SPOILERS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 3

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s all too fringe. That’s what you never seem to grasp.
The MCU started on fringe, that is what you never seem to grasp. It was ALWAYS built on top of the fringe comic stories because Marvel didn't have access to the big A-list characters as they were with other studios.

But don't worry, as long as its not delayed because of the writers strike, your first non-fringe A-list characters will be coming in February 2025.

And they indeed have tried to slide people into avengers. It’s just not overt. But it hasn’t gotten any traction to speak of…
There hasn't been a new Avengers level threat yet in the MCU, hence we haven't seen an Avengers line up since End Game. They even made a joke about it in Quantumania, about how Scott hasn't been call by the Avengers recently.

So yeah the next time we see a new Avengers team will be likely right before Kang Dynasty. At which point we'll see if it "works" or not, I'm betting it will.

They don’t because they and regal are always close to bankruptcy
That was always in the cards for theaters long before the current MCU slate of films.

It absolutely would. Results based business…make good decisions and the people will come.
Ok, so what is your threshold? What would each film have to do to be good enough for you personally? Put a number on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The MCU started on fringe, that is what you never seem to grasp. It was ALWAYS built on top of the fringe comic stories because Marvel didn't have access to the big A-list characters as they were with other studios.

But don't worry, as long as its not delayed because of the writers strike, your first non-fringe A-list characters will be coming in February 2025.
Really? Who we got? Harrison ford? JJ abrams gonna direct?
There hasn't been a new Avengers level threat yet in the MCU, hence we haven't seen an Avengers line up since End Game. They even made a joke about it in Quantumania, about how Scott hasn't been call by the Avengers recently.
I bet Thor is around…funny how he got “reassigned” quietly again. But that Star is dimming too
So yeah the next time we see a new Avengers team will be likely right before Kang Dynasty. At which point we'll see if it "works" or not, I'm betting it will.
Nobody is gonna care…but let’s watch it play
Ok, so what is your threshold? What would each film have to do to be good enough for you personally? Put a number on it.
Growth. Like movement in the positive financial direction. Not more bleed and then “it ONLY made $650 mil 🙄” sarcastic quips that ignore the trends.

Trends are what Disney covets. With good reason.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Really? Who we got? Harrison ford? JJ abrams gonna direct?
You missed what I said completely. I didn't say A-list Hollywood Star, I said A-list character as in from the Marvel roster as in the first family.

I bet Thor is around…funny how he got “reassigned” quietly again. But that Star is dimming too
Lol, he hasn't been "reassigned".

Nobody is gonna care…but let’s watch it play
I didn't realize you now speak for all moviegoers on how they will feel 2 years from now.

Go ahead and keep telling me how I will feel about things 2 years from now. Because last I checked I was somebody and I care, and I'm sure there are others around here that also care.

Growth. Like movement in the positive financial direction. Not more bleed and then “it ONLY made $650 mil 🙄” sarcastic quips that ignore the trends.

Trends are what Disney covets. With good reason.
Growth? From what point? End Game? And what barometer you using for "positive financial direction"? As in each movie made at least $1 profit or does it have to clear some threshold and if so what is it?

Come on, put an actual number on it. What is it, $800M? 850M? 950M? 1.75B? $10B?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You missed what I said completely. I didn't say A-list Hollywood Star, I said A-list character as in from the Marvel roster as in the first family.
Fantastic four? Ouch. Never gets much traction…we’ll see.
Lol, he hasn't been "reassigned".
You didn’t notice they wrote him to guardians and then took him back out?
PSYCHE!!!
I didn't realize you now speak for all moviegoers on how they will feel 2 years from now.

Go ahead and keep telling me how I will feel about things 2 years from now. Because last I checked I was somebody and I care, and I'm sure there are others around here that also care.
I’m not telling you anything. I’m just looking at the clear trends over years. You do you
Growth? From what point? End Game? And what barometer you using for "positive financial direction"? As in each movie made at least $1 profit or does it have to clear some threshold and if so what is it?

Come on, put an actual number on it. What is it, $800M? 850M? 950M? 1.75B? $10B?
Stopping a slow slide. Stand-alone should be expected to make probably $800…and decent team movie maybe $1.2 in the new world?
But no exceptions

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 topped the global box office in its opening weekend, earning $118.4 million domestically and $170.9 million internationally for a combined total of $289.3 million. It posted the highest IMAX global opening of 2023—and, with $25 million, had the highest debut of the franchise.

The film is now the 32nd consecutive Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film to debut No. 1 at the domestic box office. With Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, MCU titles now account for six of the 12 movies that have opened to $100+ million since the start of the pandemic era. Internationally, the film opened at No. 1 in nearly all key markets, earning $62 million across Europe, $48 million across Asia-Pacific, $28 million in China, and $33 million across Latin America. The film has been “Certified Fresh” by Rotten Tomatoes; earned an “A” CinemaScore; and received five out of five stars on PostTrak."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fantastic four? Ouch. Never gets much traction…we’ll see.
Its the beginning of bringing in the A-list characters (outside of Spider-Man), first F4 and then Mutants.

You didn’t notice they wrote him to guardians and then took him back out?
PSYCHE!!!
LOL, He was never going to stay with the Guardians. It was part of his hero's journey to rediscover himself and his passions.

I’m not telling you anything. I’m just looking at the clear trends over years. You do you
Then don't say "nobody gonna care", because there are people that care including myself.

Also trends change all the time, they are never static.

Stopping a slow slide. Stand-alone should be expected to make probably $800…and decent team movie maybe $1.2 in the new world?
But no exceptions
Personally $800M is a bit high for me as an expectation for all standalone, between $600-$900M range is about right. And I would agree Avenger team up movies should be able to do $1B.

Also one has to allow for exceptions as there will always be outliers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Then don't say "nobody gonna care", because there are people that care including myself.
Right…well they need alot more of “you” to avoid drop and losses based on the trend lines
Also trends change all the time, they are never static.
Indeed. Christopher Nolan (probably 2 of the top 5 superhero movies ever) was very candid about not overextending a “good thing”. He was right
Personally $800M is a bit high for me as an expectation for all standalone, between $600-$900M range is about right. And I would agree Avenger team up movies should be able to do $1B.

Also one has to allow for exceptions as there will always be outliers.
They can’t really afford outliers.

Guardians had a $90 mil marketing budget…budget was like $250?

That’s a $700 mil break even point.

In todays dollars $600 isn’t gonna cut it. Herein lies the conundrum of diminishing returns. Last marvel was a a write down and previous two way came in under what they expected

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right…well they need alot more of “you” to avoid drop and losses based on the trend lines
For the event films like the Avengers, my take is people will show up. Since there hasn't been one since End Game, we don't know what the trend will be for those in this post End Game world. Just have to wait until Kang Dynasty to see.

Indeed. Christopher Nolan (probably 2 of the top 5 superhero movies ever) was very candid about not overextending a “good thing”. He was right
You're talking about the guy who screamed that Tenet be pushed out in theaters during a global pandemic and when people didn't show up as expected then blamed everyone but himself for its failure. But keeping it to Batman, even Nolan barely broke even with Batman Begins. And just because he never wanted to do more with his version of Batman doesn't mean the character shouldn't continue in some form.

They can’t really afford outliers.
Says who? Outside of a few hardcore online haters out there I'm not really hearing many cries for Disney to end MCU, slow down production yes, but not end it completely. Not even from the finance side of the world am I hearing cries that Disney should end the MCU.

So not sure why you think they "can't" afford some outliers that don't meet expectation? Not everything is going to be hit out of the park every time, no studio has ever done that. So you have to allow for outliers, that is just part of the game.

Guardians had a $90 mil marketing budget…budget was like $250?

That’s a $700 mil break even point.

In todays dollars $600 isn’t gonna cut it. Herein lies the conundrum of diminishing returns. Last marvel was a a write down and previous two way came in under what they expected
I've been saying for a long time now that budgets need to come down on MCU films. And hopefully with the head of VFX gone they can do that, as that is where a lot of the budget goes, and hopefully get better VFX in the process.

So $600M on a $150-$175M budget is very doable and acceptable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For the event films like the Avengers, my take is people will show up. Since there hasn't been one since End Game, we don't know what the trend will be for those in this post End Game world. Just have to wait until Kang Dynasty to see.
Well nobody has a clue about the kang dynasty and they aren’t on a meteoric rise like the thanos stuff…so we’ll see.
You're talking about the guy who screamed that Tenet be pushed out in theaters during a global pandemic and when people didn't show up as expected then blamed everyone but himself for its failure. But keeping it to Batman, even Nolan barely broke even with Batman Begins. And just because he never wanted to do more with his version of Batman doesn't mean the character shouldn't continue in some form.
He is an egotistical nut…but not wrong about supers.
And Batman begins is a fantastic movie that gets better with age. But it was also After Schumachered the character into the ground.

But a good launch yields big box office as happened with the Nolan trilogy…a lot of the MCU branches…Superman….the original X…
Says who? Outside of a few hardcore online haters out there I'm not really hearing many cries for Disney to end MCU, slow down production yes, but not end it completely. Not even from the finance side of the world am I hearing cries that Disney should end the MCU.

So not sure why you think they "can't" afford some outliers that don't meet expectation? Not everything is going to be hit out of the park every time, no studio has ever done that. So you have to allow for outliers, that is just part of the game.
You understand that’s not what Disney wants, right?

Ok. I’m not saying end any MCU…but a draw back and reset…kind like Batman…will inevitably happen. Hollywood is cyclical and superheroes are notorious for flaming out…in time.
I've been saying for a long time now that budgets need to come down on MCU films. And hopefully with the head of VFX gone they can do that, as that is where a lot of the budget goes, and hopefully get better VFX in the process.

So $600M on a $150-$175M budget is very doable and acceptable.
Yeah that’s a great idea. So you’re gonna handle producing from now on? 🤪

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well nobody has a clue about the kang dynasty and they aren’t on a meteoric rise like the thanos stuff…so we’ll see.
Nobody really had a clue about Thanos until about half way through Phase 2, this is no different.

He is an egotistical nut…but not wrong about supers.
With the way WB has treated DC over the years, yeah he is right within that DC world.

MCU is different though which is why its been successful even with missteps.

And what is WB doing now with DC, hmm where they get that idea from....

And Batman begins is a fantastic movie that gets better with age. But it was also After Schumachered the character into the ground.

But a good launch yields big box office as happened with the Nolan trilogy…a lot of the MCU branches…Superman….the original X…
Wasn't taking anything away from the movie. Just pointing out that even with everything going for it it still just broke even. You have those outliers, it happens, not every movie is going to hit it out of the park, it just won't happen.

You understand that’s not what Disney wants, right?
Disney "wants" many things.

Over the last couple years they have been willing to let their movies, including MCU movies, to be outliers in order to feed D+ and gain subs. So during that time they didn't care about BO as much as pre-2020. Now we're back to the point where BO does matter, but you still have to account for outliers, again its how the Hollywood machine works. We honestly needed an expectation reset as well anyways, as not every MCU film is going to do $1B or greater.

Ok. I’m not saying end any MCU…but a draw back and reset…kind like Batman…will inevitably happen. Hollywood is cyclical and superheroes are notorious for flaming out…in time.
Hmm, isn't that what the MCU is doing now, pulling back its release schedule to less films/shows being released yearly.

Yeah that’s a great idea. So you’re gonna handle producing from now on? 🤪
If they give me that sweet PGA money to go along with it, sure. But seriously I have a feeling we'll see lower budgets on some of the next MCU movies coming out over the next couple years.

tpoly88

I had a great time watching GOTGv3 last Saturday. It really shows what a talented director that has control over his film can do. It had a good LOTRs goodbye sequence and I enjoyed the preview of the new team. Best of all it had nothing to do with Kang or any Disney+ "heroes". This was the best MCU movie since End Game.
My wife and i saw it sunday morning at disney springs. liked the movie and told the backstory on Rocket and the high evolutionary. Always put him with battling spiderman in spiderman unlimited not the GOTG. i need to see it again as there is a lot to take in. was disappointed in the music i must say...

Phroobar

My wife and i saw it sunday morning at disney springs. liked the movie and told the backstory on Rocket and the high evolutionary. Always put him with battling spiderman in spiderman unlimited not the GOTG. i need to see it again as there is a lot to take in. was disappointed in the music i must say...
I agree. The music usually goes with the scene it is playing in. This time it didn't match.

tpoly88

I agree. The music usually goes with the scene it is playing in. This time it didn't match.
do have to say i was sad at the end to know this was the last guardians, even though Star Lord will return it said. You get to know these characters afters years and i hate to see it end. Like avengers with Iron Man, dont think anyone could be iron man again after Robert Downy Jr.

Phroobar

do have to say i was sad at the end to know this was the last guardians, even though Star Lord will return it said. You get to know these characters afters years and i hate to see it end. Like avengers with Iron Man, dont think anyone could be iron man again after Robert Downy Jr.
The comics have had other people be Star Lord. It hasn't always been Peter Quill.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This movie had more emotion than all the other MCU movies combined in my book.

And endings are hard. They did a great job with that. You always hope.

I spent years hoping after return of the Jedi they all would walk back in…and the lo and behold…

…wait a second, I’ll just hope guardians is over…cry…and quit while I’m ahead 🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom