News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
It IS a steel warehouse. The building itself is CHEAP by definition.
It absolutely is not.

This is a not a steel warehouse - That's concrete.
EAhAgEwX4AY3KHq.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I stand corrected, it is not steel, the main building is a stand-up concrete warehouse. Not as cheap, but still CHEAP by definition and constructed no different than an Amazon warehouse.

Tilt-up Construction as it is called is common place now - it is not a cheap-out, it's the preferred construction method for it's speed. You'll see it everywhere where large continuous walls are needed.

Your complaint is 'its a box!' - it's also a box no one is intended to see!

JoeCamel

Tilt-up Construction as it is called is common place now - it is not a cheap-out, it's the preferred construction method for it's speed. You'll see it everywhere where large continuous walls are needed.

Your complaint is 'its a box!' - it's also a box no one is intended to see!
Its a box building backstage that looks like the other backstage boxes? Masterful job of theming to surroundings if you ask me.....
They nailed it!

TP2000

Cheap based on what? Simply because it lacks faux crap glued or painted all over it? Overlooking all the infrastructure setup JUST FOR THIS?

Just because it looks like a steel warehouse doesn't make it cheap.

They spent some money on the interior, but from what they've shown us in the alarmingly unerwhelming pre-opening media they didn't spend near enough.

The exterior is exactly what it looks like; a lightly landscaped warehouse with only 100 small hotel rooms and a restaurant inside, with a cheap concrete entrance.

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-aerial-august-2021-1-2000x1125.jpg

The Walt Disney Company in the Covid Disaster Year of Fiscal 2021 made just over $2 Billion in net profit. In Fiscal 2019 they made $11 Billion in net profit. This warehouse hotel project maybe cost them $150 Million, including the polyester dental hygienist uniforms they bought for the CM's. Turning Kathleen Kennedy into shamelessly blueface Captain Karen only cost them an afternoon in the makeup chair. The actress who plays Gaya was just thrilled to get the gig after she didn't get the call back on the Dr. Pepper commercial.

When this thing flops and stops booking reservations by 2023, it's going to be a tiny blip on the road to the next shareholders meeting. They've tried to talk a big game, but as their own pre-opening PR has showed, it's small ball.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

They spent some money on the interior, but from what they've shown us in the alarmingly unerwhelming pre-opening media they didn't spend near enough.

The exterior is exactly what it looks like; a lightly landscaped warehouse with only 100 small hotel rooms and a restaurant inside, with a cheap concrete entrance.

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-aerial-august-2021-1-2000x1125.jpg

The Walt Disney Company in the Covid Disaster Year of Fiscal 2021 made just over $2 Billion in net profit. In Fiscal 2019 they made $11 Billion in net profit. This warehouse hotel project maybe cost them $150 Million, including the polyester dental hygienist uniforms they bought for the CM's. Turning Kathleen Kennedy into shamelessly blueface Captain Karen only cost them an afternoon in the makeup chair. The actress who plays Gaya was just thrilled to get the gig after she didn't get the call back on the Dr. Pepper commercial.

When this thing flops and stops booking reservations by 2023, it's going to be a tiny blip on the road to the next shareholders meeting. They've tried to talk a big game, but as their own pre-opening PR has showed, it's small ball.
Yes. Also due to how and where it was built the entry roadway can be gated off, signage posted Off Limits except for Authorized Staff and the area fenced / blocked off, so guests don't have access or even see it. Yeah, by design it easily can fade into being just another back lot building / warehouse.

mergatroid

Your strawman argument is clear - "Almost all vloggers used to smooch Disney's butt regardless of everything" does not mean "everything was bad but they lied and said it was great", it means "They'd put a good spin even on whatever bad things were there so they could keep their access to the good things". The claim wasn't that 100% of things were bad, but that obviously things were not good 100% of the time, as is true in life, and yet vloggers tend to sweep those under the rug to stay in Disney's good graces. There's a REALLY big difference between "everything's bad but I'll pretend it's all good" and "Lots of things are good so I'll gloss over the percentage that isn't", and most people can understand that difference.

This, then, means that if a Vlogger was usually inclined to gloss over whatever bad there was before, the fact that they now aren't letting it go suggests and increased level of badness over what they were willing to accept before. It obviously doesn't mean it's "100 times worse than anything else". It just suggests the needle has moved to a point where people aren't staying silent about it anymore.

It doesn't require a lot of nuance to understand their point. Seems like the one who's skewing things here is you.
That would be true had the youtubers in question had glossed over bad stuff in the past and now weren't. However that's not the case and can easily be seen if you watch their videos. Your long winded argument fails when there's proof that they've mentioned negative stuff before, so it's not like they've suddenly started to do so recently which would have to be the case for your theory to work.

I'm not saying every vlogger is honest and I never have. I'm very fair and have explained that this 'experience' may work or fail. I'll accept if it's bad that it's bad, it just feels like there's a lot of unfair criticism of it by those who know very little about it. Nowhere do I say that it's going to be great although it would be wonderful it it was, not for me but for those who are paying to go. There's a minority on here who are absolutely saying it's awful and they absolutely have said they won't take what any vloggers say good about it. I'm not saying that people don't have a reason to doubt some vloggers if they want to, but this whole sale "Vloggers all lie to protect their access" mentality that some have isn't the perfect science they claim it to be.

mergatroid

For anyone who's interested what type of 'experience' this is, you may find this video quite interesting. It's from an enthusiastic vlogger who was comped a stay as an invited guest by Disney. Obviously there's many who have no interest in how much he enjoyed the experience, he may be lying and hated it really but doesn't want to lose his Disney access. He may also being telling the truth and loved it apart from him saying the negative stuff about the light sabers.

But ignoring his motives for enjoying it, there's no reason for him to lie about the events to expect to give people an idea, as many posts on this thread are asking that very question. Again, perhaps his motives for enjoying it are to stay in Disney's good books. If that's the case shame on him, but you can watch this for other reasons such as what it entails. courtesy of IGN

Last edited:

Diamond Dot

As I predicted, they will give vloggers freebies because it's cheap publicity. This is everything that is currently wrong with Disney, you may agree or disagree with me, but, let's give a person making home movies a free (or subsidised;)) stay at a hotel in the hopes that the sheep who watch these vloggers will want to book that $5000k stay. They will do the same with celebrities, superwealthy celebrities who could afford the silly money involved.
No, I didn't go watch it, because I find it quite nauseating to watch people blag freebies like this from Disney while genuinely hard working people are being out priced the cost of a family vacation at a value resort by the same company.

CinematicFusion

It’s a a simple hotel experience geared for families with 5-10 year old kids…

….after finishing their VIP Disney tour.

They first get picked up at Wilderness Lodge cabins
01776C92-F3AA-4ABF-A554-EC553BAAEE78.jpeg

D5A88B6D-6354-4BAC-9109-7FF1D850982B.jpeg

Family tours the park, bypassing all the lines, and riding everything as many times as they want.
963EBEB0-8468-49BE-93DB-880843242E06.jpeg
Tour guide will drop them off right at the door after their day at park. The kids will love it!
vipmain.jpg

Parents then hang out at the Star Wars bar and talk about how amazing the VIP Experience was and how cool Wilderness Lodge Cabins are…
EAB1378D-2B8A-4B81-9383-139367FC2710.jpeg

The kids play with lightsabers in the kids club room giving the parents a much needed alcohol break after feeling awesome all day at the park.
39E638F7-748E-410C-8A7E-9FDAAD8EFA3A.png

To cap the night off, families can point down from the heavens…
799A4343-D285-4491-943F-8898F300663B.jpeg
… at all the suckers still waiting in line for Peter Pan.
77605334-0132-4B7E-BF1B-D1C38C627992.jpeg

Fun day at Disney.

Last edited:

danv3

Disney thinks they have a nearly-unlimited pool of consumers who will pay and pay handsomely for this. It’s the same philosophy as they have for the parks, they think they have a never-ending supply of consumers willing to pay and pay handsomely for the supposed “premium Disney experience”. I think they’re going to be surprised at how limited the shelf life of this is.

If this thing doesn't get rave reviews across the board, then I find it hard to see how Disney will be keeping it reasonably full two years from now (maybe less). I don't think there are nearly enough rich people willing to do something like this to keep this place at expected occupancy for very long.

Driver

Game: What's missing in the screen shot of the room from the new video compared to earlier photos?

New:
View attachment 622519

Old:
View attachment 622520

(Answer below)

Notice the control panels in the bunk bed wall in the old photo? They are missing in the new one. So, that got cut after already being put in. Also, the dark grey decorative strip between the bunkbeds is missing. The ladder is narrower in the new one - perhaps a hint that guests with large "waistlines" should not be climbing such ladders.

We've yet to see a photo or concept art of the bathroom.
There are different variations in the rooms, some don’t have bunks . The differences you are pointing out are simply theme variations.

JoeCamel

Yes. Also due to how and where it was built the entry roadway can be gated off, signage posted Off Limits except for Authorized Staff and the area fenced / blocked off, so guests don't have access or even see it. Yeah, by design it easily can fade into being just another back lot building / warehouse.
Disney's first clothing optional resort.....
Unlike most, sunscreen will not be provided by the pool.....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That was my description.... people keep using LARP and while some might think LARP or even wanting some LARP either their expectations were wrong or they don't understand LARP. More often it's the latter.

Much like I don't do RPGs 9 times out of ten, I don't like LARPing at all. But I understand what both of those are. Immersive experiences are not LARP. And people keep confusing this. Even reenactments are closer than a cosplay optional hotel is.

So when I used immersive it's supposed to be immersive like RotR is. Adventure in such that it is a multi-day experience. Cosplay optional.
So the great movie ride and 15 seconds of Star tours?
It's one of those things like science. Often certain people are discouraged from taking part or just simply not encouraged to like. To me Leia was a great role model. She was often more of a bad-*** than her twin brother. Not many of my female friends were into it lest they were called a nerd. It's nice to know more are into it. I haven'tbeen able to do SW stuff outside of GE in a long time.
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Driver

I probably forgot to mention it because the older I get, the more I find most Resort/ hotel pools to be overrated, undesirable and unsanitary.
A pool would not fit the storyline. Many steps have been taken to keep the “ in space theme “ tangible. Which is why there are no windows to see outdoors.

mergatroid

As I predicted, they will give vloggers freebies because it's cheap publicity. This is everything that is currently wrong with Disney, you may agree or disagree with me, but, let's give a person making home movies a free (or subsidised;)) stay at a hotel in the hopes that the sheep who watch these vloggers will want to book that $5000k stay. They will do the same with celebrities, superwealthy celebrities who could afford the silly money involved.
No, I didn't go watch it, because I find it quite nauseating to watch people blag freebies like this from Disney while genuinely hard working people are being out priced the cost of a family vacation at a value resort by the same company.
He criticises the light saber issue, something Disney wouldn't do if they paid for an advertisement. Again perhaps he's exaggerating his enjoyment in the hope that he gets more invites, but strange if so that he's being critical at the same time about the light sabers? He's also not been banned or sanctioned by Disney for his views, unless they've just not got around to it yet.

With social media as it is, the world we live in has changed. Universal Studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens along with Disney all give freebies to social influencers/vloggers, it's not unique to Disney and they're not doing anything many other companies aren't doing. The price issue seems to be where your criticism is most warranted. Unfortunately it's a buyers market which means there's many things in the world many people can't afford to do, I guess the fairness aspect of it depends on where you are financially. The one thing I will say is that even though I think it's overpriced by Disney, it's a special experience that justifiably costs more than a normal hotel stay (by a lot more than it should). My point being that it's not an entitlement in life or a necessity, rather a luxury or a treat. I'd argue that genuinely hard working people would be out priced of a family vacation even if it were a third of the price, a lot of them are struggling to even feed their families right now so a cheap vacation is even a luxury or dream to many.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom