Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

TROR

Bruh. The moment Ben Swolo revealed himself, I knew she was into him.

View attachment 435733

Seriously though, it continues this TLJ plot line very nicely. No shock value for me. Rey’s a pretty strong girl herself, so she needs the ultimate aggressive attractive ******* to get her turned on. They both can’t stop making ForceTime calls to each other in TLJ. Long-distance relationships aren’t easy but I always saw something building, only hindered by their starkly different ideologies. I have no issue believing that both characters wanted that kiss for a while.
Rey needs an abusive boyfriend who has, numerous times, tried to murder her. Because that's what being a strong woman means.

You're insane if you think Rey and Kylo are a good pairing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, TRoS is a bag of contradictions.

Critics: Critics loved Episodes 7 & 8. However, they give TRoS the same low scores as The Phantom Menace. For critics, those two movies are tied for last place.

Audience: TRoS got a poor CinemaScore at B-. But, that's the only poor audience metric. PostTrak has generally good scores from audiences. And the self-reporting ratings at Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB have fairly good scores for TRoS. The audience rating puts TRoS higher than TLJ, Solo, and all the prequels.

Box Office: TRoS needs $825 million worldwide to break even. After that... it's a success financially since it will have turned a profit. Though some may want to talk about failing to succeed spectacularly with a moving goalpost... let's deal with real numbers [as much as we can discern]... a profit is a profit. And $825 million BO is that break even point based on the usual Hollywood practices (a metric which Deadline also uses).

Disney v. Lucas: The real funny thing is that if you average all the critics scores and all the audience scores of the SW films produced by Lucas v. the ones produced by Disney... they're essentially identical. Disney did just as well with SW as Lucas did by that metric.... whether one sees that as a good thing or a bad thing is personal taste. Although... Lucas's films had a much higher Rate of Investment return with the Box Office v. Budget totals. And that's because Disney loves to bust budgets, eating into their theatrical profits.

1577080973592.png

Tony Perkis

So, TRoS is a bag of contradictions.

Critics: Critics loved Episodes 7 & 8. However, they give TRoS the same low scores as The Phantom Menace. For critics, those two movies are tied for last place.

Audience: TRoS got a poor CinemaScore at B-. But, that's the only poor audience metric. PostTrak has generally good scores from audiences. And the self-reporting ratings at Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB have fairly good scores for TRoS. The audience rating puts TRoS higher than TLJ, Solo, and all the prequels.

Box Office: TRoS needs $825 million worldwide to break even. After that... it's a success financially since it will have turned a profit. Though some may want to talk about failing to succeed spectacularly with a moving goalpost... let's deal with real numbers [as much as we can discern]... a profit is a profit. And $825 million BO is that break even point based on the usual Hollywood practices (a metric which Deadline also uses).

Disney v. Lucas: The real funny thing is that if you average all the critics scores and all the audience scores of the SW films produced by Lucas v. the ones produced by Disney... they're essentially identical. Disney did just as well with SW as Lucas did by that metric.... whether one sees that as a good thing or a bad thing is personal taste. Although... Lucas's films had a much higher Rate of Investment return with the Box Office v. Budget totals. And that's because Disney loves to bust budgets, eating into their theatrical profits.

View attachment 435735
This post is PR.

BrianLo

The 5 angry guy theory needs to go to bed. Star Wars fans need not apologize for being fans anymore

That actually wasn't my argument. The implication was that no Star Wars fans like TLJ and that isn't true. Just like saying only five people disliked it isn't true. It was a divisive movie amongst the hardcore.

Obviously not divisive amongst the critics and a bit confusing to suss out amongst the general audience, since the fans usually speak the loudest.

BrianLo

Explain to me how it doesn't, and I'll correct you.

I had complete investment in the characters. The script wasn't dumbed down (a rarity in SW) and all the actors, from extras to leads performed very naturally and very well. The background/motivation dialogue may not have been overly exhaustive, but it was impactful. None of it felt spoon-fed. We saw & heard all we needed to know. The performances hammered home the investment. E.g., we see in the first fifteen minutes Cassian is a conflicted, war-hardened agent who kills for the Alliance and Jyn is a girl who watched her mother murdered by the Empire, her father stolen away and we find her imprisoned by the same, blaming her Father for abandoning her and later learning of his sacrifice and forgiving him. These are damaged people who for natural & believable reasons (revenge & justice, prevention of another genocide) choose to undertake a suicidal mission to give the galaxy a chance to be saved (cue Ep IV). But instead of living through it, as would happen in most Hollywood movies, their victory means death. It's a beautiful, operatic story.

When you include the magnificent visual sequences from beginning to end, the rollercoaster pacing, the perfect blending of old & new production design... it is a Masterpiece even before you get bonus cherry: the Vader scene leading directly into a new hope's opening, which is like a 3rd curtain call by U2. Nothing matches R1.

IMO, at least.

I've spoken to you about this before. Clearly there are different tastes and I truly do not think either of us is wrong. Just different tastes. I really did not connect to the Rogue One characters (non-leads aside). I know plenty did not connect to the new trio (non-leads aside).

Weirdly it seems like people either really liked Rogue One or really liked TLJ.

Nuanced versus charisma. Emotionless versus corny. All depends on whom you ask

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That actually wasn't my argument. The implication was that no Star Wars fans like TLJ and that isn't true. Just like saying only five people disliked it isn't true. It was a divisive movie amongst the hardcore.

Obviously not divisive amongst the critics and a bit confusing to suss out amongst the general audience, since the fans usually speak the loudest.
We live in a world of “averages”...but they’re not always balanced.

The criticism of that movie was LEGIT for all the reasons suggested and they were shouted down and characterized as “marginal” here and many other places.

Disney took them seriously...they retconned the whole damn thing.

But the evidence isn’t good enough...any of it and it’s pretty substantial as pointed out at each step.

Maybe you didn’t push the 5 guys theory...but it was being pushed as of just a few days ago. It was obviously wrong since 12/17.

I hope we can move on now...to those that believe low hanging fruit excuses?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've spoken to you about this before. Clearly there are different tastes and I truly do not think either of us is wrong. Just different tastes. I really did not connect to the Rogue One characters (non-leads aside). I know plenty did not connect to the new trio (non-leads aside).

Weirdly it seems like people either really liked Rogue One or really liked TLJ.

Nuanced versus charisma. Emotionless versus corny. All depends on whom you ask

I think the easiest difference to point to is one director was an unabashed fan of Star Wars - the history and the lore...the other talked about “new directions”

It showed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom