SSE and IASW...travesty's

cant we all just get along and focus our attention on how bad the canada video is....

sorry canadians... :lookaroun *watching my back for incoming hockey stick blows*

EpcotServo

Agreed!

They would welcome changes that refreshed attractions and brought more popularity to showcase their work. Times have changed... Leave it to Beaver is not the entertainment of today. I just can't understand why some think attractions should not attempt to follow the evolution of lifestyles and choices.

I know! I just REFUSE to believe that the Imagineers of old were a bunch of stuck-up people that believed that the work they did was 100% perfect and that it should be left the same for all time.

They were normal people, like you or me. They just had a talent for making magic.
:D

MuRkErY

Original Poster
THE FUNNY PART: I don't think Mary Blair or ANY of the old Imagineers would care at all about changes. Heck, I'm sure they'd be the first to admit that the rainforest part isn't THAT great. I'm sure they'd just be happy that it's lasted SO long in time to only NOW get a few minor changes. The only ones getting mad over change are the people that would make the unfounded claim that the Imagineers of old would've had a fit.

They were nice people. They didn't care about change. In fact, they were the ones who always WANTED change.

They wanted change... for the better not for the worse. CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE. Is that all the people who apologise for Disney’s poor efforts post? Without even stopping to think of the merits of each individual change. Change like I have all ready stated is not all ways good. JII for JIYI............and I bet somebody round here still probably shouted CHANGE. I was shouting change too, Disney Short Changed me with this piece of crap refurb.

The rainforest part is not that great... so make it better, plus IT, improve upon it. I saw somebody post here a great way to improve IASW would be too replace the AA's with the ones from Sinbad, now THAT is plusing an attraction, that is change for the better.

Eureka moment there, huh? Everyone must be dumb if they enjoy being entertained on a Disney ride. I love that argument.

If it isn’t the resident Disney corporate apologist. Do you scan the forums all day searching for any slight on the WDC which you then have to rebuke as if it’ a personal insult? I did not say that people who get entertained on Disney attractions are dumb… gg for putting words in my mouth. I was pointing out a very obvious current trend in Disney. The dumbing down and speeding up of everything, as if the world is full of people with ADD with an attention span of 1 second that wont be able to “get” anything unless it has a known quantity (Such as a character, or brand, or whatever) all ready attached to it.

wannab@dis

Nobody is stopping you from visiting your museums. Go and enjoy. Just keep it at the museum and not in the theme parks. ;)

Of course, maybe they will construct Everest or Soarin in your local museum. :rolleyes:

Expo_Seeker40

I know because museums are so unpopular these days no?

Like when I went to the Metropolitan Museum this past weekend and visited the Museum of Natural History. The school groups, the children, the teeneagers all running around saying "Look at this" "cool" "wow". Sure there was a grandpa passed out on a bench, a baby sleeping in a stroller, and a few girls texting one another and saying "LIKE OMG Sarah TISNF being stuck here"

Like Kennedy Space Center and all the kids and teenagers there.

But musuems don't change. Nah uh. It's just that they have permanent collections of their most famous pieces, i.e small world, dumbo, etc and then new and changing exhibits i.e. what goes on in tomorrowland and they also sell tickets, have cafeteries, and gift shops

Crazy thing is some people visit museums and cities and that is their vacation. :rolleyes:

wannab@dis

I was all for Everest and Soarin.

Just like I was all for the HM refurb.

Examples of good change ^
No, examples of something YOU liked. There's is the crux of the issue. I can accept things that I don't like and see they are there for others to enjoy and for the overall good. Some, yeah, present company included, only think inside their own world. :wave:

Expo_Seeker40

* oh come along with meeeee to my little corner of the world....and dream a little dream...in my little corner of the worlddddd....* :lol:

Surge38

Can anybody please come up with a reason for adding Disney characters to IASW, how will it improve the theme, how will it improve the core message of the attraction, how will it improve the atmosphere of the attraction?

Whimsey?

For me, IASM was more than a social message. It was a whimsical fun ride, full of cute little characters that got my attention, and kept it. The point is to amuse and entertain us with it's cute sense of whimsey...so that the underlying message is delivered. If it wasn't fun or cute or interesting to look at we would never get, or care about the message the ride has anyway.

Honestly, how does adding stitch REALLY interefere with the message? To me, the ride is STILL about the same thing...only they've added something fresh, fun and cute. Belle being in France makes it no less about the world coming together. for that matter, neither does adding America at the end....I don't care WHAT the political climate is, this is about the IDEALISTIC version of the world. Every other country is alloweed it's own self pride...why not Us?

Just my opinion though.

MuRkErY

Original Poster
I can accept things that I don't like and see they are there for others to enjoy and for the overall good. Some, yeah, present company included, only think inside their own world.

No, I think of the overall good otherwise I would not even bother posting. The overall good is the soul of the company, and everytime Disney does something like Direct to DVD sequals, characters in IASW, the destruction of anything thought provoking in EPCOT etc... they rip a little more soul out of Walts original intent for Disney. I'm trying to protect Disney's core values, the things that made the company so great before the "Marketeers" took over.

wannab@dis

No, I think of the overall good otherwise I would not even bother posting. The overall good is the soul of the company, and everytime Disney does something like Direct to DVD sequals, characters in IASW, the destruction of anything thought provoking in EPCOT etc... they rip a little more soul out of Walts original intent for Disney. I'm trying to protect Disney's core values, the things that made the company so great before the "Marketeers" took over.
Interesting, Walt was the very first "Marketeer."

And, the core values... make money. Another thing Walt held dear. :wave:

MuRkErY

Original Poster
Walt never placed marketing over theme. Walt made money through quality. He offered a quality product which made money, simple.

The theme decided the product, then the product was marketed. Now the marketing decides the theme and the placement.

Expo_Seeker40

Make money....indeed and do it by having a balance of live and animated characters come off the screen and into his Magic Kingdom. People of all ages could interact with them. Catch a character-based themed parade and elegant fireworks show.

Make money by showing the public the fantastic and unique stories we enter.
Racing down the matterhorn on bobselds, drifting to the north pole on a submarine,seeing a movie in 360 degrees, see the possiblities of living in 1986 ( :eek: ), go to fantasyland with the kids and see cinderella, while exploring the realm of inner space in tomorrowland, sailing into the past with a gang of pirates, see ghosts, interact with a barbershop cortet, catch a glimpse of abe lincoln himself, go to the penny arcade, catch a quick rest in the local cinema, and head on a jungle cruise or see some singing birds.

Imagine the money he made from that because he showed the public what he was made of...what he could offer us.

Boy to think of the money Disney could make by making a tomorrowland that is completely brand new and redone and void of characters with the exception of mickey and goofy passing by in their space outfits, a tomorrowland where we can actually peoplemove about and possibly make stops elsewhere in the magic kingdom, kids enjoying the astro orbiter, taking a 21st century adventure thru inner space because why not revise old ideas..not like the average joe would even know what inner space is..disney could market it as a new attraction, we could also have a new trip the moon or mars, or maybe havea new encounter with an alien, blasting off on a refurbed space mountain, or dining in a space age themed restaurant.

I know..imagine the possibilites..imagine the money Disney would make by offering something for everyone in the magic kingdom, but not actually having each ride or show meant for a 4-13 year old.

Guess that's why most people think Disney is for kids and only kids. They plan their trip to WDW and gone is timekeeper and alien encounter. Woody and Gang flock around fronteirland, and Iago and Zazu choip and boip on the gurders of the tiki room.....but hey its what the public wants right? No official poling or massive surveys are ever done, but it must be what the public wants. :snore:

MuRkErY

Original Poster
I know..imagine the possibilites..imagine the money Disney would make by offering something for everyone in the magic kingdom, but not actually having each ride or show meant for a 4-13 year old.

Exactly, imagine the money Disney could make, by giving the public something they never knew they even needed, something the company used to do on a regular basis. Snow White, Disneyland, EPCOT are just a few examples. Shame that they now pander to what they "think" people want, rather than coming up with a true, unique vision that will blow everybody away. Just like they used to.

Wilt Dasney

Honestly, how does adding stitch REALLY interefere with the message? To me, the ride is STILL about the same thing...only they've added something fresh, fun and cute. Belle being in France makes it no less about the world coming together. for that matter, neither does adding America at the end....I don't care WHAT the political climate is, this is about the IDEALISTIC version of the world. Every other country is alloweed it's own self pride...why not Us?

Just my opinion though.

The bolded portion pretty much echoes my thoughts. If you're a fan of the ride's "message," it's not going to disappear because Aladdin is hiding in the background somewhere.

imagine_82

for my 2 cents...i think fizzle is on to something; we have to have a bit of faith & trust in the pixie dust! and really...if the project's a go, it's likely going to happen whether or not you like it. we might as well give it a chance.

so many people were railing agaist the idea of putting capt. jack into PoTC, but it really didn't turn out badly, and is interesting a whole new generation of fans. change can be great if done in the proper spirit! i'm more concerned about the design going away from blair's unique style than inserting characters and a new USA segment, but i don't think the project would be approved if it weren't cohesive with the whole.

and there have been refurbs that i haven't liked, figment for example, but i still go on it. it's still going to be a magical, entertaining place.

Expo_Seeker40

Give Disney a chance? Good Grief I've been giving them chances with Stitch, Monsters, Nemo, SSE, and now IASW?!

If enough people did complain like they did with Figment I wouldn't be suprised if certain things didn't happen to IASW.

As for Jack in pirates, yeah he's a funny character and some great AA's made for him, but evertime I ride pirates most people in the boat just gawk and point to him and try to find him, and 3 of my friends who went to MK last year for their first time said they thought pirates was created after the movie and when asked what else they enjoyed from the ride, they all agreed they spent the rest of the ride looking for jack sparrow and only remember him and the davy jones waterfall.

Wow...

But yes remember the magic is still there...give it 10 years and cinderella will be walking through fronteirland with a brown dress and cowgirl hat and that's ok because it's magical. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom