Star Tours

SWatsi

Oh yes I forgot to mention that. I do love the queue theme, I always want to take pictures, but no one is ever hanging around long enough for me to get the camera out. Thanks for reminding me about that..

In terms of the visuals, I do think they are fine, I don't have an issue with that, because I am too one of the people that think Star Wars (a new hope) is better looking than The Phantom Menace (and co).

The ride is great and I would hate to see it go away for a version that is more 'modern' 'kid'-friendly (like Back to the Future at Universal), it just needs some tlc and maybe something new to add a little surprise and draw some attention towards it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
sockpuppetpl1.jpg

That's priceless...I love the expression!

AEfx

Oh yes I forgot to mention that. I do love the queue theme, I always want to take pictures, but no one is ever hanging around long enough for me to get the camera out. Thanks for reminding me about that..

If you check the link in my signature, I have a few in my WDWMagic photo album. :)

AEfx

SiriusBlack

In terms of the visuals, I do think they are fine, I don't have an issue with that, because I am too one of the people that think Star Wars (a new hope) is better looking than The Phantom Menace (and co).

The ride is great and I would hate to see it go away for a version that is more 'modern' 'kid'-friendly (like Back to the Future at Universal), it just needs some tlc and maybe something new to add a little surprise and draw some attention towards it.

I do agree that the Que line is one of the best at Disney

hemloc

Bah, the best SW thingy in WDW is the LEGO Millennium Falcon on display in the LEGO store in DTD!!! I was gonna buy one until I saw how frikkin' huge it was(And god knows how long it would take to assemble!)!! Where would I put it??

SAV

My DD who is 7 and I both LOVE IT!!

Always remember to tell the CM "and also with you" after they say "May the force be with you".

LoriMistress

I heard from ITM podcast that there is a STRONG rumor that ST will be the next major refurbishment. But than again, it's just a rumor.

AEfx

LOL, apropos, but the 1000th issue of "Entertainment Weekly" came today, full of lists about the "new classics", i.e. lists of 1,000 things since 1983 they felt are now "classics".

The only theme park mention in the entire magazine was under "Tech", and Star Tours is at 22 right between Polyphonic ringtones and The Amazon Kindle. The description didn't seem terribly accurate though:

"11. Star Tours (1987) - An influential Disneyland ride that wasn't really a ride at all: Clever audiovisual effects make it seem like you are zooming through the cosmos with R2-D2 as you get jerked in a more or less stationary seat."

AEfx

jonnyc

Am I one of the only ones who still likes star tours?:lookaroun

-runs away and hides-

I am a huge fan myself, and am sceptical about the changes, Phantom Menace and whatever the second one was called (i am trying to block the entire film from my mind) were terrible.

They should of made a separate Star Wars themed ride IMO and expanded the ride. But thats probably because I love Star Tours the way it is :).

AEfx

I am a huge fan myself, and am sceptical about the changes, Phantom Menace and whatever the second one was called (i am trying to block the entire film from my mind) were terrible.

I don't think you guys are going to have to worry too much.

First of all, we know Anthony Daniels has recorded dialogue for the attraction, and although he does appear in the prequels at least it's not Jar Jar LOL.

Second, I occasionally have to work with Lucasfilm licensing and their policies, so I often get a feel for the overall tone they want for the franchise at whatever moment. Since Episode III hit, they have really shown an understanding that the fans are really attached to the original trilogy. No longer are they pushing Jar Jar and Wattoo (although I actually enjoy the latter, LOL), they realize that to many the Star Wars brand is Luke, Leia, and Han, not Padme, Qui'gon, etc.

Although I have no insider info on the attraction they are planning to redo it as, I have really good feelings about it. Star Tours is amazing, but it certainly is showing it's age. In the best of both worlds we could have old and new, but I honestly think that they understand what the fans want at this point, and know that the general public still thinks about Star Wars as the original trilogy mostly.

At least I hope. :)

AEfx

erasure fan1

Bah, the best SW thingy in WDW is the LEGO Millennium Falcon on display in the LEGO store in DTD!!! I was gonna buy one until I saw how frikkin' huge it was(And god knows how long it would take to assemble!)!! Where would I put it??
Yea that thing is crazy. My friend bought one and it took him 23hrs to put the thing together. :eek: I will say its very cool though, not 23hrs or 500$ cool, but cool none the less.

10179-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

I still love the ride but it does need the refurb thats been rumored. I get to take my daughter on it for the first time this year so I am excited about that.

Green Lantern

With the success Star Wars Weekends has been for them these past few years, I can't see them not doing an upgrade. New film released during Star Wars Weekends would pack us in faster than free drinks at the Mos Eisley Cantina!

AEfx

Yea that thing is crazy. My friend bought one and it took him 23hrs to put the thing together. :eek: I will say its very cool though, not 23hrs or 500$ cool, but cool none the less.

They have made a new Falcon toy too...not sure if it just came out, or if it's coming out, but I was just reading about it in Wired and while $150 is kinda steep, it's the first redesign of the toy since it's initial release in the 70's. Apparently the original mold finally gave out, so they redesigned the whole thing - and now you can actually fit 4 characters in the cockpit.

Now if only they'd make the Tantive IV...

With the success Star Wars Weekends has been for them these past few years, I can't see them not doing an upgrade. New film released during Star Wars Weekends would pack us in faster than free drinks at the Mos Eisley Cantina!

It's not a question of "if", it's "when", it's been unofficially confirmed (by Anthony Daniels in an interview) that the work has been going on behind the scenes. Most reports have more than just a new film, but new simulators, etc.

Who knows when, but many of us hope it's sooner rather than later. :)

AEfx

darthjohnny

I
Second, I occasionally have to work with Lucasfilm licensing and their policies, so I often get a feel for the overall tone they want for the franchise at whatever moment. Since Episode III hit, they have really shown an understanding that the fans are really attached to the original trilogy. No longer are they pushing Jar Jar and Wattoo (although I actually enjoy the latter, LOL), they realize that to many the Star Wars brand is Luke, Leia, and Han, not Padme, Qui'gon, etc.

I guess that's why they are focusing on all the new stuff from the Clone Wars movie and TV show....:lookaroun

jsfra209

Personally, I think star tours is a little outdated, but still charming in a nostalgic way. Although I would love to see another thrill ride (a la rock n roller coaster), I dont think its time to get rid of Star Tours just yet.

EPCOT Explorer

Did Jeany lose her old password and start a new nickname?
:lol::lol::lol:

*dies of giggles*

Personally, I think star tours is a little outdated, but still charming in a nostalgic way. Although I would love to see another thrill ride (a la rock n roller coaster), I dont think its time to get rid of Star Tours just yet.

And that's why I love it.

You gotta give these threads and the OP some credit...This a pretty nice talk about SW/ST.:lookaroun:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom