'Star Wars Galactic Nights' special event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

rkleinlein

Yep. According to the current schedule MK, Epcot and DHS have fireworks including with admission tonight, tomorrow and well into the future.
Of course I and everybody else in this discussion knows that there are some fireworks and parades included with admission (and you must realize we know this so reminding us of the current schedule wasn't necessary).

But people are willing to pay extra for these particular fireworks and parades because . . . ? They are NOT included with admission, like the other parades and fireworks, and--here is my point--like it used to be when all parades and fireworks, no matter the theme, no matter the time of year, and no matter how popular or spectacular were all included.

Now some are included but the really good stuff is not included. So if you--or more the point your kids--have the temerity, the gall, the unreasonable expectation of seeing Christmas parade during the Christmas season (of all times!) or a Star Wars parade at Hollywood Studios (of all places!), then you are forced to pay extra.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of course I and everybody else in this discussion knows that there are some fireworks and parades included with admission (and you must realize we know this so reminding us of the current schedule wasn't necessary).

But people are willing to pay extra for these particular fireworks and parades because . . . ? They are NOT included with admission, like the other parades and fireworks, and--here is my point--like it used to be when all parades and fireworks, no matter the theme, no matter the time of year, and no matter how popular or spectacular were all included.

Now some are included but the really good stuff is not included. So if you--or more the point your kids--have the temerity, the gall, the unreasonable expectation of seeing Christmas parade during the Christmas season (of all times!) or a Star Wars parade at Hollywood Studios (of all places!), then you are forced to pay extra.
Welcome to capitalism.

Nothing that can be charged for will be given away for free.

21stamps

Welcome to capitalism.

Walt Disney. Disneyland. Disney World. Disney Movies. All things Disney..are about the best example of capitalism that exist.

Somehow people here forget/ignore that? Focusing on "upcharges" and "options" as gross examples and a threat to a vacation.
A vacation is entertainment. The entire thing is a non essential item.

I am Timmy

Did all that myself. The last time we did autographs Billy Dee Williams and Ray Park were there. My wife got in the Ray Park line and in Billy's at 3:00 AM. I was the second to last person to get a FP for Billy Dee. We were done at that point.
Don't you just love a good story with a happy ending? Luck was on your side that day, my friend!

AEfx

Walt Disney. Disneyland. Disney World. Disney Movies. All things Disney..are about the best example of capitalism that exist.

Somehow people here forget/ignore that? Focusing on "upcharges" and "options" as gross examples and a threat to a vacation.

Of course it's all "non-essential". Might you lecture us about starving children in third world countries now?

What people are lamenting is that WDW used to have both wild financial success AND delivered a quality, solid experience to everyone who could afford a ticket to get through the gates. It didn't matter if you were on a day trip, if you were staying in an off-site campground, or in a penthouse at the GF. Everyone in the parks was offered the same experience.

Over the past 10-15 years this has dramatically changed. It's even creeping into capital additions - like Beast's Castle, which you can't even get near without a reservation.

What you miss is that while Disney is one of the best examples of capitalism there is, they also used to be an example of how it could be done RIGHT. Now, nothing is more important than spreadsheets and all the things about quality and how well EVERYONE was treated within those gates is flying out the window. It used to be a place it felt GOOD to spend your money at because they earned it and the value was there.

Disney is a business. No doubt. However, ever since the failure of AK to bring new guests they have been doing everything possible to squeeze more out of the people who already go as opposed to attracting new. They refused to man up and realize that it was a failure on a conceptual level, not about "market saturation". They are still treating WDW as a saturated market instead of learning the lessons Universal has been absolutely schooling them with.

rkleinlein

Welcome to capitalism.

Yes, we get it: Disney is a capitalist business that exists to make money for its shareholders, blah, blah, blah.

But part of Disney's success, as EEfx wrote above, is doing it RIGHT: that is making a healthy profit while giving guests a premium experience--an experience where guests are not left knowing that it was pretty good but it could have better much better if only they had been willing to pay more.

There are a whole host of things for which Disney COULD charge extra and people would willingly pay: VIP princess meet and greets in the castle, expanded Jedi Training, extra FastPasses, Universal style express passes, VIP seating at restaurants and theaters--the possibilities are endless. But that does not mean they should.

A balance can exist between profit and guest experience. Many of us think that Disney is crossing a line with their newfound obsession with add on charges for so-called premium experiences--experiences which at one time would have been included.

For me the line is crossed when guests who have already paid for admission are asked to pay extra if they want their kids to see a Christmas parade or Star Wars parade.

asianway

Of course it's all "non-essential". Might you lecture us about starving children in third world countries now?

What people are lamenting is that WDW used to have both wild financial success AND delivered a quality, solid experience to everyone who could afford a ticket to get through the gates. It didn't matter if you were on a day trip, if you were staying in an off-site campground, or in a penthouse at the GF. Everyone in the parks was offered the same experience.

Over the past 10-15 years this has dramatically changed. It's even creeping into capital additions - like Beast's Castle, which you can't even get near without a reservation.

What you miss is that while Disney is one of the best examples of capitalism there is, they also used to be an example of how it could be done RIGHT. Now, nothing is more important than spreadsheets and all the things about quality and how well EVERYONE was treated within those gates is flying out the window. It used to be a place it felt GOOD to spend your money at because they earned it and the value was there.

Disney is a business. No doubt. However, ever since the failure of AK to bring new guests they have been doing everything possible to squeeze more out of the people who already go as opposed to attracting new. They refused to man up and realize that it was a failure on a conceptual level, not about "market saturation". They are still treating WDW as a saturated market instead of learning the lessons Universal has been absolutely schooling them with.
I'm with you in general terms but speaking strictly for SWW, Lucas was stroking a check to subsidize that. Once he sold it's days were numbered

Magic Feather

They didn't expect too much of an AK boost because of the new night offerings, at least, once they knew they would feature Rivers of Night: Alive with Tragic instead of RoL. They expect a small boost from RoL during Spring Break, and then a substantial boost for Pandora. What will happen remains to be seen.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm trying to figure out when to go to Disney when there isn't some sort of night party at the MK but it looks like Halloween parties are going to start at the end of August and the Christmas parties go up to Christmas Day.
Too bad they don't do the Star Wars event change over for RNRC to SW music.
Edit: I'm sure there are using these events for later on when SWL us open in 2019.

21stamps

I'm trying to figure out when to go to Disney when there isn't some sort of night party at the MK but it looks like Halloween parties are going to start at the end of August and the Christmas parties go up to Christmas Day.
Too bad they don't do the Star Wars event change over for RNRC to SW music.
Edit: I'm sure there are using these events for later on when SWL us open in 2019.
Wow are Halloween parties starting that early?! That's too much. Last weekend of September thru October should be good. The Christmas parties should be the week of Thanksgiving thru mid-December...or to Christmas. I mean, that's the technical "season" right? I think that the Christmas parties end before Christmas week, but I would rather go when the crowds were lower than that specific week. Universal's events started on 12/1 or 12/3 in 2016, I wish those would have started Thanksgiving. I'm not quite sure why the parks do the odd times.

AEfx

They didn't expect too much of an AK boost because of the new night offerings, at least, once they knew they would feature Rivers of Night: Alive with Tragic instead of RoL. They expect a small boost from RoL during Spring Break, and then a substantial boost for Pandora. What will happen remains to be seen.

I'm not talking about whats going on now and the "night offerings". I'm talking about AK as a park. It was a failure at meeting the intention it was built for. They built it to bring more guests to WDW. Instead it just spread out the people that were already going.

They blamed it at the time on "market saturation" - as in, there was no wider audience they could attract to WDW. Anyone that already could possibly be interested in visiting already is. This is why we now have MM+ and all that assorted "let's eek a few more cents out of those who already are coming" mentality. This was the point they gave up on true expansion and innovation in terms of being the king of the theme park attraction.

In truth, as Universal proved with Potter, was that "the theme matters in a theme park, stupid". Yes, yes, AK is lovely and all. People who just like to walk around and say "that's so pretty!" just adore it. But it wasn't a theme that attracted new guests en masse. Most people live much closer to much cheaper regional zoos with much much more diverse and intimate animal interaction. And as a theme park in terms of attractions, well, we know how that goes. 1/2 of a zoo and 1/2 of a theme park didn't equal a big new draw to WDW.

Natazu!

Kman101

Budget cuts also played a role in the park's early years. We got stuck with Dinorama carnival games, no Beastly Kingdom, Asia wasn't open until 1999 ... they didn't do a very good job with it. They want all these parks open with bare bones. Look at how they opened Hong Kong Disneyland. Look at how they opened original flavor DCA (though that was slightly better). While Shanghai is beautiful, it to me still lacks in rides, though the few they do have seem great.

Parks need a variety of things to do. AK needs more rides, that to me goes without saying, of course it does, but the theme park itself is stunning and my argument has always been to appreciate it. Doesn't mean I don't think there needs to be more actual rides. But there's a lot to do there, just not everyone is doing it. Including myself. I skip quite a bit but I know that I tour the parks differently than most.

And since this is about Star Wars and DHS, DHS still can't seem to get in the double digits with this massive "expansion". Really a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom