News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

nickys

Premium Member
If indeed the case, what happens if the guest decides they aren't having much fun (I know, blasphemy) and want to do something else? They are stranded?

Someone will insist leaving mid-way, for any number of reasons (even if just because someone tells them they can't), and I'm sure Disney has accounted for such instances.

If they arrived by car, they can use their car.

They could just walk to the DHS bus station and pick up a bus.

Or use the bridge to SW:GE and go out the front of DHS? Depends if that's only accessible at certain times I guess.

Missing20K

What is wrong with you?

So you know this is just discussion.

When someone discusses what is likely to happen, you complain you want official answers, which no one here can give you.

When pointed out to you, you say, "yeah, know it's just discussion, can I have discussion?"

But you dismissed discussion because it wasn't 'official,' and ask for more discussion.

And if someone else gives you an answer you don't like, will you attack that one for not being official?

I guess I was laying it on too thick. I wasn’t asking for “official” answers and never said such. I guess my choice of words for “what Disney will actually in fact do” was too strong. I was more asking what anyone else besides you, maybe even someone known as an “insider” here, may have had to say about the topic.

But keep berating people for asking a simple question. I’m sure that’s fun.

Missing20K

Or use the bridge to SW:GE and go out the front of DHS? Depends if that's only accessible at certain times I guess.

Thank your for your thoughtful pleasant reply.

I wondered too about the access of the bridge. If it will be open at all times to wander back and forth or if it’s only open during certain times within the narrative.

nickys

Premium Member
Thank your for your thoughtful pleasant reply.

I wondered too about the access of the bridge. If it will be open at all times to wander back and forth or if it’s only open during certain times within the narrative.

To be fair, after re-reading his post, all I said was pretty much what @MisterPenguin said. ;)

But as for access to SW:GE, a couple of people with some knowledge about the original plans have suggested it will only be at certain times. At least one person has suggested it would only be at the end of the "journey". However the topic has been much debated, with views ranging from "pretty much anytime access and/or extra EMH exclusive access" to "totally restricted" and everything in between!

Missing20K

To be fair, after re-reading his post, all I said was pretty much what @MisterPenguin said. ;)

But as for access to SW:GE, a couple of people with some knowledge about the original plans have suggested it will only be at certain times. At least one person has suggested it would only be at the end of the "journey". However the topic has been much debated, with views ranging from "pretty much anytime access and/or extra EMH exclusive access" to "totally restricted" and everything in between!

And yet you did it in such a way as to not demean me. Neat!

I also wondered about “front door” entry and exit. Won’t it break the narrative to have some people just mosey in and out as they please? Or will they have to go through the “port” each time to leave the property?

Missing20K

What will happen is all doors will be guarded by Stormtroopers, if you try to leave you will be told to go back to your staterooms, if you refuse you will be shot as enemies of the First Order. Nice and tidy and no immersion broken ;)

Now this I like! Perhaps even be sold to be a slave of Jaba!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Jabba is dead, didn't you see Return of the Jedi :p Also this isn't designed to be a come and go place, Disney pitched it as a fully immersive "cruise" where you are flying to Batuu and everything that happens during that time is inside the ship. I am sure they will have something on the description stating that this isn't a hotel with the usual facilities like a pool etc but is a contained experience. I am guessing part of what the void has been doing could be a test for part of the experience here.

mmascari

Where do you see a bridge to SW:GE?

All I see in the pictures posted is a bridge to the back of the DHS parking lot. Plus some sidewalks to the DHS parking lot. I don’t see any direct access to SW:GE yet. Unless we’re calling walking through the DHS parking lot just like people that parked there to the main DHS entrance “direct access”.

Plus, I see a bus loop right out front of the hotel structure. No indication of its use, but it’s right there.

I’m sure there will be something else too, that we just cannot see yet.

nickys

Premium Member

All I see in the pictures posted is a bridge to the back of the DHS parking lot. Plus some sidewalks to the DHS parking lot. I don’t see any direct access to SW:GE yet. Unless we’re calling walking through the DHS parking lot just like people that parked there to the main DHS entrance “direct access”.

Plus, I see a bus loop right out front of the hotel structure. No indication of its use, but it’s right there.

I was taking Dan's post here as truth, as in it was connected to the permit. It could be he was just quoting someone else. @danlb_2000 - can you clarify please? :)

"New construction for the project will include a two-story building and pavement areas, service areas around the
building, plus landscape berms. The facility will be connected to the DHS park from a bridge over the L-402 Canal.
The new bridge will be close to that of the existing temporary construction bridge over the L-402 canal into the DHS
Crescent surcharge area.

The facility will be connected to the DHS park entrance area from a bridge over
the L-402 Canal. The new bridge will be close to that of the existing temporary construction bridge over the
L-402 canal into the DHS Crescent surcharge area."

twilight mitsuk

magical express stop

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was taking Dan's post here as truth, as in it was connected to the permit. It could be he was just quoting someone else. @danlb_2000 - can you clarify please? :)

The is the exact quote from the permit. By "connected to the DHS park entrance", I think they mean that access to the hotel will be provided by the existing parking lot entrance. The bridge does not go into the park.

MaximumEd

What will happen is all doors will be guarded by Stormtroopers, if you try to leave you will be told to go back to your staterooms, if you refuse you will be shot as enemies of the First Order. Nice and tidy and no immersion broken ;)

I've watched Storm Troopers shoot. They won't be winning any IDPA matches in the near future, so in effect, you are free to leave. :D

Bairstow

You mean you have watched Stormtroopers shoot who were under orders not to hit the people escaping to the rebel base, to quote Obi Wan "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."
It's almost like that bit of dialogue, which is there to make the villains seem like more of a threat, is completely at odds with the rest of the films which go out of their way to show you how cartoonishly inept the storm troopers were.

Lensman

I think you’re being sarcastic. I was actually wondering what Disney will in fact do in this situation.

I thought someone might have some real insight into the issue. Oh well.

And yet you did it in such a way as to not demean me. Neat!

I also wondered about “front door” entry and exit. Won’t it break the narrative to have some people just mosey in and out as they please? Or will they have to go through the “port” each time to leave the property?
I vote for the airlock.

BTW, @Missing20K, I'm glad you're feeling better and I'll try to be nice and respectful in my response, even though it will be much less fun for you. Personally, I like the humor and ribbing I get from my friends when I ask a question they think is stupid. It's probably because it's not my first interaction with them, I guess. Anyway, here's why I think your question puts the board into an unreasonable position:
Are you really asking for serious specifics about what Disney intends to do when a guest is unhappy with the immersive experience for which they've paid $1000 a day? And are you specifically asking what techniques they will use for the perhaps 1 in 1000 (or less) people who are going to feel this way?

Personally, this isn't the most interesting aspect of this immense creative project that I could think of to discuss but since you seem interested in it I'm willing to help out:
1. BTW, I'm betting that you haven't read the exhaustive and exhausting previous 99 pages of this thread so you haven't noticed the 8 pages of posts discussing whether there would be bus transportation to the other parks. The consensus was that there would not be, though as with all of the discussions here there is a vocal minority that this would be a big mistake. But this minority also can't conceive of anyone wanting to spend 2 days participating in this glorified murder mystery weekend. :)
2. You've also missed the 20 pages discussing the ridiculous conjecture that Disney would confiscate all cellphones and other communication devices. The consensus was that they would not do this. There was a vocal minority who thought it was terrible that Disney would prevent doctors from engaging in lifesaving consultations while on vacation. I feel like doctors will be able to avoid breaking immersion and HIPAA and not discuss patient information in public.
3. I agree with the others who say that Disney isn't going to run scheduled bus service for the 1 in 1000 customers who wants to visit a park during their experience. I think they will let you call Uber or a Minnie Van for this. Defectors can probably afford the Minnie Van since you're already wasting your $1000 a day on this. Ha!
4. I think the customer service and satisfaction aspects of someone who is unhappy with their $1000 a day experience will trump any worries about breaking immersion, but I was actually semi-serious about the airlock solution. I'm sure that there will be a discreet airlock for you to exit through. Ideally, they wouldn't even need a traditional hotel lobby since there's not going to be constant check-in/check-out activity, though I could see a themed spaceport aspect going over well. This part would be "outside" the spaceship proper, though. You'd just exit through one of the airlocks so though you will break your immersion when you exit the airlock into the spaceport that you never left, someone remaining on the ship will just have to deal with the trauma of seeing someone enter the airlock without a spacesuit.

It's almost like that bit of dialogue, which is there to make the villains seem like more of a threat, is completely at odds with the rest of the films which go out of their way to show you how cartoonishly inept the storm troopers were.

Actually, you'll have to revoke my Star Wars fan credentials, I've just discovered that they've even named this effect the "Stormtrooper Effect". The weirdest thing is that there are theories about how it reflects the realities of war where large groups of soldiers will consciously or subconsciously intentionally miss.

Missing20K

I vote for the airlock.

BTW, @Missing20K, I'm glad you're feeling better and I'll try to be nice and respectful in my response, even though it will be much less fun for you. Personally, I like the humor and ribbing I get from my friends when I ask a question they think is stupid. It's probably because it's not my first interaction with them, I guess. Anyway, here's why I think your question puts the board into an unreasonable position:
Are you really asking for serious specifics about what Disney intends to do when a guest is unhappy with the immersive experience for which they've paid $1000 a day? And are you specifically asking what techniques they will use for the perhaps 1 in 1000 (or less) people who are going to feel this way?

Personally, this isn't the most interesting aspect of this immense creative project that I could think of to discuss but since you seem interested in it I'm willing to help out:
1. BTW, I'm betting that you haven't read the exhaustive and exhausting previous 99 pages of this thread so you haven't noticed the 8 pages of posts discussing whether there would be bus transportation to the other parks. The consensus was that there would not be, though as with all of the discussions here there is a vocal minority that this would be a big mistake. But this minority also can't conceive of anyone wanting to spend 2 days participating in this glorified murder mystery weekend. :)
2. You've also missed the 20 pages discussing the ridiculous conjecture that Disney would confiscate all cellphones and other communication devices. The consensus was that they would not do this. There was a vocal minority who thought it was terrible that Disney would prevent doctors from engaging in lifesaving consultations while on vacation. I feel like doctors will be able to avoid breaking immersion and HIPAA and not discuss patient information in public.
3. I agree with the others who say that Disney isn't going to run scheduled bus service for the 1 in 1000 customers who wants to visit a park during their experience. I think they will let you call Uber or a Minnie Van for this. Defectors can probably afford the Minnie Van since you're already wasting your $1000 a day on this. Ha!
4. I think the customer service and satisfaction aspects of someone who is unhappy with their $1000 a day experience will trump any worries about breaking immersion, but I was actually semi-serious about the airlock solution. I'm sure that there will be a discreet airlock for you to exit through. Ideally, they wouldn't even need a traditional hotel lobby since there's not going to be constant check-in/check-out activity, though I could see a themed spaceport aspect going over well. This part would be "outside" the spaceship proper, though. You'd just exit through one of the airlocks so though you will break your immersion when you exit the airlock into the spaceport that you never left, someone remaining on the ship will just have to deal with the trauma of seeing someone enter the airlock without a spacesuit.

Actually, you'll have to revoke my Star Wars fan credentials, I've just discovered that they've even named this effect the "Stormtrooper Effect". The weirdest thing is that there are theories about how it reflects the realities of war where large groups of soldiers will consciously or subconsciously intentionally miss.

Cool appreciate the summary.

As I think I stated before (but perhaps not) I’m not asking what Disney would actually do but what some people’s thoughts were. Particularly if there were any new developments on that front that had not been discussed. I could have and probably should have phrased it better. I find this project fascinating, particularly if it is indeed a “captive” cruise.

1. Read a good chunk of the thread. I suppose I mistakenly believed this aspect of the experience was still very much unknown and again was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on it.

2. I agree.

3. So the consensus among folks here and insider info is no bus service during the experience. I find that interesting. It would make sense to have the large bus depot area if all 300-400 “passengers” all embark a time the same time.

4. Airlock idea would suffice.

I was under the impression that the idea was a “space cruise” so wouldn’t there need to be a “port” at which you enter from the DHS parking lot or bus in the “real world” then check in and board? Some type of transition so there isn’t an abrupt change in scenery and environment?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Feel free to ignore if so.

Lensman

I just had a ridiculous idea: What if the building is only 2 stories because the whole spaceship resort hotel is going to be one giant motion simulator? I know that full implementation of this is currently impractical and probably unsafe - I mean you couldn't be buckled in the whole time you're on the ship, right?

As impractical for structural fatigue reasons, they could build the who thing on what would become the new worlds largest shake table. :)

Maybe they could just use the old Sensurround-type effect where they could use lower amplitude sound and vibration to simulate spaceship movement.

You'll know what they decided based on whether there are seatbelts on the bed. Plus that might also be helpful in converting to a different theme altogether.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom