News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Cesar R M

Do you have a problem with the back side of the Hogwarts express?

View attachment 617305
Well, that is till not a boxtruck. And in general its shaped like a locomotive.

I'm sure that the appearance of the box truck (at least from the outside) isn't going to be THE dealbreaker for this hotel. But most of the experiences on board this "ship" are regular old theme park experiences--the card game, the lightsaber training, the droid racing are the equivalents of getting a wand at Olivander's at Universal or that Jedi training show that used to be available to kids. The Twilek singer is like going to Space 220, and the big "fight" that you get at the end of the hotel is the Spiderman stunt show or the live-action Beauty and the Beast.

You're paying $6k for stuff that you usually could do for a $100 upcharge at most. People were expecting real lightsabers and actual landspeeders for those prices.
There are singers at HP's land ( Diagon Alley has 2 alternating groups). So I'd say that would be the competitor to the twilek singer (Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees, and of course, the tales of the beedle the bard ) while Diagon has the Frog Choir and Triwizard rally.

So Agree that they simply put some of the best attractions of HP that are included in the price.. and threw an hotel with a 6k pricetag on top.

fryoj

If nitpicking the outside of a van that a guest of the hotel will never see is where we are at, god help us when the posters here figure out that the star cruiser is a building and you won't be actually flying into space....

There is tons of stuff to rip this project apart for. The vehicle choice for transport that you are never going to see isn't one of them.

Cesar R M

I can’t tell if this was all due to an inadequate budget or if these millennial imagineers are all sitting around a table discussing these horrible ideas and nobody has a backbone to say, “No, Suzi. That’s a terrible idea.“

I really do feel that’s why these horrible ideas are getting through imagineering. They talk about inclusion so often, I think they believe that means you can’t say when someone else’s idea sucks and then the said idea ends up going into production.
Considering how they threw away their greatest imagineers in these last years. I have to say that Disney does now force Imagineers to put budget on top of "imagination". Hence what you mentioned. Noone dares to say "no, we need to get this good!"

Now it seems "good enough and fits the budget!"

Incomudro

Yeah, concept art of the interior which has been posted to this thread many, many times.
The concept art, particularly the line drawings showing how the bus would dock - showed the cabin area looking recognizable to a bus.
Same doors, straps...
I'm imagining they are merely building in seats and Star Wars like structures into this truck.
It's really cementing in my mind that it is ground transport, and not something meant to simulate flight down to Batuu.

LovePop

If nitpicking the outside of a van that a guest of the hotel will never see is where we are at, god help us when the posters here figure out that the star cruiser is a building and you won't be actually flying into space....

There is tons of stuff to rip this project apart for. The vehicle choice for transport that you are never going to see isn't one of them.
The vehicle matters, though, even if you won't see it. Imagine the truck is themed outside to look like a space shuttle. As you sit inside going along towards DHS, you know that every person that sees you will be straining their eyes to look again, their hearts filled with envy, making you feel like your $$$$ spent is more than worth it.

As of right now, everybody who sees the box truck driving by will point at it and laugh.

Incomudro

So I went back and read it. You are basically saying that since the Starcruiser costs so much you would be happier if Disney spent a large amount of money on a custom ride system even if it gave the guest the exact same experience as something more off the shelf.
Yes, the idea that they are putting guests in a box truck, really bothers me - particularly at this price point.

jinx8402

The vehicle matters, though, even if you won't see it. Imagine the truck is themed outside to look like a space shuttle. As you sit inside going along towards DHS, you know that every person that sees you will be straining their eyes to look again, their hearts filled with envy, making you feel like your $$$$ spent is more than worth it.

As of right now, everybody who sees the box truck driving by will point at it and laugh.
The only people that may recognize the bus are the hyper fans. The normal person is just gonna see a box truck and think nothing of it. Not to mention, this won't be seen by any guests since it is mostly back stage.

LovePop

A glimpse of the box truck's interior theming:

starcruiser-transport-box-truck-4-696x464.jpg

Here's the original concept art:
star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-transport-bus-conce_003.jpg

TP2000

I agree with you. The box truck makes sense to me from a heavy chassis and "onboard show" situation.

Worrying about what the truck looks on the outside to CM's parking before their shift as it trundles across the backstage parking lots makes about as much sense as worrying what the exterior of the Haunted Mansion stretching rooms look like to the maintenance guys at 2am.

Speaking of that, I'm looking forward to seeing some POV videos of people arriving and checking in at the Starcruiser. I wonder if the small berm and light landscaping they've placed around the entry road is enough to hide that hulking warehouse this hotel is housed in? At least for the first year or two before this stuff grows in...

Star-Wars-Galactic-Starcruiser-construction-credit-bioreconstruct-twitter-2384640.jpg

JoeCamel

A glimpse of the box truck's interior theming:

View attachment 617665

Here's the original concept art:View attachment 617666
Unless they have a fleet of these I'm failing to see the capacity to transport ~300 guests back and forth each day. That's like 30 trips one way from what is shown and that takes how long?
Sorry, due to a stellar space storm your departure will be delayed 45 earth minutes?

LovePop

The only people that may recognize the bus are the hyper fans. The normal person is just gonna see a box truck and think nothing of it. Not to mention, this won't be seen by any guests since it is mostly back stage.
It's not a matter of recognizing a box truck. People might look at any box truck on the highway and automatically assume that it's the famed luxury transport. But most importantly, if the trucks are themed on the outside, it can work as a powerful advertising influence for the Starcruiser. People would think, look at how cool that thing is! I want to ride in it!!!

TP2000

Who would see it? CM's in the backstage parking lot it travels across? And if any non-CM saw it, they'd just think it's a generic box truck.

It's honestly like worrying what the exterior of the Haunted Mansion stretch rooms or Living Seas hydrolators look like to the maintenance guys. Who's gonna see it? Who would care?

TP2000

Some other sites are reporting that D’Amaro participated in one of the test cruises. I heard he was dressed as a stormtrooper. Apparently someone filmed some video of him in the cruise talking about the negative reactions on the web.

Josh knows. They all know. Which is why the pre-opening PR videos were pulled and they've gone silent.

They know. ;)

LovePop

Unless they have a fleet of these I'm failing to see the capacity to transport ~300 guests back and forth each day. That's like 30 trips one way from what is shown and that takes how long?
Sorry, due to a stellar space storm your departure will be delayed 45 earth minutes?

It depends on how tightly they pack the boxes with guests. The trip is only 1/2 mile, so 2 minute ride time driving slow. I remember reading somewhere that says a bus loads 60 people at capacity. So if the boxes can pack 30 tightly, that's 10 trips. If they have a truck every 10 minutes (one truck alone can do this), everybody can be hauled out in 2 hours, from 9am to 11am. So if they run 2 trucks, they can be half full (15 each) and get the job done. The benefit is that the ride is so short. Of course, if people are standing in the the buses next to each other, it won't feel as much like a space ship but more like a bus or box truck -- though I don't know what it's like to ride in the back of a box truck, it's normal not legal. I own a box truck. I have never rode in it.

JoeCamel

It depends on how tightly they pack the boxes with guests. The trip is only 1/2 mile, so 2 minute ride time driving slow. I remember reading somewhere that says a bus loads 60 people at capacity. So if the boxes can pack 30 tightly, that's 10 trips. If they have a truck every 10 minutes (one truck alone can do this), everybody can be hauled out in 2 hours, from 9am to 11am. So if they run 2 trucks, they can be half full (15 each) and get the job done. The benefit is that the ride is so short. Of course, if people are standing in the the buses next to each other, it won't feel as much like a space ship but more like a bus or box truck -- though I don't know what it's like to ride in the back of a box truck, it's normal not legal. I own a box truck. I have never rode in it.
I was looking at the seating shown. If its going to be butts in faces it might as well be the monorail.

TP2000

It depends on how tightly they pack the boxes with guests. The trip is only 1/2 mile, so 2 minute ride time driving slow. I remember reading somewhere that says a bus loads 60 people at capacity. So if the boxes can pack 30 tightly, that's 10 trips.

From the artists rendering you posted, there are 12 seats. And reasonable space for about another dozen people to stand. I'd say 24 people is about the capacity. It's not an 18 wheeler that's 40 feet long, it's about a 25 foot box truck with a smaller interior.

I'm sure there will be several of these, but even then you're going to have to wait a bit to get onto a shuttle.

Much like waiting for a tender to take you ashore from a cruise ship in a smaller port.

The fretting over this box truck situation just makes me chuckle. :D

All the issues this high profile concept has right now, and we're worried that a 19 year old CM parking before his churro shift at DHS is going to see that the Starcruiser Shuttle is actually just a box truck??? 🤔

JoeCamel

From the artists rendering you posted, there are 12 seats. And reasonable space for about another dozen people to stand. I'd say 24 people is about the capacity. It's not an 18 wheeler that's 40 feet long, it's about a 25 foot box truck with a smaller interior.

I'm sure there will be several of these, but even then you're going to have to wait a bit to get onto a shuttle.

Much like waiting for a tender to take you ashore from a cruise ship in a smaller port.

The fretting over this box truck situation just makes me chuckle. :D

All the issues this high profile concept has right now, and we're worried that a 19 year old CM parking before his churro shift at DHS is going to see that the Starcruiser Shuttle is actually just a box truck??? 🤔
Nah, I'm worried the 19yo is driving the box truck...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is the main reason I think that not everyone will go to Batuu at the same time. We know there is only one loading point at GE and the Starcruiser, so that will limit how many they can run. I assume they will run at least two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom