SSE: Finishing Touches Phase Update 1/17/08

LongballMG

Original Poster
Straight from the Cast Portal:

(First, I know this has been posted many times before. Don't flame me, please! This is only being reposted by me since it is straight from the Portal and was posted on said Portal yesterday!)

Spaceship Earth is currently open in its finishing touches phase. The attraction will close Saturday, February 9 through Thursday, February 14, reopening Friday February 15, 2008, to add the final touches in preparation for its grand reopening in mid-February.

Through a partnership with Siemens we are building upon Spaceship Earth’s existing attraction and taking it to the next level of innovation. Spaceship Earth is closed for renovations to combine the classic attraction time-travel adventure into the past with a new interactive conclusion. Transformations will encompass dramatic lighting effects, vibrant new costumes, detailed set decoration, enhanced staging, new narration and a new musical score. Three new show scenes that focus on the evolution of computers also will be added to the attraction.

This is straight from the Cast Portal... take it and run with it

~Mike

mitchk

I can't wait to judge this whole Spaceship Earth rehab in perason in April. I've heard some many good, and bad reviews, I'll have to see it in person. Hopefully the decent has a lot of new effects that just haven't been turned on yet :)

EPCOT.nut

Hmmm maybe they are adding a dimmer or off button for the touch screens?
The first part of the ride is so great I just don't see how they can change anything. With the computers, maybe they are going to add today's kind of computers? What's there is still pretty archaic-looking. Who knows?!?

Thanks for the information, though. :)

The MaD Hatter

It doesn't sound like they have much time to do much of anything, but here's hoping they do something, anything, to the descent. At the very least bring back the city of the future and the small SE model.

CaptainMichael

It doesn't sound like they have much time to do much of anything, but here's hoping they do something, anything, to the descent. At the very least bring back the city of the future and the small SE model.

Perhaps there are already things behind the black curtains:drevil:

Of course, that's just speculation on my part, but some things look temporary...like countless people have mentioned.

PeoplemoverTTA

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but when I rode SSE yesterday (last minute decision to buy an AP I couldn't afford), they put my face on the guy instead of the girl! I was pretty offended :rolleyes:.

For the record, I mostly stayed out of the debate (and even tried to remain optimistic) about the SSE refurb. Now that I've experienced it, let me just say I was really disappointed. While I at first didn't mind the narration, experiencing it while actually riding is very different. The score didn't do anything for me, and the ending really left me feeling down about the whole thing (not just because of the above complaint :)).

I spoke to several cast members in Epcot, DHS, and MK who felt the same way. One person at Guest Relations in the Magic Kingdom said that "everyone" there knows how upset people are about it...unfortunately there was no mention of anything being done about it.

Just got home from the AP, more scoop to come (including PoD and BPB) tomorrow.

aladdin2007

this short closure is interesting though. While I agree its not really enough time to do much, maybe a couple little things will be fixed like fixing the newspaper boy or bringing back the little chariot. But as for the descent is that really enough time to do anything? Maybe they really are aware of all the negative feedback and are going to pull the curtains down but it didnt look like they would be going anywhere when I rode. One interesting area to me though was where the model of spaceship earth use to hang, that long deep space in there was all dark and it looked like something more was going to be done there perhaps?

BillyBuff

I was there last week and got to ride it even though there was a sign that says "Open in Mid February". I should've taken a photo of that sign but my girlfriend was pulling me since the line was moving fast and the people behind me got antsy...

2190964639_0809bfef39.jpg

Expo_Seeker40

Well I went back and looked at my video of being evacuated in 180top.

From watching it and remembering a few key things....there is nothing thats going to happen in the planeterium or the space station scene. It's done.

The gas clouds and lightning effect are all there amongst the stars so that isn't going anywhere.

Now imagine you are going backwards. On your right would be the fiber optic city......but on your left.....the entire way down the left hand wall which has the evacuation path next to it....is indeed finished. It is black painted, tighly fabric draped...and even padded in certain areas for sound and lighting.

This was was never used if memory serves me correct in the 1994 rehab.

What does interest me is that the entire peppers ghost effect i.e. people talking on videophones all the way to the fiber optic city is....if you could imagine....curtain panels....:lookaroun

What I mean is each curtain is like a rectangle...and it is stretched beyond belief to the max...and is stapled to another rectangle proportioned curtain. These curtains are VERY close to the time machine vehicles. They COVER over what ever is behind them. Whether that be the old 1994 scenes or something new....but this whole area...people talking on video phones to fiber optic city clearly has something temporary about it.

Now the chicken wire you people speak of...thats the 1994 overhang canopy. It runs from the model of SSE....which is nothing more than an empty alcove...and the canopy runs into a wall and stops there.

The reason why you can see the chicken wire is due to the touch screens light....but even in earlier rides of SSE i.e. 2006 I was looking around the descent and could see the chicken wire and black curtains in certain spots.

The chicken wire canopy from reviewing my video only has the thick neon tubes that were pink and green and traveled all the way down the ceiling to the very end where they met the AT&T connects you anytime anywhere sign.

The fiber optic lights from 1994 might still be attached to the canopy...but they aren't in motion...but there is still white lights attached to them. Whether this is a 2007 edition of white lights, I don't know.

I do know that the model of SSE does not have the model there...but the fiber optic lights in that area from 1994 are still working. :brick:

The very last corridor of the descent which used to have the projections of facts and figures and the imfamous peg board walls from 1982-1994....which the blue grid pays tribute to.....this area since 1994 continues to be gutted and gone with nothing but black curtains still used since 1994.

The ceiling however has black star curtains hanging from it. This is where some possible 1994 fiber optic effects may still be covered up. The walls however...left and right side have no star effects.

Hopefully the descenet...with whatever happens to it will be have a more fluid set of effects. These random areas of stars on this side and stars on that side but no stars in certain places is very haphazard.

P.S. I don't mind the Judi Dench narration....the original Vic Perrin Version was overly dramatic, and scientific, so many of you say you want Walter Cronkite back.....have you actually listened to his narration recently....the old man is in monotone.....he probably was reading the script and said "behold, the majesty of the sistine ceiling" and wondered to himself "how many more lines do I have to keep reading..."

While I think Jeremy Irons did the best version because it was a nice combination of science and facts, but had a great touch of drama and inspiration, Patrick Stewart would have been a good choice, but not if he were reading the script Dame Judi does.

You people say SSE should be like a story...well some stories need to be factual.

If one learns something at Epcot and can take it home with them...then SSE version 4 still does it.

Dame Judi is like our mentor or instructor. There even is a motherly or grandmotherly type approach to her narration, but it really feels like she's talking to us! :sohappy:

There were many times...especially by riding it in 2006 that I became bored with Irons narration and began looking at other things of interest in SSE...I began to fell seperated from him and his narration.

The music is nice, positive, upbeat. The only problem is is that it is forgettable. Tomorrow's child or even the 1994 musical ending could not work now because it would be hard to stare and concentrate at your screen...will honestly I think people just stare at themselves and don
t even bother wondering what the narrator is saying about their future because they are too busy laughing.

The track isn't the problem, and we know why the vehicles bump/jitter when they do, but it is still much better than what it used to be. The only problem areas are the sharp angles in the ascent and descent tunnel.

The ascent is amazing though! They kept the star ceiling...original from 1982...they have two new flat screens and speakers to acompany the star ceiling..there is new graphics and even closed captioning. The only complaint is that the random nightvision camera is still there and the lights in the load room don't work on the wall.

The mini camera room floating in space is cool. It draws you in and allows you to study it and anticipate it. It sits right at the bend in the ascent tunnel so that the rest of the tunnel gets darker and darker and so mysterious...it was great. It evokes the older ascent of years past...minus the fog machine...but it is a great entrance into the ride.

My only complaints were:

the cast members uniforms were meh....

the lights in the load weren't working

the random nightvision monitor is still there at the beginning of the tunnel

you can see the mechanics of the ascent tunnel in the area around the take your picture spot because of lighting

the audio was loud

the music, while nice, is forgettable

there is nothing great about the matrix tunnel...it has numerous light leaks, visible mechanics, and doesn't even cover the whole screen

180top is still a dismal planeterium with no proposed moon colony, or elaborate space station, which to this day, has never gotten past the fake moonrock cutouts. :cry:

The descent doesn't have alot going on in there..hopefully atleast for now

While the touch screens are nice..the paste your head/ animation is heavily seperated from the rest of the ride...and is nothing more than a pop culture fad. I see the touch screens being around through Siemens sponsorship..but this effect changing in a matter of years.

aladdin2007

Ugh, those curtain are the worst -- so cheap looking. :hurl: I've seen better theming at a carnival spook house.

true but I think I would rather see the chicken wire done away with before the curtians :shrug:
the twinkling lights on the curtains are kinda pretty, kinda I said :p

aladdin2007

Great post expo seeker, but dont you think the stars at the planeatrium top look better than ever before? It just seemed more clear and realistic to me.

Expo_Seeker40

After being stuck in 180top for 10 minutes...yes I can say the star projections do look clearer and brighter. They must have cleaned the film and projectors. The projection of earth also looks more vibrant.

However...because the matrix tunnel extends further into 180top than the old communications tunnel...we immediately rotate backwards and assume backwards motion the entire rest of the ride. We can't enjoy the earth projection, or the stars.

The stars do move across the ceiling, but you can only tell when the ride has stopped.

It just seems the bulk of the budget ends there in 180top. Old 1982 star projections and old 1994 earth projections and no substantial thing to look at...and the light leaking from the matrix tunnel allows one's eyes to adjust and easily see the outlines of all the behind the scenes rooms and even some of the moonrock cutouts. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom