SPOILERS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 3

Phroobar

But that’s comics

Not the SAME MARKET as $300 mil movies .
iu

Kitty Pryde took over as Star Lord. She had a relationship with Peter.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok…I’ll give you A for effort 👍🏻
There's more, including Superman, Batman, Joker, Obi-Wan, Dumbledore, heck we have even multiple examples within the MCU itself with Rhodie and Bruce.

If the portrayal is done well audiences can accept recasting of iconic characters even in long running franchises.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's more, including Superman, Batman, Joker, Obi-Wan, Dumbledore, heck we have even multiple examples within the MCU itself with Rhodie and Bruce.

If the portrayal is done well audiences can accept recasting of iconic characters even in long running franchises.
It is possible for sure…I think the one ingredient you need is “time”…most of those examples had significant gaps.

It can’t be 4 movies a year on the schedule in phases

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It is possible for sure…I think the one ingredient you need is “time”…most of those examples had significant gaps.

It can’t be 4 movies a year on the schedule in phases
This debate has been had on this board many times before.

Time can help, but more its the portrayal that I think is the key ingredient. For example you had 3 actors playing Joker all within a ~10 year span. All were accepted, and all were iconic in their various different portrayals, including one of which that also made over $1B.

So yes its very much possible for another actor to step into a role that was already play by someone else, even in comic movies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This debate has been had on this board many times before.

Time can help, but more its the portrayal that I think is the key ingredient. For example you had 3 actors playing Joker all within a ~10 year span. All were accepted, and all were iconic in their various different portrayals, including one of which that also made over $1B.

So yes its very much possible for another actor to step into a role that was already play by someone else, even in comic movies.
I get your point…

But the joker is the best comic character ever written as often quoted by aficionados

…I think guardians is done. Just like black panther is done…

But where there’s a sequel…

Not sure about avengers or Spider-Man…but we shall see?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get your point…

But the joker is the best comic character ever written as often quoted by aficionados

…I think guardians is done. Just like black panther is done…

But where there’s a sequel…

Not sure about avengers or Spider-Man…but we shall see?
Well we already know there will be more Avengers and Spider-Man movies, so they aren't done.

Star Lord is coming back with Pratt in the role, this has been confirmed already, whether the existing Guardians or a new team are along for the ride or not who knows. Batista and Zaldana say they want to move on, with the latter even saying they should recast Gamora, but who knows.

BP is not done in my opinion, there is more story to tell there even if its with a new character wearing the suit. I suspect Prince Toussaint will be aged up at some point and take up where his father left off.

So yeah the MCU will move on and continue to use characters as needed even if its with new actors.

In the Parks
Yes
Saw it last night. Absolutely adored it. Not just my favourite Guardians film but my favourite MCU film so far (preferred it over Infinity War & Endgame).

Some general thoughts:
1.) All of Rocket's flashbacks made me cry. We're talking full on bawling in the cinema (thank god it was a funky showing with a small crowd). Everything from his first word being, "Hurts" to the slaughter of his friends. Floor's panic attack absolutely destroyed me.
2.) The High Evolutionary is hands down the most sadistic & wretched MCU villain since Thanos. I was anxiously waiting to see him get owned by the Guardians & it was so satisfying when it happened.
3.) Chris Pratt gave his best dramatic performance in this film. Star-Lord's comedy bits are always fun but it really hurts to see how much trauma he's been through.
4.) The film did a fantastic job of giving each member of the team their due time on screen. Every character went through a satisfying arc & it never felt forced.
5.) It's unfortunate that James Gunn won't be working with Marvel in the future. He's the only MCU director to consistently put out quality films. Our loss is DC's gain.

I could go on forever but I better stop now. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen & I'm gonna miss seeing this crew. This was phenomenal.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” was a huge undertaking for makeup head Alexei Dmitriew and hair department head Cassie Russek, who used over 22,500 prosthetics, 500 wigs and 130 facial hairpieces to create the movie’s galactic creatures. That number broke the world record for most prosthetics used in a film, previously held by “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”"

"It took a village of 75 makeup artists on set to complete the looks — sometimes there would be 90. “We had two people per prosthetic so we could just keep the times down,” Dmitriew says. “On this, we used 22,542 prosthetics, 117 pairs of contact lenses, and 500 wigs.”"

Full article below.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

James Gunn Always Knew How ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ Would End​

In a spoiler-filled interview, the writer-director discusses the characters’ surprising end points and his relief at bringing the trilogy to a close.​
May 12, 2023​
When a film is billed as the last installment of a trilogy, fans can’t help but speculate: Who’s going to die? A blockbuster franchise rarely wraps without a few significant casualties, each noble sacrifice underscoring the definitive end to come.​
But with “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” the writer-director James Gunn wanted to finish the trilogy on his own terms, even if that meant circumventing fan expectations. (Major spoilers follow.)​
The most surprising thing about the conclusion of this long-running Marvel series is that all of the main characters survive and even thrive. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) returns to Earth, the home planet he had avoided since childhood, and passes leadership of the Guardians to Rocket Raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper), who forms a new team featuring Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) and their reformed antagonist Adam Warlock (Will Poulter). Nebula (Karen Gillan) and Drax (Dave Bautista) stay behind to help the citizen settlers who’ve moved into the bustling space-base Knowhere, while Mantis (Pom Klementieff) departs on a solo journey to better understand herself.​
And Gamora (Zoe Saldaña)? Well, her path through the Marvel universe has been complicated: The Gamora we originally knew was murdered by her father, Thanos, back in “Avengers: Infinity War” (2018), then supplanted by a time-traveling variant who had no history with the Guardians. That new version gets roped into assisting the Guardians in “Vol. 3,” and though she comes to understand what the other Gamora might have felt for a still lovestruck Quill, she can’t get there herself and bids the group a bittersweet goodbye.​
The endings all feel more like new beginnings, and that’s a reflection of the deep affection Gunn feels for his ensemble: He wants the best for these characters, particularly Rocket, whom he admits to a “strange connection” with. He’s even had many of these outcomes in mind since he wrote the first “Guardians” (2014), though there was a time when he wondered if he’d get to see them through: As preproduction began on “Vol. 3,” he was briefly fired over a controversy involving his old tweets.​
Though Disney eventually rehired Gunn, making the movie had to wait. He had already been poached by Warner Bros. and DC Comics to direct “The Suicide Squad,” and that budding relationship proved so fruitful that Gunn will now oversee a total rehaul of DC’s slate, which will begin with a new take on Superman that he will direct. That means “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” is not just the end of a trilogy but the culmination of Gunn’s decade at Marvel.​
How does he feel now that it’s all come to a close? “Sad and proud,” he said by phone earlier this week, as he prepared to discuss the ending of “Vol. 3” in depth. “But I feel like we did what we set out to do and I don’t think we could have done it much better than how we did it.”​
All of the Guardians of the Galaxy survive the film and head out on new paths. Were you ever tempted to bring any of these characters to a more final end?
Gamora was going to die originally in “Vol. 2” [2017], and then we talked about it happening in “Infinity War” and that worked better for the story. But the rest of them, I always knew where they were going. I knew that the whole trilogy is about Rocket, who we think of as a supporting character, becoming the captain of the Guardians.​
The arc with Peter Quill, in some ways, you can look at as that of many people who have experienced childhood trauma. He was by his mother’s bedside when she died, and he ran away and went into outer space — which, for other people, could be shutting off from the world — and stayed there for a long time until he came to the realization as an adult that he needed to go back to Earth. That, for me, was always his journey.​
Nebula becomes a leader, but a different sort of leader from where she was. Mantis goes off on her own and takes care of herself because she lived by others’ rules her entire life. Drax realizes that he’s a father and that’s what he’s really good at — he’s not a destroyer. All those things, some more clearly than others, were in my mind from the first movie.​
Few Marvel series were as affected by the events of “Infinity War” and “Endgame” as “Guardians of the Galaxy.” How did you feel about having a lot of major plot points happen outside the films of your own trilogy?
A lot? I think there was only one.​
Well, Gamora’s death is the big one, but even her first kiss with Quill comes in “Infinity War” after the first two “Guardians” movies appear to be building to it.
I begged them to have that kiss in the movie, because it was necessary to really cement their relationship. I had a kiss in “Vol. 2” that I cut — it was awesome, but it came in a weird time. At the end of “Vol. 2,” you establish the fact that they have feelings for each other pretty distinctly, but in “Infinity War,” we needed to establish that they were now boyfriend-girlfriend and this was a normal thing for them. It wasn’t really about the kiss, it was about showing that they were now a couple.​
Was there ever an idea that Gamora would not come back in any form in “Vol. 3,” and Quill would have to deal with her absence?
That was a possibility, yes. He would be dealing with her loss, but she wouldn’t come back and confront him in this different way. I toyed with it a lot as I was writing the script.​
In another sort of movie, the new Gamora would have fallen in love with Quill, too. Instead, Quill gets to know her and eventually realizes he has to let his love go.
It’s something we do a lot in relationships anyway: We expect someone who reminds us of somebody from the past to be that somebody from the past. Especially with women, Peter Quill defines people around him to suit his own needs as opposed to really looking and seeing who they actually are as human beings. And Gamora is just not the same Gamora. She’s a different person.​
There are a few moments where it feels like you’re testing the chemistry between Quill and Nebula, which is intriguingly spiky. Did you ever think of going there with them?
I never thought about fully going there, but do I think that Nebula, emotionally, is sort of that mean schoolgirl who’s not going to show her feelings to anybody. Karen thinks that Nebula has a little bit of a crush on Quill that she doesn’t quite know how to put together, and it makes sense because as we come to them in “Vol. 3,” we realize that they are the two leaders of the Guardians. I think it’s very normal in any close friendship to have some sort of occasional romantic or crush-like feelings.​
When you’re crafting all these character endings, how much do you have to factor in the actor’s willingness to continue in the role? For instance, Dave Bautista has been pretty vocal about saying he’s finished. Does that affect the way you wrap up Drax’s story as opposed to Quill’s, since Chris Pratt is open to continuing?
Yeah, a little bit. Both Zoe and Dave have been very clear they’re not going to continue — likewise, me, actually. Chris is open to doing more stuff, although I think he has to be convinced. It does change some things: Like, I wouldn’t have had Dave in the post-credits scene. But I’m not sure if much would have changed beyond that.​
At what point in conceiving all of this did you know that you wanted to end this trilogy with a dance sequence set to “Dog Days Are Over” from Florence + the Machine? It’s a lot of responsibility to be the last music cue of such a song-laden franchise.
I’ve known it for a few years. I’ve known it far before I started writing the script, since I was writing “Vol. 2.” I’ve been a fan of that album and that song since it came out, and it’s pretty cool because I just got an email from Florence Welch, who posted herself watching the movie and crying on TikTok yesterday. I think it’s probably the greatest pop song of the 21st century.​
In previous movies, you did the motion-capture dancing for Groot yourself. Did you also do it in the “Dog Days Are Over” scene?
Yeah, and it was a high point in my life, really. My brother Sean is dancing for Rocket, and in the moment we were shooting the wide shot and dancing toward each other, it was surreal and beautiful and wonderful. We’ve been goofing around and playing with Fisher-Price characters since we were kids in our parents’ basement, and now we’re on the biggest set I’ve ever been on with gigantic Tinker Toys instead of smaller ones, but with that same purity and imagination we had as kids. Everybody was crying as it was happening. It was a really powerful moment.​
You directed all three films of this trilogy, which is a rarity at Marvel. Did you know from the beginning that you wanted to be at the helm throughout?
Yes. Everyone knows I was gone for a while, then I came back, and the reason I came back — because, frankly, I might not have otherwise — is I needed to tell Rocket’s story. I couldn’t have that stuff inside of me and not express it. I have a strange connection to that character where I feel like he deserves everything. This is a story about a character who goes from being a little smuggling thief to becoming the leader of the greatest team the universe has ever known. And his back story, the pain of where he came from, all the seeds that I dropped from “Vol. 1” when Peter Quill sees the injuries on his back, all of those things were leading to something, and it just felt stunted to cut it off there. It felt like I was setting all of that up and not finishing it. That was a hard pill for me to swallow.​
Most of these characters started the trilogy in a more selfish place, but few of them had further to go than Rocket.
I was very, very careful through all the movies, including the “Avengers” movies and “Thor” and everything, that Rocket never does one single action that is for anyone other than himself or his friends. He’s not a hero like the rest of them. Morally, he’s much more stunted than Nebula is by the end of the “Avengers” series. He has just cut himself off completely from feeling for people, and at the end of “Vol. 3,” in that moment where he accepts himself by taking those raccoons and then starts looking around the cages, that’s the moment to me where he sees, “Oh my God, everything is me. We’re all a part of this universe, and every life has purpose, meaning, and is worthy of respect.” That’s who he is now: He’s not a bad guy, he’s strictly a good guy.​
So what does it mean to you that Rocket is the one in charge when this film ends, just as you’re coming into your own as the one in charge at DC? Did you have to go through your own journey to get to a place where you’d feel comfortable with that kind of responsibility?
Oh, there’s no doubt that my journey is similar to Rocket’s. When it comes to those things I used to push other people away, accepting myself as I am, and accepting other people’s love, it’s been something that I’ve struggled with over the years and come to terms with much more than I have in the past.​
Now that you’ve managed to tell that story, what’s the overriding feeling? Is it satisfaction? Is it relief?
Satisfaction, relief and just a real gentle pat on my back going, “OK, now we’ve got the next phase to work on, and I’m comfortable doing that.” Whatever Marvel does with those characters, I can’t wait. I hope they use them. I can’t wait to see another filmmaker take on the Guardians, and I hope that they do it in a way that they take ownership of the characters. But I feel good, I feel happy. Making the friendships that I made on this film series and having people in my life who are my closest allies — I mean, I’ve been to five weddings of the Guardians. I was at Chris’s wedding, Chris spoke at my wedding. Pom was one of Karen’s bridesmaids. It’s a great little group of people and I am really, really lucky.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom