SSE descent set pieces

DznyRktekt

Original Poster
Has anyone seen any of the former descent set pieces show up on ebay after the Spaceship Earth Refurbishment? (items such as the future city or the people communicating in the various scenes) I'm curious if they were destroyed upon removal.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I was under the impression those areas were just covered up? I havent ridden the new SSE yet...
Knowing Disney from the past, yes, they might have been covered up. With the extensive refurb that lasted so long, they might have gutted it. Hopefully not, That would give us somehting to "discover" one day when the site is slow and we feel that we need to b a little OCD.

Main Street USA

I'm pretty sure most of that stuff is still there, just covered up. I think some of the folks closer to the refurb posted about it in a few of the extensive "The SSE Changes Suck" threads.

Expo_Seeker40

the glittery city model is no longer there, merf took a picture of how the blue triangles form a shape and the area where the model used to be is completely baren.

They also took out the virtual classroom scene, as for the pepper's ghost effect of the people talking on videophones I'm not sure if thats still there covered up or not,

The interesting thing is................is that they still haven't "finished" the descent and they still have been tweaking with dench's narration and script.

It's just a matter of money so that phase 2 of this rehab can be completed

rows of palm trees, blue painted legs, and finished descent

:drevil:

SirGoofy

They ARE still there. I've seen them. A lot. It was odd evacuating people out of the ride and seeing them behind the curtains.

Expo_Seeker40

I thought they were there in January 08 when I was evacuated. Because the glitter city and the peppers ghost scene were covered with black sheets that were stretched and stapled to the max....yet when merf took that photo a few months ago it looks like glitter city is indeed gone.

wayneway

They ARE still there. I've seen them. A lot. It was odd evacuating people out of the ride and seeing them behind the curtains.

Some may be there behind the curtains, but some of the scene that went with the scenes that the curtains are covering were coming from the upper left of the track, hence the peppers ghost effect, all of the props that were on the left are gone. You could see them before by looking up there. I can remember seeing the explorer up there and the green fiber optics that bounced back and forth between people communicating, they were both reflections.

aladdin2007

The interesting thing is................is that they still haven't "finished" the descent and they still have been tweaking with dench's narration and script.
It's just a matter of money so that phase 2 of this rehab can be completed

But I wonder now though if they will still even bother? I mean they probably see it as "good enough" and the majority of guests dont care. However with so many complaints that were out there maybe it is still on their to do list.
Even though the glitter city is gone and all I just wish they would at least make the descent appear in better shape if they arent going to add any scenes or effects, but black curtains and wires, hanging insulation, and panels dont cut it.

kingslyZISSOU

I don't understand why it would need to be "finished". Isn't everyone busy watching their e-surence commercials?

Its hard to see anything else even if you try. those bright screens in that dark room.

What do you guys want to be finished? I don't understand

Expo_Seeker40

Martin would know more on what would need to be "finished", but from what little I gathered from someone a few months ago, when there is a malfunction with the touch screen and it turns off and reboots, or the facial recognition doesn't work, guests get frustrated and/or bored and begin looking around the descent only to see some scattered blue triangles, and some star curtains causing them to react and say "Oh snap girlfriend this ride sucks mmm mmm"

It's my personal opinion that if the descent is ever finished, that this will allow people something to see if their touch screen happens to not work, and I would really hope that they would make the create the future optional, that way I can just select my language and have the screen off for the rest of the ride and can enjoy the descent if it ever gets "finished"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. Siemens are aware of a large normal of complaints from regular guests of the big black void - either people not interested in the touch screens, screens not working, or people waiting for their future to begin. Time and money prevented anything being done before the ride reopened. The triangles that were added bit by bit are the start of a more elaborate finale to give the attraction itself a conclusion. 3rd shift plussing will continue for a while until the presentation is complete.

hpyhnt 1000

I personally believe the "your future" cartoon is placed in the wrong spot. Specifically, there is too much build-up to it. Lets be honest, the thing that gets everybody so excited about the videos isn't the fact that you answer six or seven question to "personalize" it; its the fact that you can see your face in the video (some of the time anyway). For the average guest, they could care less about what the video is about, just as long as their face is in it.

As it stands now, the touch screens make it difficult to put anything outside the ride vehicles. You're focus is suppossed to be on the video, not outside the vehicle, so, in theory, there doesn't need to be anything there because you're not suppossed to be looking there. If you are looking outside the vehicle, then you're defeating the purpose of the video.

Here's my idea of nice compromise: eliminate all the questions, but keep the video. Where you would normally be answering the questions, have one screen of options, ala Horizons, where you pick a category of the future (ex: healthcare, energy, transportation, etc.). Your video then plays as you proceed through the blue lights, showing future technologies and innovations for what you chose, and of course incorporating you face. The video would end where the old glitter city was.

From that point on, a new larger, more elaborate future vision would take you to the unload area. In this area, you combine all the options you had for the video. In other words, show that flying car you saw in the video. Show that new health scanner you saw in the video. Show that new energy harnessing power from the video. This way, it reinforces the idea that we all have a choice in our future, but at the same time, all of our futures are interconnected, and when brought together, can create a hopeful and spectacular vision of tomorrow.

This way, the video is still prominent, we still personalize the journey by choosing which video we wnat to see, and there is now something outside the vehicle to see that complements the video and ties everything together. That would be a SSE I would like to see (and it is very possible to do that, I might add).

EDIT: Sorry about my imagineering ramblings, but I had to get that out there. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom