Star Tours: The Adventure Continues Composer

Jasonflz

Original Poster
I assume this means he wont be composing, rather patching Williams' exsisting themes up for the ride.

Most likely but you have to take in account any additional music that never has contained any of Williams music before. (pre-show vids, queue)

Bairstow

Honestly, some of his best composing (IMHO) was for the Medal of Honor video game series. "Arnhem Knights" may be the most hauntingly beautiful score written.

I wouldn't go THAT far, but his work on the Medal of Honor series is at least better than William's score for Saving Private Ryan, which it was supposed to emulate.

Giacchino has a long history of mimicking, and often exceeding the work of John Williams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTRIJx0Hck&feature=related

He does a pretty mean John Barry impression too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_USJXZ818

Not too mention Max Steiner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhIX4qr9JI

imagineer boy

I don't know, for me Giacchino has a long way to go before he can exceed John Williams. He has done some great work (loved his score for Star Trek), but he hasn't done anything that's become as iconic as Williams' scores.

Strange and I may find that hard to believe with the fact that just recently he composed the musical scores for Harry Potter and The Forbidden Journey.

His music was used, but he didn't work on that at all.

Giacchino is only writing a very small amount of original music for Star Tours. Mostly he has been asked to adapt music from the six films.

mp2bill

I don't know, for me Giacchino has a long way to go before he can exceed John Williams. He has done some great work (loved his score for Star Trek), but he hasn't done anything that's become as iconic as Williams' scores.

I agree. He has a very, very, long way to go. Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, E.T., Superman, Schindler's List, Home Alone, 3 Harry Potter films (the best ones...musically), Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, JFK, and Saving Private Ryan among others. Also, the 1964 Olympics and director of the Boston Pops for 13 years and 4 Golden Globes, 21 Grammys, and 5 Oscars (being nominated for 45 overall; the second most ever, behind...Walt Disney).

Michael Giacchino is good, but you're right. He has a long way to go.

Bairstow

If we're talking body of work, no, but give Giacchino a little time.

And to be fair with John Williams, his music has certainly attributed to the success of films like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and especially Jaws, but that street runs both ways...

Conversely, take something like "Eragon:" If the rest of the movie hadn't been crap you might actually recognize some of Patrick Doyle's great themes for it.

And I still stand by my comment about Giacchino being better at writing John Williams music than John Williams is, at least in the last couple years.

If I hadn't heard of either work and you gave me the soundtracks for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Indiana Jones and the Crystal skull and then asked me which one was a REAL John Williams score I would have guessed wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom