News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your first paragraph is why this transport bothers me.
There's just something so low effort about that.
We all know that they didn't build a real train for Hogwart's, and I certainly understand guests aren't seeing the outside of the Halcyon transport, so no need to theme it.
But it's a darned straight truck.
When we first speculated as to how guests would get from the ship to the park, I figured Disney would lay down a rail or a track - something like that.
Something built for the purpose, and yes - it could have been pulled by cables.
It wouldn't bother me if I were a guest at those prices, and that's what the transport was.
But, an off the shelf truck?
That bothers me.

If the experience is the same, why does it matter whether it's a truck, or a vehicle running on tracks, the guests experience is all that is important.

Casper Gutman

If the experience is the same, why does it matter whether it's a truck, or a vehicle running on tracks, the guests experience is all that is important.
In an ideal world, something like this transport and key elements of the starcruiser like the role playing would be available to all guests, and the transport would move on a dedicated track with a motion base to simulate flying.

Instead, guests paying thousands of dollars a night are stuffed in unmarked windowless vans with themed interiors. This isn’t a big issue. It isn’t in the list of top ten things wrong with the hotel. If the hotel were reasonably priced, it would be a very logical decision to keep costs manageable.

But it IS a very funny image.

Sir_Cliff

JRB? I know this can be a very annoying question on social media, but can you point me to a particular post? If you don’t want to take the time, I understand.
I honestly feel a little bad quoting someone else like this, but this is what a quick search came up with:

Its different for me. My nieces would rather ride coasters and thrill rides over high themed ride. Theming and atmosphere doesn't do much for me.

IMO a ride is a ride. All those rides you listed for the most part are very similar. It feels like almost all new rides they put in a new version of a dark ride. I realize that's their thing and most Disney fans love that cause almost all their rides the whole family can ride together. IMO the last innovative attraction that I personally was blown away by is Tower of Terror. Outside that it feels when they come across a new ride system they use it for almost every new ride til they come up with a new system. First it was omni-movers for many attractions and now it's moved to trackless ride vehicles.

I travel the US visiting theme parks every summer and have been on many different type of attractions. I am more blown away in what new concepts the coaster companies are doing then anything Disney has done. Last time I was at Disney after going on the many omni-mover rides I felt like I rode the same ride just with different scenes.

There is many other great amusement parks out there that I find are much better. If you look at the top 10 poll USA today put out recently no Disney park was on it. Silver Dollar City, Cedar Point and Busch Gardens Virginia were the top 3. Disney fans need to come the dark side more.

Most know they are different experiences. My argument comes from how dismissive a lot of Disney fans are to those parks. I enjoy Cedar Point and Hershey Park far more then Disney.

A lot of that is that I still love coasters and thrills. Also my body is still able to handle it.

Casper Gutman

I honestly feel a little bad quoting someone else like this, but this is what a quick search came up with:
Thank you. I stand corrected.

Well, everyone can have thier opinion but… yeah. Dark rides and especially omnimovers are the greatest and Hershey is nice enough but not close to even diminished Disney. (And Busch Gardens Williamsburg has declined more precipitously then WDW.)

Now if they had said Dollywood… it would still be wrong, but not quite AS wrong.

Jrb1979

Well, everyone can have thier opinion but… yeah. Dark rides and especially omnimovers are the greatest and Hershey is nice enough but not close to even diminished Disney. (And Busch Gardens Williamsburg has declined more precipitously then WDW.)

Now if they had said Dollywood… it would still be wrong, but not quite AS wrong.
Why I'm not impressed with most dark rides is due to lack of thrill. I don't always need something intense but I need to physically feel something on a ride to make it really enjoyable.

celluloid

Instead, guests paying thousands of dollars a night are stuffed in unmarked windowless vans with themed interiors. This isn’t a big issue. It isn’t in the list of top ten things wrong with the hotel. If the hotel were reasonably priced, it would be a very logical decision to keep costs manageable.
Including quicker or to cut or alter if guests are not enjoying it vs the cost to operate if it were a dedicated ride system. It can become just a bus route situation.

MurphyJoe

Da hell is concept art good for? Does it do anything?

Builds up our hopes and dreams so they might crash on the rocks of reality.

In an ideal world, something like this transport and key elements of the starcruiser like the role playing would be available to all guests, and the transport would move on a dedicated track with a motion base to simulate flying.

But it IS a very funny image.

If the inside is themed to the 9s, I don't see an issue. However, with what's been shown on the Starcruiser, I don't have much faith they've pulled it off.

It's interesting that calls for a Haunted Mansion hotel have gone silent since the Starcruiser promo videos. Wonder if there's a correlation there?

Sir_Cliff

Sadly Dollywood is still on my bucket list! I've been trying to coordinate that trip with a bunch of friends for years...

People can like what they like and, again, I am critical of probably most things Disney is doing at the moment and have no plans or real desire to visit WDW anytime soon. Still, I think we need to be open and fair about where our criticism of Disney is coming from.

Cesar R M

272619614_1590218274704373_4856155385229773716_n.jpg
This wreaks of luxury 😄

Can you imagine if they give you these for you to as part of the "entertainment offers". Aka make your own paper miniature room for you to build.
Nothing speaks more like luxury that! XD

Cesar R M

It does look pretty cramped for the price point. They apparently took the concept of "cruise ship" literally. 😳

The bathroom in particular is underwhelming. A $179 per night Hampton Inn has a bigger bathroom.
And it does not even have the double sinks divided bathrooms that made DCL very popular for families.

If they’re looking to trade jabs Disney could post a picture of what a real steam engine looks like comempared to the plastic looking, pulling into station backwards, hogwarts express cable car.
They would end burning themselves. What was the last time the trains were fully operational with the steam engine working?
Also, aren't Disney's trains running on diesel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom