Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Mike S

NOTE- There were leaked plot outlines posted online within the past couple of weeks, and the trailer appears to contain a handful of details that confirm their authenticity. So beware where you go online if you want to avoid spoilers going into this movie.

So C3PO will finally be used as more than a small cameo I presume?

About time.

MuteSuperstar

Reactions?

I promise I watched with an open mind. Bottom line is I do not care about any of the core new characters. At all. And really I didn't see much that looked all that compelling visually either, but I feel that way about a whole lot of movies in the CGI-overkill era.

I see people commenting with all the typical youtube overreactions like "chills" and "crying" etc and it truly just boggles my mind. I mean honestly if people really connect with the newer ones emotionally more power to them. I was blown away by Star Wars and Empire during their original runs (and still think they are absolutely brilliant), but that was a long time ago, and even as a 13 year old my interest started waning with ROTJ, which was clearly not up to the previous two to my mind.

These newer movies are made for a different time, a different culture that honestly I don't even really feel that I am a part of and don't relate to much at all. And that's fine. I liked Rogue One well enough, and didn't entirely hate TFA, so hopefully I will find something worthwhile in this one. But I don't care much either way anymore. It's just been too long, if only Lucas had done the sequels in the 90s, then we could have maybe had something that truly felt connected to the OT and been much more satisfying.

Last edited:

RandySavage

A nicely cut trailer. I wasn't aware of the leaked Spoiler Outlines mentioned above, so I hope those plot details don't enter this thread.

The only moment in the trailer I didn't care for was the C-3PO line, because it felt sappy and designed for marketing.

Really liked the OT Star Destroyer coming out of the ice, as well as both massive fleets near the end. Ocean storm duel looked operatic (taking a nod from PotC: At Worlds End). For me, the ginger imperial Admiral is this trilogy's Jar Jar Binks, so I'm glad there was no sign of him.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

So C3PO will finally be used as more than a small cameo I presume?

About time.
I assume so. Don't know how much screen time he will get, but he allegedly has a fairly important role in the plot (much more than he usually has).

I don't have a ton of interest in this movie. The trailer just looks okay, and the leaked plot outline is very hit or miss. Some things sound interesting, others not so much. I will admit it sounds better than Last Jedi at least. Though in my opinion, Last Jedi is the worst of the 8 main Skywalker movies by far. So not saying a whole lot. It doesn't sound like Rise of Skywalker will address or fix my inherent problems with the previous two movies, the only hope is that it's a more entertaining movie than the Last Jedi. Note getting my hopes up, it will depend on how well it plays out onscreen.

I won't spoil any details revealed in the leaks, even behind a spoiler tag. I will however allude vaguely to one thing that interested me about the leak. I won't post any details as I believe i'm being suitably vague. But I will still hide my comment for anyone who wishes to go in completely blind-

There is a huge detail set to be revealed about Rey that I admittedly found cool and interesting. I'm actually pleased partially because I myself considered this as a likely theory back when Force Awakens released, so i'm slightly happy they went with this point. There are other people who latched onto this theory as well, there are interesting hints spread out through Force Awakens that alluded towards this detail. It in no way fixes the issues with her character progression and completely unearned feats of power without any training. But it makes her identity more interesting at least and at least explains why she has the potential to be so powerful.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I agree the C3PO bit felt cheesy.

Beyond that, it looks fine. It doesn't look like a remake or rehash.

The action looks good, no surprise there. Story wise it didn't tell me much, other than things are wrapping up. That's a good thing, I want more experiences like Endgame where I don't know the whole story going in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess i need to watch it again...

Cause to me it looks like the master of reboot is “rebooting” his Rey character...who is flat as a board on many levels. Just no pull for any of them.

The rest looked like MASSIVE retconning and CGI. I hope the movie isn’t like this trailer at all. And I was starting to feel a bit more optimistic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I promise I watched with an open mind. Bottom line is I do not care about any of the core new characters. At all. And really I didn't see much that looked all that compelling visually either, but I feel that way about a whole lot of movies in the CGI-overkill era.

I see people commenting with all the typical youtube overreactions like "chills" and "crying" etc and it truly just boggles my mind. I mean honestly if people really connect with the newer ones emotionally more power to them. I was blown away by Star Wars and Empire during their original runs (and still think they are absolutely brilliant), but that was a long time ago, and even as a 13 year old my interest started waning with ROTJ, which was clearly not up to the previous two to my mind.

These newer movies are made for a different time, a different culture that honestly I don't even really feel that I am a part of and don't relate to much at all. And that's fine. I liked Rogue One well enough, and didn't entirely hate TFA, so hopefully I will find something worthwhile in this one. But I don't care much either way anymore. It's just been too long, if only Lucas had done the sequels in the 90s, then we could have maybe had something that truly felt connected to the OT and been much more satisfying.

Sigh...yeah...that about does it.

No doubt the time is a way bigger deal than I had hoped it would be...dating back to 1999

And by the way: it’s actually scary how similar your thoughts are to mine...like 99.9%
I agree the C3PO bit felt cheesy.

Beyond that, it looks fine. It doesn't look like a remake or rehash.

The action looks good, no surprise there. Story wise it didn't tell me much, other than things are wrapping up. That's a good thing, I want more experiences like Endgame where I don't know the whole story going in.
Sure looks like an attempt to redo the last two movies to me.

Didn’t see any “first order”...really. And from “all new” characters...they have I believe at least FOUR confirmed characters that are direct or indirect calls to the bullpen of the OT...maybe more

And huge battles...when numbskull decided to shrink everything down to a few people...

Or am I the only one that hit his head in 2015 and sees it??

Last edited:

MuteSuperstar

Cause to me it looks like the master of reboot is “rebooting” his Rey character...who is flat as a board on many levels. Just no pull for any of them.

As I've said before...I can't name one moment Rey or Finn have had that even has a whiff of the pathos or stakes of Luke rushing back to find his home razed....to name just one. Or the quiet beauty of Luke looking at the suns. Or even a throwaway line as memorable or funny and character-defining as "HE'S THE BRAINS, SWEETHEART!", or a scene with a whit of the tension or urgency of the garbage smasher scene. Or the warmth and character of a simple scene like Luke telling R2 they're heading to the Dagobah system, or the atmosphere and mystery once they get there. And these are just some of the relatively small bits in the OT that still resonate. If this makes me a "hater" (yawn), so be it. I wanted to like these movies, I assure you. They unfold like video games. They insist upon themselves.

But hey no purple hair or Maz Kanata or anyone saying "Let's do this!" in this trailer, so thankful for small favors.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I wanted to like these movies, I assure you. They unfold like video games. They insist upon themselves.
Ironically there are a handful of Star Wars video game stories that (in spite of having certain quirks inherent to the medium of gaming) have far more compelling base plots and characters than the sequel trilogy does. The two Knights of the Old Republic games are the prime examples. KOTOR 2 in particular introduced a character named Kreia, who in my opinion stands high among the best the Star Wars franchise has to offer. The main two villains (Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion) are also very interesting and complex as well. The story itself also presents a far more interesting and cerebral case for "why the jedi should no longer exist" than the pointless nonsense Last Jedi attempted.

Sadly these stories are likely no longer canon. They could easily be re-introduced into the canon if Disney wanted (would be great if they did). They occur thousands of years before the Skywalker saga and (unlike the expanded universe content occurring post-Episode6 with Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, Jana Solo, Darth Caedus etc) don't contradict the plots of the canon movies.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Never has something meant to be purely fun been so exhausting. That will be the epitaph...I fear...forever.

It’s now more the legacy of the whole thing more than the wonder of the originals.

Mouse3268

Hopefully this film doesn't ruin the greatness that was The Last Jedi (top three of the Skywalker flicks) by retconning previous decisions, but this trailer looks good and has me excited.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hopefully this film doesn't ruin the greatness that was The Last Jedi (top three of the Skywalker flicks) by retconning previous decisions, but this trailer looks good and has me excited.
Well the good news is there’s no way to stop the “resonance” of that fine film...

It’s like the EMP on a thermonuclear blast

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom