News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

J. D.

I think when all is said and done, WDW will make it to appeal to families (other than toddlers) to some degree and while the average SW "geeks" will be satisfied, the hard core SW "geeks" will be disappointed.
A select few of those hardcore SW "geeks" will always find a way to be disappointed. As they say: no one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The rooms should be large. Its just that there won't be too many of them.
They don't have to be. Did you ever see Outland (the Sean Connery version)?
outland.jpg

In fact, you could put this resort in a huge warehouse with no external themeing whatsoever, and it wouldn't matter a whit...

bclane

There is a non-zero chance that a capsule hotel would do well both in the SW project and elsewhere at WDW. It'd be like a "Single Rider" version of a Disney resort.
I assume you mean no chance even though non-zero could mean more than or less than zero. Regardless, depending on price, I imagine there are a lot of people who would jump at the chance to stay at a capsule hotel at Disney. A lot of people actually love those because they are cheap and have basically everything you need. It just depends on the price imo. Of course Disney would probably try and charge $75 for one the size of a coffin in which case, yeah it wouldn’t work.

Dunston

My prediction is that the "immersive high concept roleplaying" people keep talking about will be a mix between the Peter Pan kid's club activities on the Disney Cruise Lines and the Jedi Academy at DHS.

I mean really? A vacation resort not letting people use smartphones (or even taking them away?!) in 2018? Come on now.

Incomudro

No one's phone is 'confiscated.' You agree to this in advance. And yes people like me would agree to it. If you don't agree you're not allowed in my scenario.

How did I survive working for an international chemical company with 24 hour operations without a mobile phone? :bored:

Perhaps in your scenario.
Not Disney's.
Disney is not going to create a system where people surrender the device that they record their Disney vacation photos and videos on.
I've never been a fan of cel phones.
But they are people's cameras today.
They are the devices that people use to find out where their family members are in Disney parks.
Make reservations.
Check ride wait times.

Incomudro

My prediction is that the "immersive high concept roleplaying" people keep talking about will be a mix between the Peter Pan kid's club activities on the Disney Cruise Lines and the Jedi Academy at DHS.

I mean really? A vacation resort not letting people use smartphones (or even taking them away?!) in 2018? Come on now.

Explorers Club comes to mind too.
This is Disney, it's fun.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I strongly suspect that whatever this experience looks like at opening will be very, very different then what it looks like two years later.

And seriously, why would IP-focused, money-hungry WDW not build a standard, SW-themed hotel as well? Get the audience that doesn’t wanna LARP - or the one that just finished its two-day LARPing session.

And just to be fair, why hasn’t Uni announced an HP hotel by now?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I strongly suspect that whatever this experience looks like at opening will be very, very different then what it looks like two years later.

And seriously, why would IP-focused, money-hungry WDW not build a standard, SW-themed hotel as well? Get the audience that doesn’t wanna LARP - or the one that just finished its two-day LARPing session.

And just to be fair, why hasn’t Uni announced an HP hotel by now?
All good questions. Universal is missing out on Harry Potter. Maybe because it’s Loews that runs the hotels, but I don’t see why they would care if the place prints money.

I posted a while back that I thought they might be hedging their bets with this resort. If it doesn’t go over well it would be relatively easy to convert the place into a regular hotel, add a small outdoor pool area and some sort of upper floor lounge with views into DHS. If it goes well maybe they will add another standard SW themed hotel.

Casper Gutman

All good questions. Universal is missing out on Harry Potter. Maybe because it’s Loews that runs the hotels, but I don’t see why they would care if the place prints money.

I posted a while back that I thought they might be hedging their bets with this resort. If it doesn’t go over well it would be relatively easy to convert the place into a regular hotel, add a small outdoor pool area and some sort of upper floor lounge with views into DHS. If it goes well maybe they will add another standard SW themed hotel.
It is shocking the degree to which Disney seems to continually doubt the value of their primary IPs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is shocking the degree to which Disney seems to continually doubt the value of their primary IPs.
2 SW lands and a hotel seems like they are pretty heavily investing in this IP.

When I said convert it to a regular hotel I meant it would still have a Star Wars theme but just not the roll playing. I think either way SW is there to stay. To your point, if they built a regular SW themed hotel too it could be much larger and appeal to a broader audience.

Texas84

Perhaps in your scenario.
Not Disney's.
Disney is not going to create a system where people surrender the device that they record their Disney vacation photos and videos on.
I've never been a fan of cel phones.
But they are people's cameras today.
They are the devices that people use to find out where their family members are in Disney parks.
Make reservations.
Check ride wait times.

You don't know that and I don't either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom