News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The site which cannot be named has posted some ground level pictures of the hotel and you can clearly see glass windows in the openings in the wall of the rooms. Still not sure what is going on with these. Even if they decided to give the guests the option to break the immersion and uncover a window in their room, the one side of the building just looks out on the support building that is next to the hotel.

Communicora

Premium Member
The site which cannot be named has posted some ground level pictures of the hotel and you can clearly see glass windows in the openings in the wall of the rooms. Still not sure what is going on with these. Even if they decided to give the guests the option to break the immersion and uncover a window in their room, the one side of the building just looks out on the support building that is next to the hotel.
They could be required for egress?

dmw

In the Parks
No
From https://fsulawrc.com/1963to70FAC/FlaAdminCode1963_45_175OCR.pdf
Every building (other than buildings of Type VI, Wood Frame Construction) shall have approved three-fourths (%,) hour minimum fire windows, fire doors, or other approved protectives in every opening in the exterior side and/or rear walls, under the following conditions: 1. In buildings three (3) stories or less in height protection shall be required where the distance is six (6) feet or less from the side and/or rear property lines, except property lines fronting public open spaces. 2. In buildings four (4) stories or more in height protection shall be required where the distance is less than two (2) feet per floor from the side and/or rear property line except property lines fronting public open spaces up to a maximum of fifteen (15) feet. 3. In buildings where such opening is above and less than six (6) feet distance from any front of a neighboring roof

So, perhaps the windows are required by code? It will be interesting to see how these are handled in the rooms...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From https://fsulawrc.com/1963to70FAC/FlaAdminCode1963_45_175OCR.pdf
Every building (other than buildings of Type VI, Wood Frame Construction) shall have approved three-fourths (%,) hour minimum fire windows, fire doors, or other approved protectives in every opening in the exterior side and/or rear walls, under the following conditions: 1. In buildings three (3) stories or less in height protection shall be required where the distance is six (6) feet or less from the side and/or rear property lines, except property lines fronting public open spaces. 2. In buildings four (4) stories or more in height protection shall be required where the distance is less than two (2) feet per floor from the side and/or rear property line except property lines fronting public open spaces up to a maximum of fifteen (15) feet. 3. In buildings where such opening is above and less than six (6) feet distance from any front of a neighboring roof

So, perhaps the windows are required by code? It will be interesting to see how these are handled in the rooms...

I don't believe that is a requirement to have windows, but instead means that under certain conditions if there is a window it must be fire rated. I think I did find a relevant section in the same document:

" 2001.2 Windows for living areas.-Every living area shall have one or more windows opening to the outside of the building, air shafts or courts, and the top of such windows shall be not more than two (2) feet below the ceiling. The net window ventilation area shall not be less than 15 % of the floor area of the room, including the area of every recess or alcove. Air-'conditioned or mechanically ventilated living areas may have window ventilation area reduced to 5% of the floor area. "

techgeek

I don't believe that is a requirement to have windows, but instead means that under certain conditions if there is a window it must be fire rated. I think I did find a relevant section in the same document:

They could be required for egress?

Residential building code requires every habitable space to have emergency escape or rescue options, as linked below. The relevant code applying here would be in Reedy Creek's 2015 revision of the 'EPCOT building code', which as far as I'm aware is not readily publicly available... but I'm pretty confidant you can't make a sleeping room with only a single door opening in the walls and have it be legal to code. There has to be another way for firefighters to create emergency egress from the room, likely required to be to outside. So, from a life safety standpoint, every room would have to have an emergency door or a window that could be easily broken.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Residential building code requires every habitable space to have emergency escape or rescue options, as linked below. The relevant code applying here would be in Reedy Creek's 2015 revision of the 'EPCOT building code', which as far as I'm aware is not readily publicly available... but I'm pretty confidant you can't make a sleeping room with only a single door opening in the walls and have it be legal to code. There has to be another way for firefighters to create emergency egress from the room, likely required to be to outside. So, from a life safety standpoint, every room would have to have an emergency door or a window that could be easily broken.

That makes sense. The windows seem to be consistent with the measurements specified in the code, so they made them only as big as they needed to be.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Want even more 'why??' things that don't make sense from usage? Government Secure facilities that aren't allowed to have windows but the entire building has windows :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.55.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.55.01 PM.png
    826.4 KB · Views: 157

Incomudro

Ok, they're being realistic about that--good sign!

I just don't think there are that many people willing to pay for a fully structured fan experience AND I'm not sure if Disney has the capacity to provide value for money for those who do (they need to provide really skilled entertainers and actors to make this more than a really, really themed hotel and it seems like the company is moving in the opposite direction in terms of hiring). It's less asking for chicken nuggets at the Chinese restaurant than opening one of those restaurants that serves gold-leaf organic Wagyu chicken nuggets plated for Instagram and expecting it to last more than two months.

But I'm really interested to see what happens when it opens! I could be super wrong.
I haven't seen anything that says ones stay must be fully structured.
The option to have it fully structured is probably there - hack, your average Disney stay is quite rigidly structured.
But I'm sure you can opt out of or into whatever you want to or can afford.
The only part that I believe will essentially unbreakable (outside of emergencies) is your entrance to "boarding" and trip to the Starcruiser, and your trips to and from Batu.
Otherwise, I'm certain you could lock yourself in the room all day, or stay in the lounge all day.

Aries1975

As a kid, when I saw Return of the Jedi on the big screen of the drive-in, I thought Jabba was on his species' equivalent to supplemental oxygen. It was explained to me much later what this particular kind of vaporizer could also do.

d95ra33-ff6daacb-b9a2-4fa7-90f6-535c58be30c5.jpg

GimpYancIent

Real cruise ships have an outdoor area where smoking is allowed. Who knows if Disney will include something like that. Given Disney's non-smoking policy in the Parks, I don't think accommodating the smokers is high on their to-do list.

The Star Wars universe is vast. Beyond the movies, there are tv shows, cartoons, books, comic books, video games, etc. There is a ton of potential ideas for cool things that people would love. Plus Disney has seen the popularity of Star Wars at Sea elements of their cruises. If the role-playing aspect loses favor, I'm sure they can pare down with activities they have already established.

(Also the movie Passengers sucks.)
Uhhhhhh, just curious but if (theoretically) one is in space how do you step outside for a smoke? I thought the concept was be enveloped, immersed, in this fantasy voyage. Just a thought.

GimpYancIent

As a kid, when I saw Return of the Jedi on the big screen of the drive-in, I thought Jabba was on his species' equivalent to supplemental oxygen. It was explained to me much later what this particular kind of vaporizer could also do.

View attachment 505421
Maybe Jaba had something with the hookah idea. It would be interesting as what ever you are smoking gets filtered through the liquid.

Aries1975

Maybe Jaba had something with the hookah idea. It would be interesting as what ever you are smoking gets filtered through the liquid.

In general, smoking on a spaceship would be a bad idea. A fire in space is the stuff that keep engineers awake at night. However, this is "play" and as we all have scene the Star Wars universe is not a "clean" utopia where everyone plays nice.

Several cruise ships (not Disney) offer cigar lounges. There are going to be passengers who smoke cigarettes who will need to be accommodated within the simulation. A cosmic hookah lounge would be in theme. Therefore, question becomes will they invest in the appropriate HVAC for an enclosed interior room or will this be a glorified screened balcony subject to the outdoor temperature? More importantly, like the cantina, will there be fun stuff to try?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom