News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

DonaldDoleWhip

Do people really care about a pool that much?

This thing costs $115 an hour. Do I really want to spend time swimming?

I feel like if I did this I'd be constantly thinking of the cost. Take a nap? $115 used! Go to the bathroom? $10 used!

There was talk about whether or not someone could go back to their car for something. Of course you can, but it will cost you $57.50 of your Starcruiser time!
This logic assumes everyone onboard experiences full utility from every hour of activities, but that simply won't be the case. There will absolutely be parents tagging along who aren't drawn in by the gimmick, as well as kids with short attention spans who'll be wishing for a pool break.

The Starcruiser also doesn't look particularly big, meaning there will only be so much physical content to explore.

I can't be alone in thinking 48 hours of no natural light sounds like a nightmare, barring one brief excursion to Galaxy's Edge. The least they could've done with such a boutique offering is give those inclined an in-theme pool or fitness center, so there's somewhere to decompress when guests are feeling claustrophobic or over it.

MurphyJoe

This logic assumes everyone onboard experiences full utility from every hour of activities, but that simply won't be the case. There will absolutely be parents tagging along who aren't drawn in by the gimmick, as well as kids with short attention spans who'll be wishing for a pool break.

The Starcruiser also doesn't look particularly big, meaning there will only be so much physical content to explore.

I can't be alone in thinking 48 hours of no natural light sounds like a nightmare, barring one brief excursion to Galaxy's Edge. The least they could've done with such a boutique offering is give those inclined an in-theme pool or fitness center, so there's somewhere to decompress when guests are feeling claustrophobic or over it.

Based on the sample itinerary, the entire experience clocks in at 45 hours. After subtracting off 8 hours for sleeping each night and about 4.5 hours on Batuu, there are only 24-and-a-half hours aboard the Starcruiser. Disney most likely bought the good screens/projection systems for this so light shouldn't be an issue. I'm barking at the price for limited exclusive content more than anything.

Wendy Pleakley

The target audience for this never leaves their parent's basement, so probably not a huge concern ;)

Kidding.

How about nice hot oil baths in lieu of a regular pool?

DonaldDoleWhip

The target audience for this never leaves their parent's basement, so probably not a huge concern ;)

Kidding.

How about nice hot oil baths in lieu of a regular pool?
Call it an oil bath if you must, or a blue milk storage room! I just can’t believe they didn’t go there in any sense.

In terms of appeal, certainly not an issue for the first few months, when it’ll be booked out by bloggers, vloggers, and whatever contingent of fans still cares for the sequel trilogy.

Beyond that, I’m stunned they wouldn’t offer some essential amenities that would truly cement the Starcruiser as a luxury experience.

ImperfectPixie

Call it an oil bath if you must, or a blue milk storage room! I just can’t believe they didn’t go there in any sense.

In terms of appeal, certainly not an issue for the first few months, when it’ll be booked out by bloggers, vloggers, and whatever contingent of fans still cares for the sequel trilogy.

Beyond that, I’m stunned they wouldn’t offer some essential amenities that would truly cement the Starcruiser as a luxury experience.
There wasn't even a coffee maker or microwave listed in the in-room amenities.

I can't even think about being sociable before I've had coffee.

SJN1279

I was thinking, why not base Galaxy's Edge on the new trilogy in it's entirety, and not just between episode 2 and 3?
That way all characters are represented. Heck even Darth Vader's burnt helmet could be a great photo spot.

MurphyJoe

There wasn't even a coffee maker or microwave listed in the in-room amenities.

I can't even think about being sociable before I've had coffee.

I would expect at this price point and the restricted environment there would be light refreshments always available. However, the dining page makes no mention of continuing food service.

Speaking of dining, I'm kinda surprised, and kinda not, Disney is going with shared appetizers for the table on both nights at dinner and no choice for dessert (though it could be the way I'm reading "a specialty plated dessert". Along with a buffet for breakfast and lunch. Shared appetizers and meal buffets don't exactly scream luxury.

UNCgolf

I would expect at this price point and the restricted environment there would be light refreshments always available. However, the dining page makes no mention of continuing food service.

Speaking of dining, I'm kinda surprised, and kinda not, Disney is going with shared appetizers for the table on both nights at dinner and no choice for dessert (though it could be the way I'm reading "a specialty plated dessert". Along with a buffet for breakfast and lunch. Shared appetizers and meal buffets don't exactly scream luxury.

I think breakfast/brunch buffets have a history as a luxury service -- not that all of them are luxury, but there's a long tradition of very fancy brunch buffets (often on Sundays) at private clubs and higher end restaurants (sometimes in nice hotels).

Agreed about everything else, though.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I can see the DVC argument for sure, although people who buy in will have been onsite guests so they’re really just switching from one type of stay to another.

But you said yourself, numbers of visitors are going up anyway. Having more rooms onsite means more people coming to Orlando will stay onsite. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s causing an increase in numbers visiting the parks.

And there’s no way to tell which view is nearest the truth. Except that I’m pretty sure it’s accepted that the numbers of offsite guests > onsite guests.

I want to point out that at only 100 rooms, I don't think the Starcruiser impacts any of what this conversation has morphed into at all so we are way, way, way off the point of this thread but because I never know when to shut up and move along I present you with the following word-vomit:

I feel like you may be trying to debate me on a point I was never trying to make.

I'm not sure how far back you were following the conversation the post you initially replied to (which was 50% joking*) came from but I was never trying to say that Disney building up their resorts was the whole problem with overcrowding.

What I was saying was that seeing them build up their DVC specifically like crazy over the last 15-20 years (but yes, also resorts in general) while not only neglecting to also increase attraction capacity as they saw attendance continuing to rise in their parks but in fact, decreasing it in many ways over the span of time was something that ticked me off.

Disney's been cool with building more rooms and running huge marketing campaigns in an effort to attract more guests specifically to their property* for the last two decades but hasn't been nearly so eager to maintain and add to the parks which are the sole reason most would choose to stay on their property rather than the plentiful supply of other places to stay that offer better prices and better amenities if you're not on a Disney-centric trip.

Do you remember Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean being a wonderful near-walk-on during most non-spring break and non-Christmas-Break visits?

I sure do.

What happened to that?

Speaking of non-Disney-centric, have you seen how much Universal and Sea World have not only updated but added in the last 20 years in their theme parks? I'll say this much - it's been a whole lot more than cupcakes and after-hour up-charges.

*Except for the polar bears. I was deadly serious about the polar bears. Sure, when their white fur isn't soaked in the blood of their victims they can seem cute but look up some facts about them.

They're total a-holes, unlike you who, although I may not completely agree with, seem to be a totally delightful alien. ;)

**I feel like your suggestion that the primary thing preventing more people from staying in Disney resorts while visiting the Orlando area is due to an apparent lack of rooms suffers from a bit of perspective bias, which I'm guessing is in part from you being a big Disney fan (who isn't or at least wasn't around here, right?) but also from coming from the U.K. and taking two week trips which are both double the domestic average and also much harder to plan. That said, I was never trying to argue against most of the the points you're making with that here.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I want to point out that at only 100 rooms, I don't think the Starcruiser impacts any of what this conversation has morphed into at all so we are way, way, way off the point of this thread but because I never know when to shut up and move along I present you with the following word-vomit:

I feel like you may be trying to debate me on a point I was never trying to make.

I'm not sure how far back you were following the conversation the post you initially replied to (which was 50% joking*) came from but I was never trying to say that Disney building up their resorts was the whole problem with overcrowding.

What I was saying was that seeing them build up their DVC specifically like crazy over the last 15-20 years (but yes, also resorts in general) while not only neglecting to also increase attraction capacity as they saw attendance continuing to rise in their parks but in fact, decreasing it in many ways over the span of time was something that ticked me off.

Disney's been cool with building more rooms and running huge marketing campaigns in an effort to attract more guests specifically to their property* for the last two decades but hasn't been nearly so eager to maintain and add to the parks which are the sole reason most would choose to stay on their property rather than the plentiful supply of other places to stay that offer better prices and better amenities if you're not on a Disney-centric trip.

Do you remember Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean being a wonderful near-walk-on during most non-spring break and non-Christmas-Break visits?

I sure do.

What happened to that?

Speaking of non-Disney-centric, have you seen how much Universal and Sea World have not only updated but added in the last 20 years in their theme parks? I'll say this much - it's been a whole lot more than cupcakes and after-hour up-charges.

*Except for the polar bears. I was deadly serious about the polar bears. Sure, when their white fur isn't soaked in the blood of their victims they can seem cute but look up some facts about them.

They're total a-holes, unlike you who, although I may not completely agree with, seem to be a totally delightful alien. ;)

**I feel like your suggestion that the primary thing preventing more people from staying in Disney resorts while visiting the Orlando area is due to an apparent lack of rooms suffers from a bit of perspective bias, which I'm guessing is in part from you being a big Disney fan (who isn't or at least wasn't around here, right?) but also from coming from the U.K. and taking two week trips which are both double the domestic average and also much harder to plan. That said, I was never trying to argue against most of the the points you're making with that here.
I agree we’ve somehow strayed way off the StarCruiser here. And I agree with much of what you say.

So this alien will now focus on the more on topic matters at hand. Like a StarCruiser with no pool - quelle horreur! j/k 😁

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Based on the sample itinerary, the entire experience clocks in at 45 hours. After subtracting off 8 hours for sleeping each night and about 4.5 hours on Batuu, there are only 24-and-a-half hours aboard the Starcruiser. Disney most likely bought the good screens/projection systems for this so light shouldn't be an issue. I'm barking at the price for limited exclusive content more than anything.

If you are wasting 8 hours sleeping there, that's your problem. ;)

OceanBlue

actually not as expensive as I thought for a family of 4. But those cabins are really not looking so great to me. Maybe 2 nights on board and then a week's stay in a villa after
I would want to stay on after as well, and wonder with a 10 am departure on day 3 what we would do until our next check in if we wanted to relax and transition experiences.

nickys

Premium Member
I would want to stay on after as well, and wonder with a 10 am departure on day 3 what we would do until our next check in if we wanted to relax and transition experiences.
You could check in, leave your bags at Bell Services and then either head to the parks or chill at the resort. Pack swimming stuff in a day bag for easy retrieval.

You can check in any time after about 5am, you’re just unlikely to have a room until later.

I’m hoping if we did this in the middle of our stay that our first resort might hold our luggage for us for the two nights, so we could just take what we need with us.

Disstevefan1

All the benefits described above are all outcomes of business process optimization. The outcomes are in pursuit of the goal in reducing costs to the lowest possible while maintaining or increasing price therefore inflating margin from both ends. In an inflationary environment, this will only maintain margin. This activity is undertaken when your product is felt to be a high volume commodity not a unique mass customized product.

My company went through this exercise last November by cutting heads. Now we are stretched thinner, lost intellectual fire power, and structurally more fragile, less able to respond to rapid change than before November.
It’s hard to tell at this moment how much, or if, TWDC has lost institutional knowledge anywhere, including the parks. I have seen companies lay off permanent talent to rehire them as a consultant to retain that knowledge then rehire as permanent when the time is right fiscally.

One thing we have seen, TWDC can change things relatively quickly, and they do.

Last edited:

Incomudro

It's not a luxury experience, which is one of the things I pointed out a long time ago when the room illustrations were shown, and the first price speculations were floated about.
This is a lot of money to spend when compared to just about anything else you'd get at a similar price.
Anything else at a similar price would bring luxury and pampering.
This is cold, stark, plastic and fiberglass.
Yes, we get the whole experience which is something we've never seen before - and hopefully it's done very well.
I question the audience for this.
Well off Star Wars "geek" couples?
Well off families with kids, who are willing to sacrifice big sums of money for the sake of their kids?
We'll see how long that model is sustainable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom