SSE at Night

AdLibSean

Original Poster
I could've sworn that Spaceship Earth used to change colors at night, much like the castle. Is there any reason they stopped doing this and now stick to the current color scheme? (Which is getting kind of boring btw)

Lee

Adventurer
Not sure.
I do know that in the new book "The Imagineering Way", the lighting designer tells how he came up with the lighting scheme.
(The sunset.)
Could be that it's been this way all along.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
It used to in the 80's....

It shows pictures of the diffrent lighting/color schemes in the Imagineering book... or in "Walt Disney's EPCOT".. I forget which... I have to look it up...

Lee

Adventurer
You're right.
The more I think about it the more I remember.

I think I remember them projecting the map of the world on it in revolving lasers after Illuminations back in the early 1990's.

DMC-12

Found it.. page 161 ...upper right hand corner of the page, in the book "Walt Disney Imagineering"

"80 diffrent lighting fixtures... featuring many diffrent nightime moods...created by lighting designer Joe Falzetta"

Then... it shows 3 pics of diffrent lighting styles/colors. :) :wave:

WDW John

Originally posted by Lee
I think I remember them projecting the map of the world on it in revolving lasers after Illuminations back in the early 1990's.

Yeah, that was really cool. Then they went to the "25" with the little sparkles for the 25th anniversary. I think they should go back to something cool, not just the somewhat boring theme they currently have as AdLibSean pointed out.

SirNim

The many nighttime lighting moods of Spaceship Earth are (/were) magnificent. I hope that they are brought back soon, possibly with the removal of the aforementioned Mickey Wand.

daniam2188

Originally posted by Lee
Not sure.
I do know that in the new book "The Imagineering Way", the lighting designer tells how he came up with the lighting scheme.
(The sunset.)
Could be that it's been this way all along.

GREAT BOOK!!! just finished reading it on the plane this morning and it gave me lots of ideas and things to think about.

TrevEG

Originally posted by Magickndm
I wish they would remove the Mickey hand and the word Epcot...it's not like SSE isn't an icon on it's own.

Exactly. It's not like there's a giant banner that says Animal Kingdom hanging from the tree of life. So why should sse need one? And are there actually plans to remove the hand as SirNim briefly stated? Didn't it used to say 2000 for the millenium celebration? I thought that was the only reason it was up there in the first place.

PuertoRekinSam

Originally posted by TrevEG
Didn't it used to say 2000 for the millenium celebration? I thought that was the only reason it was up there in the first place.

The problem with taking it down was that it cost so much to put up. They want to make sure they are getting their $$$$ worth out of it.

Eljay

Originally posted by PuertoRekinSam
The problem with taking it down was that it cost so much to put up. They want to make sure they are getting their $$$$ worth out of it.

Oh yes indeed, that must have cost a lot. When you stand under it & look up - wow, it's big & impressive!

AdLibSean

Original Poster
I never thought of the wand as the problem but it makes sense. Still I wish they could find a way around that, b/c its would add a different mood to Future World at night.

DMC-12

Originally posted by AdLibSean
I took the liberty of scanning in the photo from the book for everyone to see. Here is the link

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=3406

Errr... Careful with the posting of (copyright) Images from the Imagineering book... people have been scolded at before on this site... for doing that... that is why I did not post the image... :lookaroun

Just a friendly heads up. :) :wave:

AdLibSean

Original Poster
Thanks :D I was wondering if it would be kosher me posting that or not, but I thought that with the various contests and such that go on the board, as well as various copywritten pictures in avatars, I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. But to head off a potential problem, I've removed the photo. Thanks DMC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom