News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

techgeek

This is a multi day role playing experience for the whole family.

As a cruise among the stars, in a galaxy far far away.

It's an ACTIVITY - just one you stay at overnight as well until it's over.

It’s a show.

its not a typical hotel, its almost like a cruise on land. but cruise ships have pools too

It's really an attraction. It's just one that lasts for more than a day, includes food/lodging, and requires a separate reservation/ticket.

It's an "experience"

It’s not a hotel

It's an attraction that you get to sleep in.

The fact that we as informed fans with insider information can’t figure out what exactly this is thing is supposed to be means that TWDC is going to have a massive issue marketing and providing an experience that meets the expectations of the target audience.

I predict there’s going to be lots of test and adjust and teething pains in the first few months of operation until it finds its groove. Maybe even some significant adjustments to concept and infrastructure.

It's not supposed to be a place for people to go on a normal WDW trip.

I think that’s a pretty big issue, considering where it’s located. Perhaps this would have played better on the west coast?

TikibirdLand

It's an attraction that you get to sleep in.
Seems to me, it will be the Star Wars version of Cinderella Castle. "Wouldn't it be cool to live like Cinderella for a day?" translates to "Wouldn't it be cool to live in ROTR for a day?". I'll be watching for experience videos from the "influencers" who will surely make this look like the "must do" trip.

jinx8402

As far as, how do you keep people from booking it thinking it is a standard hotel? The URL for the Star Cruiser is listed under Destinations. So it will be treated like others in that sub category - Water Parks, NBA Experience etc. It will not come up when searching for hotels, and will not come up if you do a search for availability on the dates you want to book a vacation.

_caleb

The fact that we as informed fans with insider information can’t figure out what exactly this is thing is supposed to be means that TWDC is going to have a massive issue marketing and providing an experience that meets the expectations of the target audience.

I predict there’s going to be lots of test and adjust and teething pains in the first few months of operation until it finds its groove. Maybe even some significant adjustments to concept and infrastructure.

I think that’s a pretty big issue, considering where it’s located. Perhaps this would have played better on the west coast?
See, I think we know exactly what it is. The list of descriptions you’ve included are just examples of us trying to “translate” for the people who keep dropping into this thread asking why there isn’t a pool or why the shuttle won’t take them to Epcot.

People have pre-existing categories for understanding things like this. “Hotel” and “resort” are the wrong categories. “Show,” “attraction,” “role-playing game,” and “experience“ are better categories for it.

BTW, escape rooms have had to deal with these misconceptions too. They seem to have sorted it out just fine.

techgeek

See, I think we know exactly what it is. The list of descriptions you’ve included are just examples of us trying to “translate” for the people who keep dropping into this thread asking why there isn’t a pool or why the shuttle won’t take them to Epcot.

People have pre-existing categories for understanding things like this. “Hotel” and “resort” are the wrong categories. “Show,” “attraction,” “role-playing game,” and “experience“ are better categories for it.

BTW, escape rooms have had to deal with these misconceptions too. They seem to have sorted it out just fine.

My issue with show / attraction / role playing game / experience framing is the length of experience. None of those things (including escape rolmsast more than a few hours, or involve sleeping on the set.

‘Cruise’ remains the best analogy, and one that people can probably identify with from an experience standpoint - but it seems there’s going to still be a difference of expectation between this and a ‘normal’ cruise experience, since on normal cruises you don’t hang out on the bridge and get boarded by invaders. How scripted and ‘on rails’ the whole 2 days is may matter greatly to guests. Control it too tightly and you get pushback, keep is loose and people are board and complain there’s not enough to do.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As far as, how do you keep people from booking it thinking it is a standard hotel? The URL for the Star Cruiser is listed under Destinations. So it will be treated like others in that sub category - Water Parks, NBA Experience etc. It will not come up when searching for hotels, and will not come up if you do a search for availability on the dates you want to book a vacation.
Make guests call to book. Let CMs inform them / screen them...

I'm sure the sign up for this is going to have a lot of warning screens you have to check thru, if not having to call to reserve and a CM running thru all the caveats.

Thank-you for your interest in staying aboard the Halcyon! Before we schedule a stay, I have some details of the event to go over with you:

The Halcyon is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

You mean I can't go to the Magic Kingdom if I wanted?​

The expectation is that you're signing up for two days of Star Wars role-playing and events and you will not leave that experience for any other destination. No one will force you to stay in the hotel, but if you chose to leave, you will have to call a transportation service to leave and return at your own expense.

I thought this was just a Disney hotel?​

It is not. It is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that there will be no transportation provided to you or your party from the hotel to any other destination in Walt Disney World or outside of Walt Disney World during your stay?

OK, I guess I do now.​

Do you understand the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

They're going to pretend they're Star Wars characters?​

Yes. This is a three-day, two-night role-playing experience that takes place entirely within the hotel building with two trips to Galaxy's Edge in Disney Hollywood Studios. Do you understand that the experience includes Cast Members taking on the roles of people who inhabit the Star Wars universe and they will act in character as such for the entirety of your stay, including meals and all the events that will be available to all guests during your stay?

OK, I do now.​

Do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

You mean I gotta pretend, too?​

No, you don't, but we're encouraging you to, and hoping you'll find it a fun experience for you and your party. So, do you understand that the experience greatly encourages all guests to also take on the role as if they were living in the Star Wars universe including dressing-up as such, if you wish, and participating in all group activities as such?

OK, I do now. At least if I don't like it, I can spend the entire time by the pool.​

There is no pool.

Ya know... this isn't for me, thank-you for your time.​

Sorry to hear that, is there anything else I can help you with today?

No.​

Have a magical day.

peter11435

I don’t see how anyone claiming to be an “informed fan” can have any difficulty understanding what this will be They’ve been pretty consistent with messaging and people should know what to expect. The problem is that people seem to be pushing their desire for it to be something other than what it is.

This is not a hotel. It’s not interchangeable with pop century or boardwalk. This can be part of a larger WDW vacation like adding on a short cruise, it could be someone’s entire vacation if they want, but it’s not their accommodations during a WDW visit. This is a premium experience

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
Make guests call to book. Let CMs inform them / screen them...
If I were in charge, I would not even list it as a hotel/accommodation on the Disney web site. Instead, I would list it as an experience, similar to tours. But, booking that experience would have some options that need to be selected by the guest (ie room type). Plus, the notes for the experience would be much more detailed, noting included meals, duration, activities, room options, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I were in charge, I would not even list it as a hotel/accommodation on the Disney web site. Instead, I would list it as an experience, similar to tours. But, booking that experience would have some options that need to be selected by the guest (ie room type). Plus, the notes for the experience would be much more detailed, noting included meals, duration, activities, room options, etc.

It's easy... 'Adventures by Disney' is a model they can already follow. As you say, people go through an agent to ensure proper expectations are set.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How scripted and ‘on rails’ the whole 2 days is may matter greatly to guests. Control it too tightly and you get pushback, keep is loose and people are board and complain there’s not enough to do.

And that's the prime reason you keep it short - less opportunity for 'dead time' -> boredom.

I think given the duration unless you are a stick in the mud this isn't going to be a problem. People are CHOOSING to be there, so at least if they aren't doing it for themselves, they are doing it for someone in their party.

Disney already set the expectation they aren't going to lock customers on rails for the experience. The cruise ships have similar formats... several locked-in agenda items, other free-form activities, and other self-paced things. Between meals and 'events' people are probably far more likely to be rushed than bored. This is the same as the short cruises... by the time you get through the essentials, you have little time to even see everything else.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Nope - because what we are dealing with here is UNinformed fans dropping in and asking... not the informed. Marketing sets this, and right now Disney hasn't set the full marketing structure in place, so the uninformed still float around a bit. You fix that with information when it's ready.

The way it was first presented - you could have thought it was anywhere. Like the DisneyQuest model... only once they introduced the Batuu excursions was the experience tied to WDW property. But being able to tie it to a major destination likes this avoids the whole "is it worth it to make a trip?" debate. You don't have to make a trip just for this anymore... and Disney doesn't have to build them everywhere.

Incomudro

I believe most of us understand what it is, and what it's intentions are quite well.
There are just a couple of people who make the same contrary statements over and over again.

corran horn

And that's the prime reason you keep it short - less opportunity for 'dead time' -> boredom.

I think given the duration unless you are a stick in the mud this isn't going to be a problem. People are CHOOSING to be there, so at least if they aren't doing it for themselves, they are doing it for someone in their party.

Disney already set the expectation they aren't going to lock customers on rails for the experience. The cruise ships have similar formats... several locked-in agenda items, other free-form activities, and other self-paced things. Between meals and 'events' people are probably far more likely to be rushed than bored. This is the same as the short cruises... by the time you get through the essentials, you have little time to even see everything else.
But what if I want to swim? 😈

Mr. Moderate

I'm sure that what Disney is going to do and I imagine they will sell this as an VIP type experience, and that's what it is, separately from their resorts and not list it with their other properties. I'm sure whoever has the deep pockets enough to do this, will be informed by the agent booking this experience on what to expect and how it differs from staying at any other Disney resort.

Book it at this at the start of your very expensive vacation, stay your two days and immerse your family in the Star Wars experience at HS, then check out and move to another Disney resort to finish a traditional WDW vacation. That's the way I see it being done.

jinx8402

I'm sure that what Disney is going to do and I imagine they will sell this as an VIP type experience, and that's what it is, separately from their resorts and not list it with their other properties. I'm sure whoever has the deep pockets enough to do this, will be informed by the agent booking this experience on what to expect and how it differs from staying at any other Disney resort.

Book it at this at the start of your very expensive vacation, stay your two days and immerse your family in the Star Wars experience at HS, then check out and move to another Disney resort to finish a traditional WDW vacation. That's the way I see it being done.
Like I mentioned above, the sub category that the starcruiser is under is destinations and not resorts. It is not considered an accommodation and will not come up in the standard way when searching for resorts for rooms/packages.

https://disneyworld.disney.go(dot com)/destinations/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser/

vs

https://disneyworld.disney.go(dot com)/resorts/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom