SSE Lighting Design Work?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just a query...

Anyone think lately that they're working on Spaceship Earth's exterior lighting design?

I ran across these pics on the web:

http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php...ask=view&id=98&Itemid=65&limit=1&limitstart=3

They're from the last few days. I had honestly wondered myself if the orangey-red-pink design was newish when i saw much of SSE in that color in my photos, but later at night it looked pretty much the same as usual.

However, in those above photos, it looks like only the lower part of SSE is really lit and colored.. leading me to think maybe they're starting work on a new lighting design? Whatcha think?

askmike1

That's usually how it looks at that time of the day. The bottom lights, being more red-ish and closer to the structure itself will appear much brighter in the earlier portion of the evening than the dark blue lights for the top.

EPCOT_Man

They probably are getting a new lighting system. Siemens or Sony could provide the technology for it. If it is like that, then it would be like the competition to see who gets to light up the Empire State Building with LEDs.

Cmdr_Crimson

I mentioned this in another post but just like they have on cinderella castle placing random strobes on the geosphere would look incredible!

nbodyhome

Those are my pics, thanks! I am not sure they are doing anything different or not - it's hard to tell, that wand was in the way of everything for so long!

It was also raining horribly that day, so everything might look a little skewed. My husband used to drive monorails, and he showed me on Google Earth where much of the lighting was coming from (though they may change it, of course). My camera died before it got totally dark also. :( So maybe this week I can stay later for more photos, once I have a new camera - and if it's not pouring out.

Denise

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm really hoping to have it shift colors like it used to. Then they could light it different colors for different occasions. Green for St. Patricks day, Red/White/Blue for 4th of July, etc....

EPCOT_Man

I'm really hoping to have it shift colors like it used to. Then they could light it different colors for different occasions. Green for St. Patricks day, Red/White/Blue for 4th of July, etc....

Especially if they get new lighting. They'd be abl;e to get hundreds of colors compared to the 10+ colors.

goofyfan13

It was also raining horribly that day, so everything might look a little skewed.

I was there that day too, man was it nasty. I was originally at AK, so I just left once it started to downpour.

But yea, I'm hoping that we get a kick-*** new lighting package for SSE.

CrashNet

The technology they are using to light SSE is definitely outdated. There are solutions much better that use less electricity and don't require so much time to warm up.

Who knows...nothing has really been said about the lighting design on SSE. One thing to take note of though: some of the lighting was repositioned to light the wand. From what I can tell, it doesn't look any different.

nbodyhome

I was there that day too, man was it nasty. I was originally at AK, so I just left once it started to downpour.

But yea, I'm hoping that we get a kick-*** new lighting package for SSE.

You live here too - it was amazing, just not stopping at all. I rode the monorail a number of extra loops to keep out of the lightning. I don't remember the last time I've seen it that continuous, it was like an 8 hour mess (with hours of lightning, very strong and close).

I took my smaller (and working!) camera today, I'll have more pics up later. But I agree, I'd love to see some even better lighting on SE!

Denise

goofyfan13

You live here too - it was amazing, just not stopping at all. I rode the monorail a number of extra loops to keep out of the lightning. I don't remember the last time I've seen it that continuous, it was like an 8 hour mess (with hours of lightning, very strong and close).

I took my smaller (and working!) camera today, I'll have more pics up later. But I agree, I'd love to see some even better lighting on SE!

Denise

Not sure if you saw the radar at all that day, but it just kinda popped up all over Florida and hovered, there was little to no movement of that system at all.

ROEFan88

While I would love to see SSE get new lighting (and I'm sure it probably will) just seeing these photos brings a huge :) to my face......

I still can't seem to get my head around it... IT'S GONE!!! :D :sohappy:

For the first time EVER we can watch Reflections Of Earth at night with a glorious wandless SSE in the background... I CANNOT WAIT to get back there. Hopefully it'll look even better with new lighting, but I'm happy with it the way it is...:)

BRER STITCH

Good Golly!

If we can do this to a raging waterfall...

niagarafallsnight.jpg

They can certainly come up with something creative for the Wandless Wonder of Epcot!

:lol:

nbodyhome

Not sure if you saw the radar at all that day, but it just kinda popped up all over Florida and hovered, there was little to no movement of that system at all.

No, I was at Disney all day! I had heard that we might get a little rain, but we spent an hour or more in the Pirates shop while it poured, and then I went to Epcot - and spent nearly an hour on various monorails (including twice on the Epcot line) waiting for the torrential rain and heavy lightning to go away. That was very intense! I felt bad for a family who was told by Disney that they'd be penalized if they missed their princess dinner in Epcot. The weather was really awful when they got off the train (I stayed on another round). I don't think it was bad here in Seminole County.

I put up some more pics from Epcot today if anyone is interested - I was meeting my parents again. I also put up some from Toy Story Mania. It was a gorgeous (but hot) day out. Now raining, but I'm home!

Spaceship Earth looks incredible, I am SO happy it's back.

Here is one photo from today:

se2-4.jpg

Denise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom