept and still call it a resort.

I think you have far to much faith that average guests will actually do their homework on this sort of things, some people may just hear "Star Wars Resort" and not go any further thinking it just like any other resort.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think the solution is easy... you don't sell it with WDW. Now many people immediately connect Disney == WDW... but the cruise ships is an example of how you pitch a Disney quality experience that isn't predicated on WDW plus something else.

When they sell it as a Star Wars real life experience... enter the universe... live the life... meet the people... and AVOID mentioning WDW or where it is.. until the very end. Or location/WDW is only in the follow-up pitches that build upon the initial impression.. That's how you help break the idea of 'a star wars hotel'.

You gotta sell people on the idea of a real life star wars experience.. and they buy into that.. and then AFTER that.. you say "yes, you can add this onto your WDW vacation or do it on its own... its in Orlando, etc"
I think the only way you can achieve that is if you include DHS park admission in with the experience. Otherwise, you're pinned to the "vacation package" infrastructure.

njDizFan

A few things.

1. I don't think they need the parent of three who is being bugged by the 10 year old to get it. Star Wars is so powerful and their fanbase is so rabid that Disney will have no trouble whatsoever keeping this place filled even without the soccer moms.

2. I can't imagine that this place will be very big. It's not going to be like Pop Century with 3,000 guest rooms.
Well for the foreseeable future 3-5-10 years yes, I'm sure those rooms will be sold out but to sustain the resort over the long haul demographics from across the board are going to have to be marketed to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the only way you can achieve that is if you include DHS park admission in with the experience. Otherwise, you're pinned to the "vacation package" infrastructure.

It's easy enough to include a 1 day DHS admission in the bundle.... actually the more you start including outside the resort... the more complicated and difficult it will be to operate it outside the WDW reservation eco-system.

As much as an architect I'd love to see this be completely separate... but I think the 'SW+WDW trip' bundle will be so common that they will have to make it a WDW reservation model.. more like a split-stay booking.

The key tho is you gotta SELL it as something you make the trip for itself... and for anyone who at least saw the survey and video... it shouldn't be hard.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My issue is... I'm looking at it as thinking... "I want to book this as soon as it opens" even tho I really don't want to pay for it nor is it the best time for my family. But I'm convinced the experience will be the best it will ever be when it first opens... and its cost will only ever go up.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
But I'm convinced the experience will be the best it will ever be when it first opens...
Because the lame-os won't want to participate in the interactive elements and they'll all complain that they can't eat grilled cheese and hot dogs for every meal until Disney is forced to water down the experience and cater to the lowest common denominator?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Because the lame-os won't want to participate in the interactive elements and they'll all complain that they can't eat grilled cheese and hot dogs for every meal until Disney is forced to water down the experience and cater to the lowest common denominator?

They will train and prepare for the launch better than they will for the CP who is cycling through every 90 days. And the 'big thinking' things that the writers dream up... but eventually get trimmed for operational needs or because they didn't resonate with the mass market.

And watch it... I like grilled cheese :p

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I can understand that point of view, but there's many (myself included) who view a resort as someplace where not only do you sleep and shower, but relax, swim, enjoy the services provided and are willing to spend a large amount to do so. That's why there are different classes of resorts. My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons at WDW and paid a little over $500 a night to do so. It was expensive but it was worth it. Having an adult pool where the staff greeted us by name each day and remembered what kind of drinks we liked and what pool chairs we preferred was worth the money. Paying $1000 for the Star Wars experience will be something that many people like me would be willing to do at least once.
Totally get it. We have a resort in St. Pete Beach we LOVE and got married at, we love it so much we do pay a premium for the experience/service. The max a night we spent was around $400 bucks. When you are talking about $1,000 a night, that's a whole new ball game, especially if Star Wars is not that important to you. But I know this will be successful because people are willing to pay it.

nickys

Premium Member
Since you are just speculating... understand others are more clear on what is their thoughts vs what they are sharing.

This was specifically asked - and the answer was not ONLY the resort guests in the park. So I would expect the SW:GE portion to be a __continuation__ of your resort experience... not part of it per say. Of course this could change vs what they were proposing.

I think you are too fixated on where the transition happens. This won't be a cold hand off.

The point being the correction was that this was not sold with the idea that SW:GE was your backyard for the stay.. You are on a transport ship was the story.

Fair enough.

So the first bit, that's saying not exclusive access then? And I get that when you are there, you get some kind of extra interaction or experiences with special magic bands no doubt.

But "continuation" doesn't necessarily mean only at the end. I still hope you would get some kind of access during your stay but we'll have to see. For me that would seal the deal. I'd only be doing this with my family. I like Star Wars, but not obsessed! I'd want some break out space during those 48 hours and being able to go to look around SW:GE would do it. So would a pool, a bar and some comfy seats though!

Unplugged

I'd want some break out space during those 48 hours and being able to go to look around SW:GE would do it. So would a pool, a bar and some comfy seats though!

Just keep in mind, that as you're "on a spaceship", even the pool will be themed, much like Wall-E or...

hqdefault.jpg

nickys

Premium Member
Da fuq? Sure you can. I would say thousands of people do it every day at WDW.

Really? Hand over a bag with passports to bell services? To the CMs at the desk with a safe maybe. But no insurer would cover you if you lost passports if they weren't locked away properly. Even a locked car isn't good enough for them.

Air tickets can be replaced, passports not so easy. Slight detour to Miami required, and you'd have to pay your replacement flight tickets too. the insurers would just say you were negligent, the airlines wouldn't re-seat you two days later if it was due to your own carelessness. Hope you don't travel much with that lackadaisical attitude. :eek:

nickys

Premium Member
The cruise analogy for this experience seems rather apt and you have to have all of that stuff for cruises rather routinely.

On a port stop? I'd ask the concierge to lock them away in a safe but this would be like disembarking if it's at the end of the 48 hours that you get to visit SW:GE.

21stamps

I think @CaptainAmerica is onto something. I will soon have a family of five, and my husband and I love the idea of this type of resort, but can only see it as a special event type of ordeal, where my husband would take our son for a father/son extended weekend trip. I'd love to go as well, but with two younger kids in tow, it's not going to happen.

I think that’s many destinations though. At least for me. I’m a sole parent so I’ve been paying adult double occupancy for my son for years now. Sometimes it’s harder to justify and I pass.

People keep comparing this to a cruise ship, but cruise lines aren’t the only ones with double occupancy pricing. Pretty much every all inclusive resort or tour does the same.

We went to a Beaches resort when my kiddo was 3..I went back and forth for about a month over the decision.. did I want to pay that much for a child who can’t drink the included alcohol, and myself who can’t take advantage of the diving, majority of water sports, or included nightlife.
In the end I decided to do it, just like I will do this Star Wars Hotel.. (as long as it’s not $10,000 for 2-3 nights ;) )

21stamps

I think you have far to much faith that average guests will actually do their homework on this sort of things, some people may just hear "Star Wars Resort" and not go any further thinking it just like any other resort.

I hope they would read what they’re paying for before clicking “pay now”. But who knows.

—-

@CaptainAmerica Calm down, Nerd. There will be normal SW fans there, you need to start accepting it.
Kids, casual fans, it won’t be full of super geeks at all times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom