Star Tours

xsupaxmanxsfnex

My first time on it was this past August. I liked it, didn't have any problems with it, I thought it was a good time. However, I do think it could be improved. The line is very well themed and then you get to the actual ride and it was a little bit of a disappointment. But it was fun.

EpcotServo

They have made a new Falcon toy too...not sure if it just came out, or if it's coming out, but I was just reading about it in Wired and while $150 is kinda steep, it's the first redesign of the toy since it's initial release in the 70's. Apparently the original mold finally gave out, so they redesigned the whole thing - and now you can actually fit 4 characters in the cockpit.

That's not true...I know because I have a 90's version that's been in my room for years.

:lol:

AEfx

That's not true...I know because I have a 90's version that's been in my room for years.

:lol:

I can only report what the article said, which implies that the 90's version was done from the same mold.

From the June 2008 Wired magazine, page 77:

"Yes, we owned the first Millennium Falcon toy, released back in 1979. Everyone else did, too, and Hasbro made all those flocks of the 17-inch craft from the same molds. Forms that finally, three decades later, have worn out. Luckily, Hasbro called in the original designer and let him go to town on a new version. On his to-do list: Make the cockpit actually fit four heroes - like in the movie, hello - and use a dimmer switch so the lights flicker to better evoke the real ship's sputtering engines. The updated vehicle is about a foot longer and, at $150, costs around $50 more than it's predecessor. And, of course, the bucket of bolts still makes the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs."

Just reported what I read, LOL.

I guess that's why they are focusing on all the new stuff from the Clone Wars movie and TV show....:lookaroun

I think you misinterpreted what I said. First of all, the actual clone wars and TV show is a whole different beast, not the pre-quels nor the original films. However, if you look at the current merchandising, and especially the direction of many of the things LucasArts in particular is working on, you will see a return of much of the original trilogy in a lot of things, especially merchandising.

While they were pushing the prequels, everything had to do with that - most of the new figures, video games, even the MMO that takes place after Episode IV had tons of pre-quel content shoe-horned into it. I did not say that the original trilogy has taken over, but at least the licenising/merchandising people (for the time being) have realized that the people with the $$, i.e. the fans, want more of that era than the prequel stuff, and it's showing in the merchandise.

The Clone Wars and the TV show will be interesting. If people latch on to them (especially the latter) and want those types of items, that may change things, but right now the original characters are having quite a comback, especially when compared to just a couple of years ago when it was all about the prequels.

AEfx

jonnyc

Personally, I think star tours is a little outdated, but still charming in a nostalgic way.

It looks like i will need to ride this and space mountain a few times for the old Nostalgia, as it will probably the last time I will go to WDW before they are refurbished.

darthjohnny

I think you misinterpreted what I said. First of all, the actual clone wars and TV show is a whole different beast, not the pre-quels nor the original films. However, if you look at the current merchandising, and especially the direction of many of the things LucasArts in particular is working on, you will see a return of much of the original trilogy in a lot of things, especially merchandising.

While they were pushing the prequels, everything had to do with that - most of the new figures, video games, even the MMO that takes place after Episode IV had tons of pre-quel content shoe-horned into it. I did not say that the original trilogy has taken over, but at least the licenising/merchandising people (for the time being) have realized that the people with the $$, i.e. the fans, want more of that era than the prequel stuff, and it's showing in the merchandise.

The Clone Wars and the TV show will be interesting. If people latch on to them (especially the latter) and want those types of items, that may change things, but right now the original characters are having quite a comback, especially when compared to just a couple of years ago when it was all about the prequels.

AEfx

You're right that the original trilogy has seen some resurgence ever since the release of the DVDs a few years ago. A lot of people like going for the retro Star Wars look like with clothing and such. But the Clone Wars of course features the characters from the prequels, so no doubt the will be a ton of focus on those characters.

I think that as time goes on, especially with both new TV shows that will deal with both the clone wars and the time between Episodes III and IV and Spike TV now showing all 6 films, it's not going to be the problem of promoting the old trilogy vs. the new trilogy, as much as it will be promoting Star Wars being one entire saga.

That's why I think a new Star Tours ride could go anyway in terms of what it will feature.

enjen

I'm going to the World for my first time in a bit over a week. I've only ever been on Star Tours in Paris, I think they're the same apart from the fact that one's all in French :p it's a favourite with my family, it ALWAYS makes me smile =D i LOVE it. And I absolutely love the 80s feel to it =D

AEfx

I think that as time goes on, especially with both new TV shows that will deal with both the clone wars and the time between Episodes III and IV and Spike TV now showing all 6 films, it's not going to be the problem of promoting the old trilogy vs. the new trilogy, as much as it will be promoting Star Wars being one entire saga.

That's why I think a new Star Tours ride could go anyway in terms of what it will feature.

I can definitely see that. I think it's telling that the new Force Unleashed game takes place between the trilogies, but features a lot of iconography and content from the latter films while still not being in the "classic" era.

I just have no doubt that we will not be seeing Jar Jar/Watoo/Ani in this attraction. For example, I would bet a thousand bucks it's not going to be a Podrace as was rumored many years ago.

I think they will make us (Star Wars fans) happy, in whatever form it takes. I just wish we didn't have to wait so darn long to find out! :)

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom