Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Gomer

If I remember my three year old rumors correctly, Vader did appear in the climax of the initial cut of the movie. But the hallway fight was something the studio asked to be amped up in reshoots. Reshoots, that depending on who you believe either Edwards was not available for or not welcome.

The ending was also reworked to make the "Escape of the plans" sequence the ending rather than Jyn and Cassian on Skarif. Which necessitated new footage to make that sequence a clear ending.

So depending on your disposition as to the studio politics, either Edwards couldn't cut it and they brought in Gilroy to fix everything. Or, they discovered some late tweaks to improve the movie and they used a ringer to chip in when Edwards couldn't do it.

My guess would likely be that the truth is somewhere in the middle, as it most often is.

sedati

But the Vader scene came after all of that. Quite close to release actually, and I've always heard that it was Gareth who handled it. I believe it was the editor who actually came up with the idea and Kennedy approved it.

Last edited:

Gomer

But the Vader scene came after all of that. Quite close to release actually, and I've always heard that it was Gareth who handled it.
I know Gilroy handled the majority of the re-shoots around the redesign of Jyn and Krennic's characters. It would be interesting if Gareth handled the vader scene as it would sort of sap some of the strength behind the idea of LF wanting him off the film because it was so bad.

Gomer

I've always heard Gareth remained heavily involved in post production even if he didn't work on the bulk of the reshoots.
From the sound of those comments, it almost seems like the major reshoots that were done by Gilroy were a completely separate beast from the addition of the Vader scene.

But I guess that also makes sense. Edwards never had a problem with action scenes. I'm not a huge fan of Rogue One as a movie, but it does have some of the best action beats of the new films. So it might have made sense to bring someone else for the character work but leave Edwards in charge of the spectacle.

I've always thought the rumors of Edwards being secretly fired but kept around for PR reasons were completely overblown. From what I understand, the only problems with the movie was that a few of the major characters came off as lifeless so they went back and reshot some scenes to give them a bit more humor and character depth. Something that was also done with TFA. but since JJ handled those himself it never became an internet conspiracy theory.

sedati

There's also the theory that Edwards delivered exactly what he was asked to deliver only Lucasfilm/Disney changed their mind about what kind of movie they wanted after the fact.
I'm hoping he gets to work in the galaxy again. Perhaps with the Cassian Disney+ show.

Jedijax719

I'm new and realize I'm not in the position to make requests or suggestions, but is there anyway to add the title to this thread? (The Rise of Skywalker). Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

LSLS

How do you fix Last Jedi? How do you fix Star Wars? Everyone is thinking time travel.
Tons of hints. C3PO has his normal arm back in the trailer.

Boy I don't know. With Avengers doing time travel this same year, not sure you can get away with it. As far as fixing, the only fixing that really needs to be done is they need to find a way to bridge the last 2 movies together. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm not sure "Fix Star Wars" is the correct term. While I'm not die hard into the franchise, and I think there has to be worries in Disney about things, I don't think it's on its last legs and staring death in the eye either. My guess is you see all nostalgia in this movie in hopes of making a short term gain, and then you will see a complete reboot when they start the next series a few years down the line. The increasing problem they COULD have is that I'm not so sure this franchise isn't much more about the characters than the concept. Will people accept a Star Wars where you don't have Luke/Leia/Solo/Chewy/Vader or even Rey? Can you build around an all new set of characters? Is the concept of the force and fighting in outer space the appealing aspect of the franchise?

I guess going into this movie, I'm really interested in how they end this. Will this movie close everything out, or is it going to bridge the next saga? What I mean by that, is with Luke gone, are they going to find a way to carry on the Jedis, or will it reboot with just the idea of some having connections with the force, but the name Jedi goes away.

CinematicFusion

Boy I don't know. With Avengers doing time travel this same year, not sure you can get away with it. As far as fixing, the only fixing that really needs to be done is they need to find a way to bridge the last 2 movies together. I have no idea how to do it, but I'm not sure "Fix Star Wars" is the correct term. While I'm not die hard into the franchise, and I think there has to be worries in Disney about things, I don't think it's on its last legs and staring death in the eye either. My guess is you see all nostalgia in this movie in hopes of making a short term gain, and then you will see a complete reboot when they start the next series a few years down the line. The increasing problem they COULD have is that I'm not so sure this franchise isn't much more about the characters than the concept. Will people accept a Star Wars where you don't have Luke/Leia/Solo/Chewy/Vader or even Rey? Can you build around an all new set of characters? Is the concept of the force and fighting in outer space the appealing aspect of the franchise?

I guess going into this movie, I'm really interested in how they end this. Will this movie close everything out, or is it going to bridge the next saga? What I mean by that, is with Luke gone, are they going to find a way to carry on the Jedis, or will it reboot with just the idea of some having connections with the force, but the name Jedi goes away.

Disney isn’t going to end Star Wars. This movie will end the Skywalker Trilogy while setting up the next film.

Being an older fan, I was so disappointed in TLJ, could only watch it once. Loved Force Awakens even though it was a reboot of A New Hope. It did a great job introducing the new characters.

The Last Jedi didn’t make sense to me.
I thought it hurt all the new characters, non of the new characters evolved and jumped out of the shadows of the older characters.

After Empire, the audience was in love with Han,Luke,Leia. After TLJ, the new characters took a step back from what Abrams’ created.
(My opinion)

Am I the only one who thinks this way? A small minority? Maybe...

But like you said, it’s interesting the new trailer markets to the fans of the old trilogy.
1. The title
2. Falcon has its circle radar back on.
3. C3PO looks like c3po from old trilogy
4. Luke’s lightsaber is back and in perfect condition
5. The medal from a new hope
6. The death star
7. Luke Skywalker narration
8. Lando flying the falcon
9. Jabba the Hutt like skiffs from ROTJ
10. Shot of gloves that look like Vader’s gloves
11. Palpatine’s laugh

It’s almost like time travel is coming to Star Wars or the marketing team is trying to get older fans back to the big screen after TLJ.

It feels like TLJ painted itself into a corner, again my opinion. Others this TLJ is the greatest movie ever.

Star Wars will continue but I believe it’s future is on TV and the stories developed there. The Mandalorian should be a good start.

Joesixtoe

Disney isn’t going to end Star Wars. This movie will end the Skywalker Trilogy while setting up the next film.

Being an older fan, I was so disappointed in TLJ, could only watch it once. Loved Force Awakens even though it was a reboot of A New Hope. It did a great job introducing the new characters.

I thought it hurt all the new characters, non of the new characters evolved and jumped out of the shadows of the older characters.

After Empire, the audience was in love with Han,Luke,Leia. After TLJ, the new characters took a step back from what Abrams’ created.
(My opinion)

But like you said, it’s interesting the new trailer markets to the fans of the old trilogy.
1. The title
6. The death star
11. Palpatine’s laugh

It’s almost like time travel is coming to Star Wars or the marketing team is trying to get older fans back to the big screen after TLJ.

It feels like TLJ painted itself into a corner, again my opinion. Others this TLJ is the greatest movie ever.

Star Wars will continue but I believe it’s future is on TV and the stories developed there. The Mandalorian should be a good start.
You are by far not in the minority. I would say Johnson split the fans. Some liked it, other didn't. It's crazy, he took all those theories from ep 7 and answered them in all the ways no one wanted. Rey is no one, Luke dies without a light saber battle, Snoke is no one, no knights of Ren... however Kylo I thought was still done pretty well I thought. I like the dynamic between him and Rey, as well as he doesn't have to be Vader as in with the mask.

LSLS

(My opinion)

1. The title
6. The death star
11. Palpatine’s laugh

We will see how it sets up the next movie. They are taking a few years off, and if they are leaving behind the old characters (will that include Ren and Rey I wonder), I'm not sure there will be a ton of setup. To set up the next saga, they would need to have real plans on where they are going, and I'm not completely convinced they have them/had time to add them to this movie (even if there were plans). They could do some sort of time travel, but it's quite a cop out in my eyes, and it's going to be a hard sell for me (as a casual fan) based on the fact that Endgames just did it.

I don't disagree TLJ painted this final film into a bit of a corner. I mean, JJ pretty much admitted it. I'm pretty rare in that I'm not on either side of TLJ. There are parts I hated, but there are parts I thought were really cool. And I kind of liked how Luke was handled. I do think it was wrong of them not to rework the film a bit when Carrie died, but that's a whole different thing. Anyways, I think this film we determine if there is a fix needed. If this film falters, then I will fully admit I'm wrong and they have real issues, but I doubt that happens. My guess is you will see it above TLJ and below TFA, which is right where it should be.

The one thing I will say that I find odd is that we are now 4 months or so away, and this movie is completely forgotten by me. Now, I'm sure it's because of the massive movies that have come out this year, but that kind of goes to the point. This entire last year for me has been nothing but waiting and thinking of Endgame. And this is from someone who a year and a half ago had never seen a Marvel movie. Between that and Lion King and even Toy Story and Frozen, the finale of this era of Star Wars feels lost in the shuffle. And that is something I would have never dreamed possible when TFA opened.

tk924

As a long time fan of SW (seeing ANH at 7 years old), I agree that SW feels out of sorts.
There has been a rumor, I REPEAT "RUMOR", that has surfaced recently as to what may have caused all this weirdness in the Disney SW era.
I'd recommend watching this video in full (not mine, btw).

I think this theory/rumor makes total sense. It could be the reason for the destruction of legacy characters, no real ties to previous SW movies in that Disney discarded GL's ST treatment(s), and Galaxies Edge not being recognizable and having low attendance.
Could this really be due to content creator IP and Disney not wanting to pay Lucas anything? If so. Wow. Just. Wow.

CinematicFusion

We will see how it sets up the next movie. They are taking a few years off, and if they are leaving behind the old characters (will that include Ren and Rey I wonder), I'm not sure there will be a ton of setup. To set up the next saga, they would need to have real plans on where they are going, and I'm not completely convinced they have them/had time to add them to this movie (even if there were plans). They could do some sort of time travel, but it's quite a cop out in my eyes, and it's going to be a hard sell for me (as a casual fan) based on the fact that Endgames just did it.

I don't disagree TLJ painted this final film into a bit of a corner. I mean, JJ pretty much admitted it. I'm pretty rare in that I'm not on either side of TLJ. There are parts I hated, but there are parts I thought were really cool. And I kind of liked how Luke was handled. I do think it was wrong of them not to rework the film a bit when Carrie died, but that's a whole different thing. Anyways, I think this film we determine if there is a fix needed. If this film falters, then I will fully admit I'm wrong and they have real issues, but I doubt that happens. My guess is you will see it above TLJ and below TFA, which is right where it should be.

The one thing I will say that I find odd is that we are now 4 months or so away, and this movie is completely forgotten by me. Now, I'm sure it's because of the massive movies that have come out this year, but that kind of goes to the point. This entire last year for me has been nothing but waiting and thinking of Endgame. And this is from someone who a year and a half ago had never seen a Marvel movie. Between that and Lion King and even Toy Story and Frozen, the finale of this era of Star Wars feels lost in the shuffle. And that is something I would have never dreamed possible when TFA opened.

Good point. I agree, Marvel has taken over and captured the imagination of its intended audience.

Harry Potter did that, original Star Wars trilogy... Force Awakens did it but something happened after it’s release. Not sure when and I’m not saying it was TLJ but Star Wars took a big hit somewhere between 2015-2018.

Toy sales are down, Galaxy’s Edge isn’t getting the greatest press. Some even calling it a major disappointment.(not very fair since the main ride isn't open yet). Solo was a complete financial bomb which was very surprising.

Maybe there isn’t a perceived interest because Disney’s marketing team hasn’t kicked into full gear yet with Stat Wars.

On a personal note I’m not that excited for the next Star Wars film. I am excited for “the mandalorian”

J.J. Does make entertaining films so the last movie should be fun. Will it re-capture the public’s perceived wavering interest in Star Wars theatrical releases?

We Shaw see.

CinematicFusion

As a long time fan of SW (seeing ANH at 7 years old), I agree that SW feels out of sorts.
There has been a rumor, I REPEAT "RUMOR", that has surfaced recently as to what may have caused all this weirdness in the Disney SW era.
I'd recommend watching this video in full (not mine, btw).

I think this theory/rumor makes total sense. It could be the reason for the destruction of legacy characters, no real ties to previous SW movies in that Disney discarded GL's ST treatment(s), and Galaxies Edge not being recognizable and having low attendance.
Could this really be due to content creator IP and Disney not wanting to pay Lucas anything? If so. Wow. Just. Wow.

Interesting rumor, one that is fun to talk about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom