News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

corran horn

Disney can do what it wants. It built the ride, they’re free to tear it down and put up whatever. And they can charge $1 or $1,000 for the experience of visiting for a day. I don’t care. What I do care is they try and have it both ways, on the one hand signaling that they’re open to making “everyone” feel welcome when general admission is out of reach for most and certain experiences unattainable for the great majority.
My personal favorite are the commercials that act like the only reason people haven't gone to Disney is because they haven't heard of it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Politics aside, I think that there's been an expectation that once you pay for admission to a theme park, you basically have the same opportunity for experience as every other paying customer. Sure, you can pay extra for food or photos or whatever, but none of the attractions themselves require further payment.

I’ve been watching parks charging for individual experiences since the 90s. Not as much as much at disney... but this is not a new concept.

Second, this experience we are talking about here isnt even the theme park. This is something disney put at its orlando property

MrPromey

Politics aside, I think that there's been an expectation that once you pay for admission to a theme park, you basically have the same opportunity for experience as every other paying customer. Sure, you can pay extra for food or photos or whatever, but none of the attractions themselves require further payment.

Galaxy's Edge is right on the edge of breaking that expectation, IMO--many of the attractions involve an upcharge or are actually just straight-up shopping.* There really isn't much that you can do if you're not willing to spend money on top of admission. The hotel just makes the situation that much more obvious.

* Yeah, there's Rise, but it's currently difficult to access even at its most reliable.

I liked your comment so to be clear, this isn't an argument against what you're saying but in the Orlando area, specifically, I would point out that Disney wasn't the first to cross this line.

For as awesome as the Harry Potter lands at Universal are, a major component of those lands which adds a lot in the way of unique interactivity is the wands (which themselves are a straight-up shopping experience much like the droid and light sabers are) which I'd say take it a step further because the difference for kids between the haves and the have-nots is very apparent when you're a kid with a wand that can make stuff happen vs. a kid who has to stand there and wait for a kid with a wand to come make stuff happen.

Also, lets not forget the "train" ride between the two parts. It's a wonderful experience that doubles as attraction and transportation but it's only available to pass-holders and people who have two-park tickets.

I've seen a lot of people turned away from that experience in my time there when getting to the ticket scanners that look both confused and disappointed.

On the other hand, I can see the argument that we got this big new land (at Disney) that basically has five new interactive things to do (the two rides, the droid build, the saber build, and the cantina) with only two available with just park admission so yeah, Disney did this major expansion - largest in their history as they like to say which is going to bring to mind complete lands at other parks like the MK and unless you're into up-charges, that's just two new attractions which... doesn't feel like the "largest expansion in Disney history", does it?

Not saying I agree that should be cool or we should all be happy about that but again, Disney's not the first one to break the ice on the up-charge being part of the expected "standard" experience.

... Although, they might be the one who's marketing doesn't quite align with reality, the most.

Of course, I've been saying that since their Super Bowl commercial to advertise the then upcoming opening of Toy Story Land. Remember, all the hype in that linked video featuring mostly excited adults was for a carnival ride and a mediocre kid's coaster they barely even showed any of because... well, reality wasn't going to help with that marketing effort.

Last edited:

kingdead

I liked your comment so to be clear, this isn't an argument against what you're saying but in the Orlando area, specifically, I would point out that Disney wasn't the first to cross this line.

For as awesome as the Harry Potter lands are, a major component of those lands which adds a lot in the way of unique interactivity is the wands (which themselves are a straight-up shopping experience much like the droid and light sabers are) which I'd say take it a step further because the difference for kids between the haves and the have-nots is very apparent when you're a kid with a wand that can make stuff happen vs. a kid who has to stand there and wait for a kid with a wand to come make stuff happen.
Oh yeah, that's annoying as well. But there's still three or four rides that you can access without a further charge (depending on whether Hagrid's is working). If you miss out on the Rise lottery at Galaxy's Edge, there's only one attraction left that doesn't involve a reservation and further payment.

That and, while that wand stuff is diabolical, I could definitely see HAVING to do it for my kids because it actually improves the park experience and it's only $25 more than the regular wand, etc. I'm sure the upcharge experiences in Galaxy's Edge are fun, but they don't actually change your interaction with the rest of the park when you're done.

corran horn

I’ve been watching parks charging for individual experiences since the 90s. Not as much as much at disney... but this is not a new concept.
Once you could pay more for 'expanded' FastPass+ options (including staying at a Disney Resort giving you even more scheduling time) the through-the-gate experience for guests stopped being flat.

To be fair, I believe Universal (at least in FL) did that first with Express Pass.

MrPromey

Oh yeah, that's annoying as well. But there's still three or four rides that you can access without a further charge (depending on whether Hagrid's is working). If you miss out on the Rise lottery at Galaxy's Edge, there's only one attraction left that doesn't involve a reservation and further payment.

That and, while that wand stuff is diabolical, I could definitely see HAVING to do it for my kids because it actually improves the park experience and it's only $25 more than the regular wand, etc. I'm sure the upcharge experiences in Galaxy's Edge are fun, but they don't actually change your interaction with the rest of the park when you're done.
Totally agree with all of this.

corran horn

There's interactivity in GE with the land through app that requires a smart device but it's not nearly as visible as the wands.

doctornick

Not that I disagree, but IIRC the droids (if you build one) do interact at places in the land I think. Though since you have to carry them around (instead of letting them roll), it makes it a bit of a hassle.

Also, it was mentioned, but SW:GE does have the app driven missions in the land that are free to anyone (with a smartphone). So, it's something. Do they cause anything kinetic to happen? Or is is all just "changes" on your app?

On the flip side regarding the wands, it's worth pointing out that the initial entry fee of the wands is perhaps high, but they are usable indefinitely including getting a replacement if they stop working. So, for repeat guests, it becomes a more sound and reasonable cost.

mdcpr

This is marketed to SERIOUS SW fans, those wanting a role play experience. Its not aimed at casual looky-loos out for a bit of fun or those that want to gawk at "the nerds" whatever.
The people trying to squeeze 6 into a room configured for 4 and whatnot are not the market. If you've got the money, its for you. If you thinking you can have people sleep on the floor, get Green Grocier to deliver your water and diapers and cereal, etc etc - you are not the target market.

I don't plan to go. I'm not enough of a fan. Arguing about why its priced so high and in general getting ****y at Disney for having this very premium experience is mind boggling stupid.
My husband is a serious SW fan, and would never do this. And he is the perfect target market. Early 40s, disposable income for experiences, Uber fan. When he went to GE by himself--because he wanted to soak it all in on his own, he didn't think twice about the add-ons pay for experiences, and when I showed this to him, he was not interested at all.

SpoiledBlueMilk

My husband is a serious SW fan, and would never do this. And he is the perfect target market. Early 40s, disposable income for experiences, Uber fan. When he went to GE by himself--because he wanted to soak it all in on his own, he didn't think twice about the add-ons pay for experiences, and when I showed this to him, he was not interested at all.

Of course, for everyone of him, there is one of me - same deal. No kids, disposable income and a massive SW fan. I'd stay for the experience.

FigmentFan82

Of course, for everyone of him, there is one of me - same deal. No kids, disposable income and a massive SW fan. I'd stay for the experience.
Yeah not sure what the previous poster's point was? Just to brag that her husband likes SW but doesn't want to do the SW hotel experience? Great! Have fun not having fun? Lol. More room for people that would enjoy it

MrPromey

Yeah not sure what the previous poster's point was? Just to brag that her husband likes SW but doesn't want to do the SW hotel experience? Great! Have fun not having fun? Lol. More room for people that would enjoy it

I think it all just illustrates how not obvious of a slam dunk this concept is.*

Disney seems to be regarding this as a bit of a test/gamble, themselves, which is probably the wise approach.

There is a huge difference between being a grown adult Star Wars fan who's in the 501st and goes to the Star Wars celebrations and has their own costumes they wear at conventions and stuff (someone most would regard as a "super fan") vs. people who want to play actual pretend for two days with other people being paid to pretend along with them in support of a fantasy.**

How far is Disney going to take it? Will it be far enough for the price without being too far?

Obviously, pricing and exact details on the full experience are going to play a MAJOR role in if this works or doesn't, as is how quick Disney is to adjust the pricing and or the experience if early reviews are not positive.

*It's a new thing. There will be bugs to work out.
Disney doesn't have a good track record of updating things on the regular here in Florida so at this price point will they or will this feel stale in a few of years?
Will the experience be detailed and involved enough to make people feel like it was worth it without feeling like it was too much restriction or hassle? I imagine the sweet spot there is going to be different for everyone and I'm sure that concern over "experience fatigue" is at least part of the reason there is a strict 2-day limitation.
They'll need to test and adjust and I could see the whole thing possibly failing simply because there was no approach they could find that would make everyone in a single group happy which wouldn't be Disney's fault but just an unfortunate limitation of trying to do a large-scale high-end version of controlled "LARPing".

**I know that sounds dismissive of people who are excited to do this. It's not meant to be but for as much as the role-play experice may excite certain fans, it may also be a turn-off to others who find themselves uncomfortable with the reality of it once they're in the middle of it. Talking with Gaston during a meet-and-greet who never breaks character during your 4 minute interaction is one thing. Having everyone around you being like that for 48 hours is another. There's a lot Disney has to get just right to make this a success.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

I think it all just illustrates how not obvious of a slam dunk this concept is.*

Disney seems to be regarding this as a bit of a test/gamble, themselves, which is probably the wise approach.

There is a huge difference between being a grown adult Star Wars fan who's in the 501st and goes to the Star Wars celebrations and has their own costumes they wear at conventions and stuff (someone most would regard as a "super fan") vs. people who want to play actual pretend for two days with other people being paid to pretend along with them in support of a fantasy.**

Obviously, pricing and exact details on the full experience are going to play a MAJOR role in if this works or doesn't, as is how quick Disney is to adjust the pricing and or the experience if early reviews are not positive.

*It's a new thing. There will be bugs to work out.
Disney doesn't have a good track record of updating things on the regular here in Florida so at this price point will they or will this feel stale in a few of years?
Will the experience be detailed and involved enough to make people feel like it was worth it without feeling like it was too much restriction or hassle? I imagine the sweet spot there is going to be different for everyone and I'm sure that concern over "experience fatigue" is at least part of the reason there is a strict 2-day limitation.
They'll need to test and adjust and I could see the whole thing possibly failing simply because there was no approach they could find that would make everyone in a single group happy which wouldn't be Disney's fault but just an unfortunate limitation of trying to do a large-scale high-end version of controlled "LARPing".

**I know that sounds dismissive of people who are excited to do this. It's not meant to be but for as much as the role-play experice may excite certain fans, it may also be a turn-off to others who find themselves uncomfortable with the reality of it once they're in the middle of it. Talking with Gaston during a meet-and-greet who never breaks character during your 4 minute interaction is one thing. Having everyone around you being like that for 48 hours is another. There's a lot Disney has to get just right to make this a success.
Well it is something new and kudos to them for trying something different. I'd have to think a good chunk of how the experience plays out for guests has been worked out already. I mean, you don't invest millions in a boutique LARP hotel and then just wing it on day one. And just like all new things at WDW, we have to wait and see once it's actually open

MrPromey

Well it is something new and kudos to them for trying something different. I'd have to think a good chunk of how the experience plays out for guests has been worked out already. I mean, you don't invest millions in a boutique LARP hotel and then just wing it on day one. And just like all new things at WDW, we have to wait and see once it's actually open
Yes, kudos for trying something different - absolutely.

But to my knowledge, nobody has invested millions on a boutique "LARP" hotel before so how does one plan everything out not knowing what a paying guest's reaction will be to it?

I'm sure they're not just going to "wing it", either, but until they get it up-and-running and have the feedback of of those paying guests, they won't know.

Put it this way - they also paid millions on a new ride concept that well over a year after its originally planned opening, they still haven't managed to get stable expected operation out of, despite most of the elements involved in creating the experience already being proven reliable ride tech.

In the case of the ride, they have to get to that point some day. They don't have much of a choice and if you know the history of Test Track, you'll know this isn't the first time they've found themselves in that position.

In the case of this hotel, I'm sure someone was giving thought to what that building could be repurposed for, if needed, before ground was even broken and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

Yes, kudos for trying something different - absolutely.

But to my knowledge, nobody has invested millions on a boutique "LARP" hotel before so how does one plan everything out not knowing what a paying guest's reaction will be to it?

I'm sure they've planned a lot out, too, but until they get it up-and-running and have the feedback of of those paying guests, they won't know.

Put it this way - they also paid millions on a new ride concept that well over a year after it's originally planned opening, they still haven't managed to get stable expected operation out of, despite most of the elements involved in creating the experience already being proven reliable ride tech.
Actually someone invested millions in a LARP themepark (Evermore) so one could very easily take a look at what kinds of things they do to bring role playing interactivity to a SW guest experience. Many of the unknowns are unknown to us. They know a lot about what they're building

MrPromey

Actually someone invested millions in a LARP themepark (Evermore) so one could very easily take a look at what kinds of things they do to bring role playing interactivity to a SW guest experience. Many of the unknowns are unknown to us. They know a lot about what they're building

I see this is going nowhere.

Apples to oranges.

Suppose there is no point in trying to say there is a difference between a multi-hour and multi day experience and that the price points between these two, the kind of guests they need to attract to hit those price points are potentially two very different crowds, etc.

So if you want to hold onto the idea that this is going to be a slam dunk out of the gate, you do that.*

I think if Disney thought that, this place would be twice as big.

*and to be clear, I'm not arguing that it won't be a huge success from the get-go that will go strong without needing serous tweaking for a decade or more to come but I woudn't compare what Disney appears doing with this resort in Florida to a seasonal weekend-only attraction with daily admission in Utah.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

I see this is going nowhere.

Apples to oranges.

Suppose there is no point in trying to say there is a difference between a multi-hour and multi day experience and that the price points between these two, the kind of guests they need to attract to hit those price points are potentially two very different crowds, etc.

So if you want to hold onto the idea that this is going to be a slam dunk out of the gate, you do that.

I think if Disney thought that, this place would be twice as big.
Who said anything about slam dunks (just you using that phrase)
I'm just curious as to the doom and gloom of it all that you seem to be peddling.
And I'm saying, let's wait and see what it's like when it opens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom