SSE and IASW...travesty's

InfernalPenguin

We're back to you refusing to accept (a). WDI obviously accepted (a), but chose to ignore (b), and we ended up with patronizing fluff instead of a decent script. Tell me you honestly feel that script is intelligent.

And seriously, Starship Troopers in comparison to Hitchcock? Might as well thank the Phoenicians for our ABC's and the Romans for the World Wide Web!

What are you talking about, a decent script? Ok, what I'm sort of getting from this is you're saying DISNEY thinks people are stupid, and they want to put characters in the ride to get their attention, is that it?

Also, I'm not comparing Verhoeven to Hitchcock, you need to read what I was talking about. Comparing...pfft. What I'm saying is in both cases the movies are enjoyable even if you don't know the underlying subtext behind it.

Do you need to know that the movie is about nature's wrath and punishment of mankind, about the cataclysmic consequences of that which we cannot comprehend to find The Birds freaky? No. You also don't have to have read Phillip K. ________ (haha, oh that filter is hilarious!) to find Total Recall really awesome. I'm not comparing the two. I'm using them both as examples tho. I could use E.T. as an example too.

I guess overall the point I'm trying to make is that if putting disney characters in IASW can be seen as dumbing it down you might as well tell your kid to put his toys down and go read Kafka...

...or something like that. I forgot why it was that I had refrained from commenting in the first place. This has so much to do with personal opinion. I keep forgetting there's still people out there that refer to Test Track as "World of Motion's Usurper" pretty much.

No arguing about taste I guess. I got pretty upset when they removed the Ghostbusters show from Universal because I grew up with it. I can see where you're coming from.

Wilt Dasney

...and the reason is?

EDIT: I was responding to wilt

It's just one of those clear dividing lines, like beer vs. wine or red state vs. blue state. I don't make the rules. :shrug:

(Or quite possibly I think the idea of trying to separate Disney fans into "smart" and "not smart" when we're all sitting online talking about an amusement park populated by people dressed as cartoon mice instead of finding the cure for cancer is fraught with hilarity and enjoy making fun of the whole concept. Loved the Tolstoy: the Ride line, by the way.)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You are only understanding The Birds on a base level. Even the "catalclysmic consequences of yadda yadda.." is the base level, which the film is not actually about - though you suggest that's some higher level of understanding.

Consider that none of what you think the film is -about- happens for the first 40mins of a 2 hour movie..

InfernalPenguin

You are only understanding The Birds on a base level. Even the "catalclysmic consequences of yadda yadda.." is the base level, which the film is not actually about - though you suggest that's some higher level of understanding.

Consider that none of what you think the film is -about- happens for the first 40mins of a 2 hour movie..

Then we get to the root of it: You're looking too hard.

Go watch Mulholland Dr.

Expo_Seeker40

I recently listened to the new SSE narration and just by eleminating a few lines, it's amazing how much more clear, direct, and -gasp- straightforward and proper the narration seems....ala cronkite style for those that enjoyed his narration.

These are lines in the script with various parts edited out of them or rearranged.

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship,our planet has sailed through the universe of time and for a brief moment we have been among its many passengers."

"Since the dawn of recorded history we've been inventing the future one step at a time, but we are we going, and what kind of future will be discover there?

The answers lie in our past.

I'll show you how our ancestors created the world we know today, and then it will be your turn to create the world of tomorrow.

Here is where our story begins....a hostile world...we are alone, struggling to survive, until we learn to communicate, and can hunt as a team...and survive...together!

It takes 15,000 years to come up with recording our knowledge on cave walls. When we moved, the recorded knowledge stayed behind!

This unknown egyptian pounding reeds flatt is inventing papyrus. Papyrus in turn creates better record keeping.

At this point, each civilization has its own form of writing, which none of the others can understand, but the Pheonencians, who trade with all of them create a simple common alphabet, adaptable to most langauges.

The ancient greeks were great inventors. First they established public schools, and then begin teaching an intruging new subject called mathematics.

With lessons learned from the Greeks, the Romans create a powerful empire. To move their armies around, they built a system of roads all over the known world.

Rome falls! Much of our knowledge is destroyed...lost forever!

It turns out there are copies of these books in libraries in the middle east being watched over by Merfs and Jewish scholars.

In Europe, Monks toil endlessly recording books by hand, but that's about to change...

In 1450, Guttenburg invents the moveable type printing press. Now knowledge can travel as fast as these new books!

The result is an incredible explosion of innovation...the renaissance!

Communications technology races headlong into the future. People all over the world are sharing life's most important moments faster than ever before.

By now we are communicating from anywhere on Earth, and in 1969...from somewhere else...

To send a man to the moon we had to invent a new language, spoken not by man, but by computer.

What if everyone could one of these machines in their own house, there's just one problem, they're as big as a house!

The solution comes in 1977 in a garage in california.

Young people with a passion for shaping the future but the power of the computer into everyone's hands.

After 30,000 years of time travel here we are....a truly global community, poised to shape the future of Spaceship Earth!

The choices we have made have been inventing the future one step at a time. Now it's your turn!

*does the whole essurance flash film with people laughing and screaming and taking photos and video of themselves and their flash animation in complete darkness with a few random triangles here and there covering the chickenwire*

While no one knows for sure what we may see or do, I do know it will be an adventure. Here's to the next 30,000 years on Spaceship Earth.

There....does that please everyone? :wave:

ChrisQ

We don't really hate Stitch himself ( I too really enjoyed the movie ), but most people have just become very sick of him because of his constant over-marketing by Disney and his lackluster attraction that replaced a good one.

And for me, I hate that Disney tries to position him as some sort of "classic" character. Example: I bought some Classic Disney figurines for my niece for Valentine's Day, and they included Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Chip, Dale, Dumbo, Bambi, and...Stitch! It seems like you see him everywhere, and it's just too much for me.

hpyhnt 1000

It takes 15,000 years to come up with recording our knowledge on cave walls. When we moved, the recorded knowledge stayed behind!
I personaly don't like this line. To me, the phrase "It takes 15,000 years to come up with...(the next bright idea)" is somewhat condescending. For me, there's an implied tone of "What took you guys so long?" A better way would be simply to say, "Fifteen thousand years later, we begin to record our knowledge on cave walls."

This unknown egyptian pounding reeds flatt is inventing papyrus. Papyrus in turn creates better record keeping.
Still don't like the reference of "this unknown Egyptian." Why not just say, "Egyptians were the first to discover that by pounding reeds flat, they could invent papyrus, a form of paper."

At this point, each civilization has its own form of writing, which none of the others can understand, but the Pheonencians, who trade with all of them create a simple common alphabet, adaptable to most langauges.
Amazing how deleting the ABC's line makes such a difference. Much better!

It turns out there are copies of these books in libraries in the middle east being watched over by Merfs and Jewish scholars.
Hm! I don't think Merfs is right. (wink, wink)

In Europe, Monks toil endlessly recording books by hand, but that's about to change...
I feel this line needs more. Why were the monks recording books by hand? Something more along the lines of, "In Europe, Monks toil endlessly recording books by hand, saving vital knowledge for future generations. But that's about to change..." Now the reason for why Monks were writing by hand is clear.

In 1450, Guttenburg invents the moveable type printing press. Now knowledge can travel as fast as these new books! The result is an incredible explosion of innovation...the renaissance!
I would prefer to see something more like, "In 1450, the moveable type printing press is born. Now, information can be spread faster than ever, and the result is an incredible explosion of creativity and innovation...the Renaissance!

After 30,000 years of time travel here we are....a truly global community, poised to shape the future of Spaceship Earth!
The only line in the entire new script that comes remotely close to matching the majesty and granduer of the previous version.

While no one knows for sure what we may see or do, I do know it will be an adventure. Here's to the next 30,000 years on Spaceship Earth.
Better, but could still more thought provoking.

There....does that please everyone? :wave:
Overall, better, but could still be improved.

*All opinions and revisions stated above are those exclusively of hpyhnt 1000.* (Just to protect myself) :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

Thank you for your opinion, but I don't like some of the lines myself. I just used the current narration and edited out various things. I restricted myself to just that rather than coming up with a new script all together (which I would prefer to do), but to rather show what the current script could look like with various things removed. :wave:

Actually you can read a scenerio I created with the current SSE in the imagineer section on WDWmagic, I would appreciate feedback on it. Thanks!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The problem isn't people not being intelligent, or not wanting to think. It's people that assume that they are stupid... or that they don't want to think.

Good point. We should be debating the pros and cons of the new aesthetic in SSE and the proposed change to IASW without implying people who like either are stupid. My mom thought Monty Python's Flying Circus was dumb, but she didn't my dad and I were dumb for liking it.

MuRkErY

Original Poster
It's a world of franchise
It's a world of fun
Piles of plush mean profit for everyone
Wonder, Magic or Dream
In our marketing scheme
It's a mall world after all

It's a mall, mall world

There is just one Pooh
In Britannia
Tour a Hannah Montana, America
And in Europe, monsieur
You’ll find a Princess du jour!

It's a mall, mall world

On the Islands your VISA can charge a Stitch
In Japan, retro Oswald will make us rich
High School, Pirates or Cars
The global ‘tween niche is ours

It's a mall, mall world

While the purists hold tribute to Uncle Walt
Their disinterest in money is not our fault
Now Mary's color gives flair
To a consumer toy fair

It's a mall, mall world

It's a mall, world.... a mall world after aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall!

LoL. Credit to Merlin Jones from Reimagineering.

DisneyNut2007

I absolutely despise the Re-Imagineering blog. It lays out the unvarnished truth about the views of a few Disney "purists" and oftentimes follows up ridiculous suggestions to put the company out of business. :zipit:

Eureka moment there, huh? Everyone must be dumb if they enjoy being entertained on a Disney ride. I love that argument. :rolleyes:

[/color]

Yep, the evidence of that is overwhelming. Oh, wait, no... the evidence is actually the opposite. :drevil:

I couldn't agree more. The Re-Imagineering blog is AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!!! :hurl:

It's one of the WORST Disney blogs ever, right next to MiceAge. Heck, even WDWMagic is a joke nowadays! :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom