News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Bairstow

I'm wondering if the more unique parts pitched concerning SW:GE will only be for participants of this experience? With the several thousand+ visiting GE during the day the amount of personalization per person will be limited when it comes to interacting with various characters in the land (if nothing else than due to time per person). Toss 400 people in the area for a few hours and suddenly haggling over undisplayed goods, being wanted by a bounty hunter or the First Order, etc. makes more sense operationally.

I don't see this as likely. This would be asking park ops to concede too much power to whatever management team is in charge of the Star Wars resort. People in power would be too protective of "their yard".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if DVC members will be able to use points here or if it'll be separate thing since it's all inclusive experiences? What if they did a DVC portion, man I could imagine people paying big money for that.

It is not DVC. Has never been pitched as DVC, never will be. DVC is about accommodations. This is about attending a multiple-day event which happens to give you a place to sleep for the night.

Has to have a gym at least. I can manage on a treadmill for a couple of days. Not ideal since I'd rather run outside in the FL mornings, but as long as something is offered. Obviously you can break the immersion and run outside, but in this case the 'outdoor area' of the resort is going to be pretty limited.

All deluxes (and I think every moderate) have a gym. Treadmills for the runners. [Yes, they don't lock you in, but if you're spending several hours running around instead of enjoying the entertainment you paid $2,000 for, you're crazy.]

Costumes will be offered, but surely not mandatory... What's stopping people from dressing like this the whole time?

cosplay_phxcc-480x220.png

When you get people who try to derail your role-playing world, you just treat them as simpletons.

"I'm very the planet Vulcan."

"I've never heard of that planet. Is it in the uncharted galactic edge?"

"No, it's in a different galaxy."

"That's funny. No one has intergalactic transportation technology."

"But I am."

"Maybe you need to see a doctor. You're talking nonsense."

21stamps

Are people actually saying that you will be totally enclosed for 3 complete days?
No view of the outside the entire time, and not even a pool?
I think there has to be a pool.

Maeryk

I don't see this as likely. This would be asking park ops to concede too much power to whatever management team is in charge of the Star Wars resort. People in power would be too protective of "their yard".

I don't see an issue with it. If it's based on the already provided park interactions that they hinted at with the Falcon ride, and your magic band identifying you for "special treatment" this would just be a wing of that. I doubt it's going to be different each time. I suspect these will be a thing you only need to do once. The scripting won't be obvious, but it will be there. You are likely (at least a first) going to get the same "adventure" each stay. So it would simply need to be certain interactions in the parks, that are fairly generic, but only apply to guests at that particular resort.

Kamikaze

It would be exceedingly impractical from an operations standpoint for the entire resort to check in and check out on same day. They're already going to have to use software to coordinate smaller guest experiences, so it would likewise be practical to have multiple "waves" of guests experiencing different days of their experience at the same time.

The number of rooms is going to be low. So yes, its perfectly practical.

Maeryk

Are people actually saying that you will be totally enclosed for 3 complete days?
No view of the outside the entire time, and not even a pool?
I think there has to be a pool.

It's not a hotel. It's star tours for two days or whatever. I doubt this is a "relax and lounge by the pool" concept. It's a keep moving and keep doing concept. I dunno, but more and more, it looks like it's going to be more or less scripted and you will be gently herded along their plan.

For teh cost of the stay there, I can buy my OWN pool. LOL.

durangojim

It would be exceedingly impractical from an operations standpoint for the entire resort to check in and check out on same day. They're already going to have to use software to coordinate smaller guest experiences, so it would likewise be practical to have multiple "waves" of guests experiencing different days of their experience at the same time.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Going back to the Disney Cruise Line model, They turn around the Dream twice a week with everyone off by 9am and everyone on and available to access their stateroom by early afternoon. Not sure why this would be any different and for Disney probably easier because they could add or take away supplies daily.

21stamps

It is not DVC. Has never been pitched as DVC, never will be. DVC is about accommodations. This is about attending a multiple-day event which happens to give you a place to sleep for the night.

All deluxes (and I think every moderate) have a gym. Treadmills for the runners. [Yes, they don't lock you in, but if you're spending several hours running around instead of enjoying the entertainment you paid $2,000 for, you're crazy.]

When you get people who try to derail your role-playing world, you just treat them as simpletons.

"I'm very the planet Vulcan."

"I've never heard of that planet. Is it in the uncharted galactic edge?"

"No, it's in a different galaxy."

"That's funny. No one has intergalactic transportation technology."

"But I am."

"Maybe you need to see a doctor. You're talking nonsense."

Totally agree with @Kamikaze, people will want a gym, and a pool. There will not be activities scheduled 24 hours per day. I also prefer to run outside, but can deal with a treadmill for a few days.

I think some people here are taking this to extreme nerd level.lol. Seriously. There will be times where people can work out...and hopefully swim.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Disney could make it work, but if there's a more efficient or cheaper way to do it, they won't. Why create logistics challenges on purpose?

If we assume the default experience is a 2 or 3 day cycle, and various parts of the cycle need to be as intimate as possible, requiring multiple redundant rooms and/or cast members, the most efficient way to handle this is to have multiple groups of people moving through the experience at different intervals. This will be true whether or not the different days of the experience tell a sequential narrative or not.

I've participated in MLARP (m is for massive) at role-playing conventions as a participant and as part of the crew running the event. You do not have everyone have the same experience. You have multiple groups and teams and give them different, even contradictory goals.

One group has to hide the fact that a passenger is really a senator. Another group is being paid by a bounty hunter to discover the identity of a senator traveling incognito. One group is given the task of moving contraband around without Imperial officers noticing. Another group is given the task of finding the thief that stole a queen's necklace. Another group has to find a bomb. Etc...

durangojim

Totally agree with @Kamikaze, people will want a gym, and a pool. There will not be activities scheduled 24 hours per day. I also prefer to run outside, but can deal with a treadmill for a few days.

I think some people here are taking this to extreme nerd level.lol. Seriously. There will be times where people can work out...and hopefully swim.
I'm sure both will be available. Do people in the Star Wars universe not swim or workout? We never see them poop either, but that doesn't mean there won't be bathrooms.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

You're paying for the nerd experience. If you don't want it, find other accommodations.

21stamps

We don't know if it will be three days. Original survey said two.

Pools can be indoor.

Yes.. that was my whole GWL comparison. It's the only time I have ever stayed inside for 3 days without walking outdoors.. but the pool area make it feel like you are.
Without a pool it would be creepy to be indoors for 3, or even 2 days.

Kamikaze

I can see Disney doing it like so: "Shuttle departs for StarCruiser at 4:00 PM." (your rooms will be ready at 4). "If you arrive before the departure time, you are welcome to wait in our lounge". (Just like if you show up at Poly at 7 am coming off a redeye from somewhere, and your room won't be ready till 2 or whatever the check in time is).

So it's not hard to believe they could do that. It's going to throw a monkey wrench in the plans of people who like to plan every day to their spec, though, if Disney does a "Bookings are available mon-tues, wed-thus fri-sat , etc, but its' a bit niche, so has probably been worked out, at least on paper, how they can keep everything organized and more or less keep the cats herded onto their schedule.

The cruise ship analogy is good to a point.. but the ship just offers you passive entertainment, it's your responsibility to show up and and take advantage of it. This is active, and too many people deciding to lounge in their rooms might effect the immersion.

There's a different problem here though:
If you are staying at Poly and get there early, you can go visit a park and come back at any time to go to your room.
If you're doing this, you don't want to miss your time with the experience, so you aren't going to go to the park from say 11-3 and waste a park ticket/day since when you come back to the 'ship', you'll then be entered into the bubble. Thats why I think there will be an off day between 'voyages'. Then the arriving guests' rooms would be ready at any point after they arrive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom