News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TikibirdLand

Disney thinks they have a nearly-unlimited pool of consumers who will pay and pay handsomely for this. It’s the same philosophy as they have for the parks, they think they have a never-ending supply of consumers willing to pay and pay handsomely for the supposed “premium Disney experience”. I think they’re going to be surprised at how limited the shelf life of this is.
Well, so far, they're right wrt to parks. Every time I see something be removed, hours cut, experience removed, people keep coming. And, they're paying more for it too. I won't pay what they're asking for rack rate at the Poly or the GF. And yet, there's no availability at the Poly during the month of June. All the vloggers are lining up to provide an unequivically positive review of the Starcruiser. And, they'll sell every tour they can launch. I'll be looking at reviews. If history repeats itself, you'll continue to see the vloggers Tracking and Wooing you.

Goofnut1980

I have friends that did the preview. Said it was fun but not worth the price if you had to pay. There isn't much to explore and a lot of the game/simulation areas seemed sorta cheap. The rooms were cool when things happened as part of the experience the windows do things.. it was fun but word will get out at that price that it is not all that. The lightsaber piece was like the jedi academy that was infront of Star Tours.

Goofnut1980

Well, so far, they're right wrt to parks. Every time I see something be removed, hours cut, experience removed, people keep coming. And, they're paying more for it too. I won't pay what they're asking for rack rate at the Poly or the GF. And yet, there's no availability at the Poly during the month of June. All the vloggers are lining up to provide an unequivically positive review of the Starcruiser. And, they'll sell every tour they can launch. I'll be looking at reviews. If history repeats itself, you'll continue to see the vloggers Tracking and Wooing you.
I wish folks could do a true and honest review. Not be swayed by free stays and such just to give a positive review. It is cheating the system that reviews were designed to tell the story about. It is sad TBH.

TikibirdLand

He criticises the light saber issue, something Disney wouldn't do if they paid for an advertisement. Again perhaps he's exaggerating his enjoyment in the hope that he gets more invites, but strange if so that he's being critical at the same time about the light sabers? He's also not been banned or sanctioned by Disney for his views, unless they've just not got around to it yet.

With social media as it is, the world we live in has changed. Universal Studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens along with Disney all give freebies to social influencers/vloggers, it's not unique to Disney and they're not doing anything many other companies aren't doing. The price issue seems to be where your criticism is most warranted. Unfortunately it's a buyers market which means there's many things in the world many people can't afford to do, I guess the fairness aspect of it depends on where you are financially. The one thing I will say is that even though I think it's overpriced by Disney, it's a special experience that justifiably costs more than a normal hotel stay (by a lot more than it should). My point being that it's not an entitlement in life or a necessity, rather a luxury or a treat. I'd argue that genuinely hard working people would be out priced of a family vacation even if it were a third of the price, a lot of them are struggling to even feed their families right now so a cheap vacation is even a luxury or dream to many.
not sure who "he" is in this case. Well, the light saber training is kinda out in the open. Kitra seems to say she'll do it but would look like Josh doing it. I get it. You're invested in this since you're going and have figured out a way to justify the price. I really do hope you have a good time. And, I'm looking forward to your honest review of your "trip". I think you'll be balanced on your opinions. A lot of people, including me, are seriously looking at you maiden voyagers for real info on this experience. I'm not so sure we'll get that from JoJo and others. I hope I see some real reviews from you and those vloggers. I'd be nice to hear balanced yet critical reviews on this.

TikibirdLand

Whether this experience is awesome or not will not stop dozens of people who have already vowed to never step foot in a park again from posting in this thread about how much it sucks.
True. But, I think you can weigh them appropriately once we get real views of the experience. I'm concerned that a lot will be forbidden from being photographed. Can't see how they'd really stop it. But, I know that escape rooms require that you lock your phone up before entering. That may be how they limit exposure of certain activities.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure I consider either of those rides really that immersive compared to RotR. They are somewhat but not quite the same level.
That’s what it is though…we can just call it what it is. They got some of the forbidden journey/gringotts/flight of passage kinda queue action too…that’s cool.

I can go on it for the fourth time again and look for “hidden gems”…but if I’m searching for that…it isn’t working, is it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Whether this experience is awesome or not will not stop dozens of people who have already vowed to never step foot in a park again from posting in this thread about how much it sucks.
True…the counter is that the thousands that simply cannot put on the “the big boy pants” when talking about Disney from gushing no matter what…

I really truly am looking for the center of that line.
True. But, I think you can weigh them appropriately once we get real views of the experience. I'm concerned that a lot will be forbidden from being photographed. Can't see how they'd really stop it. But, I know that escape rooms require that you lock your phone up before entering. That may be how they limit exposure of certain activities.
It will leak out within hours…no way they can realistically keep a lid on it no matter what.

But here’s the kicker: if it’s good…they wouldn’t want to, right?

mergatroid

not sure who "he" is in this case. Well, the light saber training is kinda out in the open. Kitra seems to say she'll do it but would look like Josh doing it. I get it. You're invested in this since you're going and have figured out a way to justify the price. I really do hope you have a good time. And, I'm looking forward to your honest review of your "trip". I think you'll be balanced on your opinions. A lot of people, including me, are seriously looking at you maiden voyagers for real info on this experience. I'm not so sure we'll get that from JoJo and others. I hope I see some real reviews from you and those vloggers. I'd be nice to hear balanced yet critical reviews on this.
He was the vlogger whose video I posted (which was quoted by another poster and I replied to them). I'm not going as it's not my thing and whilst I could afford it, I think it's overpriced for what I'd get from it. I like Star Wars but I'm definitely not a 'fan' like many are, enjoy the films but that's about it. It's very kind of you to hope I enjoy it though, thanks for that.

We are however flying to Orlando from the UK two weeks today. Staying offsite in LBV and got a 14 day pass so will enjoy our trip.

durangojim

@lentesta and Jim Hill have a very good podcast this week of which a great deal of time is spent on the Starcruiser. Two main points from it. 1. If someone has the experience comped then the review will be glowing. 2. If the reviews go the way most of us think it will, then at some point in the future expect to be able to pay about $200 to fly up to the Starcruiser from Batuu and be able to hang out there for a number of hours. The second point seems pretty reasonable to me and I might be willing to partake. This might be the way that the starcruiser is prevented from becoming a colossal failure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I stand corrected, it is not steel, the main building is a tilt-up concrete warehouse. Not as cheap, but still CHEAP by definition and constructed no different than an Amazon warehouse.
Yeah, cheap warehouse with some tricksy set decoration is awful. I hate it when WDW did the same thing highlighted in the pic below...

1645452441698.png

CinematicFusion

@lentesta and Jim Hill have a very good podcast this week of which a great deal of time is spent on the Starcruiser. Two main points from it. 1. If someone has the experience comped then the review will be glowing. 2. If the reviews go the way most of us think it will, then at some point in the future expect to be able to pay about $200 to fly up to the Starcruiser from Batuu and be able to hang out there for a number of hours. The second point seems pretty reasonable to me and I might be willing to partake. This might be the way that the starcruiser is prevented from becoming a colossal failure.
They repurpose the star cruiser and make it a high end dining experience. That could work. You are shuttled out of Batu or you valet your car at front door for an immersive dining experience. Keep the hotel aspect for those who want to stay but open up restaurant reservations with 2-3 hour windows on ship.

JMcMahonEsq

True. The hilarity of it is the people complaining about vloggers or other people that have early access. So people who have actually experienced the hotel are less reliable sources of information/insight on the hotel than the keyboard warriors who blab on about inflation and pricing…all while sitting in their basement with no personal knowledge or connection to the hotel.

durangojim

So people who have actually experienced the hotel are less reliable sources of information/insight on the hotel than the keyboard warriors who blab on about inflation and pricing
Yes, lol.
Bloggers are not journalists, they're superfans who feel special because Disney has anointed them the chosen ones to get to see everything early and experience things that the public doesn't. They are addicted to their status and for some it's their livelihood and they are smart enough to know not to bite the hand that feeds them. So yes, I take what that group has to say about something with a giant salt mine sized grain of salt.
Let's put it this way, what experience, ride, etc that Disney has made in the past 25 years that is supposed to be so incredible has Disney either put out hardly any press/info about or the things they did put out made it look like crap? I can't think of any. RotR had amazing pre opening media and it looked incredible. Expedition everest had a whole Discovery channel special about it with Joe Rhode. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck. It's a duck, or in this case a major failure.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Yes, lol.
Bloggers are not journalists, they're superfans who feel special because Disney has anointed them the chosen ones to get to see everything early and experience things that the public doesn't. They are addicted to their status and for some it's their livelihood and they are smart enough to know not to bite the hand that feeds them. So yes, I take what that group has to say about something with a giant salt mine sized grain of salt.
Let's put it this way, what experience, ride, etc that Disney has made in the past 25 years that is supposed to be so incredible has Disney either put out hardly any press/info about or the things they did put out made it look like crap? I can't think of any. RotR had amazing pre opening media and it looked incredible. Expedition everest had a whole Discovery channel special about it with Joe Rhode. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck. It's a duck, or in this case a major failure.
Sciretta literally has “Star Wars/Disneyland fanatic” in his Twitter bio. Setting aside the dubious claims of some offshore money stream he may or may not have, that self-proclaimed identity, coupled with his shill like reviews and multiple income streams that rely on Disney access make me a tad bit skeptical that he is a reliable narrator on this project.

Morkey Moose

Yes, lol.
Let's put it this way, what experience, ride, etc that Disney has made in the past 25 years that is supposed to be so incredible has Disney either put out hardly any press/info about or the things they did put out made it look like crap? I can't think of any. RotR had amazing pre opening media and it looked incredible. Expedition everest had a who Discovery channel special about it with Joe Rhode. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck. It's a duck, or in this case a major failure.
That's the most disconcerting part to me. Back when Pandora opened, you couldn't avoid the media blast surrounding it. They even shlepped our local Fox affiliate there for a preview. Yet, in the era of cheap, intrusive, digital marketing, they can't muster more than an occasional static Facebook ad. And I'm sure I've been cookied as a Disney weirdo because I was definitely beaten down with 50th Anniversary ads, despite the fact that it's insulting to even call that a "Celebration."

I guess time will tell. Two weeks from now to the minute, I'll be stuffed in the back of a box truck likely reevaluating my life choices.

durangojim

That's the most disconcerting part to me. Back when Pandora opened, you couldn't avoid the media blast surrounding it. They even shlepped our local Fox affiliate there for a preview. Yet, in the era of cheap, intrusive, digital marketing, they can't muster more than an occasional static Facebook ad. And I'm sure I've been cookied as a Disney weirdo because I was definitely beaten down with 50th Anniversary ads, despite the fact that it's insulting to even call that a "Celebration."

I guess time will tell. Two weeks from now to the minute, I'll be stuffed in the back of a box truck likely reevaluating my life choices.
I hope I'm totally off base here and you have an amazing experience! On the bright side, with all the negativity here on the boards, you're sure to have a great time as I am convinced it will be much better than the dumpster fire many of us fear it will be!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True. The hilarity of it is the people complaining about vloggers or other people that have early access. So people who have actually experienced the hotel are less reliable sources of information/insight on the hotel than the keyboard warriors who blab on about inflation and pricing…all while sitting in their basement with no personal knowledge or connection to the hotel.
This just proves that common sense isn’t at all common:..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom